It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens will be found by 2031 - Russian Astronomers say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
REMINDER:
**Posting Work Written by Others**
Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.

**Starting a New Thread**
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

**next time the thread will be trashed*

Human civilization may come into contact with the extraterrestrial civilizations within the next two decades, according to a top Russian astronomer.

Russian astronomers expect to find out and meet aliens by the year 2031, Andrei Finkelstein, director of the Russian Academy of Sciences' Applied Astronomy Institute, said on Monday, while speaking at an international forum dedicated to the search for extraterrestrial life.

“"The genesis of life is as inevitable as the formation of atoms. Life exists on other planets and we will find it within 20 years," he told Interfax news agency, adding that aliens would most likely resemble humans.

"The genesis of life is as inevitable as the formation of atoms. Life exists on other planets and we will find it within 20 years," he told Interfax news agency, adding that aliens would most likely resemble humans.

"

www.torontosun.com...
edit on 28-6-2011 by CountDrac because: (no reason given)

edit on June 28th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Saw this article earlier today. I wonder what he bases this guess on?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that when the full context of what Finklestein had to say is published it will be that he thinks we may receive an ET signal, not a face to face or even a two way conversation.

Our increasing ability to detect "earthlike" planets means we can concentrate the search for such a signal to more likely areas.
edit on 6/28/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Why in 20 years? According to this guy, aliens are there already.

Watch from 1:35 or so...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CountDrac

First off it should read Alien Civilizations Instead of Aliens (which could be any form of life discovered)

I've seen this on another website.

Although i like his confidence; i'm not to sure with the way funding is with most countries space programs that we will find other Sentients by 2031

Who knows though maybe we will.

I just don't see the funding yet... for the proper technology to achieve confirmation of other Sentient Civlizations

The Article has one big mistake Instead of Aliens it should read Sentients and/or Alien Civilization. Because it is talking about Advanced Civilizations etc.

"The genesis of life is as inevitable as the formation of atoms. Life exists on other planets and we will find it within 20 years,

" he told Interfax news agency, adding that aliens would most likely resemble humans. "They may have two arms, two legs and a head. They may have different color skin, but even we have that," he said.

This statement i quoted here is also a bit far-fetched or can i say Absurd

He jumped the Gun Yepper.

edit on 28-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I'm pretty sure that when the full context of what Finklestein had to say is published it will be that he thinks we may receive an ET signal, not a face to face or even a two way conversation.

Pretty bold statement considering seti is shut down.
I guess we will recieve said signals via youtube video perhaps.

Frankly, I don't understand why we are seeking out narrow radio waves for signs of advanced life...if we were fully digital, would we even hear ourselves from a different planet?

Might as well just use hubble to look for smoke signals

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Good Post! I really love how some countries, unlike America, encourage the open thought and discussion of exploring for "other life" beyond our own. It is simple minded, IMO to think we are alone and will never contact others.
S&F Thanks!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17
Why in 20 years? According to this guy, aliens are there already.

Watch from 1:35 or so...

That guy is a bit...whats the term...oh, right, "Touched" in the head.

Good entertainment though...but ya, he has been debunked 7 ways to tuesday...the only thing unique about him really is his strange cause of death..but, if he was nuts, then suddenly its not that strange...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
We can't even keep SETI going and it was being funded by contributors.

How does he expect we'll find them with a global collaspe coming?

Besides, if we to come in contact with aliens, they'll be the ones that find us. I'm sure they have anyway and moved on.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by QpenMinded
Good Post! I really love how some countries, unlike America, encourage the open thought and discussion of exploring for "other life" beyond our own. It is simple minded, IMO to think we are alone and will never contact others.
S&F Thanks!

unlike america?

You realize how many ufo folks have airtime?
discovery showing "ancient aliens" series, we even have a dedicated television network for speculation storys...ok, we used to until it turned to crap...but still

We have had presidents that have had "ufo" experiences (Carter), presidents outwardly seeking proof (Clinton) and presidents...that were pretty much men in black (bush sr.)

America is exceptionally vocal about their affinity for little green men.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I hope this guy is correct! would love to know if alien life forms are out there..

2nd

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
We can't even keep SETI going and it was being funded by contributors.

How does he expect we'll find them with a global collaspe coming?

ham radios perhaps.

or old school walkie talkies (like in the movie Signs)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I don't doubt that we will find evidence of some kind of life in the cosmos in this time frame whether its some sort of simple single celled organism or complex creatures such as humans. However, I doubt that we will be able to make any sort of contact not only because of the vast distances involved, but also because we just won't have any clue on how to communicate with them. Even supposing that we could somehow find a way to understand each other how do we know they are even listening or looking for contact? The only way I see any sort of communication taking place is if they come here to Earth and make the first contact.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I question his time frame .... within 20years .... I wonder what this is based on?

How does he know that the alien races that may exist are bipedal? Seems to be another pretty big assumption.

Even if there is life within reach of the immediate vicinity of our galaxy, how do we know that they will have evolved far enough to be able to develop technology that will allow detection/communication?

It may be that the universe is full of life but it is only at an Amoebic stage. On earth we have knowledge of only one race of beings(homo sapiens) that have evolved to a state of consciousness that allows for self-awareness.

Questions, upon questions, upon questions...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonATI

I think ongoing contact will be through quantum teleportation communication personally. that is instantanous no matter how far they are...so, we may not (at least initially) be able to take a ship over there, however, making a phone call may not be out of the question (so to speak)

As far as language barrier...meh, if their language has any coherent sense, it will be eventually understood

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
It may be that the universe is full of life but it is only at an Amoebic stage.

Or the opposite...we might finally get some new tech that allows us to explore space star trek style and find out the last race of beings died out billions of years ago and we are all thats left...a sort of liferaft planet in a otherwise wartorn and virus infected universe

=has a sad=
):-(

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonATI

I remember seeing a thread a week or two back that was going on about Quantum Entanglement or something that purportedly proved we could communicate FTL (Faster-Than-Light)

I have no idea how we would go about doing this though
Quantum Teleportation Acieved Over ten miles of Free Space

Quantum teleportation has achieved a new milestone or, should we say, a new ten-milestone: scientists have recently had success teleporting information between photons over a free space distance of nearly ten miles, an unprecedented length. The researchers who have accomplished this feat note that this brings us closer to communicating information without needing a traditional signal, and that the ten miles they have reached could span the distance between the surface of the earth and space. As we've explained before, "quantum teleportation" is quite different from how many people imagine teleportation to work. Rather than picking one thing up and placing it somewhere else, quantum teleportation involves entangling two things, like photons or ions, so their states are dependent on one another and each can be affected by the measurement of the other's state. When one of the items is sent a distance away, entanglement ensures that changing the state of one causes the other to change as well, allowing the teleportation of quantum information, if not matter. However, the distance particles can be from each other has been limited so far to a number of meters.

edit on 28-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
It may be that the universe is full of life but it is only at an Amoebic stage.

Or the opposite...we might finally get some new tech that allows us to explore space star trek style and find out the last race of beings died out billions of years ago and we are all thats left...a sort of liferaft planet in a otherwise wartorn and virus infected universe

=has a sad=
):-(

Very true.

I still hope that one day we may find Luke Skywalkers X-wing rusting in a space-craft wrecking yard somewhere.

edit on 28/6/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

This is where we need to get a quantum physicist in here to explain how to build a reciever that could pick up quantum communication.

I suspect the feat would not be easy given our fetus understanding of the field...but one day perhaps..

(then we can jump on the alien internet)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

If it's based on entanglement you still need to get the "receiver" particles from the point of origin to the destination. Once you do that you're all set, assuming you can resolve a lot of other difficulties. But you can't really intercept a transmission.

Sort of like Le Guin's ansible.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join