It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

whats more insulting is the people in this thread defending the dude.

second thinks its an insult to our host country as well

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
Wow. I wont even go on vacation to a country where I do not speak the language, just because I don't want to be "that guy" that expects everyone else to bend over backwards for the English speaker.

To spend 23 years in a country and not even show the respect of learning the language? To quote the Senator.. "It is insulting".

Here's a tip: READ THE ARTICLE!!! He speaks english. But he feels more comfortable speaking to an official assembly in spanish that is his right.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Adyta

whats more insulting is the people in this thread defending the dude.

second thinks its an insult to our host country as well

Yes, so insulting to exercise your legal right to use whatever damn language you please.

ATS sure is full of xenophobes.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

yeah and that dude is a bigot and a racist and a xenophobe for not speaking english'

see how that works?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

You appear to be sworn to uphold the constitution, what with your eagle globe and anchor. You might be targeted in my unit for a bit of a blanket party.

The constitution doesn't say speak English.

keep your childish threats to yourself

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by belsoember

shutup, this ain't europe.
and besides here in america we already do speak two languages, english and fekete.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I disagree. This is an Enlish speaking country. I don't think we are 'afraid' of our language getting lost. It won't. It's simply a matter of respect for our English speaking country and if you are going to be a representative of any sort, learning the language. The English language is spoken worldwide by diplomats. That must say something for this language that you are so quick to dismiss.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

constitution doesnt say spanish either.

actually if you cant read english how the hell do they know whats it says

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

no jam has served his country he has more of a right to say his mind that most of us

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This is directly from the california state constitution. Basically just says english is cali's official language and they cannot make laws that interfere with that and you can sue california for not enforcing english as the official language.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 3 STATE OF CALIFORNIA
SEC. 6.
(a) Purpose. English is the common language of the people of the United States of America and the State of California. This section is intended to preserve, protect and strengthen the English language, and not to supersede any of the rights guaranteed to the people by this Constitution. (b) English as the Official Language of California. English is the official language of the State of California. (c) Enforcement. The Legislature shall enforce this section by appropriate legislation. The Legislature and officials of the State of California shall take all steps necessary to insure that the role of English as the common language of the State of California is preserved and enhanced. The Legislature shall make no law which diminishes or ignores the role of English as the common language of the State of California. (d) Personal Right of Action and Jurisdiction of Courts. Any person who is a resident of or doing business in the State of California shall have standing to sue the State of California to enforce this section, and the Courts of record of the State of California shall have jurisdiction to hear cases brought to enforce this section. The Legislature may provide reasonable and appropriate limitations on the time and manner of suits brought under this section.

i did a quick search and found nothing like that for texas

any-who... that mexican in the video did nothing but hurt his case by speaking spanish. You've been here 23 years and dont speak it, so why would new imigrants????

english should be on the citizenship test, end of story.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by blujasper

I disagree. This is an Enlish speaking country. I don't think we are 'afraid' of our language getting lost. It won't. It's simply a matter of respect for our English speaking country and if you are going to be a representative of any sort, learning the language. The English language is spoken worldwide by diplomats. That must say something for this language that you are so quick to dismiss.

I didn't 'dismiss' the English language. I said it is not the 'official' language, as there is none.

There was no sleight here. Just political grandstanding from a politicians pandering to zealots, xenophobes, bigots and varied racists.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Thanks neo,

The thing is that the legislature has no law against speaking English. Despite what many think, I have always been an advocate that all government business should be in English but am against an English only law.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

yeah and that dude is a bigot and a racist and a xenophobe for not speaking english'

see how that works?

Yes, I see how that works. You completely separate a word from its actual definition to try and reverse and argument.

This man ha every right to speak Spanish. If you want to change the law, feel free. But until then, respect the law as it stands. Why do you hate America?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I know he "speaks" English, but the fact that he's been here 23 years and STILL isn't comfortable going on record in English, in my opinion, means he doesn't speak English.

The fact he speaks English, yet still requested a translator to be provided for him (on the tax payers dollar) is even MORE insulting than if he simply didn't know a word of English.

If I spoke Italian, I wouldn't go to Italy and speak nothing but English and demand McDonalds supply me with a translator, even though I didn't need one... it's madness.

Hell, speak whatever language you please... on your own time. Speak Spanish when talking with your family, friends, etc... but when you're going ON RECORD like this, speak the language of the land. When Amanda Knox was on trial for murder in Italy, she spoke in Italian at her trial, even though English was her primary language. A murderer has more respect than an immigrant.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
A country always has a language that becomes a primary part of culture. I think choosing to testify in his first language to make sure he can express himself more effectively is responsible. I also think it is appropriate and respectful to learn the language of the majority of the citizens in the country you choose to reside. I also think road signs need not be made in any other language than that primary language.
Good thread.
s+f

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure every time an empire falls the idiots at the bottom of the pyramid get convinced it's 'immigrants' who stole their prosperity.

In Germany circa 1940 it was the jews. In the USA circa 2011 its the mexicans.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
English is the majority language in this country. It's the native tongue of the vast majority of the inhabitants. It just seems to me that it's basic common sense to at least try to learn a little bit.

And that's the thing about it. You know, I don't expect people to speak it like a native, but at least have the capacity to communicate on the level of a small child. Disjointed sentences, small phrases, and lots of gesturing are fine for me. I'm willing to learn some Spanish, but, Jesus Christ, is it so much to ask that these people meet me half way?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join