It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Scientists say california mega quake is imminent!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by Meekbot2000

Sure it is look at the title of the thread. It's puposefully written to invoke fear and panic otherwise it would be worded something like, "new study confirms possibility of large quake exists".

i was being sarcastic my friend, i agree it is total fearmongering

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
How is this braking news? all us californians been hearing it for years. Earthquakes are no big thing to us.

Us sidewalk surfers know, deep down somewhere.. indeed, the big one.. mother of all quakes, could strike any day. Any moment... OMG ruuuuunnn!!!

Worry?.... yea sometimes, but can't dwell on it. As far as earthquake doom goes, I live on the Cali coast literally on the San Andreas fault.. tip of the sword, I'm going first...

All you bible belt types who think everyone is Cali is crazy.. could be partially right.. we could die at any time, smoking weed like so many do.. along with all the other deviant "crazy" things we're known for.. could very well be Californians suffering from a collective "keep it weird, death is near" neurosis.. someone should look into that... lol

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by journey2010
The thing about people on ATS that gets me is this... Someone can post an idea, thought, or feeling - and be told they are fear mongering because they don't have a valid link to back it up. Then someone can post an actual fact, (this thread), and back it with a link to a reputable source, and still be told they are fear mongering. The title of this thread is a paraphrase of the weather.com title - it has the same meaning.

Take a look at the world today. Floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, tornadoes, and animal die offs - all at (seemingly) all time highs - or at least recent time highs. A reputable source re-confirming what we know, but with new data - is something worth discussing.

The point of ATS is to deny ignorance. This is a forum for all members to share what matters to them. The OP simply wanted to let people know of a new study on the potential of a CA earthquake. The OP never states that it will happen in exactly 10 minutes.

We b*tch on here about TPTB and MSM and everyone else. But let's join together, put pettiness aside, and have valid conversations about real world things. If you don't like it, pretend ATS is your cable box, and change the channel.

One of the best posts I've ever seen. Sums up what I've thought for years about ATS.

Major props my man. Perfect.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I saw the same show and seen how the inner core is moving about, because of the pole shift which could take years. and most likly set off yellow stone, super volcano first and then we will all wich it was the cali earhquake. if there is a western quake, my odds are on thecascadia subduction zone.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
How is this braking news? all us californians been hearing it for years. Earthquakes are no big thing to us.

When your buildings start crumbling to the ground it will be

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
Having said that, I may be totally wrong.

edit on 27-6-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

Thats what the Weatherman/woman say all the time on TV. Maybe chance of a rain or shower here and there.

Nothing's for certain. Its always a f**king guess work

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Also in Cali...
The only thing imminent is Death. It starts the day we were conceived...
Oh... and work. Yes. unfortunately... that is imminent as well.
Oh yea and taxes...
Ya know what? Who really cares?
You cannot prepare for a disaster. You can only hope to be still walking around and pray that anything you've stocked up on is still obtainable, once a disaster hits.
Everybody go outside and play! The weather is beautiful and any day could be your last.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by NOrrTH

The San Andreas Fault is only 800 miles long

The largest earthquake ever recorded was a magnitude 9.5 on May 22, 1960 in Chile on a fault that is almost 1,000 miles long.

200 miles? Heck, that's a long way.

Mate, you can't even make people feel at ease properly. Not that I'm from California, but bringing out the fact that the difference between the length of the fault that generated the largest recorded EQ ever and San Andreas is somewhere below 200 miles is not that easying, to say the least, and not only it doesn't add up to your theories, but it contradicts them. So, 9.0, or 8.5 quake in a densily populated area would be considered not a big deal? Good thing that you don't live in Cali. Bad thing that so many other do. Also, they said it COULD be in the next 10 years, but there's no way of knowing for sure.

And actually, I agreed with many of your points in previous threads I haven't posted to.

Btw, check what the definition of imminent is in a dictionary regarding this thread's title. (OPs words are a different thing, though)

As I believe that it is possible for something like a large quake happening somewhere in Cali in the recent years, I do hope and think that the pressure that's been piling up will be released in a not so sudden manner, but in the form of smaller earthquakes.

But I do agree that Earth ain't feeling very well overall recently. I don't like it when people say "Hey, don't worry, our experience here on Earth is a tiny particle according to geological timescales, so these could come, and they will go, as they have done for millions of years." What I don't like is that these people leave out an itsy-bitsy piece from the equation that is known and acknowledged to have major impact on the nature - humanity. Hey, we didn't roam for millions of years and quakes have been happening, right? But one has to be a hypocrite to overlook the consequences of our needs and habits, and I suppose that's already a well-known fact?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
While most informed people know that this EQ will happen again, I'm more curious as to why the MSM had to restate the obvious?Maybe they had to for the Insurance companies for legalities? Noone can say they were not informed.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Am I the sole cuckoo who brings up the fact the Salton Sea has never had a 180 year earthquake cycle since it hasn't even existed that long?

Holy bullpile. I'm gonna mention this again. The entire OP is based on a lie. The Salton sea is man made. There is zero hard science to back up what the author wrote. Wiki it yourself. The article was a 'push through'. It was published when the publisher was probably on vacation.

And this has gone one for 6 pages when it belongs in Skunkworks? WTH?

Does anyone moderate these threads?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

He said imminent in the post title when the article clearly not did this!

Really? Maybe you need some spectacles. It quite clearly says IMMINENT. The snapshot below was taken just 3 minutes before I posted this.

Proven you clearly wrong!

It would appear that is not the case.

Have a look at the definition of imminent

I don't think I need you to tell me how to speak English. I have been managing it for over 60 years without any problems and have examinations in "The Use of English" that I believe adequately demonstrate that I am reasonably proficient.

Shame on you for defending a hoaxer and fear monger!

Perhaps before attacking you should get your facts straight, as I did.

I made a point a presented that with a sound reason for my conclusion!

No you misread the article, or read the wrong article and had no reason to arrive at your erroneous conclusion.

I believe you owe the OP an apology.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

The Salton sea is man made.

Perhaps you would like to provide a link for that statement.

The entire OP is based on a lie.

Whilst I do agree that perhaps it is a touch 'journalistic' in it's tone it is not based on a lie. Obviously you have failed to read the article and associated links, or to do any research on the subject yourself.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Str8Talker

Someone here said you cannot predict Earthquakes... historically, that is very true. However, NASA's JPL Small Objects Browser predicted 3 of them with uncanny accuracy. True, not predicted to a local region... but that a high stress seismis area would finally break when that stupid Elenin Object began the alignment process again and again... and setting off major seismic messes down here for us to ponder.

Total nonsense. Prove it if you can.

There is absolutely no way a body that size at that distance can have ANY effect of the earth.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Interesting news to report:

I just got back from a trip to my grandfather's house in Palm Desert. Well aside from the horrible 120 degree heat, something very interesting happened starting about 4 a.m. this morning.

I was outside on his patio having a cigarette when huge 40mph winds started blowing towards the direction of the sky where major clouds were coming from. It felt like a tornado was about to happen, but it didn't. At about 6 a.m., the area was completely covered in hazy fog and it was insanely humid with the smell of sulfur. This comes from the Salton Sea. Very rarely if ever does a level of such humidity blow in like that from the Salton Sea. Combine that with extreme heat and the weather was absolutely awful. The sulfur smell eventually blew out, but this has happened at times before a quake has happened in that region.

I was thinking about this warning this morning when this happened. Something is going on there, so people should be prepared.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug
Interesting news to report:

I just got back from a trip to my grandfather's house in Palm Desert. Well aside from the horrible 120 degree heat, something very interesting happened starting about 4 a.m. this morning.

I was outside on his patio having a cigarette when huge 40mph winds started blowing towards the direction of the sky where major clouds were coming from. It felt like a tornado was about to happen, but it didn't. At about 6 a.m., the area was completely covered in hazy fog and it was insanely humid with the smell of sulfur. This comes from the Salton Sea. Very rarely if ever does a level of such humidity blow in like that from the Salton Sea. Combine that with extreme heat and the weather was absolutely awful. The sulfur smell eventually blew out, but this has happened at times before a quake has happened in that region.

I was thinking about this warning this morning when this happened. Something is going on there, so people should be prepared.

Interesting news!!

There probably are so any other tell-tell signs (like this) that Californians are abruptly passing off.

Sometimes I think that they don't want to acknowledge the fact that a megaquake is imminent for their area, and put on their 'we Californians are invincible' masks.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaExray

Thank you indeed for that. Very interesting. I must investigate further.

I had absolutely no idea that it was man made.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

The sulfur smell eventually blew out, but this has happened at times before a quake has happened in that region.

I don't suppose you have any documentary evidence of that?

I guess it is probably just personal anecdote, but it is interesting and if documented in any way could be tied to quakes. Also why sulphur? This would suggest a volcanic element perhaps.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by pjslug

The sulfur smell eventually blew out, but this has happened at times before a quake has happened in that region.

I don't suppose you have any documentary evidence of that?

I guess it is probably just personal anecdote, but it is interesting and if documented in any way could be tied to quakes. Also why sulphur? This would suggest a volcanic element perhaps.

No documented evidence, just my own personal experiences of witnessing these events before quakes.
Not sure why the smell of sulfur, perhaps it has do to with all the dead fish in the sea. A lot of things can smell like sulfur, even if they aren't. The smell of rotting animals is pretty strong when it can be carried a hundred miles. It could be underground activity too, I'm not sure. You have two major fault lines running under the Salton Sea so it's possible that sulfuric compounds are being released.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

You have two major fault lines running under the Salton Sea so it's possible that sulfuric compounds are being released.

Yes that was what I was interested in

I will dig a little deeper but thanks for the response.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join