It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Crash Test: Will Your Internet Access Come to a Screeching Halt on June 8?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

four
Still waiting I guess. Is it June 8 UTC?

edit on 6/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yep, has been for almost 2 hours here. Thats what you asked right?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

Yeah.
The test won't do anything. The old system is running in parallel on the servers that are doing it. It's just a test for those who are ipv6 capable to see if they can connect.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thats all like Chinese to me lol, as long as i can connect im good.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
reply to post by Phage

Here's somethig that's not in Chinese:

IPv6 Capable Operating Systems

This page lists operating systems that are IPv6 capable
Desktop
Operating System...Since version... Notes

MacOS X...10.4 ...Enabled by default. Main firewall configuration only IPv6 aware since 10.6. Older versions require use of ip6fw. Based on the KAME project.

MS-Windows...Since XP ...On Windows XP it needs to be enabled ...(edited source which is out of date for latest versions of XP...see my follow-up post below) Enabled by default on Windows 7.

Linux Kernel 2.1.8+ Added to the Linux kernel in 1996. Available by default on most distributions.

Smartphone & Tablet
Operating System Since version Notes
iOS... 4.2... Only available in automatic mode. If IPv6 is on the network it will auto-configure.
Android ... 2.1
So for anyone using XP who wants to turn it on, See my next post after this one for instructions on how to add it, since it's not enabled by default like it is in Win7. One of my computers still runs Windows 2000 so I don't think it can even handle IPv6. When it becomes mandatory or otherwise a problem I'll either have to upgrade that OS or only use it offline.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Arbitrageur because: edited out of date source, and edited post to refer to following post for instructions on installing

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well this is a foreign language to me!

My computer is working fine right now..should I worry?

Can someone explain this in English :lol non computer speak for those of us who don't understand that lingo?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by reesie45
reply to post by Phage

Here's somethig that's not in Chinese:

IPv6 Capable Operating Systems

This page lists operating systems that are IPv6 capable
Desktop
Operating System...Since version... Notes

MacOS X...10.4 ...Enabled by default. Main firewall configuration only IPv6 aware since 10.6. Older versions require use of ip6fw. Based on the KAME project.

MS-Windows...Since XP ...On Windows XP it needs to be enabled by entering 'ipv6 install' at the command prompt. Enabled by default on Windows 7.

Linux Kernel 2.1.8+ Added to the Linux kernel in 1996. Available by default on most distributions.

Smartphone & Tablet
Operating System Since version Notes
iOS... 4.2... Only available in automatic mode. If IPv6 is on the network it will auto-configure.
Android ... 2.1
So for anyone using XP who wants to turn it on, now you know what to do, since it's not enabled by default like it is in Win7. One of my computers still runs Windows 2000 so I don't think it can even handle IPv6. When it becomes mandatory or otherwise a problem I'll either have to upgrade that OS or only use it offline.

On the Microsoft Support page for Windows XP, it says to type netsh int ipv6 install at the command prompt. Will either work or is one of you mistaken?

support.microsoft.com...

Also, if it does not work, then how do I change it so that I can revert back to what I am using now?

Thanks!
edit on 8-6-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
On the Microsoft Support page for Windows XP, it says to type netsh int ipv6 install at the command prompt. Will either work or is one of you mistaken?

support.microsoft.com...

Also, if it does not work, then how do I change it so that I can revert back to what I am using now?

Thanks!
Good catch, actually I didn't write that source and didn't check it, but apparently that was for an earlier version of XP. The more recent versions of XP should use the command you mentioned, netsh int ipv6 install. I wouldn't use either one, I'd go to the control panel and open "network connections", open your active network connection, then click "install", then click "protocol", then click "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6".

To uninstall it, highlight it ("Microsoft TCP/IP version 6") and click the uninstall button which was right next to the install button.

I just added it to my XP using the control panel method. Sorry about the outdated source I posted earlier, and thanks for catching it.

edit on 8-6-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Comcast has been testing this for the past month. Most residential customers are experiencing outages during the day (0900-1800 hours). Businesses won't be affected.

That's all I can say!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It will not crash anything, as they are using dual stacking and tunneling for this.
Dual stacking will allow the use of IPv4 and IPv6. Tunneling will allow IPv6 will run on top of IPv4.

The use of IPv6 is great. It essentially takes away the need for super-netting, some NAT'ing issues and resolves the decreasing number of Public IPs. Each device in the world has a unique MAC address, IPv6 basically applies the same logic, thus creating a unique IP address for each device.

Easier tracking? Yes, but that can be resolved by NAT'ing and Proxy.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I wouldn't use either one, I'd go to the control panel and open "network connections", open your active network connection, then click "install", then click "protocol", then click "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6".

Thanks!

I went to perform this task and, much to my surprise, the setting were already on "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6". That's odd considering that I have had this desktop operating on XP Home Edition for 6+ years.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

That surprises me! I definitely had to add it to my XP, though I'm on 64 bit XP if that makes a difference. I'm not sure how yours got installed if you didn't install it, unless you got maybe a Dell or HP or something and they installed it for you? They do customize the OS a bit, so that could be one possibility if you have a manufactured PC. Mine is homemade, so it had all the default XP settings.

edit on 8-6-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

reply to post by Aggie Man

That surprises me! I definitely had to add it to my XP, though I'm on 64 bit XP if that makes a difference. I'm not sure how yours got installed if you didn't install it, unless you got maybe a Dell or HP or something and they installed it for you? The do customize the OS a bit, so that could be one possibility if you have a manufactured PC. Mine is homemade, so it had all the default XP settings.

Yes, I have a HP Pavilion a620n. I suppose that it was already installed at the factory. Talk about foresight!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
i'm back, no problem, connect speed same, log on same, video same, using win xp no up date, old version.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join