It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
That is cool. Extending instant communication a little bit further.

Quantum teleportation has achieved a new milestone or, should we say, a new ten-milestone: scientists have recently had success teleporting information between photons over a free space distance of nearly ten miles, an unprecedented length. The researchers who have accomplished this feat note that this brings us closer to communicating information without needing a traditional signal, and that the ten miles they have reached could span the distance between the surface of the earth and space. As we've explained before, "quantum teleportation" is quite different from how many people imagine teleportation to work. Rather than picking one thing up and placing it somewhere else, quantum teleportation involves entangling two things, like photons or ions, so their states are dependent on one another and each can be affected by the measurement of the other's state. When one of the items is sent a distance away, entanglement ensures that changing the state of one causes the other to change as well, allowing the teleportation of quantum information, if not matter. However, the distance particles can be from each other has been limited so far to a number of meters.

Source

If I understand this correctly this will allow faster 1 and 0 type communication?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I love this science!

I read about this some years ago and knew they had managed this in a lab, but to know they've managed it at a ten mile distance is a truly incredible leap!

I believe the only thing holding this back so far has been the methods used rather than the ability itself.

This could mean an incredible leap for mankind. If theory is correct, this would allow real-time communication of data at any distance, and would remove the need for physical communication lines and even satellites.
We could send people to Mars and be able to communicate as though they were in the room.

I also recall a similar experiment where data was sent along a infrared beam, effectively transferring data from one ion to another (it might have been a part of the same research actually).
But they had a remarkable result that no one was expecting; the date arrived before it was sent.

It appears that the recieving ion "predicted" that its entangled partner was about to switch before it actually did.

Fascinating stuff! Thanks for sharing it

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
So, I guess this process is to be taken as 'faster-than-light' communication; and distance limited only by transmitting power?

That's interesting, because I just recently read a theory mentioning ftl communication possibility... by using zero-point-field (vacuum energy) as a communication medium. I wonder if the two processes are related?

[edit on 5/19/2010 by Larryman]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
If I understand this correctly this will allow faster 1 and 0 type communication?

Manipulation of nonlocal simultaneity will span parsecs of space, and then unlimited distance — theoretically from one side of the universe to the other.

Not only will simple 1 and 0 information be teleported — much, much more complex information will ultimately be transmitted over incomprehensible distances. Think matter teleportation.

Think Star Trek Transporter on steroids. And perhaps in about the appropriate timeframe...could be reality by the 23 Century or earlier.

When it happens, you can kiss all your fanciful "starships" goodbye. We're talking about sending people and whole environments like ready-made colonies anywhere in the universe... Instantaneously.

Blows "warp drive" completely out of the water.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/19/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Amazing technology. It could have amazing implications in communication in our lifetimes it seems. Of course if and when they figure out how to transport matter with this process it will really change things.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Reminds me of a sci-fi novel from many years ago in which the primary means of "space travel" wasn't spaceships at all, but a teleportation device... Only thing was, the device could only transport matter a fixed distance, which was something like 10 light years. So, in order to travel shorter distances, they had to build a new transporter device at every destination, change directions repeatedly, build more transporters, and eventually loop back toward their original starting point — a round about means of travel, to be sure, but the travel itself was instantaneous.

If anyone remembers the title of that story, let me know.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWtoHide
Of course if and when they figure out how to transport matter with this process it will really change things.

Well, our present technology is only tickling entangled subatomic particles over near-earth distances.

As the theory goes, you should be able to tickle a particle here on Earth and another particle in Proxima Centauri will giggle.

The implications are mind-boggling. Since we're messing with subatomic particles — of which everything is composed — then there should be nothing to stop us from tickling whole volumes of matter and energy, and having, say, a complete self-sustaining colony of humans just materialize instantly at Proxima Centauri.

Or anywhere in the Universe.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Hmm this sounds a lot like the technology used in the Stargate SG-1 series up to Season 10. What with all the correllation with the OP and theStargates and Supergates positioned in space the SG-1 team had access too and could visit all the other life on other Galaxies. Ironically the other... Benevolent and also malevolent inter-planetary neighbors had access as well.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Epsillion70]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Is that when the "test subject" materializes in the ship hull?

Seriously ltho, this kind of stuff is truly amazing.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

It really is mind-boggling. I love thinking about how different things could be if they really used technology like this to it's fullest extent... It's almost like free energy.

My only question is kind of along the lines of the novel your looking for the name of. If they transported something ten miles is it that much harder to go to mars? And after that what about other solar systems? I guess my question really is do they have to have some sort of receiver or "stargate"? If a habitable planet was found could they just pick a spot under a tree and send someone there?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This is pretty cool, i had seen a small documentary on Quantum stuff a while back. I found the idea very intriguing.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Is it even theoretically possible to entangle two photons that are on two different sides of the Universe? Otherwise we'd still have an initial wait time at least to send out our "recieving gate".

I was also wondering if anyone can tell if this experiment constitutes Quantum teleportation with out the use of a classical information channel?

[edit on 20-5-2010 by thedarklingthrush]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Hi Doc,
I know the name of the book.Its called MindBridge by Joe Haldeman.Awesome book i liked the huge enviromental suits that the people would wear when first exploring a new planet.

philip

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWtoHide
If they transported something ten miles is it that much harder to go to mars? And after that what about other solar systems? I guess my question really is do they have to have some sort of receiver or "stargate"? If a habitable planet was found could they just pick a spot under a tree and send someone there?

One of the great errors of the Star Trek Transporter technology — and I know, because Jimmy Doohan himself explained it to me in 1979 — was the idea that matter was broken down and converted to energy and then beamed to a remote location. BTW, the ST transporter had a limited range of only 16,000 miles.

The main problem is that converting matter to energy can have some rather nasty side-effects. See Hiroshima and Nagasaki for more on that.

The only way a ST Transporter could even theoretically work would be if there was, indeed, a highly sophisticated receiver unit at the destination... Otherwise, Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock and the rest of the landing party would have to hit the ground running...at roughly the speed of light.

Theoretically, the nonlocal simultaneity teleporter process would be entirely possible, without a "receiver" unit. The only "receiver" is the quantum particle matrix that exists at the destination point. The human "transporter" subjects would simply coalesce out of the existing matter at the destination.

Meaning, believe it or don't, that the original human subjects could remain on Earth as their doppelgangers explored another world!

Then, and this is what's really incredible, the doppelgangers could teleport their accumulated knowledge back to Earth, directly into the minds of the original subjects.

!!!

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Ok, as I understand this... after the 'sender' and the 'receiver' have been entangled... the receiver must be physically delivered to the receiver location. Only after that physical delivery, can the ftl communication between them occur. So... a starship will still be required to deliver the quantum-entangled receiver to Proxima Centauri, to receive the entangled data from the Earth sender - at ftl speed. It's like Stargate's portal rings - they have to be physically delivered to location before they can be used.

But I would still like to know if the entanglement communication is occurring through the zero-point-field (possibly aether) medium.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
Ok, as I understand this... after the 'sender' and the 'receiver' have been entangled... the receiver must be physically delivered to the receiver location.

That's the way we do it now with our limited ability to understand entanglement and our primitive technology. We're like cavemen playing with a microwave oven, essentially.

In theory, we should be able to tickle a subatomic particle here and a particle on the other side of the universe will chuckle. There's nothing to prevent it from happening, actually.

As we perfect our understanding of entanglement and interdimensional teleportation of information, we'll discard the "receiver" unit as a remnant of our early and incomplete understanding.

— Doc Velicity

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Meaning, believe it or don't, that the original human subjects could remain on Earth as their doppelgangers explored another world!

Then, and this is what's really incredible, the doppelgangers could teleport their accumulated knowledge back to Earth, directly into the minds of the original subjects.

What happens then to the original you, if your doppleganger on the other world dies from an accident? Would that then kill the original you in the same fashion?

Like you're setting here on Earth watching a ball game on tv, and your doppleganger is exploring the alien planet. And he sticks his head into a cave to see what's in there, and an alien thing bites his head off. Now your sitting here watching the game... with suddenly no head.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by Larryman]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Great technology!!

But i have to include this:

astroengineer.wordpress.com...

Basically said that this tech was already in use! Confiming both oher things he said, and confirming that this technology really does work over larger distances.

Wonder what it would cost to produce a handset for this?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
[What happens then to the original you, if your doppleganger on the other world dies from an accident? Would that then kill the original you in the same fashion?

No, this is the very WEIRD thing about Quantum Sky-Hopping. When your doppelganger is killed or dies, it doesn't affect you whatsoever. You can even experience your doppelganger's death throes, if you wish (kinda kinky), or NOT.

Meaning, you could die multiple deaths, lending to your sense of immortality.

Which isn't far off.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Another cool thing about quantum teleportation is that according to the Observer Effect, any observation of quantum transmitted information changes that information because it was observed - which means that privacy is guaranteed, since there's no way to hide snooping.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join