It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Scientists say california mega quake is imminent!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

Obviously, you don't live in So Cal. My hometown is Northridge, California and I know how devastating earthquakes can get. But sorry, you can't predict earthquakes...

I'm in Orange County friend, and if you think Northridge was devestating just wait and see what's coming...in fact I'd describe it to you if I could but considering this area has never experienced something like it I can't.

Also you are right, EQ's as far as we know cannot be predicted. But scientists can study patterns, pressure, and other related pieces to the puzzle and you don't need to be a genius to realize what has been building underneath us for many years now.

Also why put an article like this out of if 'imminent' means 20 years from now? The subliminal messages have been everywhere if you are an astute person. In fact if you watch the local news stations they have been running these lame FEMA commercials about preparing for the 'Big One' and have even spelled it out. FEMA themselves have been extremely active in recent weeks if you track their movements. They are preparing for a major disaster on US soil based on scientific data - data that is likely censored to the common people because the government knows they don't have the resources for a mass evactuation of an area the size of LA metro and all the surrounding communities.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by Disconnected Sociopath

reply to post by Meekbot2000

Sure it is look at the title of the thread. It's puposefully written to invoke fear and panic otherwise it would be worded something like, "new study confirms possibility of large quake exists".

You are one of the biggest shills on this board. You don't fool me or anybody else either because you seem to pop up in every disaster related thread spewing garbage.

Because if you would have read the title of the actual article, you see where I got the title of my thread from:

SCIENTISTS SAY CALIFORNIA MEGA QUAKE IS IMMINENT

Click on the article link and see for yourself, I could care less either way.

How am I shill when I back up everything I "spew" unlike people who purposefully take things out of context in order to spread panic. I notice you did not include all the information in your post such as where they say it could be 10 years from now.

I guess that wouldn't have added the fear to your post.

Listen - If I offended you I'm sorry, but all I was pointing out is that the title of my thread (sans the word 'breaking') is the exact same title of the TWC article that I linked. It just seems that you are always quick to pop up in threads like this to debunk or downplay which is typical government shill M.O. on these type of forums.

Furthermore I already told you that imminent doesn't mean tomorrow, but my personal opinion and feeling is that we are weeks, if not days away from a world changing event in our backyards. Of course I hope I'm wrong but if you have followed the seismic activity that has worked it's way clockwise along the pacific ring of fire - it doesn't take a genius to pinpoint which area is next. And it's either going to be the Cascadia (pacific NW) or the San Andreas - possibly both since they are connected .

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

Did you ever think that maybe they are practicing since they need it. Considering how poorly they've done with disasters like Katrina maybe they have decided it would be wise to become more efficient for any disaster. This action doesn't mean they think an earthquake is coming.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The folks at prophecies.us are saying 2 mega quakes will occur very soon in California (within the year). The general consensus is that it will be 2 large quakes occurring within a short time period of one another, the latter quake being much larger than the other, a gigantic tsunami, an orange bridge will collapse (possibly the golden gate), both quakes will occur during cooler weather, and California will crumble into the ocean along with a portion of Nevada during the latter of the quakes. They are going bonkers about it right now.

I'm still very skeptical of prophecies, but I have seen enough in my life to warrant the interest in such things. That does not mean I believe them. So, don't go bashing me for being suggestive of something I'm not, thank you. Just relaying information.

You are now free to delude my post.
edit on 27-6-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Given how the pacific rim continues to awaken at various points around it's perimeter, it would be foolish to think California will somehow be made the exception as every other area gets hit. If it isn't Volcanoes, it's Earthquakes and places like the Philippines and Japan have received both in a very short time span. Chile isn't doing all that well itself for natural disasters in very recent times. I've been watching the earthquake displays as a side thing for a long time now. It's usually a glance every week or two out of sheer curiosity and morbid fascinating for who in the world is having a real bad day...but here recently I've been watching more carefully. California does seem to be getting the same frantic bursts of small ones just as Japan and other places did leading up to and till ongoing in between serious Earthquakes.

By the way, this is a real time (or as close as anything gets) display for Earthquakes, world wide. Unlike most others I've used in the past, this one is actually filled with quite a bit of detail per listing without becoming impossible to casually read and understand. It's become my primary free tool for this topic so I thought I'd share...

Real Time Earthquakes Text & Map

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Well the general consensus of geologists who study earthquakes for a living is that they have no idea and that nobody should plan their lives around something that may or may not happen other than basic disaster preparedness.

You can belive them or the folks at propheciesRus.com
Something will happen eventually but something will happen everywhere at some point so unlike the op who thinks we should evacuate southern california I would say to people to assess the probability of danger compared to what gains you are receiving from living where you are and make a decision based on that.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

The problem I have with prophecies is there are too many. An event happens, then search away for the prophecy that fits.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meekbot2000
lol right but this is not fear mongering,

anyone in california who does not already know of the dangers a major quake could have there deserves whatever happens to them imo

Yeah pack up everything and just leave becuase there is a chance of a major EQ. Every place on earth has natural disasters. I love California, i've been through plenty of EQ's. The lack of compassion in your post is sad.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Here is a link that shows that U.S. earthquakes are on the decline and not on the rise as many have posted.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
S&F for OP... I see allot of people on here saying, "tell me something I don't know," "Stop fear mongering," etc....

As the OP stated, this was released on the Weather Channel today, and is not being posted with the intention of fear mongering. Earthquakes are common place in California, but not to the extreme we have been seeing across the globe in recent years. This message is not made with the intent of being prepared for another everyday EQ, this message is intended for those who are not prepared for the "big one."

Why jump down someone's throat when they are relaying a helpful bit of information!?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Here is a link that shows that U.S. earthquakes are on the decline and not on the rise as many have posted.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

That just says YOU'RE DUE lol

I also see the worldwide earthquakes 7 - 7.9 at double the rate of the previous year. 2010 had 151 and 2011 already has 118 and we're only halfway through the year. I'd say that is cause for concern, or maybe there wont be anymore the rest of the year, which seems unlikely.

The basic fact is that based on history, there is a VERY likely chance that a mega quake will happen in our life time. When it happens, dont go hasselling your neighbors for their supply of water because it came as a complete surprise to you. Also, if you have kids and are not reasonably prepared, you are morally culpable .

edit on 27-6-2011 by NOrrTH because: added content

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NOrrTH

I guess your right

Can't argue with the facts after all. Glad I don't live in Cali

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

And despite persisent warnings from... the psychic community, nothing has been done to evacuate the area or prepare for whats coming.

Yea ok there really going to give the orders to evacuate a large area because the psychics say so, lol
edit on 27-6-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Interesting that the Weather Channel is coming out with this now. Could be a "they won't be able to say we didn't warn them" kind of thing based on inside information. I have a map of Ca. that is 12' by 9' approx. and shows every fault known shortly after the Northridge quake. There's a fault everywhere even right under the Ventura Frwy. After the Northridge quake I had occassion to speak with many people from Flintridge down to Marina del Rey and there was a small percentage that made plans and left the state. Did speak in those conversations with several people that claimed psychic ability and one of them told me that Ca. would become 'islands of harmony' after the big one. I haven't heard a single prediction by anyone I would consider reliable giving a date or even a week or month. The only predictions I've seen are the coming alignments of Comet Elenin and the fact that the first alignment noted in Feb. of this year was for the date or few days before the date of the earthquake in Japan. Also geographical location was never predicted. That's why an article like this now makes me wonder what exactly prompted it.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here are some interesting facts for people looking into earthquakes.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Look for the part where it talks about predicting earthquakes. The USGS can only estimate and their scientist are forcasting only a 60% chance of a large quake in the next 30 years. That's the best they can do.

edit on 27-6-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

reply to

Did you ever think that maybe they are practicing since they need it. Considering how poorly they've done with disasters like Katrina maybe they have decided it would be wise to become more efficient for any disaster. This action doesn't mean they think an earthquake is coming.

So according to you, Weather.com is practicing...hmmm. I guess the practice they get everyday posting global weather conditions and Natural disasters isn't practice enough. Or, the 6+ years of schooling each of their Meteorologist, seismologist, News reporters etc. go through before beginning their careers....Did you really take the time to read the article???
Open your brain a little bit, pay attention to what is going on around the world, take any bit of "real" information you can get with a thank you, not a list of BS reasons you think it is wrong.

You need to roll out of this thread if all you are going to be is a Debbie downer! Let the people that want to discuss the article, do so in peace.

edit on 6/27/2011 by TheRealTruth84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

A big earthquake has hit the lake bed about every 180 years. But when officials started damming the Colorado River to reduce floods downstream (including in the Salton Sea), the moderate earthquakes stopped for the Salton. Sounds like a good thing, right? Not necessarily. Seismologists think the damming stopped moderate stress-relieving earthquakes on the Salton. Now, they fear the pressure is building and the area could be as many as 100 years overdue for a mega-quake quake, measuring 7.5 or larger.

I find this part of the article most informational, interesting, something I hadn't heard before. Of course I don't live in California either, or an earthquake prone area.

Of course this could play into the conspiracies of why the great flood in the midwest and the blowing up of major dams...........

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NOrrTH

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Can “Mega Quakes” really happen?
THEORETICALLY, YES. REALISTICALLY, NO. The magnitude of an earthquake is related to the length of the fault on which it occurs -- the longer the fault, the larger the earthquake. The San Andreas Fault is only 800 miles long. To generate an earthquake of 10.5 magnitude would require the rupture of a fault that is many times the length of the San Andreas Fault. No fault long enough to generate a magnitude 10.5 earthquake is known to exist. The largest earthquake ever recorded was a magnitude 9.5 on May 22, 1960 in Chile on a fault that is almost 1,000 miles long. The magnitude scale is open-ended, meaning that science has not put a limit on how strong an earthquake could be, and scientists can’t rule out a “Mega Quake” because they’ve only been measuring earthquakes for 100 years, a blink of an eye in geologic time. However, scientists agree that “Mega Quakes” of magnitude 10 or more are implausible.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

The practice was in regards to the post about Fema. I have no idea how your tying that into the weather channel.

And i'm not rolling out as i'm providing proof for everything I bring up.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

earthquake.usgs.gov...

This is exactly what I'm talking about from you - I could care less what a link from a GOVERNMENT sponsored agency says. How about all the missing data and EQ's they delete on a regular basis?

Trusting anything from the USGS is like believing Obama and the rest of his white house sock puppets regarding the BS unemployment numbers and other skewed econmic data they force feed down our throats.

Guess what Nasa also told us recently that we are entering a period of solar 'slowdown' despite mounds of scientific data that has been force fed down our throats for years that tell us otherwise. I suppose we should be good little sheep and meander the pasture because nothing is wrong in happy land.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join