It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Teleportation takes the next step. Now functional

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well, it appears we have successfully teleported usable information from point to point instantaniously and perfectly.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a73529b7547.jpg[/atsimg]
(Picture of the quantum teleporter...bit big, but keep in mind, early computers took up large rooms. give it 50 years and it may be a handheld device)

In a real-life use of Schrödinger's theoretical paradoxical cat, researchers report that they were able to quickly transfer a complex set of quantum information while preserving its integrity. The information, in the form of light, was manipulated in such a way that it existed in two states at the same time, and it was destroyed in one spot and recreated in another. The new breakthrough is a major step toward building safe, effective quantum computers.

No cats were harmed in the process.

Now, this is exceptionally exciting...basically its lightwave teleportation..beam me up for the internet.

Although they tend to discuss this being a major success for quantum computing, I think a more profound implication will be a quantum internet. Computers may indeed become little more than recievers run by interfaces from hubs verses your desktop..but more importantly, someone on mars, or deep in space, will have realtime access to earth. hell, quantum theory notes that distance matters not, so a person at the other end of the universe could have a realtime discussion with earth.

ok, I may be jumping a bit ahead here, however, when you understand quantum entanglement principles mixed with functional technology, you realize just how interesting this is.

The results pave the way for high-speed, high-fidelity transmission of information, according to Elanor Huntington, a professor at the University of New South Wales in Australia who was part of the study.

“If we can do this, we can do just about any form of communication needed for any quantum technology,” she said in a news release.

Instead of using ones and zeroes, quantum computers store data as qubits, which can represent one and zero simultaneously. This superposition enables the computers to solve multiple problems at once. The new, faster teleportation process means scientists can move blocks of this quantum information around within a computer or across a network, Huntington said

Now
the question to you science nerds.

Can this (eventually) pave the way for actual solid physical teleportation (or recreation anyhow)?

In this experiment, researchers in Australia and Japan were able to transfer quantum information from one place to another without having to physically move it. It was destroyed in one place and instantly resurrected in another, “alive” again and unchanged. This is a major advance, as previous teleportation experiments were either very slow or caused some information to be lost

To me, this bit suggests yes...the exact description of Star Trek's teleportation.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc2be935ac95.jpg[/atsimg]

And for all you spiritualists and philosophers out there...
Would this exact copy, right down to the quantum level, be "you" or just a perfect copy of you...
Sort of gets into the subject of "what makes us, us"...

Source - PopSci

Next thought will be on the second post

Incidently, for some reason, I cannot search..so if this was posted before, my apologies, just link it up and close the thread.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Next quick thought:

If indeed the information can be transferred from one point to another instantaniously, does this pave the way for "replicators"...just sending information of say, a scanned cheeseburger that will be manifested at the other end?

this is going along the idea that physical teleportation can be possible through information and building processes...

This is a gamechanger for everything we know if possible.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Could this be the answer to the question; "If there's intelligent life out there, why haven't we seen their transmissions?" Maybe advanced civilisations are sending us messages using this technology, and we need to start building receivers? I'm not a scientist so that could be a really stupid question/statement. I'm prepared to take flak for it.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nonvexatious
Could this be the answer to the question; "If there's intelligent life out there, why haven't we seen their transmissions?" Maybe advanced civilisations are sending us messages using this technology, and we need to start building receivers? I'm not a scientist so that could be a really stupid question/statement. I'm prepared to take flak for it.

Actually, thats not a stupid question, but it is a question that has been asked before.
places like SETI seek out radio transmissions for "proof" of alien life, not quantum entanglement waves for actual building.

In perhaps 100 years, we will be a quiet planet...our information will be done through this medium overall, and so a earthlike planet listening in on our radiowaves in such a narrow bandwith would think we are lifeless also (potentially).

Would be interesting if we built a great reciever and started recieving loads of alien internet around the galaxy (I wonder if we would have to pay a subscription charge)
ok, I just jumped into total sci-fi..but pretty neat thought anyhow (concept for book/movie maybe?)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Technology is progressing at an exponential rate, so I wouldn't be surprised at anything they come up with. All that science fiction I read as a kid has come true in more ways than one.

I've been following quantum physics for quite a while now, and yes, quantum computers are the next big thing. What about AI when the first Q-Computers go online?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
With the idea of human transporters the part I am worried about is the "Destroying at one end" part - regardless if the end result is a perfect replica of the subject, I wouldn't be happy about it Oo

It would appear a lot more beneficial used in computing, no heat to limit the processing power.

Dunno, interesting stuff tho!!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
What about AI when the first Q-Computers go online?

I am more interested in HI over AI.

Human intelligence projects to artifically increase our processing and storage should be the true desire for us overall, not to have a machine outthink us in every way possible.

merge with the machine, self evolution...I trust my own processing ability that already has creative principles and morals encoded verses a machine that has none...however, it is also a bit scary when considering say, a fanatical sociopath super-genius hoard...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nonvexatious

I have been thinking that for years. If an Alien civilization is hundreds/thousands/millions of years more advanced than us why would they still be using an archaic technology like Radio waves? They would definitely have a faster, more advanced technology.

For example, lets look at some of our own tech we don't use. Say I recorded the best song in the world and put it on an 8-Track. Nobody would really be able to listen to it because we dont have the tech any more (yes I realize you can buy an 8-track player, but thats not the point).

If a civilization is millions of years advanced, they may not even remember using radio waves, kinda like us with the Baghdad Battery or the fact we don't know how a lot of the megalithic structures of the world were really built.

Hopefully I made my point, if not , eh lol

Thanks for sharing!

Mac

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The transporter on the original Star Trek was "made-up" because they didn't have the budget to build a shuttle craft as it was written in the script. That is why they introduced the transporter idea before they started using a shuttle craft later in the series. I know, off topic, but a neat bit of trivia.

Live long and prosper.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Excellent Find! S & F for you!! I will be following this thread closely and am anxious to hear what others much more knowledgable than I have to say about this quantum leap of technology! Thanks very much for sharing!!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
What I am having trouble with is that...how does this not eliminate the laws of special relativity...information cannot travel faster than light
yet with the process used here, distance means nothing..instant transfer of information from point to point...

now, they do go into how its not actually travelling verses ___(insert mind blowing rationale that goes way above me)__...but from a practical level, without getting involved in the absurdly complex science of it all, instant data from point to point = faster than light...instant is faster than light in my book.

very confusing stuff this quantum entanglement...and shows like an elegant universe and what the bleep do we know only serves to make me know less (considering one dumbs it down to sci-fi, and the other distorts it into quasi-spiritualism)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I don't think this device will lead to human teleportation because the original is destroyed at one end. The other is just a perfect copy. They aren't moving the object they are copying it.

However, they could learn things from this which might help them get closer to the goal of human teleportation.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by Nonvexatious

Actually, thats not a stupid question, but it is a question that has been asked before.
places like SETI seek out radio transmissions for "proof" of alien life, not quantum entanglement waves for actual building.

In perhaps 100 years, we will be a quiet planet...our information will be done through this medium overall, and so a earthlike planet listening in on our radiowaves in such a narrow bandwith would think we are lifeless also (potentially).

Would be interesting if we built a great reciever and started recieving loads of alien internet around the galaxy (I wonder if we would have to pay a subscription charge)
ok, I just jumped into total sci-fi..but pretty neat thought anyhow (concept for book/movie maybe?)

Isn't that what happens in William Gibson's Neuromancer - that an alien intelligence enters the internet? I always wondered how, physically, that would be possible, and this seems to provide an answer. But yes, we are in the realms of science fiction, admittedly...
edit on 12-6-2011 by Nonvexatious because: I hit reply before adding my comment

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Great post,

This is some good information and the reason you have information traveling at the speed of light is because relativity is meaningless on a quantum level. This is something scientist don't want to accept because of the implications. Things like space, time and gravity seem to be non existent on a quantum level which means the classical universe doesn't have an objective existence and it emerges from a quantum process and things like space, time and gravity lose any meaning on quantum levels.

Another interesting thing to ponder is faster than light communication. For instance, non locality occurs faster than light. www.nature.com...

So here's a hypothetical. Say there's quantum information cell phones. Let's call them Q-Phones. Now your friend walks out of the front door of his house and he gets shot and killed. When you find out your devestated. So you call your friend on the Q-Phone and he answers the phone minutes before he walks out of the front door. You tell him to run out of the back door and meet you at the Burger King down the street. So what happened?

I think space and time lose any meaning to quantum information transfer, therefore there's no space inbetween your friends death and minutes before he died. You and your friend just become entangled in a universe where he doesn't die and maybe the universe where he died gets erased or it exists in a state parallel to the one where he didn't die.

This would essentially be information transfer instead of time travel. You would end up with the same result but nothing would travel through what we call "time" because time loses it's meaning on a quantum level. I would actually call this a Time Shift because quantum information just Shifts your perception of time.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Can this (eventually) pave the way for actual solid physical teleportation (or recreation anyhow)?

If, by "eventually", you mean "so far into the future that none of us, nor even our children, nor, possibly, even our great-great-great-great-grandchildren, will ever see it", then, maybe. This is the quantum teleportation of information encoded in photons, which have only 2 differing quantum states to decipher. Material transportation, however, would require the deciphering of dozens, sometimes hundreds, of potential quantum states for each particle involved. Then, take into account that the typical human body has about 7*10^29 particles (protons, electrons, and neutrons), and that means flawlessly encoding, teleporting, and decoding millions of billions of billions of individual bits of information.

Now, consider how long it will take to get that quantum teleporter down to a reasonable size - not to mention reasonable energy consumption. And then consider the jump from photons to atoms, and from atoms to entire objects, and then to humans... and you'll see why this is just the beginning, and why none of us will ever see human teleportation. Unless, of course, some knowledgeable aliens feel like helping us along a bit.
edit on 12-6-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
As some one allready stated: "COPYS"....

Now, GIVE ME ONE....

I want my latest Pizza Again and again and again.....

Starvation, Gone.

Fuel shortage, Gone.

Money, Gone........phuuu...(i like that one)...

OnT:

Thats not a teleporter, its a replicator...Allthough, the original is twarted...
But if you manage to store the information...THEN we are talking.....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
If, by "eventually", you mean "so far into the future that none of us, nor even our children, nor, possibly, even our great-great-great-great-grandchildren, will ever see it", then, maybe.

Why put a timeline on it?

The problem with timeline establishment is that it -always- assumes we hit a brick wall in technological development. Actually, this is a perfect example of short sightedness in this regard. The experiment will pave the way for quantum computers and beyond..this means instant answers, instance processing, etc..all roads and whatnot.

40 years ago, our computers (1970) was incredibly stupid, the PC was a unknown entity, and it took a room to do what a simple babys toy could accomplish today

technology is doubling in processing while shrinking every other year...been going steadily like this for a very long time and all roads show this is likely to of not keep up the same, then even go more rapidly.

by 2025, your home computer will have the ability to process as much, creatively, and as complex as the human brain.
by 2040, your home computer will be as technical and intricate as the entire worlds population brain power.

Imagine then...with this being the graphed out understanding of our technological development, what multi-billions of entire worlds (each computer being a world population) working on a problem will come up with.
What is wildly complex for us today smacking our stupid desktop will seem elementry in 40 years...creation of mind bending technologies may be childs play in 2050.

I think it is quite possible we may be "beaming around"...just stay healthy and see where this goes...maybe not, but I have yet to hear a rational discussion as to why we won't be watching incredible changes in our time without people forgetting technology progresses past today.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey
As some one allready stated: "COPYS"....

Now, GIVE ME ONE....

I want my latest Pizza Again and again and again.....

Starvation, Gone.

Fuel shortage, Gone.

Money, Gone........phuuu...(i like that one)...

OnT:

Thats not a teleporter, its a replicator...Allthough, the original is twarted...
But if you manage to store the information...THEN we are talking.....

I agree.
As much as I love the idea of teleportation, star trek never convinced me that the subject isn't dying each time they step onto that and a clone is back in place.
The problem is, you quickly evolve the discussion from science into philosophy when discussing it...and science hates philosophy overall, especially in this subject matter.

What are we...what makes us, us.

But yes, I think with a nice complex cad drawing, nanotech advancement (or other assembly tech to turn the raw energy into a proper structure), we have the beginnings of a replicator.

Tea, earl gray, hot.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well...I did say more than that, to explain why we probably won't see physical human teleportation anytime soon. That has no bearing on quantum teleportation of basic information, or quantum computing. I'd be surprised if quantum computers weren't available to consumers in the next decade.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Is it only me that sees the possibility of this becoming the most destructive weapon ever created if it gets into the wrong hands? Obviously it is nowhere near perfect yet, and there is no guarantee that it will be able to transport matter, but if it is able to, many years down the line, and a bunch of extremists get hold of it, they could wipe out the entire planet in no time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join