“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
You're all over reacting. All of us in the U.S.A. are just going to have to learn to speak Mandarin (Chinese) soon anyway.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Remember when immigrants used to actually melt into the melting pot? Accepting that they're not from another country anymore, but apart of this one? A country can't stand with huge numbers of foreigners who refuse to give up their citizenship to another nation. Proudly carrying flags of their old nation, stomping or burning the flag of their new nation and refusing to speak the language of the majority. The majority of people in this country speak english, you should make an effort to read and speak it. It helps the nation as a hole stay united when we can understand each other.

A country divided cannot stand. I've never seen America more divided than it is now.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I bet your going to be pissed when the hesses are in power and make espanol the official languge in about 20 years

it is YOU that should be learning spanish my friend

Many States have already made english their official language and we are fighting for it to be on a federal level. I took french in school and I suck at languages. I swear I've been traumatized being forced to listen to spanish every day for 8 years. I felt like I wasn't even in my own Country.
It was like a sort of torture.

I would never ever expect another Country to change just because me and many of my fellow Americans decided to move there. That is just rude and highly disrespectful. Why would I move to another Country, enjoy all the benefits of being in that Country and then expect all of the country's people to cater to me? That is screwed up.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Let him testify.Don't let him have an interpreter though.It might take him another 23 years but he'll get it eventually.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

Sometimes even English speaking people don't even know how to read the English language. Why not ask, "How come you don't know how to read?" Languages don't come easily to every person, some things are not easily learned. New languages are learned best at a young age, how old was he when he moved here? What's that saying, old dogs can't learn new tricks?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scoriada
Seriously? You have been in the country for 23 YEARS and you still feel more comfortable speaking Spanish? You're either LAZY or STUPID or both.

How many other languages do you know?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I am of mexican descent, but with that said ... if you are here in America, then speak english! This isnt mexico.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba

Sometimes even English speaking people don't even know how to read the English language. Why not ask, "How come you don't know how to read?" Languages don't come easily to every person, some things are not easily learned. New languages are learned best at a young age, how old was he when he moved here? What's that saying, old dogs can't learn new tricks?

I sucked at another language even at a young age!
I learned many words and phrases but couldn't converse in that language. I know words in many languages but cannot converse in them. Then again I didn't move out of my Country either.

In any case, how can we have hundreds of languages spoken here and just cater to the spanish speaking? If english ties us all together, why is that so wrong?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I bet your going to be pissed when the hesses are in power and make espanol the official languge in about 20 years

it is YOU that should be learning spanish my friend

Joke is on you.

This country will be long gone in 20 years, either through war or financial ruin.

In fact some days I pray for this government to collapse and complete financial ruin just so I can sit back and watch all the chaos ensue when the cockroaches from south of the border panic and scatter once they realize their free ride is over and their meal ticket is gone for good.

It's going to really suck having 10 kids and not have food to feed them or a home to put them in. The real question is will Mexico let them back in? Maybe they will since mexican is the only language they speak.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It is your right in a mitlitcultural society to speak what ever language you wish.. whats up with you peeps....

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Although there is no "official" language in the United States, over 96% claim to speak English "well, or very well," according to Wikipedia, with well over 80% of those born here being fluent in a variation of North American English.
That is if I read correctly.

I am all for making immigrants learn English, and I am slightly confused as to why none of the proposed bills and amendments that would have made English the official language have yet to pass. There are too many jobs that require an applicant to speak Spanish, and I have a problem with that. Now, don't get me wrong, as I do understand that some jobs require that an applicant be fluent in another language.

However, there are other cases, such as those when employers wishes to hire people that speak Spanish because the employers themselves speak Spanish, as well as the workers, which is biased. You ask why I am picking on Spanish? Well, because I live in Texas for one, and second, I don't see an influx of Canadian immigrants, AND all of the Oriental, Middle Eastern, Asian immigrants that I have encountered have been relatively fluent in English. That's why.

I frequent a convenience store that is owned by someone of Middle-Eastern descent, and this guy speaks four different languages. I knew from our interactions that he could speak English; I always heard him talking in Arabic; One day I heard him speaking Spanish to a customer, and he told me he speaks German after I asked him. Not only that, but his entire family could as well, and they worked with him in the store. Now that is coming to the US prepared.

It isn't that I am prejudiced or biased against Mexicans, it is just that I am biased toward illegal immigration, as well as biased against natural born citizens having to learn Spanish for a minimum wage job.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
::weighs in::

so many great points

I agree with both sides!

and I speak American, not English

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

no mi amigo, la broma es sobre ti

cuanto más pronto se da cuenta de este el mejor de usted será

Por suerte para usted, hay zona para aplicaciones que

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
People, people, people.

Some of you just find a story that feeds your already short sighted mindset and then just run with it, spouting your ignorant diatribes about whatever you were already mad about.

This is a non-story, save the total crassness of the 'Senator.'

If you are offended that a man, who is testifying in an official government capacity, would much rather say it in his native tongue and let a professional translate, then you were just looking for something to be offended at.

Look, obviously even the orginal poster of this article either missed or obfuscated the real issue: xenophobia.

That senator was an ass, the guy was taking his testimony seriously.

I speak pretty good Navajo, but, if I had to testify in front of Navajo Elders in any type of official capacity, I'd let the translator do it, so the chances are lessened significantly that there will be a miscommunication.

Anything different or unlike you and you grab your pitchfork.

At least now, the angry mob is only a cyber nuisance.

Ironically, some of the same people who complain about how terrible our American culture is are the people shouting that everyone should assimilate into it.

Perhaps it is time the other cultures around here start doing some melting too.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hey, let's just let the snips do things like this while we are at it. . .

www.ringospictures.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Oh really, take a chill pill. This is a free country and regardless of whether english is the most spoken language in this country, that guy has every right to speak spanish or whatever the hell he wants. Maybe his inability (or unwillingness) to speak spanish will cause a great inconvenient to him and others around him, but it is he's freedom, english isn't an official language in the United states, as far as I can see it, speak whatever you want.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

The gentleman in the video does speak English. He was on a local talk radio show this morning (KLBJ 590 AM).

IMO his English was very poor having been in this country since 1988 and I think the DJ's were very respectful to him during the interview.

What I took away from the interview was he decided to speak Spanish to exercise his first amendment rights (I don't get that part) and to show his pride towards his Mexican heritage. I am left wondering why he doesn't show pride for his American heritage. If he has been here since 1988 America is now part of his heritage.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
He knows English but is more comfortable speaking his "First language". The Senator is correct in his questioning. It is the liberal, politically correct coddling that is crumbling the foundation of this country,

Ah yes, blame the liberals for allowing these people to speak in whatever language they want. I'm sure you'll support legislation to obligate people to speak a certain langauge in certain places, yep, REAL liberty coming from people like you again.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

31 States have made english their official language so far.

You said: "It isn't that I am prejudiced or biased against Mexicans, it is just that I am biased toward illegal immigration, as well as biased against natural born citizens having to learn Spanish for a minimum wage job." BINGO! With millions of un-employed citizens, it is made even more difficult for them. No American citizen should be forced to speak a foreign language in thier own country in order to provide for their families. Not unless maybe you're in the medical field and it's a matter of life or death or in business transactions or something.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

I woman I spoke who spoke on a local radio show here was upset that the translator was not fluent enough in Spanish to translate properly what was being said.

His words were mistranslated so there was a mis-communication. I doubt anyone would grab pitchforks either way though.

And the culture in this instance being complained about is illegal immigration, which people are trying to change both ways.
edit on 17-6-2011 by sdocpublishing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join