It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Molecule That "Turns On Immortality Gene"!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Would you really want immortality? After seeing all that we as humans are capable of doing?

It is obvious we would only end up destroying ourselves and this planet if we had such a "physical & material" gift.

True immortality comes from being remembered by those that love you and admire you, who talk about you when you are gone with respect and learn from your ways so that you carry on benefiting others even after your death (as many of the great people of history do so now).

But the life of this world is an illusion, a self made delusion and that is becoming more and more clear to me. I am trying to live my life as above, so that others benefit from me while I am alive and they will benefit from me when I am gone.

You would have to be pretty ignorant to think there is nothing beyond this physical realm, that we simply cease to exist after we die when the reality is that we simply move on. My view is that the concious mind carries on, living and being regardless of the human body but it's down to the person to believe they can and will carry on and in what form.

Still this could lead to some beneficial studies and possibly cure many illnesses we have right now (one would hope).
edit on 22-6-2011 by old_god because: Obama made me do it!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Interesting, thanks for posting

I would never want immortality though, at least I don't think so
I don't think we were meant to be immortal with the amount of babies born everyday, but maybe the Annunaki did suppress such a gene.

I don't want to live forever, I just want to fly and and have see-through vision like superman

End of this thing...when we finally get to understand how to use this gene will just be that we get to live our lives in our 23-25 to 30 year old bodies for maybe 200-300 years before the aging finally kicks in.

At some point regardless of telomere the body will only be able to last so long....but why not use this.

We would have to have SELF Implimented rules that allow for no more than 3 kids per fam. though....

So I know this sounds bad, but start it out ( experiment wise ) with cultures who have smaller families...

So sorry you latin Americans with 12 kids....you need to self regulate.

But yea this would be a huge breakthrough.....well it already is.....just nobody know about it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I don't want to live forever, I just want to fly and and have see-through vision like superman

YES

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
With our limited space technology we need this gene if we intend on reaching other star systems. I would sign up for it no problem. Also if you want to control population extending life span is the key. The longer a species life span is extend the less children they have.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by old_god
Would you really want immortality? After seeing all that we as humans are capable of doing?

It is obvious we would only end up destroying ourselves and this planet if we had such a "physical & material" gift.

Many people view what they do without concern as to how it will effect the earth in 100 or so years..because they won't be around.
Perhaps the concept that they will be here may make many people and governments reconsider their actions..suddenly a real look into human interaction and the environmental consequences will be seriously looked at, because its not our grandkids grandkids we are effecting...its us.

As far as what humans are capable of doing...we are like fire...we can do great things, or horrible things...all depending on how we use it.

I see, for every serial killer, there are 500 good people trying to help out a bit...however, I don't like how we ignore the 500 doing good and focus on the 1 serial killer to define us. I think thats an incredible misrepresentation of our species at a whole...and I look suspiciously at people whom will only see the acts of the killer

True immortality comes from being remembered by those that love you and admire you, who talk about you when you are gone with respect and learn from your ways so that you carry on benefiting others even after your death (as many of the great people of history do so now).

Going on again from what I just said
Who is remembered in history? a couple peaceful figures, but for the most part, conquorers and societys most evil.
If immortality is only what is passed down in storys and rememberences, then only vile and evil creatures are immortal...vampires if you will.

I say this levels the playing field...but then again, we are not discussing immortality. living to the age of 100 is seen as a great thing, and is possible with medicine and understanding of our body. This just (potentially) increases it a bit more...by a year or a thousand thousand years...still the same thing...just extending it a bit more.

You would have to be pretty ignorant to think there is nothing beyond this physical realm, that we simply cease to exist after we die when the reality is that we simply move on. My view is that the concious mind carries on, living and being regardless of the human body but it's down to the person to believe they can and will carry on and in what form.

Why ignorant?
Consider this...lets say we were all fully and completely sold on the afterlife stuff...that we die and go to a cosmic disneyland.
Why bother curing anything? Why even eat? having a rough patch in life, well, just lay down and die and goto disneyland.
No, I think its critical that we don't stop and just wait for death...we must press forward with longevity and a war against mortality. it has always been our driving force...hell, its all lifeforms driving force, from an amoeba that moves away from danger, to a human running away from a charging rhino, etc.

We instinctually know in our core to try and survive to live another day..
an 85 year old man whom has lost everything, his wife, his friends, perhaps even many sons and daughters, will still take his daily meds, still try to move around, etc...so that he can live another day.
Because something deep inside of us acknowledges a simple fact...this is the only life we know is real...everything after that is total speculation and hope.

Still this could lead to some beneficial studies and possibly cure many illnesses we have right now (one would hope).
edit on 22-6-2011 by old_god because: Obama made me do it!

What is the difference?
Cure illness = pushing off death
Longevity treatment = pushing off death.

You have a lot of society acceptance programming in you, and if you step back for a second, it sounds a bit insane.
Its bad to successfully cure a illness (called ageing) because it doesn't limit your lifespan...but it is good to successfully cure a illness because illnesses limit your lifespan.

Time for that mindset to change I think. Not that this treatment will somehow make us all vamps..but down the road, it may be possible to do just this through a series of fields working together...then those sold on a tiny limited lifespan will quickly die out as some sort of former species. self evolution from homo-sapians to...something else...homo-cyberians perhaps (sounds cool)
edit on 22-6-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lono1

The big question with this gene is whether it would reverse aging and/or cure terminal illnesses and cancer. That would be awesome if it did

edit on 22-6-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Why would pharmaceutical companies hide an anti ageing drug? Do you have any idea how much money the first company to market this product would get?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
Why would pharmaceutical companies hide an anti ageing drug? Do you have any idea how much money the first company to market this product would get?

Agreed
Corporations, and even government, will see nothing but advantages to have a taxpayer remain healthy and employeed to continue buying their crap, paying taxes, etc...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
reply to post by Lono1

The big question with this gene is whether it would reverse aging and/or cure terminal illnesses and cancer. That would be awesome if it did

edit on 22-6-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

Good questions. I think it might "reverse" aging to an extent. There may be some permanent damage caused by aging but I think other medical procedures could take care of most of these. Besides if you are lucky enough get this when you're young it won't be an issue.

But I don't think it'll cure any terminal illness or cancer.

And for those who say "I wouldn't want to live in an 80 year old body" I assume your aging would vastly slow down. Hell, even right now there are some older people who appear young, it has to do with overall lifestyle... I think and modern medicine. Ever see a picture of your grandparents when they were around 40? Tell me they don't look 60!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You can almost compare this to the simulation hypothesis.

If we were ever to become immortal....chances are we are already.

What if....these bodies are really just vessels that we use to extend this reality? What if the body is the thing that gives us immortality.....maybe our mind is just a mass of energy (not the brain...the mind..the thing that makes you you) that can be transferred to other things?

What if 100000 years in the past we worked out a way of removing our mind from a body....maybe we created the human body to house our minds for a finite period of time. After that time the mind is free to inhibit another body/object.
Could that be the reason why we are so advanced compared to other lifeforms on this rock? We invented ourselves
We were designed to be top dog.....who really knows?? No one.

I wouldnt want to live 150 years even if it were possible....and i highly doubt if this were to become the norm that us regular peasants would be offered this.

Can you imagine governments full of immortal humans controlling the world for thousands of years at a time? They would use us even more than they do nowadays.....as the generations past, they would be looked at as though they were gods...would they tell the people they are mere humans or lie to keep you in fear?

The future looks pretty pants if this does become a reality.

Poor stay poor......immortals control the planet and work us to death...who would care? They are going to outlive us by centuries, it would be like killing a daddy long-legs to them in the scheme of things...they could just continue to tell everyone they were gods.

Nope....il be happy to die when the time comes

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Who are these "elite" you speak of? The NWO? The Illuminati? Come on now. Sure if this becomes possible it'll be available to the rich first because it's expensive. Just like everything. Eventually the cost will come down and more and more will be able to afford it (just like flat screen TVs). And why would they purposely exclude everyone else? If you had it would you be that stingy? Not all rich & powerful people are super evil. Besides the robots will be doing their slave work...
edit on 6/22/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I would definitely like to live forever. It makes me sad to think that one day me and my lover will die and who knows if we will be together on the other side. I am not one hundred percent on whether there is an afterlife and if this is the only one we have then it is going to be a sad day when we pass on and we lose each other.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Who are these "elite" you speak of? The NWO? The Illuminati? Come on now. Sure if this becomes possible it'll be available to the rich first because it's expensive. Just like everything. Eventually the cost will come down and more and more will be able to afford it (just like flat screen TVs). And why would they purposely exclude everyone else? If you had it would you be that stingy? Not all rich & powerful people are super evil. Besides the robots will be doing their slave work...
edit on 6/22/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

Not elites....just scummy humans with money and power.

I think you give too much credit to these people....why would they keep it from us for example lol.

Certain things never come down in price....look at cancer drugs for example.

If i discovered something like immortality of course id try and get it out there...but chances are i would never get the chance.

Our governments are full of scum, power hungry, money hungry whores. If they could have power for 500 years why would they care about someone who only lives for 70? They would see generations come and go, they would have no personal attachment to normal mortal humans.

If you gave this to our world leaders we would be reduced back to hard labor and slavery......look what they do to us already and they only stay in a couple of terms...imagine what life would be like for our grand children if this were to come to fruition.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy

Not elites....just scummy humans with money and power.

I think you give too much credit to these people....why would they keep it from us for example lol.

Certain things never come down in price....look at cancer drugs for example.

If i discovered something like immortality of course id try and get it out there...but chances are i would never get the chance.

Our governments are full of scum, power hungry, money hungry whores. If they could have power for 500 years why would they care about someone who only lives for 70? They would see generations come and go, they would have no personal attachment to normal mortal humans.

If you gave this to our world leaders we would be reduced back to hard labor and slavery......look what they do to us already and they only stay in a couple of terms...imagine what life would be like for our grand children if this were to come to fruition.

I disagree. Would you have "no personal attachment" to say, a child that dies at 3 months old? Why are the dirty masses allowed to have vaccinations? Or even allowed to take vitamins? And what's to stop them? How about 6 billion pissed off people?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Here is the abstract of the study being cited in the article.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

It concludes:

We conclude that the protocol lengthens critically short telomeres and remodels the relative proportions of circulating leukocytes of CMV(+) subjects toward the more "youthful" profile of CMV(-) subjects. Controlled randomized trials are planned to assess TA-65®-specific effects in humans.

So it sounds like this has not been tested on humans in a controlled fashion yet to determine what if any specific effects there will be on living breathing people. But there is reason for cautious optimism.

I would like to see some challenges or reviews of this research. I haven't been able to find any.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Give me immortality i love life
sorry for the short reply

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Farnhold
I dont want to be immortal. Immortality is curse... why would anyone want such a bad thing? Death is the way out. Death is what sets you free. Life is what limits you, you are limited by this... physical suit you were born to. If you want to live, free yourself from this body.

you first.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
one of the reasons life has the flavor it does is because its finite. One day you are here and one day you are not and in the time in between you should be living life the best way you can. Sure, it would be nice to see all that the future may hold but the future isnt mine. Its for my children, and their children. each generation that comes and goes is left to teach something to the one that comes after it and learn from the one that came before it. its the knowledge that should be immortal....not the people. They are just part of the dance and yet they always seem to want to make themselves the center of it, attempting to bend nature to their will. Well I dont think nature is so easily subdued and even with an extended life, she will eventually develop something that will remind us of our place. Whether there is an afterlife or not, Im excited at the prospect of that final journey into the unknown. I will try my best to enjoy the time that I have here, right now, however much that may be.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'm a bit curious as to how they activate the hTERT gene? Wouldn't that gene need to activated in all types of cells such as neurons, killer T cells, etc for the person to achieve immortality?
Maybe someone with a background in molecular biology or genetics can explain that to me.
I'd really appreciate it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'd love to live as long as I wanted.

I think there'd be less conflict, because the more you remember of the past, the less likely you are to make those mistakes again.

I can think of all kinds of enhancements to civilization that would be welcome due to the knowledge retained by individuals not having to be re-learned. All the physical sciences would have development accelerated.

And for those folks who say that our short lifespan is what makes life worth living, I suspect that you're probably of the religious lot wanting to get to the final reward. Life is beautiful and worth living no matter what happens at the end. Seems kind of fatalistic to think that it's only worth living if there's an end to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join