It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Molecule That "Turns On Immortality Gene"!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Lono1

It's interesting that it's taken them so long to actually work this out considering it has been known for along time that it is the shortening of telomeres that causes celluar death and ageing.

Although you have to keep in mind that a side effect of uncontrolled cellular growth can lead to tuma's and cancers, there is a reason our body controls growth and cells the way it does, also it has been observed that an increase in Telomere length increases energy consumption needs.

Telomeres protect a cell's chromosomes from fusing with each other or rearranging — abnormalities that can lead to cancer — and so cells are destroyed when their telomeres are consumed. Most cancers are the result of "immortal" cells that have ways of evading this programmed destruction.

Source

It was funny i read about this last year while studying basic genetics online and from science publications and then after that i went running to health shops and pharmacies hoping there was some supplement that could boost Telomere / Telomerase re-production or length... sadly there wasn't.

Let's hope they make more progress on this though, it could just be the fountain of youth... although if they discover a working solution we will never hear about it.

A world where no one ages.... come on we already have over population problems.

Another supplement worth looking at that is currently available over the counter is Resveratrol

Hayflick Limit (critical length of Telomeres)

Telomeres

edit on 22-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I don't post much anymore, but had to on this just because it has always been something that has intrigued me. Not to mention I've been thinking about death a lot lately while laying in bed. Gets to the point of not being able to sleep, until I get so tired I finally doze off. It really has been bothering me.
My thoughts are that, considering I'm only 27, that by the time I'm 50 there will be significant steps in life extension. Im not too sure about this product however. I guess that's why I am all for stem cell research. Tons of cures can be made from it. Clone body parts, organs, etc.. just my take.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Farnhold
I dont want to be immortal. Immortality is curse... why would anyone want such a bad thing? Death is the way out. Death is what sets you free. Life is what limits you, you are limited by this... physical suit you were born to. If you want to live, free yourself from this body.

Then couldn't you argue the fact that one cant change his fate and destiny... if you could live forever, I would take that ride as long as possible... the world may turn small once you grow up, but that small world is huge and infinate...

You can argue that we are here for a reason, to break our chains... maybe we'll be the first to break the chain that death holds over all of us...

Lord Voldamor had the right idea... just was to much of a prick...

PS... Keanue Reeves is Immortal.... do some research on it lol ;P

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I guess if immortality came with infinite resources for everyone then yeah
I might want to live forever
But I couldn't watch other people suffer for all eternity....
I can barely stand it in the short time I've already been here....

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I'd think that this is being hidden from "normal" folks and used by the elite. Immortality is the wrong word for the headline, and just confuses people. It just means a longer, healthier life.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Lets let the whole world know about this before TPTB shut it down, tell everyone, EVERYONE!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Dont say that m8, you sound like the elite, this is an amazing discovery, wouldn't it mean that our cells wouldn't die if we went out into space, if this literally means that our cells could not die??

Just speculating.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorTom4754
reply to post by FTD Brat

WooT! No retirement, let's work forever as slaves

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowZion

Dont say that m8, you sound like the elite, this is an amazing discovery, wouldn't it mean that our cells wouldn't die if we went out into space, if this literally means that our cells could not die??

Just speculating.

We'd die from the band of radiation surrounding our planet but its wierd to think you'd be messing with the divine nature of things

When its your souls time to go, its your souls time to go.

But yeah, a few years ago if you asked me (im 21 now) i would thought it would be cool to live forever

If our human bodies were made to exist forever, they would.
Its only our soul that lives on.

Dont worry about this reality game we call earth, life.

It's just an experiment .

Go with the flow or create your own flow

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
We can all see the affects of an ageing population : a greater number of age related "brain" diseases. The brain is not affected by the these telemeres it soldiers on regardless and decays as it has before.

So : Do you want to live forever locked in a body your brain no longer controls going through the indignity of having somebody else wipe your immortal rear end, day after day, year after year, century after century!!!!!!

If they can delay the decying process of brain and body to a point where it is no longer viable (too many pills) and then you die suddenly having lived a healthy fit long 200 year life, that is worth pursuing. Buggers up the pensions though !!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
,this maybe a stupid question isnt Astragalus , some kind of mold or mold spores?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
What would happen if one day you would turn these genes off? Would you die instanatneously? Or, would it be a 'normal' death?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
While it sounds like a good idea, unless everybody is"upgraded" so to speak , it would have some unwanted effects.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Its all very well saying this will bring on immortality but will it really??

Yea your cells wont be limited to dividing and reproducing 50 times....but what about your brain.....how would your mind cope with immortality?

Il be happy if i live until 70....after then im pretty sure il be bored of life

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I can't understand the posters who are against possible life-extension or immortality. It boggles my mind. I suppose most of these people fall into two categories.

1. Heaven seekers - These people I can almost understand. If I thought I'd go to a great place and spend eternity with all of my loved ones upon death I might end my life today. I don't believe that would happen so I strive to live on.

2. People who never talked to someone dying - I've spent time with too many loved ones that were dying. They all said the same thing at one point. "I wish I had more time"

Sure the world isn't perfect, wouldn't you like more time to improve it? More time to learn new things? More time to talk to your parents or children or friends? Sign me up for anything that let's me live longer. When immortality is finally achieved I believe the living will value life far more than humanity does now.
edit on 6/22/2011 by RedParrotHead because: typo

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
hmmm sounds interesting especially for colonisation of other planets !
as mentioned previously.

However Im more transhumanist , upload my consciousness to a server and then download into a cyborg body and live forever , as masamune shirow would have it !

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lono1

If this is true and actually goes into effect in the next decade. Probably need to increase the age on social security and medicare benefits.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
How stupid you need to be to refuse immortality. I am not thinking about true immortality, but let's say we could achieve a 1000 years lifespan. Who wouldn't want to see future, space travel, great technology?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
What a bunch of crap. Immortality!
Forget it ! You will die!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dadgad
What a bunch of crap. Immortality!
Forget it ! You will die!

Are you under the impression that average human life expectancy was always around 70-80 years? One could argue that we have been practicing life extension ever since the first injured person was cared for and wasn't just left to die. It's only logical that we'll keep improving our methods for longer lives. I don't want to live forever, I just want to live as long as I choose to. Will I still be around when that option is available? Maybe not, but I hope so!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join