It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Scientists say california mega quake is imminent!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Here is a link that shows that U.S. earthquakes are on the decline and not on the rise as many have posted.

Sorry could explain that please? It does not show a decline at all. Whilst I accept that the levels of earthquakes are not significantly different currently there is an increase from the 1970 levels, however it is a decrease from the 1950/60 levels. Since those are not shown on that page can you please explain how you arrive at this conclusion?

This graph (I am working on this project) is based on the USGS Centennial Catalog and ANSS data for magnitude 6.5+ earthquakes from 1930 to 2010. You can see here that the 50s and 60s (1957 Aleutians, 1960 Chile, 1964 Prince William Sound) had a very big impact. The Banda Aceh and Japan quakes are dwarfed by Chile 1960.

I am not disagreeing with you by the way as I do believe that we are on the downward path now, I am just asking how you can deduce the fact from that page.

edit on 27/6/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by NOrrTH

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Can “Mega Quakes” really happen?
THEORETICALLY, YES. REALISTICALLY, NO. The magnitude of an earthquake is related to the length of the fault on which it occurs -- the longer the fault, the larger the earthquake. The San Andreas Fault is only 800 miles long. To generate an earthquake of 10.5 magnitude would require the rupture of a fault that is many times the length of the San Andreas Fault. No fault long enough to generate a magnitude 10.5 earthquake is known to exist. The largest earthquake ever recorded was a magnitude 9.5 on May 22, 1960 in Chile on a fault that is almost 1,000 miles long. The magnitude scale is open-ended, meaning that science has not put a limit on how strong an earthquake could be, and scientists can’t rule out a “Mega Quake” because they’ve only been measuring earthquakes for 100 years, a blink of an eye in geologic time. However, scientists agree that “Mega Quakes” of magnitude 10 or more are implausible.

We Americans have this 'Rome' complex...

We have the tendency to feel that we are invincible to all major catastrophies..."It can't happen to US"

We even get callous when other places in the world face these devastations, and even post things on Facebook like, "Whew! Thank God it didn't over happen...God was watching us."

Sometimes its not so much 'domin and gloomin' as it is 'America needs to know that we are not untouchable'.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

History channel is entertainment and if you don't know that i'm surprised. As far as fossils at mountaintops that is not due to violent mega earthquakes but slow uplift of land. I live at almost 8000 ft. and this area used to be tropical. It did not happen overnight.

I would be happy to list some beginning geology books for you if your really interested in this stuff..It's quite fascinating.

I don't get that impression with the History Channel..

I feel that they embrace the topics that everyone tries to keep 'hidden and unspoken of', like What will life be like in an apacalyptic event? Ancient Aliens, Mega Quake, and Hidden Books of the Bible...

They pose facts, experts opinions' along with their personal opinions, but its more for informative purposes, I feel.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Imminent? So is that 3some with claudia schiffer my wife promised.
lol

If I had a dollar...

I'm gonna say don't hold your breath. While an earthquake is certainly imminent. In geological terms that could be a decade or more away.
edit on 27-6-2011 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

2) Even if this is legit data (which it's not) it really don't matter if EQ's are on the decline in the US, what is more important is that the EQ activity in the entire world and no matter how much data you throw may way only a fool would believe that seismic activity worldwide is normal or declining. It's quite the opposite unfortunately.

Darn it, I hate to be siding with kro32 but I am afraid I have to be on the side of truth.

As you have just seen on my graph earthquake activity on the world in terms of energy release is NOT on the increase.

May I explain?

There are numerous sites out there which have cherry picked their data almost as well as climate scientists. They pick a time of low activity and fewer seismic stations and then quote massive increases of mag 2.5+ earthquakes between then and now.

You cannot quote mag 2.5 earthquakes for two reasons. Firstly they are so small as to be insignificant on a global scale and secondly they are very prone to not being discovered in lightly served areas for seismic detection, i.e. lower seismic station densities. Secondly, as the density of seismic stations increases so does the detection rate. This really applies to all magnitudes of earthquake up to around a mag 6.

Over mag 6 then it is likely that these will be detected worldwide, but not always. At magnitude 6.5 it is reasonable to expect that they will be detected. These are the ones that start to ring the LISS helicorders and create all the black stuff on the seismograms. On my graph you can see that yes there has been an increase since the 1970s, but to start at that point is in my opinion cherry picking. I am sorry my work is not completed but this has caught me on the hop.

I believe, as I have said, that whilst there has been a small increase in activity in recent years that what we are seeing is the top of a cycle of around 30 or 40 years. There is historical evidence for this cycle 1812 New Madrid, 1857 Cali, 1906 Cali, I am trying to take this back to give credence to my theory. IF I am right then we not only will not see another mega-super-big whatever quake (an 8.5 plus is considered a super quake), it may actually be quite some time before there is another one. Possibly even 30 years when Chile will go again, followed by Alaska shortly after maybe?

Cascadia and Cali?? I don't know. I have never studied the San Andreas and I have some issues with subduction in the Jan de Fuca area so I will leave comment on that until another day and the completion of my study. I don't however believe that California will be in line for a 9.0 from the small fault mentioned in the study. It just is not long enough.

BTW as far as the legitimacy of the data is concerned you may find it easy to believe that earthquakes can be left out of the listings, and some are on occasions, but what does not lie is the waveform data from the instruments.

Before you say to me that this can be tampered with consider this.

A magnitude 6.5+ quake is registered on seismograms all round the world. Not only is it extremely difficult if not impossible to remove a single event from a set of waveform data without it being easily detected, but also these data are recorded on seismograms of many different and disparate networks, many of which would not have any desire to back the US in the covering up of data. There are also many privately owned seismographs around the world in may different countries. I put it to you that to cover up an earthquake on all networks in the world and all private recorders is completely and utterly impossible. To cover up many earthquakes is beyond credibility.

Edit to add

Sorry forgot to post this: Correlation of fault length to earthquake magnitude

edit on 27/6/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Piers Corbyn is saying june 27 to july 2... and a 7 and a 5.5 just popped in the Aleutian islands.
he did well on the Christchurch prediction... maybe the tptb have been reading him...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I look forward to your post your researching puterman
I promise to bring my A-game. You are correct in that I deduced that fact without the proper research.

Point taken, I stand by your claim as i'm sure it's accurate.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It seems like people have been predicting it as imminent for a while now. But then again as of late everybody has said everything is imminent; the collapse of the dollar, world war 3, rapture. So we'll see I guess, good post though

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS!!!! The Sky Is Blue!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Really what can they do its not like a hurricane and you can see it comming. Yeah! when it happens it will be a big disaster people will die and so on.

They know the risks.

When its all done an over with thiers alot of new jobs and things to rebuild. Short run bad for the economy in the long it could help it.

Its bound to happen so why all the fuss.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Apparently "big quake" news is recycled through the news, at least in the past few years...
We're expecting one up this way(Pac NW), more research shows, but doesn't mean today or tomorrow, but may happen as well the imminent Ca mega quake. Worse comes to worse, all warned Pacific quakes happens around the same time!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I hope it hits soon. Lets just get it over with. Maybe if its big enough it'll wipe out the fed!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
California will be like that beach in Australia that one moment it was there and the next minute it will be gone, kinda liker Atlantis, just got gobbled up by a giant sink hole

I hear the tidal wave off that bad boy will crash the Rockies. You surfers better build you some heavy long boards to last out the ride of your lives

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
California will be like that beach in Australia that one moment it was there and the next minute it will be gone, kinda liker Atlantis, just got gobbled up by a giant sink hole

I hear the tidal wave off that bad boy will crash the Rockies. You surfers better build you some heavy long boards to last out the ride of your lives

Ahh, now I understand why everyone is asking why the tag "PFS" seems to be appearing everywhere.

It's "Pray For Surf"!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I thought this video was kind of cool. Shake out simulation of San Andreas. Don't know how realistic it is, though

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

The people of Pompeii I'm sure heard the rumbling and smoke, but it didn't seem worrisome enough for everyone to leave the area before the disaster struck. I'm sure history has a way of repeating it's self. Just hope people can see that blaming God for the death and destruction that could result is a wasteful time. Jesus said in the last days that earthquakes, famines and wars, would come. So for all those that trust in Him, lift up your eyes your redemption is near. Don't let your heart be troubled, tell others of the hope that is in you.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

This is no joke or fearmongering,

Now that quote is a joke! You are fear mongering to the highest degree! Disgraceful! You should be well and truly ashamed of your self. There is a big difference between imminent and what it actually said

of California that could unleash a monster earthquake at any time.

People have to live that threat all the time and don't need fraudsters like you perpetrating hoax's like this! Shame on you!
edit on 28-6-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Imminent.... like the 100 percent chance.....within the next 100 years? Or, next week? Tomorrow? Imminent in geological terms is a pretty gray area. I live by Yellowstone and there are always posts here listing the everyday occurrences such as the minor earthquakes, the changes in elevations, changes in geyser timing...... as if it were signs of the Apocalypse. Sure, the Big One in Yellowstone will possibly happen in the future, but just like the post on ATS about NASA giving all their personnel advice for Bug Out Bags and keeping some practical supplies handy at home or in a car, I haven't seen anything that seems to express real imminence any more than the exact same claims that have been going on for years and years in California or Yellowstone or Niburu or what have you. I wonder where the scientists that predicted this live....... still in the area and checking out for more signs or have they moved to somewhere they consider safe? When the animals head for the hills, I just may too. When fear mongers and rumor spreaders and uncertain science makes claims, I usually just yawn.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Erm isn't this old news. we have known for years that California is due a "big one". It's just a matter of time. We also know that Yellowstone is due to erupt but that "window" is much wider (tens of thousands of years).

It's a bit like ATS, keep predicting the "big one" is coming and when it does you can say you predicted it!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Shame on YOU actually for NOT reading the title of the quoted source and for NOT being aware of the T & C.

You are making a personal attack on the OP which is COMPLETELY unjustified as he is bound by the site rules.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join