It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Education budget in Texas just got a $4 billion cut... teachers to see pay reduced

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Nice job Texas.

Cut the teachers pay but increase the administrators salary's, Healthy bonuses to the food service, maintenance, IT, contractors. Increase the administrators healthcare, pension plans at taxpayer expense.
And school board members handing out plush contracts to their friends. But dump on the teachers.

blog.chron.com... -close-friends-firms/

and superintendents of schools making over 300k plus a year.

www.kvia.com...
edit on 17-6-2011 by whaaa because: PT come back!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You know as much as I think Ron Paul has said a lot of great things. (though I don't agree with them all) I do find it humorous this is coming out of his district. Amazing isn't it?

Teachers = bad
Admin = good...

Stupid = Stupid.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by LexiconRiot

and dude you dont even know what the word neocon means not one person who has ever called me that has ever gotten it right yet.
edit on 17-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

I find it funny that you can attack my knowledge and you call others "morons". Yet you are unable to form full sentences or use proper grammar and punctuation in most cases. You post in the least concise manner of any poster I have debated with and you, on your highest of horses, call down the education of others. When I called you out on this before you attempted to take a moral high ground and stop discussions with me. Yet, here you are calling down on my education and that of the "morons" produced by the system.

When posting about intelligence once should hold themselves accountable. This is PROOF POSITIVE we need to keep schools well funded. We also need to encourage more critical thinking while we are at it, or so it seems.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Ugh... and education in Texas is already messed up enough as it is......

What else can I say? Ladies and Gentleman, should Rick Perry decide to run for POTUS.... Do not vote for him.....Just remember the last time you voted in a Texas governor...Now imagine it being ten times worse......

Yeah....

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LexiconRiot
reply to post by whaaa

You know as much as I think Ron Paul has said a lot of great things. (though I don't agree with them all) I do find it humorous this is coming out of his district. Amazing isn't it?

Teachers = bad
Admin = good...

Stupid = Stupid.

What an ignorant and retarted statement to make. You do relize that Ron Paul is a Congressman for the Federal Government and this issue is a STATE issue right???
edit on 17-6-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

The current EXTREME right view of the NeoCons honestly has me wanting 4 more years of Bush 2.0. That is how bad it is out there. GWB looks like a liberal compared to these subversive corporate shills.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Does this change who votes him into his seat in his district? If so then stars be darned, I had no idea that there were two sets of voters in his district.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

What an ignorant and retarted statement to make. You do relize that Ron Paul is a Congressman for the Federal Government and this issue is a STATE issue right???

Here's a thought....

Before calling someone "retarded" Learn how to spell it!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Here's a thought....

Before calling someone "retarded" Learn how to spell it!

Oh my! That IS rich!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Ejucatorn is hrd! Tearchers sux cuz me refuze 2 lrn. Y do we pay em so lots? OMG lez cut they budget.

Gah, that was difficult to write. I wonder why so often "liberals" are the "dumb" ones? It seems to me 2 types of people are liberal: The downtrodden and the educated. At least this seems to ring true for the people I know who talk politics. Middle class NeoCons I know personally often seem less educated and more indoctrinated. They would prefer to be called "company men". Good people, call some friends. Doesn't change my personal experience though. I know of not one person that is well educated who agrees with cutting funding for education. (This is in my personal life experience though. Not a statement of infallible fact or an absolute for all.)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Who can prove private schools do better?

I haven't seen it. Ditto homeschooling, as ignorant parents can't really teach much of anything besides more ignorance. Show me a home-schooled kid and I'll show you an undereducated, bigoted, and narrow-minded individual 4 times out of five.

Most private schools are best at inculcating a bloated sense of superiority, not superior education. As a college instructor, the private school/home schooled students were the ones I had to work hardest with to get up to speed. One young lady I failed for not doing her assignments had her mother call and demand, yes, DEMAND, an "A" grade because:

1. She always got one in private school.

2. She showed up regularly and didn't disrupt class (she also didn't participate), and that's all her private school instructors demanded of her.

3. She needed the grade to progress to the University level.

I informed the mother that those reasons were insufficient, and if she wanted an "A" she had to earn it through work and proof of actually comprehending the material. I offered makeup projects, but Mom took her complaint to the Dean, who chastised me for upsetting the "client" and her mother, suggesting that perhaps I was grading too hard and expecting too much, and asked me to remember that the college was a business that couldn't afford to displease the customers.

I still flunked her.

I've found that most people who have contempt for teachers were pretty bad students who were lazy and uninterested in school. Blaming teachers is far easier than admitting you sucked in school because you didn't apply yourself and viewed the classroom experience as something you endured between flirting, gossiping, and schmoozing for a better clique to hang out with.

I've heard few complaints about teachers from serious students who understood that education is a two-way street that absolutely requires their active participation and attention.

Texas has always had pretty low standards, and is more than usually corrupt, so a lot of the money spent on "education" actually went into non-educational pork contracts via the buddy system. I know: I grew up there a lot and went to several different schools. There was one really good school I went to for a while, but even that one spent far more on athletics than anything else: they even supported three seperate sets of cheerleaders. Football achievements got vastly more notice, praise and pride than any or all the academic achievements put together.
edit on 17-6-2011 by apacheman because: grammar

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Thank you for your point of view and not bending knee to the money. Instructors, such as yourself, are the only reason I am proud of my degree.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

This is not the end of the world. According to the article the cuts equate to $400 per student. If you look at Houston which spends roughly $10,000 on average to educate each student, this is not much of a cut.

Why is it that private schools can educate children at half the cost and provide a higher standard of education?

Look and see how many students that are in a private school then look and see how many students that are crammed into a public school. When you have fewer students teachers have more time to make sure students understand things in a public school this simply isn't possible.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
**DISCLAIMER** This post is meant for people who ACTUALLY LIVE IN TEXAS. I simply cannot worry about other States, since I live in Texas and have 3 school aged kids who attend TEXAS SCHOOLS.
I don't mean to sound snarky but I do not want to get into a left/right blah blah blah fight, or which State might be next fight.. Sorry, thinking locally here.. I shall let the infighting about other States be fought by everyone else**

Here is a novel thought..

Lets cut the admin fatcat paychecks right off the bat! You would be shocked and royally PO'd learning how much some actually make!

Next.. we all know there are a lot of bad teachers out there (as in any State), get them outta there as well!

After that, ditch the damn State standardized testing! Yes I know TASK is out and STAR is in.. (those who live in Texas know what I am talking about) Do you realize just how much time they actually spend on teaching the test that was dubbed "Unable to tweek the curriculm to" Well that lasted about 2 years..
This is just a money grabbing "test" and a bs one at that. Show me the exit exams (aka finals) impress me with those! I know if my kids can read or write and understand.. I can easily look online to see how they are progressing with other subjects.. I don't need to have my kids classroom time by catering to these types of test.. ACTUALLY TEACH THEM THE DAMN SUBJECTS!

Cut out the 5 to 7 different choices for hot lunch. Hell most of us rememberd having only one or two MAX choices for a school lunch. Do kindergardeners really need to choose between 5 entrees?? Eat it or don't!

Gang, do you actually remember when we went back to school in SEPTEMBER?! (yes young pups... once upon a time, we actually started school in September!) Why some schools start as early as the 2nd week of August is beyond me! Umm Hello IT IS HOTTER THAN HELL DURING AUGUST. Think of the collected savings if they pushed back the start date of school. I am pretty sure we can all wait to start summer break the first week of June.
How about Texas actually enforces the law they actually approved stating this, and not letting schools (public) "requesting" special permission to start early.

Thats all I can think of right now.. it is too flipping hot to think, and the kids and I are off to the Y for a swim.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Indeed, money is not the issue.

How many trillions have we thrown at the public school systems in America over the years, and half or more graduate dumb as a bag of hammers. Can't point to say, Peru on a map. Can't spell correctly. Think OMG is a real word. Lag far behind compared to other nations in math/sciences. Can't tell you who James Madison or Einstein was.

When American students catch up with students from other advanced nations, then I would say the teachers deserve a raise......

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The USA needs more vocational schools. High schools that teach trades, medicine, engineering, mechanics etc. I didn't start really learning until I went to a vocational high school in the 11th grade. I took a design/printing major. It was the best thing I ever could have done with my life. Creativity is the root of all society. Everything that was ever made by humans was designed.

Not everyone is the math wizz, poet, engineer, or artist. There needs to be diverse education where the students can pick what they want to do.

Vocational high schools have a higher attendance rate, gradation rate, and higher GPA's. They also need to stop treating schools like they are a prison. Students need to be given a level of respect.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Indeed, money is not the issue.

How many trillions have we thrown at the public school systems in America over the years, and half or more graduate dumb as a bag of hammers. Can't point to say, Peru on a map. Can't spell correctly. Think OMG is a real word. Lag far behind compared to other nations in math/sciences. Can't tell you who James Madison or Einstein was.

When American students catch up with students from other advanced nations, then I would say the teachers deserve a raise......

First off OMG is a word... Sad right? I know.

Secondly, none of you arguments equate to why they should CUT funding. There is not an argument for raises here. Money is an issue for anyone who understand how schools work here in the states. I recently was taking courses in Journalism where in which we actually produced a paper. In the two years I was at the school the funding for the paper was cut from $11,000 to $3,000. The only reason we were still able to go to print was that the professor used her own money to keep it running. The following year there was no paper. This is the college level but still a public school. The same thing is happening to classes all over the country! Cutting budgets and if the teachers wish to engage students with projects and the like they are either right out of the teachers pockets or paid by a community fundraiser. This is PATHETIC! Schools need to be properly funded. My high school cut the Multimedia program recently. This program allowed me to parlay a scholarship and a good education. These programs prepare student for college and are necessary though I know some of you will disagree. I started learning the skills in high school and graduated top of my class because of it. Education is the keystone to a successful economy. If it means a raise in my property tax them I am all for it. The future of this country depends on us to pay it forward.
edit on 17-6-2011 by LexiconRiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LexiconRiot

Lexicon, just how much more money needs to be thrown at a broken system?

I believe in public schools, not just because I cannot afford private for my kids (they are going to a charter that is a college prep, not part of the ISD) and Itruley want all kids to be allowed a great education. It shouldn't matter what your income bracket is for at least a decent public school education. I would love to say great education, but across the board I would settle for decent. ( How sad is that statement?
)

And I never thought I would say this, but I am actually leaning towards privatisation of public schools. Something has to give. And I really wish it wasn't at the expense of the children.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
yeah that education paid off really well.

omg is not a word its an abbreviation or acronym.

it can mean either or and whatever else the user trys to convey.

omg : object management group

omg: oh my god

and really when it comes to this nations youth they just had to create their own jargon or slang not so much a big deal as every era of this country has.

but when they need to create a "urban dictionary" so that other people have to look up their words well that speaks to the stupidity in this country.

speak english proper english most people just cant or dont want to comprehend that they take the easy way out and make up words and acronyms so that their parents dont know what they are talking about.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

I am not advocating for more money just against more cuts.

Originally posted by neo96
yeah that education paid off really well.

omg is not a word its an abbreviation or acronym.

it can mean either or and whatever else the user trys to convey.

omg : object management group

omg: oh my god

and really when it comes to this nations youth they just had to create their own jargon or slang not so much a big deal as every era of this country has.

but when they need to create a "urban dictionary" so that other people have to look up their words well that speaks to the stupidity in this country.

speak english proper english most people just cant or dont want to comprehend that they take the easy way out and make up words and acronyms so that their parents dont know what they are talking about.

OMG: Listed in the Oxford English Dictionary.... Attack mode is FTW today eh?

Neo, my dearest, when you chastise the lack of command over the English language our youth has and commit such fundamental that you do you seem silly.

Also have you ever used urban dictionary? It is a comedic site. Not intended to educate anyone.

The thing people often forget, when using language as an proof of "stupidity", language is kinetic and ever changing. Complaining about language really only gauges your inability to adapt to the changing landscape that is culture.

The sleeper curve (a case study about media and overall intelligence) states that the newer generations are more advanced than the prior one. For more info read this: Everything that is bad for you, is good for you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join