It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Scientists say california mega quake is imminent!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by NOrrTH

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Can “Mega Quakes” really happen?
THEORETICALLY, YES. REALISTICALLY, NO. The magnitude of an earthquake is related to the length of the fault on which it occurs -- the longer the fault, the larger the earthquake. The San Andreas Fault is only 800 miles long. To generate an earthquake of 10.5 magnitude would require the rupture of a fault that is many times the length of the San Andreas Fault. No fault long enough to generate a magnitude 10.5 earthquake is known to exist. The largest earthquake ever recorded was a magnitude 9.5 on May 22, 1960 in Chile on a fault that is almost 1,000 miles long. The magnitude scale is open-ended, meaning that science has not put a limit on how strong an earthquake could be, and scientists can’t rule out a “Mega Quake” because they’ve only been measuring earthquakes for 100 years, a blink of an eye in geologic time. However, scientists agree that “Mega Quakes” of magnitude 10 or more are implausible.

More USGS lip service and BS. Please keep it coming.

If scientists agree that a mega quake of 10+ is implausible, than why are they making all these shows on history channel, national geographic, etc claiming otherwise?

History channel recently aired a new special aptly named "10.0 Mega Quake" and it went through a laundry list of scenarios explaining how such an event is not only plausible, but likely to happen in our lifetimes. One of the scenarios talked about the entire San Andreas rupturing from San Fran to Mexico. This would certainly qualify as 'the big one' and it certainly could sink part of the land mass into the ocean.

Furthermore I'm glad all of these scientists and experts claiming it's 'implausible' have been around this earth for millions of years and have documented every seismic event that's even happened. Even if you don't believe the bible, it's a scientific fact that fossils from deep ocean creatures have been found on moutain tops. How is this possible if this planet has never experienced dramatic and violent seismic activity? How was this planet formed then especially if there is no god? 10.0 megaquake - for all we know there's been a 20.0 megaquake in the past. Bottom line none of these scientists know what this planet is truly capable of....

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

You do know how USGS get's it's data don't you?

So you argue with facts by declaring them all part of a giant government conspiracy? I enjoy your post however there is a point when the data becomes so overwhelmingly convincing that you should capitulate and admit that perhaps what you posted was not the accumulation of all the facts.

I gotta go eat now but thanks for the lively debate

I'll even give you a flag which I hardly ever do for anyone.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

You do know how USGS get's it's data don't you?

So you argue with facts by declaring them all part of a giant government conspiracy? I enjoy your post however there is a point when the data becomes so overwhelmingly convincing that you should capitulate and admit that perhaps what you posted was not the accumulation of all the facts.

I gotta go eat now but thanks for the lively debate

I'll even give you a flag which I hardly ever do for anyone.

Again:

1) It's government data, which means it's scrubbed and cherry picked. Of course you will just say that's my 'opinion' or 'speculation' but anybody that knows how the government operates will tell you it's a fact. How about I dig up some old articles from these expert USGS scientists that contradict themselves. For example they claimed that the fault line in Japan that produced the 9.1 megaquake was not capable of something like that. Then it happens and they admit they were wrong. In the past they have also claimed that the southern portion of the San Andreas was 'dead', then they change the story to "Well it might not be dead, but it can only produce a mag 7.0 quake at best", to "Studies show San Andreas capable of 8.0+ mag quake". Do the research yourself to find out how unreliable and uncredible these people really are.

2) Even if this is legit data (which it's not) it really don't matter if EQ's are on the decline in the US, what is more important is that the EQ activity in the entire world and no matter how much data you throw may way only a fool would believe that seismic activity worldwide is normal or declining. It's quite the opposite unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This sounds to me quite like the Mega Storm article did ... its all speculation. Anything could happen but as is the case with all natural disasters there is no true way to detect them. We won't know anything until it actually happens until then life goes on as usual.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Bottom line is this:
Live every day as if it will be your last
Expect the unexpected
Stay prepared
Always

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

History channel is entertainment and if you don't know that i'm surprised. As far as fossils at mountaintops that is not due to violent mega earthquakes but slow uplift of land. I live at almost 8000 ft. and this area used to be tropical. It did not happen overnight.

I would be happy to list some beginning geology books for you if your really interested in this stuff..It's quite fascinating.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

You claim earthquakes are on the rise and I show you the data to disprove you yet you claim the data is false. Very well, now show me your data that supports your claims so I may evaluate that.
edit on 27-6-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Here's another fact for you. Did you know that one of the scientists that worked on this article and research your quoting actually works for the USGS?

Kind of weird that your claiming the USGS is full of false information yet defending a report by one of the scientists that works for them?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

You claim earthquakes are on the rise and I show you the data to disprove you yet you claim the data is false. Very well, now show me your data that supports your claims so I may evaluate that.
edit on 27-6-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

How does one become a shill? Did you get busted by the government and did they ask you to troll conspiracy forums and flood them with disinfo, BS 'facts' and clever responses to derail threads.

Must be a great gig. Let me know how much it pays and where to sign up.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

History channel is entertainment and if you don't know that i'm surprised. As far as fossils at mountaintops that is not due to violent mega earthquakes but slow uplift of land. I live at almost 8000 ft. and this area used to be tropical. It did not happen overnight.

I would be happy to list some beginning geology books for you if your really interested in this stuff..It's quite fascinating.

So now you are a geology expert as well? If so please share your weath of knowledge with me becasue I'm always eager to study this planet and the myriad of changes it's went through since it came into exsistence. I'm being serious by the way, not sarcastic.

History channel is entertainment - correct. But you do realize the show in question featured many prominent scientists, geologists, etc - and yes plenty of them were from the USGS. There is reason why they made this show as well, it was yet another subliminal message from the people in the know. The same people that arent wasting their time shilling conspiracy forums, instead they are prepparing to head to their bunkers and ensure the continuation of human civilization after events depicted in these shows become reality.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I predict September 27, there will be a monster quake, and more than one. Southern Cal is ripe for one but so are a lot of other places. It's the comet Elenin that is causing it.

Wait and see....

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disconnected Sociopath

So now you are a geology expert as well? If so please share your weath of knowledge with me becasue I'm always eager to study this planet and the myriad of changes it's went through since it came into exsistence. I'm being serious by the way, not sarcastic.

If I remember correctly, geology actually is his area of expertise.

Kro is not the most pleasant or charming person on the board, but you dont have to be pleasant or charming to have real knowledge about a topic.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

So what do you base your prediction on Cap'n? Serious question....I mean do you make predictions regularly? Do you have any examples of when you got it right?I don't really believe in predictions, but I'm curious.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Has anyone seen this article?

www.spacedaily.com...

"A magnitude 7.6 earthquake could cause seafloor uplift of six feet or more," Borrero said. "That, in turn, would disturb the sea surface by the same amount, resulting in a tsunami. The shallow San Pedro shelf offshore of Long Beach focuses the waves and amplifies them by one-and-a -half times, so the original six-foot wave would build to nine feet inside the harbor."

There was also a thread yesterday about people having earthquake dreams the night before, I was one of them too. Weren't some people predicting earthquakes around this time? Something to do with the alignment of Comet Elenin I think?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This reminds me of the USGS establishing seismographs and sensors in Parkfield,CA. because they were sure it was going to be the hot spot,ground zero for quakes along the San Andreas fault.

Nothing significant has happened there in decades.

In the meantime we have had large quakes in Hayward,Landers and Northridge.

All a person has to do is look at the USGS site and you can see that the Salton sea area is VERY active.

Scripps Institute is located near La Jolla and their facility is perched on a bluff.

When they start packing their belongings in to moving vans,I will too.

The area most likely to experience a large quake with much destruction is the Seattle,Puget sound area.

That is where there is a thrust fault that has not released any energy in a very long time.

That area is way over due and the early indicators are evident off the coast of Oregon.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well if its coming, I am looking forward to it. I have faith in the building codes. If I do die in an earthquake, what a way to go. Much better than death by flood, like some places or by tornadoes like others, or freezing to death in a snowstorm. Every place has their natural disasters. Mother nature could wipe any of us off this planet at any time, no matter where we live.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Am I the sole cuckoo who brings up the fact the Salton Sea has never had a 180 year earthquake cycle since it hasn't even existed that long?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Sure it is look at the title of the thread. It's puposefully written to invoke fear and panic

No, you are wrong. May I remind you that it is the Terms and Conditions that the thread title MUST be identical if quoting a source for an item of news. The OP has NO OPTION other than to entitle the thread as it is.

I have has problems with this but rulz is rulz.

edit on 27/6/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
In geologic terms, 10 years IS "imminent".

EDIT: btw, Cayce said either Pelee or Vesuvius has to erupt first .. THEN the Cali megaquake. Just for all you out there that like prophecies

edit on 27-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
The folks at prophecies.us are saying 2 mega quakes will occur very soon in California (within the year). The general consensus is that it will be 2 large quakes occurring within a short time period of one another, the latter quake being much larger than the other, a gigantic tsunami, an orange bridge will collapse (possibly the golden gate), both quakes will occur during cooler weather, and California will crumble into the ocean along with a portion of Nevada during the latter of the quakes. They are going bonkers about it right now.

Couldn't help but remember your post when I read this on the original report:

Another surprising result concerned the San Jacinto Fault, a lesser known Southern California fault yet one of the most significant branches of the San Andreas system. Fialko's analysis of the San Jacinto Fault, which winds through populated areas in San Bernardino, Riverside and Borrego Springs, found that it is moving at roughly twice the speed of previous estimates and thereby its propensity for earthquakes is greatly enhanced. While the San Andreas is at risk for an earthquake of magnitude eight or higher, the San Jacinto Fault has an even greater risk for a slightly smaller earthquake of magnitude seven, which still falls into the category of a major earthquake.

Two faults, ready to go

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join