It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
reply to post by SG-17

Who said anything about who payed for the signs?

The people who paid for arbitrary, potentially offensive signs perhaps...

Answer the question:

Which is more pervasive?

That's what you're concerned about? Conversion rates? Do you want graphs and charts? I don't understand how this is important.

link   

reply to post by SG-17

Answer the question:

Which is more pervasive?

How is that question relevant? The relevant question is:

Which violates more of our fellow citizens' civil rights?

1. Publicly funded street signs with exclusive religious sentiments
2. Publicly funded street signs with no religious sentiments expressed

link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

If I was in the Middle East, sure. Whatever they wanna do there is their business and I'd look the other way.

This is the USA however and I think people who have issues with the mainstream religions here need to keep it to themselves or get over it. Even if I was an atheist I'd have more sense than to throw a fit every time somebody built something that might refer to God.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Whah !

Yep There go the atheists. Fighting for truth, justice and the american way.

Hey brother, it's your rights and protection I'm interested in also.

If someone sanctioned a street sign saying "Allah Is God Blvd", I'd be out there right along with you (and all the other christians) protesting.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Some may not see it as an issue since they may agree with it. But put up a street sign that says "Allah Is The Only True God Lane" and I assure you people will object and rightfully so.

There is a BIG difference b/t "Seven in Heaven Way" and "Allah is The Only True God Lane" (which does not honor anybody or anything BTW) Seven in Heaven Way is just a name. Oh Thank Heaven For 7-11? Where were you guys on that one?

The atheist group had their chance to voice their opinions when the resolution went through the community board. Too little too late guys. It's a done deal. You had the opportunity and you blew it. You now have ZERO reason to complain. END OF STORY

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayTaylor
reply to post by SaturnFX

If I was in the Middle East, sure. Whatever they wanna do there is their business and I'd look the other way.

This is the USA however and I think people who have issues with the mainstream religions here need to keep it to themselves or get over it. Even if I was an atheist I'd have more sense than to throw a fit every time somebody built something that might refer to God.

That's nice.

They can use their own money to push such things.

Not mine.

Unless I can start using tax dollars to push agendas that distract from the reality of tragic situations for false personal closure... and not attach a "religious value" to it. Would that be okay with you? Or should I "keep it to myself"?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

Atheists need to find ways to justify their existence and feel relevant. They do this by complaining about a street sign, complaining about nativity scenes, complaining about the ten commandments at a court house, and complaining about "under God" in the pledge of allegiance. Don't get me wrong, because it is certainly their right to voice their opinion in a peaceful manner (although peaceful atheist is somewhat of an oxymoron).

I think the vast majority of Atheists are no different than the religious zealots they complain about, although there are certainly exceptions to that rule.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayTaylor
This is the USA however and I think people who have issues with the mainstream religions here need to keep it to themselves or get over it.

I'd be happy to do that once those religious people stop interfering with politics, the judiciary, the school system, etc.

A few years back some christians fought to get evolution from being taught in schools in Cobb Co., GA, and won. There are nine anti-evolution bills pending in the states right now.

Am I supposed to just keep it to myself and get over it? Am I to sit back and watch the religious manipulate the police power of government to enforce special protection and respect for their beliefs?

You'd benefit by applying more thought to these situations.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I think the city should now offer Atheists a street sign. For equality.

I like that: "Ain't No God Avenue"

You KNOW the religious would be outraged and making all kinds of noise.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

I'd be more outraged at your piss poor grammar than I would be about your right to put up a sign.

Perhaps you should look around ATS and see who is more commonly found with grammar and spelling mistakes, the religious regurgitating rhetoric, or the non-religious formulating arguments...?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

There is a BIG difference b/t "Seven in Heaven Way" and "Allah is The Only True God Lane" (which does not honor anybody or anything BTW) Seven in Heaven Way is just a name. Oh Thank Heaven For 7-11? Where were you guys on that one?

No there isn't. Both express exclusive religious sentiments.

The atheist group had their chance to voice their opinions when the resolution went through the community board. Too little too late guys. It's a done deal. You had the opportunity and you blew it. You now have ZERO reason to complain. END OF STORY

Sorry, but civil rights aren't automatically forfeited because someone couldn't make the meeting.

You'll need better arguments because you're not making a good case so far.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

Atheists need to find ways to justify their existence and feel relevant. They do this by complaining about a street sign, complaining about nativity scenes, complaining about the ten commandments at a court house, and complaining about "under God" in the pledge of allegiance.

Yeah, those pathetic bastards. They don't even believe in religion yet they go out of their way to preserve the religious freedom of all Americans.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Traditional, your wrong only about me being out there. I wouldn't put my, lack of something better to do, on public display over something so trivial. That's my real point. I just couldn't resist jumping on your pony, so to speak, as it's been awhile since we've conversed.

But arn't there worse examples of what's being protested here. That recieved no notice at all upon implementation? i.e. Isn't there a Billy Graham blvd. somewhere ?
edit on 22-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

reply to post by SG-17

Answer the question:

Which is more pervasive?

How is that question relevant? The relevant question is:

Which violates more of our fellow citizens' civil rights?

1. Publicly funded (and approved)street signs with exclusive religious sentiments
2. Publicly funded street signs with no religious sentiments expressed

Since you avoid answering my question, I'll avoid answering yours and reply with another question.

Which violates more of our fallen heroes families?

1. Atheists crying about a single word on a single sign honoring 7 fallen victims of 9-11?
2.Atheists not giving a rats behind about them and only thinking of themselves and how a sign makes them feel?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

Don't get me wrong, because it is certainly their right to voice their opinion in a peaceful manner (although peaceful atheist is somewhat of an oxymoron).

Right, because if there's something the last 6,000 years has taught me, it's that religion is peaceful ... and everyone who doesn't practice it is not...

Sorry, this thread is filled with nonsense, but you really took the baton and ran with that one.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I say we ban ALL words that are insensitive to Atheists and all words that are insensitive to all other religions.

After we do that let's just cut down the vocabulary to a few basic words, make the language into newspeak.

Next might as well just cut down all rights that are insensitive or offensive to any particular group until we are just mindless slaves.

War is Peace , Ignorance is Strength , Freedom is Slavery.

I think Heaven is a great name and I am not really a Christian. People are offended by it because they are ignorant closed-minded individuals who wine about petty bull# just to create tension with other groups while ignoring issues that ACTUALLY matter.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

reply to post by SG-17

Answer the question:

Which is more pervasive?

The religious one, as it serves to perpetuate lies and ignorance.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

According to the article (Emphasis is mine)

City leaders seemed dumbfounded by the atheists’ outrage because no one complained about the sign as it was going through a public approval process. “It’s unfortunate that they didn’t raise this as an issue while it was undergoing its public review either at the community board level or when it came before the City Council on their public agenda,” said Craig Hammerman, the district manager for Brooklyn Community Board 6.

and

Hammerman told Fox News Radio that the community was “solidly behind this proposal. Not a single person stood up to speak out against it. I think it’s a little late in the process for someone to be bringing this up now.”

So, if it went through public approval process and no one complained about it, then why all of the sudden now??

Peace

edit on 22-6-2011 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Since you avoid answering my question, I'll avoid answering yours and reply with another question.

I'm wondering the same thing about you and my questions. What does God say about hypocrisy, again?

Which violates more of our fallen heroes families?

1. Atheists crying about a single word on a single sign honoring 7 fallen victims of 9-11?

"Crying"? What a ridiculously childish word to use. Did someone upset you on World of Warcraft earlier today?

There is no honor in writing off someone's death with the same religious division that killed them in the first place.

2.Atheists not giving a rats behind about them and only thinking of themselves and how a sign makes them feel?

Right, because clearly nobody on here has considered the feelings of the victims... Have you read my posts? Probably not; ignorance is bliss after all.

Have fun continuing to harp people to answer your questions when you can't even answer the questions directed at you. Christ-like behavior as usual.
edit on 22-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
In the tree by the brook there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven

Your head is humming and it won't go -- in case you don´t know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady can you hear the wind blow and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our souls
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all,

youtu.be...

It makes me wonder

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17

reply to post by SG-17

Answer the question:

Which is more pervasive?

The religious one, as it serves to perpetuate lies and ignorance.

Seven in Heaven Way perpetuates lies and ignorance? WOW!! How did you come to that conclusion?

Christians have no proof of heaven. Atheist have no proof to the contrary. Nobody has proof, therefore, Atheists are just as guilty as Religious ppl.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join