It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorini (Thera) Volcano in Greece might be waking up..!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The BBC recently re-ran a drama documentary they did on the idea that Santorini was Atlantis. They followed this up the next night on BBC2 with a historical/archaeological investigation into Plato's writings about Atlantis and how Santorini fits his description.

At the time I thought it was 'coincidental' as activity around Santorini had started picking up and the 'conspiracy theorist' in me thought I wonder if they are putting us on notice. They were both very good programmes.

here's a link to the drama

www.bbc.co.uk...

and the link to the documentary

www.bbc.co.uk...

here's the making of the drama on you tube

www.youtube.com...

and here's trailers

www.youtube.com...

Rainbows
jane

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Just a thought, but shouldn't all the postings about Libya and Africa be in a posting of their own?
Am I being thick, but I cannot see the link to Santorini no matter how I try.

Moderators? Where for art thou moderators?

Rainbows
jane

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I'm glad you brought this up about the documentary because on the footage you can clearly see bits of the volcano poking above sea level. A really beautiful part of the world but the houses high up on the cliff edges would worry me in terms of seismic activity .

Incidentally does anyone know the long and lat co-ordinates for this part of Greece - Santorini specifically ? There are so many islands and so many quakes daily it's hard to tell on the EMSC site.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Campi Flegrei update 22nd June

Italy, update

hisz.rsoe.hu...

5.5 @ 40km

I know it's in a different country before anybody shoots me down! But it is important.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by slidingdoor

I'm glad you brought this up about the documentary because on the footage you can clearly see bits of the volcano poking above sea level. A really beautiful part of the world but the houses high up on the cliff edges would worry me in terms of seismic activity .

Incidentally does anyone know the long and lat co-ordinates for this part of Greece - Santorini specifically ? There are so many islands and so many quakes daily it's hard to tell on the EMSC site.

Here you go...courtesy of Wikepedia

Coordinates 36°25′N 25°26′E / 36.417°N 25.433°E / 36.417; 25.433

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

yeah, this must happen in the region, ALSO in the USA.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Isn't there also a theory that the explosion is somehow responsible for the 10 plagues of Egypt?
I think I remember seeing that discussed as a possibility in a Discovery Channel special.
That explosion theoretically set up the scene for the chain of events, water turning red, frogs, flies ect.
in perfect order.

Thanks to the OP for this update. I had no idea it was grumbling. In a way it's kind of symbolic of the Greek people right now. Rumblings in society threatening a cataclysmic explosion someday.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Many thanks for that angelchemuel.

Going back to the Sulphur/rotten eggs smell, I imagine it would be hard to pin point the exact location of the smell as that type of aroma once in your nostrils feels like its everywhere - but it would be interesting to know if it appears to waft in from the water or from the land ? They must be able to test the water around there in the sea for a higher than usual prescence of sulphur ? Any budding chemists out there ?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I had never heard about these BBC documentaries, they sound very intriguing, I will have to download the series and watch it! I am a huge documentary fan, so this should be fun! Thanks!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

Yes, actually, this theory that the volcano eruption caused the ten plagues is well known, and is considered a certain fact among the volcanologists and archaeologists.
Here is the wikipedia link:
en.wikipedia.org...

And here is an explanation of how this was proven scientifically:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

P.S. You think it could be symbolic? Rather interesting timing, I agree. Let's hope the people will erupt before the volcano does

edit on 22-6-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2011 by Imogene72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

Do you think it would make a difference if they could pinpoint the place where the smell comes from? Like, for example, if it came from the sea, the activity would be mainly focused under water, whereas if it came from inland, the activity would be focused there? Sounds plausible to me.

Although I didn't find any results on that one, while searching the web. Will keep an eye on that one and keep you posted!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Imogene72

I was thinking along the lines of an undersea quake and the devastation that could cause in terms of a tsunami versus a land based one - it would seem more logical given the history that the current activity may well be under water though I can't confirm that.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Campi Flegrei Update 23rd June

Nothing to do with Santorini, but still of importance for the knock on effect down the Mediterranean fault line.

Two more EQ's 6.0 @40km 23.00utc and 5.5 @35KM 10.30utc

hisz.rsoe.hu...

What's worrying is the depth...too consistent.
Also Etna is showing all signs of blowing.

Rainbows
Jane

edit on 23-6-2011 by angelchemuel because: Ooops, forgot link, sorry!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Campi Flegrei update 25th June

hisz.rsoe.hu...

25th June, 4.2 @62km

Rainbows
jane

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Hey, thanks for the updates!
Unfortunately, the media here is strangely quiet about the Santorini volcano, and there have been no updates yet. But the peiople haven't stop complaining and worrying. As soon as I find sonething new, I will keep you posted!
Cheers!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Most people are not aware that not far from Santorini there is crater of another supervolcano, approx. same size as Thera/Santorini. It's caldera has formed the Lasithi Plateau on the island Crete.

Driving south and up to the mountain, we venture inland, where we reach the fertile Plateau of Lassithi, which may have been the crater of an ancient volcano.

Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/55e051d792fd.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e6f47496a8d3.jpg[/atsimg]
Lasithi Plateau satellite images

I hope that if Santorini becomes active it will not affect Lasithi. I live a few miles from the entrance to the Lasithi plateau and we recently had a series of little quakes in this area (around 4 Richter).

Ko3

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kid_of_3NKi

I have visited this volcano in the past, it's very very ipressive..! But I had no idea you keep getting quakes there, the media is quiet about that too! Even though EQs are not necessarily linked to volcanoes, they could be coincidental. Have you noticed any other signs of increased volcanic activity? By any means, please do keep us posted. It is good to keep an eye on this volcano as well, just to be on the safe side. I appreciate the important contribution in this thread!
P.S. Nice avatar

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Campi Flegrei update 26th June

Here's another one 4.7 @ 60km

Greece still rattling but seem to be increasing in velocity slowly.

Rainbows

Jane

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Let me tell you a story.

It's got lots of legendary people and events in the stew. The main character is a volcano. Today the island above the massive volcanic chamber is called Santorini. In the olden days, it was called Thera.

Some call it Atlantis.

This volcano erupted some 3600 years ago. It's tsunami devasted Crete and rocked the Minoan civilization. But that wasn't all. The eruption unlocks the cause of one of the strangest stories in the Bible. There was even an eyewitness to this terrible event.

What was this event?
Who was this witness?

The event was the destruction of Soddom and Gomorrah.
The witness, Abraham.

The eruption was not a typical eruption. It was a phreatic eruption. I have my own version of a grand phreatic scenario which I call a VME, ( Volcanic Mass Ejection- similiar to CME) but I'll save you the thinking and stay on the topic of Thera and Abraham.

A phreatic eruption is different because water is a catalyst. It creates steam which causes an eruption to be extremely explosive. It can blow up an entire island. Just like what happen at Santorini. But there's more to a phreatic eruption than the explosion. Scientists seem to underestimate, and don't understand the enormity of these events. They can't seem to comprehend what happened to the gases that erupted.

What happened?

Under Santorini, there is a magma chamber. This magma chamber was breached by sea-water. The water was heated and expanded. The increased pressure exterts outward force which causes fault to open and allows more water to enter the chamber area. This casues a cascade. A reaction. Like a nuclear chain reaction. In short time, the pressure builds to a point which causes the entire magma chamber to explode.

But that's not all that happened. What goes up- must come down. I'm sure you're all familiar with the recent Icelandic volcanic eruption. We watched as the ash clouds rose into the atmosphere and rode the wind currents. To eventually scatter and fall back to earth. It's was a typical scenario. That's not what happened at Thera around 1600 BCE.

The explosion ejected the entire magma chamber high into the atmosphere all in one burst. Unlike Iceland, which took it's sweet time. The force of the explosion turned the magma into a gas. The gas could was high temperature sulfur dioxide. Maybe even sulfur trioxide. Chemistry is not my strong suit.

This volitile, highly concentrated sulfur cloud would have been carried by the winds just like a normal eruption. Thera is in the Mediterranean Sea. The winds usually blow from west to the east. To the east of Thera is the Holy Land. And the Dead Sea. Which is the lowest point on land. It is 400 metres below sea level.

The sulfuric cloud travelled along the currents until it reached the Dead Sea area. One eye witness was in a perfect location to view the approaching gas cloud. Abraham. He was near Hebron on the plains of Mamre. Which is nearly 1000 metres above sea level. He would have been able to look out over the Mediterranean Sea.

Abraham saw this gas cloud and it's strange colours approaching to his north. He even could tell where it was headed and sent to three angels (or envoys) to Sodom and Gomorrah to warn Lot.

So what happened at Sodom and Gomorrah?

Due to the valley of the Dead Sea, the weather patterns may have had a cold front passing through the valley at the same time the gas cloud entered region. The gas cloud condensed. Just like normal clouds that condense and cause precipitation. Or rain. Usual stuff. Except in this case cloud condensed and it rained sulfuric acid.

Hense the brimstone from the sky.
Everything melted and combusted. Sufuric acid will have reacted with the straw within the mud brick homes and would have destroyed everything.

Lot was told to run and not turn back. Look back. His wife did. She was caught in the rain. She did not turn to a pillar of salt. She dissolved as if she were a pillar of salt in the rain.

That's why no one can find Sodom and Gomorrah. Because it's gone. All gone. Not a trace left.
God made it rain brimstone, and the cities dissolved into nothingness.

Into nothing but legend and belief.
With nothing to find.
Like Atlantis.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Campei Flegrei update 27th June

Campei Flegrei, itssy bittsy 1.9 @ 20km

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Plus absolutely loads of EQ's constantly in Turkey.

Rainbows
Jane

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join