It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
In my town, there's a street called Error. I think they should do something about that.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
In my town, there's a street called Error. I think they should do something about that.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand

Sure! It's ok to have your own Atheist signs. But when Christians want to actually put up a 6 inch by 3 foot street sign honoring the victims of the Fire Dept, you guys want it taken down immediately?

Talk about hypocritical. Sheesh.

You have a right to put up signs all you want. You don't have a right to take others down that don't comply with your own views. Nor do Christians.

You apparently don't recognize that a billboard is paid for with private funds. A city street sign is paid for with public funds, some of which was derived from people without religious beliefs.

This is why we try to keep religion and government separate. People are well within their rights to object to their money being used to perpetuate the religious ideas of a group they don't belong to.

Show me where taxes have anything to do with the topic. "New York Atheists Angry Over "Heaven" Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims. But if you wanna go there then sure: Costs of a typical street sign as pictured in the OP costs between 25$ and 125$. Divide whichever one you want by 19,541,453 and tell me how much that hits your pocket book.

Our taxes get used for much more nefarious things than street signs. And WE ALL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. If you don't live in New York, than your opinion on what THEY have to pay for with THEIR taxes is irrelevant to you.

As for my post, I do understand the diff. between street signs and billboards. Who pays for them has nothing to do with what my post stated, and which you conveniently left out of your reply. How typical.

Again, which one is more pervasive?

"This is why we try to keep Atheism and Government Separate"

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I think the city should offer the Atheists a street sign.

Seems only fair.

Whoa! I can see the religious protests now. Funny how when this is reversed it makes it OK to protest an Atheist street sign.

BINGO!

Let's see if the masses will just "shut their cake holes" over the commission of "Ain't No God Avenue" in their city.

I think the city should now offer Atheists a street sign. For equality.

I like that: "Ain't No God Avenue"

You KNOW the religious would be outraged and making all kinds of noise.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

I'd be more outraged at your piss poor grammar than I would be about your right to put up a sign.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I'd be more outraged at your piss poor grammar than I would be about your right to put up a sign.

I don't care.

I post in a succinct blunt statement style. Always have - always will.

No one has to guess my meaning.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Well a tolerant atheist seems like areasonable person. I just cannot see the fuss. No one is offering forced conversion so I fail tosee the problem. I am certainly not a Xtgian but I can appreciate them over and above the fundamentalist atheistic type mentality.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Show me where taxes have anything to do with the topic. "New York Atheists Angry Over "Heaven" Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims. But if you wanna go there then sure: Costs of a typical street sign as pictured in the OP costs between 25$ and 125$. Divide whichever one you want by 19,541,453 and tell me how much that hits your pocket book.

I don't care if it was a fraction of a penny. We don't use public funds - derived from everyone - to finance a religious belief that is exclusive only to some. Keeping religiosity off our public domain protects everyone.

Some may not see it as an issue since they may agree with it. But put up a street sign that says "Allah Is The Only True God Lane" and I assure you people will object and rightfully so.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

Well a tolerant atheist seems like areasonable person. I just cannot see the fuss. No one is offering forced conversion so I fail tosee the problem. I am certainly not a Xtgian but I can appreciate them over and above the fundamentalist atheistic type mentality.

You don't seem to appreciate that their objection is being made to preserve everyone's rights as Americans. Their rightful objections have nothing to do with "fundamental atheist type mentality" but equal treatment under the law.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I don't care if it was a fraction of a penny. We don't use public funds - derived from everyone - to finance a religious belief that is exclusive only to some. Keeping religiosity off our public domain protects everyone.

Some may not see it as an issue since they may agree with it. But put up a street sign that says "Allah Is The Only True God Lane" and I assure you people will object and rightfully so.

Was just about to say this. Put anything up supporting a non-christian doctrine, and you'll get outcry from many of the people bashing the atheists position on this.

Is this one instance a big deal? No. But it's better to outcry a small infraction than let similar things keep happening until we're dealing with big infractions. Keep the separation of church and state solid.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by coastlinekid

WOW! So you get mad at someone who says God bless you? That's a kind gesture to most, even half-witted atheists. And what would you like, all churches to be destroyed and all talk of religion to be banned just because YOU don't like it? And honestly who cares about a what a bumper sticker says on someone else's car. This country gives the right to worship any religion you want and your cynical opinions aren't going to change anything. You sound very selfish and childish

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Political Correctnes disgusts me and this is what it boils down to at the end of the day.

people are SOOOOO sensetive to their own feelings that is clouds their vision of what happend on 9/11.

i dont care either way what you believe in, just believe in the fact that innocent people of all races, religous denominations, soci-economical backrounds lost their lives.

It is simple for me, I dont care that atheists are upset that there is sign with a word that they dont believe in.

Just like I dont expect the hispanic population to care that I absolutely loathe the fact that billions of tax payers dollars are used to put spanish on to everything so that Illegal immigrants can function in this country because they cant/wont speak/read english.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by armtx
Just like I dont expect the hispanic population to care that I absolutely loathe the fact that billions of tax payers dollars are used to put spanish on to everything so that Illegal immigrants can function in this country because they cant/wont speak/read english.

The Spanish language was here before English - BTW. There are many born Americans who's first language is Spanish.

The subject is Atheists - not Spanish speaking people - whether legal or illegal.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Whats your point? Just because someone's language was here first they can defy immigration policies?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

It is simple for me, I dont care that atheists are upset that there is sign with a word that they dont believe in.

Your oversimplification is the problem, along with your indifference to the violation of your fellow American's rights. And I imagine you will continue your indifference until it's YOUR rights that get trampled, and only then will you muster up your concern.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

It's probably just because religion is the foothold for the entire thing..

Now "whiny atheists" who lost family members have the deaths of their loved ones written off: "It's okay, they're in Heaven now". Actually, no they're not. They're dead and we're never going to see them again... because some people subscribe to fairy tales and kill people "in its name". And no, I'm not singling out Islam at all.

It's amazing how those claiming to "treat their neighbors as themselves" are so void of perspective so often.
edit on 22-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx
[Is this one instance a big deal? No. But it's better to outcry a small infraction than let similar things keep happening until we're dealing with big infractions. Keep the separation of church and state solid.

I am Atheist - - and I was at first a bit offended by this.

However - - the more I think about it - - Atheists have to speak up when there is an infraction.

No matter how small or insensitive it seems on the surface.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The Spanish language was here before English - BTW. There are many born Americans who's first language is Spanish.

The subject is Atheists - not Spanish speaking people - whether legal or illegal.

That poster doesn't appear to have any concern beyond their personal microcosm.
-

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Well if that is the case I think the mosque should go up near ground zero.

If it were athiest exstremists who flew the planes,I think most of the athiests would think it poor taste to build a shine to Dawkins at the site.Along with everyone else.

Swap athiest to any other belief and so on......

If athiests want a street sign put up on another street in remembrance for the victims,go for it

Atheism isn't a belief system, it is a lack thereof.

Originally posted by ShadowZion

Originally posted by SG-17
The problem is that they are using Christian imagery to honor everyone who died in the Towers, while not everyone who died in the Towers was Christian. If they wanted to be right about this then they would have used a religion neutral honoring.

Well, oh my! i never in a million years would have thought that someone saying somebody else going to heaven/is in heaven would make people mad or angry!

You assume that a "Heaven" would be a good thing. Many see it as a punishment worth than death itself.

Which is more pervasive?

A: A 6"x3' Road Sign Honoring fallen heroes

Or

B: A 20'x10' Billboard recruiting tool

Sure! It's ok to have your own Atheist signs. But when Christians want to actually put up a 6 inch by 3 foot street sign honoring the victims of the Fire Dept, you guys want it taken down immediately?

Talk about hypocritical. Sheesh.

You have a right to put up signs all you want. You don't have a right to take others down that don't comply with your own views. Nor do Christians.

The government doesn't pay for our signs.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

Who said anything about who payed for the signs?

Answer the question:

Which is more pervasive?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Whah !

Yep There go the atheists. Fighting for truth, justice and the american way.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join