It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Crash Test: Will Your Internet Access Come to a Screeching Halt on June 8?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This actually isn't anything unexpected but since it's from Scientific American and has a catchy little conspiraciesque title, here goes...

Computer Crash Test: Will Your Internet Access Come to a Screeching Halt on June 8?

A 24-hour evaluation will determine whether millions of people

worldwide can connect to the new 128-digit Internet protocol

address system

Every computer, modem, server and smart phone that connects to the Internet has a unique Internet protocol (IP) address, so users can find it. The address format, known as IPv4, was standardized in 1977 as a 32-digit binary number, making a then-seemingly unlimited 4.3 billion addresses (2^32) available.

They're all used up.

IPv6, a 128 digit address system, will be replacing IPv4 soon and on June 8th we're having a bit of a test... Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Comcast and others will be turning IPv6 on for 24 hours to see what happens

All but the oldest computers and phones have been configured to handle both schemes, but "home gateways—the DSL modems or cable modems—may not be," says Geoff Huston, chief scientist for the Asia–Pacific regional registry. And the IPv6 option in your computer or phone may not be turned on. In these cases, if you try to access an IPv6 address on June 8, you will either experience a delay of up to 75 seconds, as your system finds its way to the IPv4 address for the site you're trying to reach—or you may just never connect.

edit on 7-6-2011 by Thermo Klein because: fixed something

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
what the [SNIP]! This is Y2K? I thought it's supposed to be at 2000. Oh swell might as well prepare for the coming chaos
edit on 7-6-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
prob a way for the goverment to track you easier......

2nd

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This isn't a government scam, lol.

The address space for IPv4 is running out. IPv4 addresses look like this: 192.168.1.1

There are only a few billion of these addresses available, and they are running out very quickly. The world needs to convert over to IPv6 in order to support the expanding internet.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I have put this off....but maybe i should look into it.

I run Ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop computer. I have disabled the IPv6 protocol in my Firefox browser as a 'fix" for slowness (the calls for the IPv6 get hung up for some reason...so the workaround is to disable it in the browser setting).

I did not disable it in the OS, as that was not needed.

Wonder how that is going to effect us? I will be leaving town for the night on the 8th, so may not be able to test it...but i am going to try.

any other Ubuntu users out there that might have an idea what to expect, or if i should re-enable the IPv6? Might the issue be my router? It is about 7 years old (one of the first "g" routers on the market). And i seem to remember the issue being the communication between PC and router in some cases.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
my internet has survived 6hours of the 8th as of yet, so far so good.

or is this a rapture like event?

i wish some people would never reapper on the internet if thats the case

where is internet heaven though?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by rydizz

guess ur safe

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

edit on 8-6-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
My test has been going for 5 hours so far and there is no difference... Though to be fair I'm at work and not using that much bandwidth.

I'll see how the PC's at home fare when I get home.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

I thought IPv6 had already been used and deployed on some but not all domains?

In 2008, IPv6 accounted for a minuscule fraction of the used addresses and the traffic in the publicly-accessible Internet which is still dominated by IPv4.[49] In October 2010, 243 (83%) of the 294 top-level domains (TLDs) in the Internet supported IPv6 to access their domain name servers, and 203 (69%) zones contained IPv6 glue records, and approximately 1.4 million domains (1%) had IPv6 address records in their zones.[50] Of all networks in the global BGP routing table, 7.2% have IPv6 protocol support.

The 2008 Summer Olympic Games were a notable event in terms of IPv6 deployment, being the first time a major world event has had a presence on the IPv6 Internet at ipv6.beijing2008.cn... and all network operations of the Games were conducted using IPv6.[51] At the time of the event, it was believed that the Olympics provided the largest showcase of IPv6 technology since the inception of IPv6.[52] Since that time, major providers of Internet services, such as Google, have begun to implement IPv6 access into their products.[53]

Some implementations of the BitTorrent peer-to-peer file transfer protocol make use of IPv6 to avoid NAT issues common for IPv4 private networks.[55]

All major operating systems in use as of 2010 on personal computers and server systems have production quality IPv6 implementations.[56] Microsoft Windows has supported IPv6 since Windows 2000, and in production ready state beginning with Windows XP. Windows Vista and later have improved IPv6 support.[57] Mac OS X Panther (10.3), Linux 2.6, FreeBSD, and Solaris also have mature production implementations.

IPv6 - Wiki

oh i just realised my test is also underway as of 10am this morning EST(AU)

No difference so far that i noticed - here is the full list of worldwide test times:

test-ipv6.com...

edit on 8-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I have the typical home version Linksys router... guess I'll find out in a few hours if I'll have a day at the beach instead of work

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
June 8th here in aus nothing yet i dont think it will crash out

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

no joke since 9pm its 1:50am I'm on my phone, my internet on my PC has been running slow its been really getting to me

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
this is why we need the new protocol

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I'm on my summer break right now between semesters on a Networking Technology degree at the local community college and this was a major topic of side chat with the instructors by many students. The consensus among the networking department instructors seemed to be that hiccups would occur and there would be minor issues here, there and all over but the issues would be minor and would pass without much notice by the general public.

Incidentally, IPv4 isn't 'running out' of assignable IP numbers. It IS out. I understand the last open one had been assigned here recently. That doesn't mean every IP number under the v4 system is actually assigned and in use, but there are no more class blocks to give out. On the bright side, v6 allows so many IP's that the number that could be given to each man, woman and child on Earth is so insanely high, it's not even worth referring to it as a limit.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
it is 12:10 am June 8 2011,works fine at this time will get back on at a later am time to see if there is a change in up load, log on, web search and posting have a good night all.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I think nearly everything out there is capable of IPv6 but not all implemented/active yet. I haven't really researched this at all, just heard it around and saw it pop up as new on Sci American, so I posted it.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If you're running on WinXP SP2 or better, or pretty much any OS and router released in the last 6 years or so then you should be fine.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
All ive noticed is my internet on my home PC is running slow like im on dialup its been that way for about 4 hours its annoying..

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Whelp.
Whatismyip.com shows four sets. Yay!
xx.xxx.154.186

Pinging yahoo.com

edit on 6/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How many sets were there before?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join