It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Scientists say california mega quake is imminent!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

You are making a personal attack on the OP which is COMPLETELY unjustified as he is bound by the site rules.

When the OP makes the representation of not fear mongering but clearly is he deserves the attention he gets! He said imminent in the post title when the article clearly not did this! Therefore a hoax and fraudulent! bahahahahah Proven you clearly wrong! Have a look at the definition of imminent and what the OP states! Then look at what the article actually states! Hoax Hoax Hoax! Should be dispatched the hoax board ASAP! Shame on you for defending a hoaxer and fear monger!

I made a point a presented that with a sound reason for my conclusion!
edit on 28-6-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
How is this braking news? all us californians been hearing it for years. Earthquakes are no big thing to us.

In the few short years I lived there, I recall at least, bi yearly, a big to do on tv about the big one coming. They ran the same documentary about SF and Loma Prieta, year after year. So I don't really think they know exactly when the big one is coming but it definitely hypes up the tv ratings for awhile, I guess. My husband is a native californian and was in the Loma Prieta, which was indeed quite bad.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Thunder heart woman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

How is this braking news? all us californians been hearing it for years. Earthquakes are no big thing to us.

I understand that most of the populated cities in California lie on the San Andreas fault, and that Californians are 'used to it'...."its no big thing"

I am sure that the citizens of Indonesia a few years ago had heard of tsunami warnings,

Honushu Japan were used to feeling tremors,

Alabama and Joplin MO had citizens being in the south and the midwest, had citizens that were used to the tornados, and

Us here in Memphis were used to the Mississippi River rising,

My point is that people should not become so complacent as to feel that, "No. nothing bad could ever happen here..."

that 'Rome' complex that I spoke of earlier.

No one is special in the eyes of Mother Nature.....no, not even 'you Californians'.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Looking at the graph, it doesn't appear that they are in decline. It does appear that so far this year, still with half a year left to go, we don't have a really significant number of quakes yet, but look at 2010, almost 8,500 earthquakes that year, when the previous years (2000-2009) averaged only about 3,200.

The numbers rose slightly from 2008 to 2009, then doubled from 2009-2010.

While I doubt we'll see 7,000 more this year (although I suppose it's possible, considering the majority of those were small or not felt), more and more articles, either from independent sources and now from more MSM sources, are stating to prepare for a big quake.

It may not be possible to predict earthquakes necessarily, but you can see slight patterns, and California does appear to be next in line for a major quake.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
what is MSM??

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by lyons666
what is MSM??

Main Stream Media

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

I hope they are just prepared for tsunami on that side I HOPE..... 100ml off west coast.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Somebody should make a website where people can place bets on when the Big Earthquake will hit California.

I bet it will hit before Christmas. November 10th-14th is where I'd put my money.

That's when Earth is closest to Comet Elenin and starts passing thru its tail. I bet on November 10th a large rock trailing behind Comet Elenin nails the Caribbean Ocean and results in Yellowstone popping her cork and California getting her big quake.

I'd know I was right on November 8th. Every US Army Tank would be along our southern border ready to plow south as the exodus of Americans run south.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by youthsavior
I'm pretty sure a steaming/ boiling kettle doesn't take years to pop the top off. Therefore this is imminent and if people aren't prepared by now, well, you better get your #@$% together...

im pretty sure that a boiling kettle isnt on the same time scale as the planet earth...This article is just saying its going to happen soon....but not immediately...could be 1 year could be 10 years.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
OH NOES!!

I think I just had a movement....
errr I mean Im scared.

Earthquakes have been happening with increased frequency and severity. Ive been expecting one for some time now. Ive been quietly preparing for years.

Sad thing is, it would actually help the economy.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I live in Los Angeles area, and I'am kinda well prepared for it but hell I really hate earthquake... =/ i hate waking in the middle of the night just to feel the earthquake.. waking me up from my dreams

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
WOW are you joking? I posted this yesterday

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

True that.... Unless it's the BIG one. Then it WILL be a big deal. My son lives in Cole Valley. I used to live on TI and Potrero Hill.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Dude... or is it Dud? You will be the person we're all gonna be laughing at when you say "Why didn't they warn us?" THEY HAVE... THEY ARE... THEY WILL!!! All you got to do is open your minds, ears & eyes.

Someone here said you cannot predict Earthquakes... historically, that is very true. However, NASA's JPL Small Objects Browser predicted 3 of them with uncanny accuracy. True, not predicted to a local region... but that a high stress seismis area would finally break when that stupid Elenin Object began the alignment process again and again... and setting off major seismic messes down here for us to ponder.

I know all the arguments and want to say it is a mere snowball in space, too. I'd prefer that... but the Math & Probabilities argue otherwise. And if they are wrong, this will be the 1 time in a million we get to see math fail on a collosal scale!

Since NASA posted the Elenin Object orbital info in December, 2010... one could say the February (Chile) & September (New Zealand) 2010 quakes were a quirk. But it still doesn't explain how the model still worked as it began alignment on March 11, 2011... 3 months later... and accurately predicted another MAJOR Quake... JAPAN. And those areas have remained active ever since!

Now, using process of elimination... northern South America to the Alleutian Islands appear to be next. So, the only question is... WHERE'S THE WEAKEST FAULT LINK(s) along this area? Those are the areas (or elsewhere in the world) where the next quake or quakes are at highest risk this Fall.

If you want more details, get a time machine. As is, this is more info than normally is given for a vague prediction. This NASA model even provides a time range of increase seismic disturbance/perturbance which so far has proven more reliable than anything else. And if it's wrong, so what? Everyone lives... If it's right however, then it may a VERY different story. There's solid evidence for higher statistical seismic activity each time our planets do their normal alignment & tugging routine. And this dumb Elenin Object has made us aware of these alignments corresponding to seismic shifts on Earth...even theoretically.

So, personally, I don't care if you listen, laugh or blow this off. Seismologists need every tool at their disposal to save lives. Some people wouldn't know a WARNING if it bit them on the nose. But statistically speaking, this NASA JPL model has been very accurate so far... and our entire western seaboard is primed to be the next seismic host between Aug-Nov 2011.

So, I hope you are right and nothing happens. That be awesome... But being out of town the last week of September, Mid October and November 21-24 may not be such a bad idea... if this model keeps holding true.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

lol, this reminds me of my friends that live down in the Florida Keys and hurricanes. It takes a SERIOUS hurricane for them to give two flips and care. Otherwise it's just another windy, rainy day.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS: Weather man says rain in Seattle, WA is imminent!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage
reply to post by PuterMan

You are making a personal attack on the OP which is COMPLETELY unjustified as he is bound by the site rules.

When the OP makes the representation of not fear mongering but clearly is he deserves the attention he gets! He said imminent in the post title when the article clearly not did this! Therefore a hoax and fraudulent! bahahahahah Proven you clearly wrong! Have a look at the definition of imminent and what the OP states! Then look at what the article actually states! Hoax Hoax Hoax! Should be dispatched the hoax board ASAP! Shame on you for defending a hoaxer and fear monger!

I made a point a presented that with a sound reason for my conclusion!
edit on 28-6-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

Here is a little reading comprehension exercise for you, please follow step by step:

1) Go to the first/original post I made on this thread.

2) Click on the article link I posted.

3) Read the headline of the article and tell me what it says, notice the only difference in my headline is that I added 'Breaking" and an explanation mark after the headline.

Conclusion: If you don't see the word imminent you are just trolling.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

The word imminent in geological terms does not mean tomorrow or even in a few weeks time. If there was a megaquake in the next 200 years the article on the weather channel would still have been correct geologically speaking.

Oh, and dont rise to phatpackage's juvenile postings, trolls troll...its what they do

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I would like to address all the negative responses to my original thread/post:

I understand that we've heard for years that 'the big one' in CA/west coast is coming. However my intention of posting this article was twofold:

1) To highlight the fact that scientists that is the first time in recent memory that the MSM is actually giving a warning that this event is going to happen sooner than later. I do agree than in scientific/geological terms "imminent" doesn't necessarly mean tomorrow or next week. But for years these type of fluff pieces have always stuck to the "well there's a 80% chance a big CA EQ is going to happen within the next 30 years" type of headlines. All of sudden that has changed, why?

2) This is a conspiracy website. And my personal opinion is that the government/USGS has enough data available to them and knows that the San Andreas is going to rupture within a finite time period (lets say within the next 3-6 months) and are basically giving us a direct warning this this article, and similar other ones that have been posted in recent days. Other antectodal evidence I have for this is local LA area news stations have been running FEMA sponsored commercials regarding EQ preparation the last few months.

I would like to also point out this thread I started several months ago, the following comments in the original post alledgely came from an anonymous USGS whistleblower who was posting on the LA Times newspaper forums. This poster claims that a massive 9.5+ EQ is going to strike along the San Andreas within 6 months. He posted this in Feb which means we have a few months left based on his timeframe, which is an interesting coincidence when you consider what 'imminent' means.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The BIG ONE is less than 6 months away! Beware LA residents your doomed because of your stupidity believing what the USGS has been saying for the last 50 years which is totally wrong. The San Andreas is not simply a strike-slip fault with a limited intensity of 7.5 or so. It occasionally does a subduction (which is what built the Sierra Madre mountains) every 5th or 6th strike-slip cycle.

Stanford and other Universities have revealed the truth though and the USGS should apologize to all the citizens in California because the San Andreas is jammed and San Francisco is now 17 years over due, Fort Tejon is 67 years over due, and Wrightwood is 111 years over due.

Why? Because as the North American plate moves to the West it puts considerable pressure on the Pacific plate which is trying to move North but along most of that plate, as in Peru, as in Cascadia (West of Seattle), as in Alaska--it usually subducts because the Pacific Ocean is getting smaller as the Atlantic Ocean gets larger.

The pressure builds gradually over 500 years or so and then the plates do a combination strike-slip and subduction simultaneously and the resulting BIG ONE can be up to a 9.5 as over 1000 miles of the fault can slip at one time (up to 1500 miles all the way from the Gulf of California almost to Alaska).

Beware Californians you have been lied to by the USGS for decades!

Not only can the plate in which LA resides subduct but it can subduct and result in substantial drops in elevation along the coast such that many beaches will be submerged (by as much as 30 feet underwater).

LA is a ticking time bomb that is way understated the dangers of living there! San Francisco and San Diego are in the same boat as is Seattle and Portland

Posted by: mipak | February 08, 2011 at 04:51 PM

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

No bets this is EA life...

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join