It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HisMajesty

whatever all the romance languages borrow from latin and roman numerals and letters.

the all have a common ancestry big deal i quote a coin from the us as in a quarter didnt quote a peso

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Lets be honest here English is this world's language. More people the world over know English as either a first or second language than any other langauge to ever exist. America was built on the English (and in some part Spanish) language, but thats not even an argument worth bringing up. The fact is, as Ive already stated, English is the default language and when you're involved in a business transaction or political argument theres absolutely no excuse not to use English.

Like it or not we are moving towards a 'one world' borderless system. It is going to happen and needs to happen for humanity to advance as a species. There is absolutely no valid argument for tribal warfare. This one world system needs its own language and that too will happen. English will be that language. The problem we should be discussing is not how to avoid this, but how to make sure its not put into place by tyrants that would hold us back.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

the man in the video says that he knows english. if someone used ASL because they were deaf i get it.

but its more like saying, i know sign language AND i speak english, but im gonna talk to you in sign language just for the sake of it

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rumor21

You will tank a long time to learn portuguese because its that difficult but writing in portuguese in correct form... that is nightmare

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

here are some words that are the same in english and spanish.

abdomen
actor
animal
auto
base
canal
chocolate
color
conductor
data
director
doctor
error
gratis ( is this an english word?)
hospital
hotel
idea
ideal
invisible
local
media
monitor
motel
piano
posible
principal
similar
social

see were learning spanish already.
Now that wasnt so hard was it?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

dont patronize me

i dont care.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
For the same reason that they have a Presidential debate in Spanish.

it's assinine. The only official language of the USA is ENGLISH, and you have to provide a working knowledge of English to become a citizen, which is a requirement to vote.

No need for Spanish, ever.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by HisMajesty
reply to post by Night Star

why when i could just hire a translator, why not learn another language. forcing? alittle exaterating, whos putting the gun to your head? call 911.

telling people to leave the country yeah right. Your gonna use violence right because thats all you like to do when things dont go the way you want.
The world is evolving well soon be speaking spanglish.

Too angry, to demanding. whatever act like God all you want your just another person like me.

Dont worry we can still be fwiends.
edit on 17-6-2011 by HisMajesty because: (no reason given)

I say 'forced', because of the many jobs all across the USA that require you to speak spanish. Sure you don't have to, but if you don't then you don't get hired. I feel the language is being forced upon us. 8 long years listening to a foreign language almost every day when I never left the country. That did a number on me! I had always worked with foreigners before and they all spoke english, we all got along and had a great time learning about each others cultures. It was wonderful, even some spanish speaking folks, but that last job...they expected all of us no matter what your first language was or second, to learn spanish.

I don't mean to come off as such a tiger but I get so frustrated and upset. I can clearly see where english unites us and I don't see anything wrong with that.

I would never use violence unless my life was being threatened. This isn't just about me, I have a lot of company in wanting laws enforced against illegals, in wanting to preserve my language. Me God?
We are all human beings here even my spanish speaking friends. Yes I do have some believe it or not. They know my stand on these issues.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

exactly.

the day we elect a president that only speaks spanish is the day i will be ok with this.

im not trying to sound racist in any way, my fathers side of the family came from spain and he speaks fluent spanish. he even taught me some as a child, but we are american and we speak english in america.
edit on 6/17/2011 by xxblackoctoberxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Many people fail to take note, he CAN speak English, but he is not very fluent, he can communicate in English but he feels an interpreter can make his points more clear. Everyone has been in court, and the language they often use in court is usually tough for even an English speaking layman. I speak both English and Spanish, I speak English better than I speak Spanish. I can communicate and get by in Mexico, but sometimes for specific situations I ask someone to interpret certain things because many words are similar and can be used in different context to mean something completely different.

And for the people talking about assimilation, well, how many of you know how to speak in a Native American language? Just asking.

ETA: To be fair, I got into an argument in Mexico with someone, because he said it was insulting for me to speak in English with my brother. I told him he has no right to make me speak Spanish if I am not addressing him, and I told him about the issues regarding language in the US, and after all, I marched in 2 of the gatherings in Chicago for Immigrant rights (the parades were huge, and it was full of people from all over the world) I mentioned that, yet he was still angry, then two girls jumped in to defend my argument. In reality, what I am trying to say, is, it doesn't bother me if someone can not speak a certain language, and if they need to get a point across then that is why there are interpreters.
edit on 17-6-2011 by Majestic Lumen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
you guys do know america has no official language right?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rumor21

Born and raised in the united states and live in a area where it's mostly portuguese, was denied a job because i didn't know portuguese.

A perfect example of what I've been trying to say. As an American citizen, you shouldn't have to speak a foreign language in your own country in order to get hired somewhere and provide for your family. THIS is a huge problem.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

there doesnt have to be.

English is the de facto national language of the United States, with 82% of the population claiming it as a mother tongue, and some 96% claiming to speak it "well" or "very well".

why come here and want to just be able to communicate with a small percentage of people.

people speak more than just one language in other countries, whether official or not but im not going to move to france and learn dutch just because there might be some people that speak it there. i will speak what i know almost everyone else will understand

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dinogur
you guys do know america has no official language right?

Which is why 31 States have enacted it as their official language and bills are coming up that want english as the official language on the federal level.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago.
I was getting on the bus.
And this lady started speaking spanish to me and i had no idea what she was saying.
Eventually i figured out she wanted me to put her bus card into the slot.
She had 4 kids...
WOW

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic Lumen

this is what i tried to explain on my first post. Imagine some big time gangsta from the ghetto of ghettos speaking like that at court: "yeah yeah you know we be poppin are shizzle right here mr. seneta" is that ok for court just sayin

this would surely be more shameful than a proper spanish speaker with his translator. DO any of you agree? c'mon just agree already then we can all be friends

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Maybe the lazy snip knows English, but chooses to speak Spanish. You know because it is a free country and there are lots of non englsh speakers in Texas?

More from the story that the OP failed to share with us:

"Through his interpreter, Aguirre said Spanish is his “first language and since it is his first time giving testimony he would rather do it in Spanish.”

“It is insulting to us,” Sen. Harris fired back. “It is very insulting. And if he knows English, he needs to be speaking in English.”

No Sen. Harris, here is what SHOULD be insulting and IS insulting to a REAL American: that you have such little respect for a concept in our constitution called Freedom of Speech. That you choose to represent your constituents through bleating ignorance at a man exercising his rights under said constitution.

The insult is that an elected politician thinks it is ok to Bully someone like this. The insult that Sen. Harris thinks he can pick and choose which parts of the constitution he wants others to have access to.

Damn right this is insulting. And it disgusts but does not surprise me.

edit on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:51:59 -0500 by hotbakedtater because: added facts OP failed to list

I agree. I'd like everyone to learn English as much as possible, but then again, which part of our Constitution forbids people from speaking another language within our territory?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

well...maybe...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I dont know about this. do you really want english to be the official language in the USA? I mean would totally go for japanese its alot funner.

wouldnt you prefer another language like Latin? romantic words of thunder.......i have no idea what that means

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
my family came to this country from europe, before that, they came from various countries in europe. my dad alone said in the house they spoke hungarian, german, and flemish. when they came to america they were told 3 things.

1.work hard
2.embrace education
3.SPEAK ENGLISH

my grandparents, father, and uncles NEVER uttered a foreign word in public, infact, grandparents aside, none of them have a euro accent.

people that continue to BS thier way around the fact that america is an english speaking country are just instigating more divisivness and anti-nationalism. being pansy-assed, white-guilt-ridden, liberals for the goddamned sake of it, and it pains me to say that cause I have liberal views.

a family of mexicans bought the condo above me last year, both parents are citizens and speak full english. but they are teaching thier young daughter only spanish. now sure, she might pick up english when in school, but I find this move to be blatant anti-american.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join