It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
yeah well for all those who say its a constitutional right to speak whatever language you want

get real.

that constitution is written in what language now? ENGLISH

for 12 years i was taught and the majority of americans were taught from kindergaten through high school english.

college years english and other languages were optional.

laziness or just thinking that they are better than americans who speak english dont really care.

in the us we speak english and if you dont like it either leave or conform.

it is a public safety hazard not being able to read road signs and other signs etc.

this aint about race its about people being able to communicate with each other.

and i am reitterating the most important thing: learn english or leave.

the choice is yours but i will be damned after being born here and lving all my life i am forced to learn someone elses.

flame all you want i dont care

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
There is NO official language in the melting pot.

Really, so all Americans that learn ENGLISH in school is not considered the OFFICAL Language of the US? Why do they teach people English in school then?

English is not an official langauge in the United States, people are not obligated to speak english, regardless of what public schools may hold. There are private schools who don't teach english at all, it's not a requirement in this country and should never be.

Everyone knows to talk to someone here you have to speak English,

So if I speak German to somebody, will I be arrested for not speaking the correct language? Real liberty in the making folks.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think it is embarrassing to be speaking spanish during that sort of hearing... And for having been in the USA for as long as he had. But if the subject felt he could be more eloquent and clear by speaking his first language, and have it translated through an interpreter... Well, I guess that is right to do so.

Does not help his case though.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

no mi amigo, la broma es sobre ti

cuanto más pronto se da cuenta de este el mejor de usted será

Por suerte para usted, hay zona para aplicaciones que

All I got out of that was: no my friend the word 'more' and 'why'.
I think. Mi Dios!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sdocpublishing

Touche! That's a point well taken.

I wish for our country that we can find some way to ascend above all the sociopolitical dischord, and sing one song, like we've been thoeretically trying to do since those first boats arrived from across the big water.

Perhaps I'm just being idealistic, but I believe that one of the things that makes our country great is that we are a mirror of the entire world.

Any and every culture should be able to live here, be themselves here, and, if they work equally hard, prosper here.

That is the America I believe in, and anything short of that, isn't good enough.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

why when i could just hire a translator, why not learn another language. forcing? alittle exaterating, whos putting the gun to your head? call 911.

telling people to leave the country yeah right. Your gonna use violence right because thats all you like to do when things dont go the way you want.
The world is evolving well soon be speaking spanglish.

Too angry, to demanding. whatever act like God all you want your just another person like me.

Dont worry we can still be fwiends.
edit on 17-6-2011 by HisMajesty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

thats what the great melting pot and e pluribus unum was all about.

out of many people come one thought and one voice a national identity
edit on 17-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
this isnt freedom of speech, this is a rude mexican trying to make a point.

i agree with all the others who say when you're in a country, you speak the language. it would be stupid for me to move to russia right now and not speak any russian and not even try. it would be even more STUPID for me to actually understand and speak russian and still speak english, i'd just be a downright douchebag.

the American language IS english. just like in France they speak french and in Spain they speak spanish. sure its your right to speak whatever the #@% language you want and people do but it doesnt change the fact that you should at least be able to comprehend whats going on in the country around you and communicate with the people in that country.

i have a friend whos family is from Hungary and within their household they only speak hungarian, but at school, work and just generally in public they speak perfect english because they understand that it is just the proper thing to do.
edit on 6/17/2011 by xxblackoctoberxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

What if i go to russia and speak english? so what?. a little too angry i suppose you are
edit on 17-6-2011 by HisMajesty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

is that what it sais on the US quarter. Just shows how they say USA is a speaky english only

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HisMajesty

sew buttons.

go for it, but what i mean is that if someone were to move to a country that speaks a different language than their own they should at least have the courtesy to learn the language instead of forming isolated groups that only communicate in their own language among themselves

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
welcome to the United States of Mexico!

Unless this guy cannot speak English, he has no right to be testifying in Spanish.
Here's the thing though, if I didn't know how to speak English, I wouldn't testify at all.
edit on 17-6-2011 by SophyC76 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2011 by SophyC76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

yeah i suppose ill learn a sentence or two, like "where s the bathroom?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SophyC76

thanks glad to be here

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Born and raised in the united states and live in a area where it's mostly portuguese, was denied a job because i didn't know portuguese.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
In the Constitution, is there anything concerning the language of the person excercising thier right to life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness? None come to mind at this moment. What about a person with a speach impediment? Or a person with no tounge? Seems like the Constitution, The Declaration Of Independence, etc., have the unique trait of being universally translated with little effort. If you dont understand whats being said , either try harder or dont listen . Or you could open your mind. Those would all be valid solutions. Doesnt matter the language..thats kind of the point of a republic, isnt it? Work to achieve the standard you set for yourself. Including government positions and a more efective representation in whatever orginization you represent.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HisMajesty

yeah i suppose ill learn a sentence or two, like "where s the bathroom?

i should have related it to the OP's video more. the man in the video has been living in the US for the last 23 years.. if i lived in russia for 23 years, even if i didnt want to, i bet i'd be able to carry on at least a broken conversation in russian with someone.

23 years. thats probably almost half the guys life.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
What happens when there is an accident and a witness speaks poor english? When I was in an accident and it wasn't my fault, I had a lawyer who had to change the official police report because a hispanic witness didn't understand a certain word. He spoke to her and demonstrated the word she used and she said "oh no no!" and then tried to explain again. this time it was something completely different and correct. It is extremely important to know the language of the land.

Had I not have had other witnesses and only her, it could have made the difference of me winning or losing the case. Just something to think about.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by psyko45

what about sign language, does it have to be in english too?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rumor21

havent you ever heard of rosseta stone? youll be speaking portugese in to time and get that job you always wanted

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join