It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorini (Thera) Volcano in Greece might be waking up..!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

I very much like what you posted, and understand where you are coming from!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If Santorini erupts, it could be a planet killer.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

Really? Could you provide the source of your information please?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak

If the volcano erupts,it will cause great damage in the countries around the mediterreanean sea,but planet killer...no i don't think so.Alhough the volcano has the second place in volcanic eruptions in human history,the fact that it had 3 eruptions in the 20th century,might make it a little safer than the other calderas.

www.volcano.si.edu...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

On a more sci-fi scenario,recently they discovered unknown bacteria,near the caldera.Up to now they have a little idea on the origin of the bacteria.So i'm thinking,if the volcano erupts and this bacteria surface,what would be the consequences or what effect will have on humans?

We do not know the biological identity of these bacteria, except that they use chimeiosynthesis rather than photosynthesis to survive. They live in a strange environment and it has been estimated that such bacteria are probably the primary forms of life and how any such a life form is likely to be found on another habitable planet' said the NEA newspaper Dr. Paraskevi Nomikou.

www.santorini.gr...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

And I could be the next Enrico Caruso if only I could sing.

Santorini is miniscule compared to Toba and Taupo, both of which have erupted while humans have been around and we're still here. It was touch and go after Toba admittedly, but we pulled through.

At worst, if Santorini were to erupt with the same force as it's largest to-date, it would go some way toward easing Greece's unemployment problems and perhaps help cool the climate for a year or two.

Some would argue that to be no bad thing. But planet killer? I think not.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Welcome, everyone! I was under the impression that supervolcanoes, when they erupt with all of their force, could cause very serious global problems, maybe not kill the planet, that would be a hyperbole, but affect it a lot. Santorini is now listed as a supervolcano, and can cause eruptions estimated 7 on the VEI list. So, it is a matter that pretty much affects the entire planet, such as Yellowstone, lake Toba etc...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Thank you, I think so too. At the very least, we might get to now something more about the way volcanoes work, the way they act when they start getting active again, and we may even find signs that an eruption is imminent. Welcome!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Very interesting find, well done

I have read that there is evidence that life is tied with volcanoes, since the ingredients they release when they erupt, are the basic ones to get life started, that's probably why the bacteria mentioned in the article you posted are considered to be primordial. But I have no idea what more could it mean.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imogene72

Very interesting find, well done

I have read that there is evidence that life is tied with volcanoes, since the ingredients they release when they erupt, are the basic ones to get life started, that's probably why the bacteria mentioned in the article you posted are considered to be primordial. But I have no idea what more could it mean.

Means nothing,i was just playing with the "kill the planet" scenario.
You know:unknown primordial bacteria "wake up" after the eruption,cause mutations,zombies.Stuff like that.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Oh ok..! In that case... lol !!!

edit on 15-11-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
latest that we are toldat Santorini

2011-11-19 02:40:26 2.4 23 Km
EDIS

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think this thread would be long gone without you, Jane. Thank you for the update...!

Now, this is a greek article, written on November 14, with the latest news and information in Greek:

www.geodifhs.com...

And here is the rough Google translation:
"Santorini Volcano: The number of earthquakes remains slightly elevated 14/11/2011

Picture
The seismic activity beneath the volcano continues to be slightly above normal levels. Starting from July this year, there is increased activity in SW-NE zone passing through Nea Kameni and the submarine Columbo volcano northeast of Santorini.
The alignment (also known as line of Kameni and Columbia) to a broad zone parallel-about 2 miles - a tectonic structure Horst (Horn) and Graben (ditch) of the crystalline rocks of the area. Most of the known volcanoes of Santorini in the last 2 million years were in this straight line, or more precisely in the south boundary of (Kameni line) or the northern boundary of Columbo (Kolumbus line).
Absence of other data sources, the information derived from the position and the number and intensity of earthquakes, other than vague speculation might suggest that the current seismic activity around the island of Santorini could be a precursor phenomenon to a new cycle of volcanic activity . Last eruption of Santorini was in 1950.

Geodifis information from Volcano Discovery

Map-Earthquakes in Santorini from 14 August to 12 November of 2011 (source: Department of Geophysics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki)".

I have a question though. Since the volcano is getting active, as it seems from the fact that the volcano was upgrated recently to "restless" status in the volcanodiscovery.com site, as angelchemuel posted in page 4 of this thread, why do greek articles continue on saying that it is not sure yet whether the volcano is getting active or not???

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
And here is another one, with the scientists findings so far:

santo-rinios.blogspot.com...

And here is the translation (Google):

"The results of monitoring of the volcano

The results of monitoring of the volcano during the period 2010-2011 showed Saturday scientists ISMOSAV (Institute of Santorini Volcano Observatory)

Teachers Messrs. Crop and Papazachos, presented in full detail the measurements and answered questions from attendees. According to Mr. vegetable or seismicity in the caldera had presented a strong activity in the period of May 2011, however, as pointed out subsequently, returned to normal limits and there is no reason to worry. Mr. Fytikas referred to the phenomenon of underwater gas jet presented in Riva Thirassia and noted that it is a normal phenomenon occurring in many parts of the country.

Both Mr plant and a seismologist Mr. Papazachos. Assignment of them appeared reassuring with regard to the status of volcano showed however that should continue to follow with more seismographs and other scientific institutions to provide early warning if something changed in the future. According to Mr. Vegetable scientific instruments that monitor the volcano has added a GPS network which monitor in detail the changes on the surface of the island and the volcano. On his part, Mayor Thera said in his speech that the City would continue to financially support the ISMOSAV and scientists who even thanked for their efforts."

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Imogene72

No thanks required Imogene.
I visited Santorini some 35 years ago on a school cruise from the UK. Unfortunately the planed visit to the island was scuppered because a storm the night before had resulted in a landslide which washed away pert of the famously picturesque cliffside that it the only access to the town above. I have always felt robbed since then!

Well this is the latest rport on EDIS which is for today

2011-11-21 18:41:17 2.0 10 Km

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
And yesterdays...
2011-11-22 22:56:48 2.6 11 Km
EDIS

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
5.1 EARTHQUAKE!!!

www.emsc-csem.org...

It is quite far from the volcano, but some underline fault could have been triggered, and there is a connection between faults..

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I saw that on EDIS and checked out the map.
My worry is that there is a major fault line that goes from Turkey down through the Med, via the Cannaries and ends up joining the mid Atlantic Rift. Given what has and is still going on in Turkey and the Cannaries, anything in between in my book is affected.
I am just a little sad that our EQ experts have yet to visit this thread to throw their expert view over what is happening here as they have access to far more detailed seismic reports and the where with all to give their expert opinion on their interpretations on the seismograms.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This is the latest from EDIS
2011-11-24 16:22:41 2.3 5 Km

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
I saw that on EDIS and checked out the map.
My worry is that there is a major fault line that goes from Turkey down through the Med, via the Cannaries and ends up joining the mid Atlantic Rift. Given what has and is still going on in Turkey and the Cannaries, anything in between in my book is affected.
I am just a little sad that our EQ experts have yet to visit this thread to throw their expert view over what is happening here as they have access to far more detailed seismic reports and the where with all to give their expert opinion on their interpretations on the seismograms.
Rainbows
Jane

U2U some of them and get them working on it

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join