It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

The street, “Seven in Heaven Way,” was officially dedicated last weekend in Brooklyn outside the firehouse where the firefighters once served. The ceremony was attended by dozens of firefighters, city leaders and widows of the fallen men.

Link

The victims of 911 are honored by the naming of a street "Seven in Heaven Way" and the NY atheist get mad try to have the sign removed. If you don't like the sign then don't look at it!
edit on 21-6-2011 by Ancient Champion because: added more words

+22 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ancient Champion

The victims of 911 are honored by the naming of a street "Seven in Heaven Way" and the NY atheist get mad try to have the sign removed. If you don't like the sign then don't look at it!

Yeah. Those crappy atheists, fighting to preserve America's important rights. They should just shut the heck up because YOU like the sign. That's all that matters, right?

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I think Jihad Blvd has a nice ring to it...

If you don't like it..meh, don't look.

How about Infidel Drive...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
No matter what you do or say there will always be somebody out there who finds it offensive...can't accommodate to everything that people find offensive or we wouldn't have things like christmas, hannukah, easter, south park, family guy, beef, chicken, bacon...I could go on for days...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
No matter what you do or say there will always be somebody out there who finds it offensive...can't accommodate to everything that people find offensive or we wouldn't have things like christmas, hannukah, easter, south park, family guy, beef, chicken, bacon...I could go on for days...

Fair point.

Overall I don't mind a "heaven" road...although I personally find it cheapens the concept of heaven.

no, heaven is not a street in new york...at least, not my version (vegas may be arguable)

So, really, the people whom should be up in arms about this are the religious moreso than the atheist...if they want to reduce their concept of eternal rewards to a commerce road in a urban setting, then so be it.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Yeah. Those crappy atheists, fighting to preserve America's important rights. They should just shut the heck up because YOU like the sign. That's all that matters, right?

Too bad they're not preserving important rights... more like they are a bunch of whiners looking for anything to start a fight. Remember "common" decency??? Maybe sometimes they should just keep their cake holes shut and let it go... out of respect.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I think they're being a little bit too sensitive about the whole thing. It's the name on a street sign, not the city dedicating a frickin church.

The thing of it is that if we disallow anything that can even be remotely construed as religious, we violate the Constitution as well because it reads for or against. The ideas of Heaven and Hell have become heavily secularized concepts, are part of the cultural norm, and these people seriously need to concentrate their pissiness on something a little bit more important.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

There should be no signage or displays of religious nature in the public domain. It’s really insulting to us.

Hahahahahahaha!
Oh man, I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time.

So, let me get this street. An ATHEIST, who does NOT believe in any Religion, or God/Gods, is offended by someone else's faith?

Does no one see the ignorance here? Why do Atheists have to be so militant about Christians? Why can't they just shut the hell up? They're being more annoying then a simple sign on a street would ever be.

link   
Thank god for the graffiti vandals! Can't wait!

+21 more 
link   
if heaven doesn't exist, why do atheists get so mad at every little thing that references God or Jesus.

i don't believe in santa claus, but i don't freak out at Christmas, or go to a shopping mall with a balaclava, surround the shopping mall santa and hold up signs.

you know why, people will think i'm crazy. i don't think twice about santa claus and his existence.

but atheists, they go nuts over something that supposedly doesn't exist.

maybe atheists should take a deep, long look at something that supposedly doesn't exist, but is affecting them so tremendously.

edit on 21-6-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Religion has nothing to do with this. If Christians want to honor the victims in their way...fine.

If Atheists want to honor in their way...fine.

I don't think the victims will care and the families certainly won't object to fellow citizens honoring their relatives in their own ways.

At least they are not being forgotten...that would be the real crime.

Fighting over who can honor the victims, and in which way is truly dis-honoring them.

edit on 21-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
I think they're being a little bit too sensitive about the whole thing. It's the name on a street sign, not the city dedicating a frickin church.

The thing of it is that if we disallow anything that can even be remotely construed as religious, we violate the Constitution as well because it reads for or against. The ideas of Heaven and Hell have become heavily secularized concepts, are part of the cultural norm, and these people seriously need to concentrate their pissiness on something a little bit more important.

I couldn't agree more. Here you have people wanting to honor those who have died and do something special for them and others get all in a tizzy.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Look, those "athiests" need to get their panties out of a bunch. I think its fine, and Im not christian. Its honoring the fallen, the way they know how. I believe it must have been a fundy athiest group.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The street, “Seven in Heaven Way,” was officially dedicated last weekend in Brooklyn outside the firehouse where the firefighters once served. The ceremony was attended by dozens of firefighters, city leaders and widows of the fallen men.

Link

They have the right to protest guaranteed under the Constitution. If you don't like to see them protest Don't look at them.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This particular group is just a bunch of over sensitive panty wastes..... I hate to say that but it's true.

I have my beliefs, and you have yours. no two people agree on everything.... So, me throwing a fit, and insisting on you changing just to please me, gets you know where. I dont force my beliefs on you, so why do you force yours on us?

Leave us alone and we will leave you alone. The solution is simple.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Atheists need to practice turning a blind eye to religious affairs/practices/displays

makes them no better than the christian who finds EVERYTHING offensive (if a "Ned Flanders" really does exist)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Link

They have the right to protest guaranteed under the Constitution. If you don't like to see them protest Don't look at them.

But you can hear them yammering away, just like the WBC crowd or the crowds that want to sharia implemented around the world. Hard to ignore as they're a noisy bunch.

But I still do walk on with my thoughts to myself. No confrontation...so far.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You are a very smart man then. Confrontation with angry protesters will never lead to a postitive outcome and you cannot argue or reason with them so good call.

They also are noted for moving on quickly to another subject that infuriates them so they shouldn't be too long at this.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Exactly. What about seperation of Church and State? This sign is a direct contravention of the US Constitution.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kojack
Atheists need to practice turning a blind eye to religious affairs/practices/displays

makes them no better than the christian who finds EVERYTHING offensive (if a "Ned Flanders" really does exist)

HEAR! HEAR!

Oh but they do exist. My Aunt is a Jehovah Witness and was always telling me I was going to hell because I thought Bigfoot and Aliens might actually exist. Good times.

Mom always pulles me aside prior to Family Reunions, …"Don't antagonize her."

Almost ruines my fun, but there's always beer and running the grill to keep me occupied.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join