It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education budget in Texas just got a $4 billion cut... teachers to see pay reduced

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
meh

dictionary.reference.com...

Word Origin & History omg Internet chat abbreviation of oh my God , by 1994. (Earlier in computerese it meant Object Management Group , 1989, a consortium which helped pave the way for the modern Internet.)

Abbreviations & Acronyms OMG Object Management Group oh my God

Mod Note : Posting Work Written by Others
edit on 18-6-2011 by xpert11 because: Add external sources tags mod edit and note

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
meh

dictionary.reference.com...

Word Origin & History omg Internet chat abbreviation of oh my God , by 1994. (Earlier in computerese it meant Object Management Group , 1989, a consortium which helped pave the way for the modern Internet.)

Abbreviations & Acronyms OMG Object Management Group oh my God

Meh, must be nice to avoid facts.

OMG A WORD!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Now here we see that they are cutting the Educational budgets to different school districts across the country, yet no one can answer one fundamental question: Why do the different school districts need all of that money? They get money from the federal level, and money from the state, and from the county and from the city. How much money does the education of our children really take? What exactly is required to teach a child the basics, reading, writing and math? Do they really need to give all high school students lap top computers? What ever happened to books, chalk, paper, pen and pencils? What ever happened to the basics that all students would be required to learn? Has education gone so far forward to the point where it can no longer keep up with the costs of such and districts fail to take into accounting of such? And ultimately what is the role of the Unions in all of this? After all were the Unions and Teachers to give a little only to turn around and not want to compromise to force the lawmakers to take these kinds of tough choices.
The country is in a bad way on the economic way and ultimately there has to be cuts across the board. Too many say don’t cut my resources, yet few are willing to make those sacrifices in times of trouble. Things need to change and our mindset needs to change.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Teachers in public schools could use a small bump in pay nation wide, simply because their positions are extremely important. However I do not think its money which is the whole problem. I think the education of teachers in this country is absurd (for the most part). I have heard stories where students knew more about the subject than the teacher, or teachers who are simply lazy and read straight out of a text book instead of giving children personal attention.

In my high school there were two geometry teachers. The first one (who taught my class for only a couple weeks) read out of a book, wrote something on the chalk board for us to copy, and then we did problems while he sat down and did god knows what at his desk not really paying close attention to us.

But my second teacher (who I had for the rest of the year) was completely different. She barely ever read out of the text book, she explained exactly what she was writing on the chalk board and why, and she barely ever sat at her desk, she walked around to each and every student and asked them questions and gave them help.

I am terrible at math, now and then. But that geometry class was the only one I ever really "got" because of her help. IMO it is very important that teachers are close with their students.

I also believe one of the problems is what we "force" teach our children. I was reading an article a while back (not sure of the source) which said that the study of algebra by children increased their IQ and problem solving skills. Sounds great right. However after further study, I found that many researches completely disagree with above study. They were saying that only children who quickly grasp, understand and enjoy algebra will reap the benefits stated above. But children who have a very hard time understanding it and hate doing the work will actually receive negative effects and will quickly forget any information that they learned.

I propose a system where our children's basic education is taken care of from the ages of 6 to 14 years old (i.e. basic math, English, history, sciences, etc). Once a child reaches high school age there would be more freedom of choice for classes with only a few mandatory (i.e. required foreign language, 1 advanced math course, 1 advanced science course). From there once a child reaches the age of 16 there curriculum is completely chosen by that individual (only thing that will be mandatory is the amount of classes that must be taken), this would give the opportunity for that child to experience personal responsibility and personal choice. It would also allow them to prepare for their desired career path earlier, and also allowing them to more quickly pass through a college and or tech school and enter their selected field at least 2 years earlier than an todays education system. This would also improve the economy since we will have a better educated and younger workforce.

All in all any cuts (accept greedy fat cats salary's) to the education system will produce a negative effect on students, teachers and society. I am also tired (like Lexicon) of the far rights position on education. Bush destroyed education in this country (even more than it already was). To me the right has this view that the world should be like the 1950's, that will never happen again you know why...the 50's were over 60 years ago and the world evolves, ideas evolve, our education system (like many other things) need to go forward not backwards. So go cuddle with your portrait of Ronald "the puppet" Reagen and accept that the views which you hold are fascist.

Peace, Love, Compassion, and Tolerance to all dreaming lovers out there

edit on 17-6-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LexiconRiot

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Indeed, money is not the issue.

How many trillions have we thrown at the public school systems in America over the years, and half or more graduate dumb as a bag of hammers. Can't point to say, Peru on a map. Can't spell correctly. Think OMG is a real word. Lag far behind compared to other nations in math/sciences. Can't tell you who James Madison or Einstein was.

When American students catch up with students from other advanced nations, then I would say the teachers deserve a raise......

First off OMG is a word... Sad right? I know.

Secondly, none of you arguments equate to why they should CUT funding. There is not an argument for raises here. Money is an issue for anyone who understand how schools work here in the states. I recently was taking courses in Journalism where in which we actually produced a paper. In the two years I was at the school the funding for the paper was cut from $11,000 to $3,000. The only reason we were still able to go to print was that the professor used her own money to keep it running. The following year there was no paper. This is the college level but still a public school. The same thing is happening to classes all over the country! Cutting budgets and if the teachers wish to engage students with projects and the like they are either right out of the teachers pockets or paid by a community fundraiser. This is PATHETIC! Schools need to be properly funded. My high school cut the Multimedia program recently. This program allowed me to parlay a scholarship and a good education. These programs prepare student for college and are necessary though I know some of you will disagree. I started learning the skills in high school and graduated top of my class because of it. Education is the keystone to a successful economy. If it means a raise in my property tax them I am all for it. The future of this country depends on us to pay it forward.
edit on 17-6-2011 by LexiconRiot because: (no reason given)

I don't know about your college and professors. If your tuition isn't covering your college newspaper, that's something that has to be taken up with the administrators. God knows they charge enough these days.

Regarding public schools, I don't know why there is so much hatred from public school teachers towards vouchers for poor inner city kids to get out of the slum schools and go to private schools. I would like to introduce one of those public school teachers, to one of the parents of these inner city kids, and tell them why they oppose getting their kids out of these cesspool schools. I mean really, who could actually oppose that? If my tax dollars are going towards getting some of these bright kids out of the slum schools and into a private school, I am all for it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

So instead of cutting foreign aid and subsidies to big business we cut school budgets and attack teachers? You logic needs to change along with a lot of other things. We cut from to poor to keep the rich happy. It is sickening! Stop supplying weapons to Israel, stop all overseas theaters of war, cut the defense budget, cut corporate welfare. Time for change, this change needs to be personal accountability of the top 1% and industry. Stop the Bush tax cuts and make sure our children are educated properly!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

What do you think would happen to all those pretty 'non-cesspool' schools with the influx of students from poor backgrounds? This idea would only ensure those in private schools also had poor educations due to the same issue inner city schools have. 30+ students to 1 teacher... this voucher idea doesn't fix anything.

As for the other issue regarding my school it was because of cuts from the state budget that caused the cuts to the media department. Tuition is very expensive but that isn't enough to pay for everything. Especially since there was a increase in tuition last year... Education is a must to fund.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LexiconRiot

yeah the facts

like foeing me over a disagreement of the acronym omg .

its not a word.

its a combination of 3 words.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

yeah the facts

like foeing me over a disagreement of the acronym omg .

its not a word.

its a combination of 3 words.

I "foed" and "unfoed" due to an accident. Didn't mean to foe you. Either way doesn't matter or change the fact that OMG is listed as a word in the Oxford English Dictionary. I provided a link. You choose to ignore it and dodge fact. Nothing new for you. It is like how you dodge the fact that you attack "morons" yet fail at English yourself.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Yet the question still goes unanswered, how much money does the school districts require and what all is required for teaching the children? Last time I checked what was required is the following: Blackboard, chalk, teacher, books, pencil, pen, paper and students. Do you really need to give a large number of laptops to students to use? What ever happened with good old fashion books? Costs have to be cut and trimmed down, and there can not be a better means to do such than going a step back to the basics in education. Billions of dollars pour into the school system and yet the results are poor at best. Geography, math, and history are suffering, and why is that? Why is it that teachers are the first to scream if they mention cuts, yet every one suffers if they have to cut the cops or the fire department.
Facts are we can not longer sustain our system, and changes have to be made. There has to be a means to an end, and perhaps they need to take a step back and compromise, rather than refuse to.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Education isnt a big priority down in RED-Republican-Conservative Texas land.

Its funny how Texas always seems to enjoy cutting the budget in areas that benefit the ordinary everyday folk only to give more to big-business over and over and over, time after time, after time...

Texas and their fanatical right-wing extremist rulers love big-business and the wealthy and just hate the middleclass folk.

If that Jesus guy DID exist, he would DESPISE our wonderful right-winger conservative middleclass murdering scum.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Well I do not run a school so I don't know what it takes as a budget goes. Your idea is ok except we would be doing a disservice to the children to not work with our current tech. Regressing isn't really an option is it? I don't know what you feel is ok to compromise on but education is not something I do.

I am not discussing teachers salaries. This isn't about teacher pay. It is about school budgets for pencils paper books and yes even laptops. I don't think I, not being a teacher, am qualified to teach my daughter skills I don't have. I know IT but knowing Linux will not advance her dealing with the general population.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

But if the economy is down, there has to be choices. And in this case, every student does not need a lap top, as so many schools are giving to their students. computers should be done if it is a course, but for students to do homework on it, or the entire student body, that is an expense that most schools can not afford.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I can agree to that. For select courses. We can not sacrifice the future for today though otherwise today will happen again tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Education isnt a big priority down in RED-Republican-Conservative Texas land.

Its funny how Texas always seems to enjoy cutting the budget in areas that benefit the ordinary everyday folk only to give more to big-business over and over and over, time after time, after time...

Texas and their fanatical right-wing extremist rulers love big-business and the wealthy and just hate the middleclass folk.

If that Jesus guy DID exist, he would DESPISE our wonderful right-winger conservative middleclass murdering scum.

Oh yippy, here comes the left/right mudslinging

Do you even live in Texas, or have school aged children? Or do you just like throwing out the political card?

And yes, this is a serious question.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
What the schools should do is expel all illegal immigrants. Just think of the savings then. Additionally, they should cut unnecessary classes and "services". Go back to teaching only the basics. Reading is fundamental, but way to many students cannot read and are functionally illiterate. Mathematics is key to really good jobs, ie medicine, engineering, and many trades require a good grasp of math. Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Drop all of the leftist social indoctrination and conditioning classes. Just those changes alone would likely save millions each school year.

People like you - yes, you personally - are a primary reason for the failure of education in America. This attitude you express is what makes kids functionally retarded. Oh, I'm sure your wriggly little larvae have potential in them - most people do - but you and your compatriots who honestly, truly think that math problems and grammar lessons are the only thing a child will ever need to know, are, well, spreading your ignorance like a dock hooker spreads the clap.

What, exactly, is your goal in education? It seems to be churning out a constant stream of ignorant menial laborers (so I have to wonder why you want to kick out the immigrants - do you just not want your own children to have to sit next to a kid named Jose while learning to be stupid peons for hire?)

A school is not a business. its job is not to "cut expenses," its job is to educate the children (and sometimes adults) of its community. And if you honestly think that all you will ever need to know is how to add and write your name, then, well, it's pretty obvious that you forced your own failure in school.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I too would like to know how much is really needed to educate our kids. Considering I have to buy everything.. Bought 6 folders last year. My kinder student used 2. I refused to buy baby wipes because I had 2 babies at home in diapers and I use cloth wipes mostley. had to buy sanitizer, clorox wipes, ziploc bags, yada yada. And double the school supplies?

I fully expect next years list to include 6 rolls of tp for boys or 20 for girls

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig

Do you really need to give a large number of laptops to students to use? What ever happened with good old fashion books?

Can you imagine what ATS would be like if people here were unable to reference information on the internet, and instead had to rely 100% on books? Same issue here. And thing is, the "each student gets a laptop" isn't that big a deal; computer companies cut deals with school districts to supply old and discontinued models with no extra features at a steep discount. These computers are then used year after year, as they are property of the school and not the students.

Further... the state of textbooks in Texas is apalling. Ypu see these people on this thread whining anf moaning about "indoctrination?" Well, the Texas textbook approval board thinks indoctrination is just fine - so long as students are being indoctrinated to be nationalist fundamentalist Christians. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if sume enterprising publisher put a tear-out voter registration form with "Republican" already checked... and got approved.

Costs have to be cut and trimmed down, and there can not be a better means to do such than going a step back to the basics in education.

The basics of education is educating; not pounding test answers into skulls and cutting every budget item except the football team (ever seen sports cut from these schools? Ever? No, they always get bigger)

Billions of dollars pour into the school system and yet the results are poor at best.

Because the most money goes to the best schools, while the poorest (and worst) schools are still counted in the averaging. Any idiot can see how that works out. There's also sizable overhead - some schools have as many "supervisors," "managers" "assistants" and such as they have actual teachers and actual administrators.

And as I mentioned, most of those billions are thrown at the wrong kind of teaching. There's no money to pay for an improved syllabus, current textbooks, teacher overtime, or after-school tutors; all that money has to go to test preparation, football, and "Assistant administrative sub-directors of faculty, grades 9-10"

Geography, math, and history are suffering, and why is that?

Geography suffers because budget mutilators honestly believe children have no need to learn about any country other than the USA. History suffers because budget mutilators don't think children need to actually think about History; Columbus -> Pilgrims -> George Washington -> Abe Lincoln - World War II - > Ronald Reagan are all that matters, and they should be taught as genesis is taught in Sunday school, rather than with critical thought. These two subjects also do not appear on standardized testing. Math is suffering because, well, we've gotta cut SOMETHING, and the team has a shot at state this year, sooooo, bye-by, pre-algebra!

Why is it that teachers are the first to scream if they mention cuts, yet every one suffers if they have to cut the cops or the fire department.

This may amaze you but, like people who work in any field, teachers know what their field requires of them, and what they require financially. There's this perverse mentality in America that teachers are some sort of slave, that they should be yoked to public demand; they're portrayed as glorified nannies, but any person who treated a nanny like they want teachers to be treated would probably be arrested for abuse of an employee.

Basically there are MUCH better places to put cuts than education (ever seen a governor halve his salary, forgo his pension? no? Neither have I, and we never will) and always cutting education causes education to suffer greatly - thus kids - tomorrow's cops and firefighters - become inept morons. Thanks, mom and dad!

Facts are we can not longer sustain our system, and changes have to be made. There has to be a means to an end, and perhaps they need to take a step back and compromise, rather than refuse to.

Considering how much education has been savaged around this country for the last thirty years, I think educators have bent under financial pressure more than enough.

What you fail (or refuse) to realize is that this is not due to "budget crunches." it's a deliberate effort to kill public schooling so they can be sold off at an immense profit (that is, stolen from you, the tax payer, at a severe loss) to private corporations that have far less scrutiny under the law and no mandate to actually educate anyone.

Not only are you being had, but the con men are just letting you rob yourself.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

I actually went to a school where students were expected to bring their own hand soap and toilet paper. Why?

Because due to mid-90's budget cuts in the Mobile County public school system, this particular school couldn't reliably cover janitorial supplies.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I live in Texas and I think this is a good thing. The federal gov't. and state gov't have no business funding education. It is the responsibility of the parents. I went over my property taxes a few weeks ago and found that I paid over three thousand dollars to my local school district. I also send my son to private school which costs about five thousand a year, so basically I'm paying three thousand a year to send someone elses child to school. This is ridiculous. Every person needs to man up and take care of their own responsibilities. The system is broke. I'm thirty so assuming I stay in my house for the next 40 years and taxes won't go up (yeah right) that means I will pay 120,000 dollars to support other peoples' kids. Every parent should be taxed for their kids, not just the property owners that busted their butts in order to become successful. Stupid people feeling entitled, that's the US.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join