It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Some still do. Its rare, but its not gone. I think its important to preserve ancient languages like that, but thats another topic.
I'm just trying to say that there is a difference between moving to another country where your language has never existed, (like an American moving to India or something), and another country taking over another's land and forcing them to speak their own language. You have to kind of come to an understanding that these people were here first and work with that. IMHO
Hope that makes sense.

edit on 17-6-2011 by kohaku because: forgot to finish sentence

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by vschnz

Originally posted by gremlin2011
theres a saying ' when in rome, do as the romans do ' im in the uk and we got the same trouble with every nationality of the EU flooding our tiny island!!

wana live here then learn our language simple as that!!

So is Europe having the same problem with thousand of Brits flooding Spain, France, Switzerland, etc.. and not willing to learn Spanish, French etc.. sending their kids to an english school. Living in close knit British community. Going to a British own pub...

Do Brits claim welfare benefits, get free homes and medical treatment, from the taxpaying citizens of these host countries?

Have a guess.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
31 States have enacted English as the primary language.
us-english.org...

There are also bills coming up that want English as the primary language for all of the USA.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
"English Language Unity Act Introduced in the 112th Congress
Similar legislation in 110th, 111th Congresses had more than 135 co-sponsors."

March 11, 2011
"Washington, D.C.—Lawmakers from across the country came together today to introduce legislation that would make English the official language of the United States. The effort, lead by Rep. Steve King and sixty other members of the U.S. House of Representatives, brings H.R. 997 for consideration by Congress. As written, the bill would reduce government multilingualism and focus government agencies on promoting English acquisition. Numerous polls consistently prove that more than four-fifths of Americans support making English the official language. The bill is expected to enjoy the most congressional support in nearly a decade."
www.usenglish.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Please gently remove your head from your ass. If you would. Seriously, it is an american court room. What is the language of America? ... ENGLISH! good job! If your in a governmental building, you speak english. You talk to an american judge in an american courtroom? SPEAK ENGLISH. Please, it's not that hard. Thank you.
edit on 17-6-2011 by leemann123 because: failed

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It is amazing what gets people so worked up these days. If English was not my native language, I would probably like someone to translate for me too so that there was no confusion as to what I was saying. This would be especially important when doing something as important as speaking in a court of law. At the same time, seeing as how this WAS immigration related, using an interpreter did NOT win this guy any friends.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I agree totally. My grandparents were part of the large influx of immigrants that came from Europe in the late 1800's. Although they didn't speak English clearly, they understood and could speak enough to get by. All their children spoke both English and Italian. (Which I see as a great benefit knowing two languages).

None of the products on shelves were printed in different languages such as Italian, Polish or German. They had to learn English on their own and from their own kids. Now that we have this large influx of Spanish speaking Americans, almost everything you buy is printed in Spanish and English!

The cost to manufacturers have to be enormous! Before when you bought a product the assembly instructions would only be a few pages, now you get a set of instructions that are double that size!

It's exactly what's happening in our school's and universities. We are lowering the bar because too many students are too lazy to take the time to study and read! The U.S. is doing the same thing by allowing manufacturers to cater to the influx of Spanish speaking immigrants.

They should be expected to learn English during the time they legally work to become a U.S. citizen. Congress needs to pass a bill that recognizes English as the official language of the United States.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
At one time we didn't have to dial 1 for english, 2 for spanish. There were no signs in stores and everywhere else in spanish. We were not required to be bilingual and speak spanish in order to get hired somewhere. We have always been a melting pot of cultures and all cultures learned and spoke english. It is only the spanish speaking population that demand that we speak 'their' language. With hundreds of languages from our immigrants, why is it only the spanish speakers who demand we change our Country to cater to them?

English is the one language that ties us all together.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Press "1" for English.

Thank you and have a Buenos Dias

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants
It is amazing what gets people so worked up these days. If English was not my native language, I would probably like someone to translate for me too so that there was no confusion as to what I was saying. This would be especially important when doing something as important as speaking in a court of law. At the same time, seeing as how this WAS immigration related, using an interpreter did NOT win this guy any friends.

I worked for 8 years with illegal immigrants who spoke spanish. Every day I was made to feel as though I left my Country. Day after day, month after month, year after year. It drove me insane being forced to listen to that. I didn't leave my Country! They left theirs! They knew, understood and spoke english but usually refused to.

All across the USA, many jobs require you to speak 'their' language. 'Their language is everywhere. No other culture has been catered to or changed America the way that the spanish speaking population has. So yeah, don't be amazed that so many of us get worked up as you say.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by leemann123
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Please gently remove your head from your ass. If you would. Seriously, it is an american court room. What is the language of America? ... ENGLISH! good job! If your in a governmental building, you speak english. You talk to an american judge in an american courtroom? SPEAK ENGLISH. Please, it's not that hard. Thank you.
edit on 17-6-2011 by leemann123 because: failed

Good question. What is the language of America? I guess you mean The United States of America?

Well, have a look here:

Languages of the United States

Languages of North America

There seem to be a lot of people threatened by this. I like to call it 'soft xenophobia' or 'xenophobia lite'.

I thought you guys won a war against Britain, yet you still speak their language. I wonder how it makes you feel, speaking the language of the losers.

edit on 17-6-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
Impose? Your precious UK is famous for imposing their social-engineering policies on the population in the form of ridiculous hate "crime" laws, not the US. Orwell would be proud.

Nonsense. The UK is one of the world's leaders when it comes to forward thinking social policies. Hate crime legislation is just one of a number of measures which contributes towards our socially advanced status.

While I don't agree with increasing the severity of a crime if the motive for the offence is deemed to be ''hate'', I fully support the legal prohibition of inciteful hate speech which is intended to disrupt and spoil an otherwise civilised society.

It is the duty of my country to reasonably protect the minority from the potentially harmful onslaught of the majority, and hate crime laws help to preserve this important aspect of our advanced society.

By the way, George Orwell's 1984 is a work of fiction.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by capod2t
Press "1" for English.

Thank you and have a Buenos Dias

They should have to pay extra for the spanish option.

You reminded me of this song!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I've got to say something...

Where in the Constitution does it say, "you must speak English"?

When did these residents of the United States of America become Englishmen?

The cultural diversity is what makes this country great.

The United States of America is located in the Western hemisphere. It is not located in England. The indigenous people of North and South America have been raped and conquered by European countries - this is a fact. They were forced to learn Spanish and English with swords and guns.

Sure, he has lived within the borders of the USA since 1988. However, you people must realize that most of the populace South-West are 'Mestizos' who (by record) were first conquered by Spanish-speaking people.

Some people fail to realize that most Spanish-speaking people didn't migrate over here to the USA. THEY HAVE BEEN HERE.

Occupations never last. Insulting the indigenous population is not very wise. They just might be the real sleeping Giant.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

This is America and the official language is English, you can either join the team or GTFO. simple as that

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

31 States have enacted English as the primary language. There are bills coming up for English as the official language of the USA. At one time we didn't have to fight for it, it was the defacto language and everyone respected that.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

You need to put that cookie (biscuit )away, it is affecxting your judgement. Everyone knows the UK is almost a muslim nation. Are you suggesting this is a good thing? A progressive thing to aspire to? No thanks, keep your sharia law and your islamist extremist. We're happy with our rednecks, Mexicans and Lefty loons.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatiOpress
reply to post by Scoriada

This is America and the official language is English, you can either join the team or GTFO. simple as that

Sorry, but you are wrong. There is no official language in America. English is the predominant language, but it is far from official. In the North Carolina courts instructions are spoken before the names on the docket are called, they are first said in English, then Spanish.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by totalmetal

It is the official language in 31 States. Bills are coming up to have english as the official language of the USA. It was never an issue before, now we are made to fight for it. A shame really.

Do people actually read these threads? How many times do I have to repeat myself?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scoriada
Oh yes, and live under sharia law like the UK

Say wut ??!!

have your guns taken away

Why would we need guns ? We're not quivering, fearful cowards who live in a constant state of paranoia.

have our country watered down by your rampant immigrants flooding your tiny island

I'm an immigrant. My mother is an immigrant. Have we contributed towards ''watering down'' my country ? I think that I and my family have positively contributed towards the UK, just as most other immigrants do.

''Immigrant'' is not a dirty word, you know.

support worthless, inbred Royals that are good for nothing ??

The Royal Family bring in a lot of revenue from tourism. Besides, they just act as figurehead ''rulers''. If we became a republic, then the hypothetical figurehead president would fulfill exactly the same role as the Queen.

No thanks, we are still better off the your snobby Europe states.

No you're not.

You are hamstrung by your archaic and prohibitive Constitution.

European countries are advancing and modernising while you lot are still stuck in a time-warp - bowing down and worshiping an archaic piece of paper from the 18th century.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join