It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Scientists say california mega quake is imminent!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This is no joke or fearmongering, this is a legit link from the weather channel today and expect the MSM to pick it up shortly. At least the government is finally admitting the obvious and giving us Californians a final warning to get out of here:

www.weather.com...

Scientists Say California Mega-Quake Imminent
by Becky Kellogg , on Jun 27, 2011 11:57 am ET

Like a steaming kettle with the top on, pressure is building beneath the surface of California that could unleash a monster earthquake at any time. That's according to a new study from the Scripps Institute of Oceanography.

Geologists say Southern California is long overdue for a huge earthquake that could unleash widespread damage.

It all comes down to the Salton Sea, which lies to the east of San Diego. The Salton Sea lies directly on the San Andreas Fault and covers more than 350 square miles.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
So not imminent.

Just likely to happen sooner rather than later - maybe sometime in the next few years or decades.

But didn't we know that anyway?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
How is this braking news? all us californians been hearing it for years. Earthquakes are no big thing to us.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Here is the actual study and note the parts where they say it is impossible to predict and where they also state it could be tomorrow or 10 years from now. For all they know it could be 100 years from now. No need to fear monger.

scrippsnews.ucsd.edu...
edit on 27-6-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
lol right but this is not fear mongering,

anyone in california who does not already know of the dangers a major quake could have there deserves whatever happens to them imo

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure a steaming/ boiling kettle doesn't take years to pop the top off. Therefore this is imminent and if people aren't prepared by now, well, you better get your #@$% together...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Meekbot2000

Sure it is look at the title of the thread. It's puposefully written to invoke fear and panic otherwise it would be worded something like, "new study confirms possibility of large quake exists".

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Here is the actual study and note the parts where they say it is impossible to predict and where they also state it could be tomorrow or 10 years from now. For all they know it could be 100 years from now. No need to fear monger.

scrippsnews.ucsd.edu...
edit on 27-6-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

Just as this article states - We are at least 100 years overdue for a major event in southern california. This means a tremendous amount of pressure has built up and when it releases it's not going to be a meager 6.0-7.0 quake (which would still be pretty significant regardless).

And despite persisent warnings from concerned scientists and the psychic community, nothing has been done to evacuate the area or prepare for whats coming. Instead USGS shills have been all over the local news downplaying the severity of the situation and keeping pimping the whole 'strike slip' vs 'subduction' fault nonsense as if it matters and that nothing close to the Japan event could happen here.

While I agree that 'imminent' doesn't necessarily meant it's going to happen tomorrow. We are likely only weeks, if not days away from this event. I suspect the government knows this as well and has finally given the MSM the green light to put out these type of messages. Because that is the only warning we are going to get. I've warned coworkers and friends to prepare but they have dismissed it. However I've taken the necessary steps and urge anybody that cares about surviving to do the same.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
So a big earthquake on a major fault is imminent at some undetermined time in the future?!? Whoah! Thanks for the righteous heads-up, scientists! Totally earned your pay with that one!

+53 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The thing about people on ATS that gets me is this... Someone can post an idea, thought, or feeling - and be told they are fear mongering because they don't have a valid link to back it up. Then someone can post an actual fact, (this thread), and back it with a link to a reputable source, and still be told they are fear mongering. The title of this thread is a paraphrase of the weather.com title - it has the same meaning.

Take a look at the world today. Floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, tornadoes, and animal die offs - all at (seemingly) all time highs - or at least recent time highs. A reputable source re-confirming what we know, but with new data - is something worth discussing.

The point of ATS is to deny ignorance. This is a forum for all members to share what matters to them. The OP simply wanted to let people know of a new study on the potential of a CA earthquake. The OP never states that it will happen in exactly 10 minutes.

We b*tch on here about TPTB and MSM and everyone else. But let's join together, put pettiness aside, and have valid conversations about real world things. If you don't like it, pretend ATS is your cable box, and change the channel.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Sure it is look at the title of the thread. It's puposefully written to invoke fear and panic otherwise it would be worded something like, "new study confirms possibility of large quake exists".

You are one of the biggest shills on this board. You don't fool me or anybody else either because you seem to pop up in every disaster related thread spewing garbage.

Because if you would have read the title of the actual article, you see where I got the title of my thread from:

SCIENTISTS SAY CALIFORNIA MEGA QUAKE IS IMMINENT

Click on the article link and see for yourself, I could care less either way.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I'm no seismologist, yet I can see there being a relatively big quake happening along the western coast of America within the next few months or so.

With all the big quakes going off along the pacific rim in a clock-wise direction, the last being near Alaska, it seems the west coast of the USA will be in-line for the next one.

Having said that, I may be totally wrong.

edit on 27-6-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

People complain when we don't receive updated news (nuclear plants/flooding). People complain when we do get news. At this rate, let's forget ATS and leave it in the past.
edit on 27-6-2011 by journey2010 because: typo

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Yeah, like I would bet on August. Don't ask me why.

link   

Originally posted by journey2010
The thing about people on ATS that gets me is this... Someone can post an idea, thought, or feeling - and be told they are fear mongering because they don't have a valid link to back it up. Then someone can post an actual fact, (this thread), and back it with a link to a reputable source, and still be told they are fear mongering. The title of this thread is a paraphrase of the weather.com title - it has the same meaning.

Take a look at the world today. Floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, tornadoes, and animal die offs - all at (seemingly) all time highs - or at least recent time highs. A reputable source re-confirming what we know, but with new data - is something worth discussing.

The point of ATS is to deny ignorance. This is a forum for all members to share what matters to them. The OP simply wanted to let people know of a new study on the potential of a CA earthquake. The OP never states that it will happen in exactly 10 minutes.

We b*tch on here about TPTB and MSM and everyone else. But let's join together, put pettiness aside, and have valid conversations about real world things. If you don't like it, pretend ATS is your cable box, and change the channel.

Funny thing is that I didn't change anything from the article with the title of my thread, and if all these shills would take the time to click on the link they could read it for themselves and see that I'm not fearmongering with the title of my thread considering its the exact same wording in the article title.

In fact they can post on the weather channel and if anything accuse them of fearmongering with their article title.

link   
While I understand the obviousness of the topic in question. That CA is long overdue, and has been for many a year now. Could this not be that even now, with everything that has happened globally, that the MSM is finally pushing the boundaries of its normalcy bias.

That is to say that even though this gets rolled our every now and again just to remind people, that this time, maybe just maybe, the laughter could be tinged with nervousness!??

As for me, I am not so sure.

But indeed anyone that lives on an active fault line should always be prepared.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

Obviously, you don't live in So Cal. My hometown is Northridge, California and I know how devastating earthquakes can get. But sorry, you can't predict earthquakes...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

The article I linked has them saying it might not happen for 10 years and that they cannot predict it at all so where are you coming up with days or weeks from when the actual scientists don't even say that. Do you have any idea how many things geological are overdue?

Here's just one

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

i think that "new study confirms possibility of large quake exists" is sort of a no brainer? Obviously...pretty sure everyone in the US even the low IQ are well aware California has a possibility of large quakes...

I think there is some MERIT to the OP because the "title" and "implication" is straight from TWC...not an every day occurance...obviously instills fear and its coming from the very people that make damn sure they give a "best case scenario" at the point they almost "normalcy-monger"...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disconnected Sociopath

You are one of the biggest shills on this board. You don't fool me or anybody else either because you seem to pop up in every disaster related thread spewing garbage.

Because if you would have read the title of the actual article, you see where I got the title of my thread from:

SCIENTISTS SAY CALIFORNIA MEGA QUAKE IS IMMINENT

Click on the article link and see for yourself, I could care less either way.

How am I shill when I back up everything I "spew" unlike people who purposefully take things out of context in order to spread panic. I notice you did not include all the information in your post such as where they say it could be 10 years from now.

I guess that wouldn't have added the fear to your post.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join