It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got threatened with jail time after applying for financial aid

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
If you get a draft notice you can always smoke a joint just before your draft physical.

Or you could do what a number if guys i knew back during the Vietnam did that was eat a 5 pound bag of sugar just before going in for the draft physical.
There blood sugar levels were so high they were listed as diabetics.

There are likely a number of medication you could take that would raise your blood pressure high enough that you would fail.

I beat the draft. i joined the navy.

Now the government is still paying as i am 10% service connected disabled and also get a veterans disablity pension. that i hope one day to turn into a 100% service connected.

I even got a 5 way heart bypass surgery for free.
i also get free medical and most of my doctors are top doctors from UCLA medical school.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The Federal law that requires every American citizen to register for the selective service has been in place since the Selective Service Act of 1917 which has been updated by Congress & several Presidents via executive order, the last of which was Carter.
Basically, it is a federal crime to not register for the selective service and since "financial aid" for college students is administered and dispensed by the federal government since you didn't register like everyone else did, you are exempt from receiving financial aid..
C'mon lets be real here, if you filled out a "FAFSA" form you very well know it means you're asking the federal & state government for help with money to go to school. So why should the government help you if you haven't upheld your duty as a citizen to register for the selective service?
We all know there's never going to be a draft in America; unless, a true world war three breaks out and the US is attacked on our homeland. In which case I'd expect everyone man I know over the age of 18 would want to to help out..
just go over to sss.gov and go do it.. I did, my friends did when we turned 18.. What's the big deal? The military hasn't drafted anyone in a long time,,
just do it, it isn't a big deal

~CosmicClearance

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CobraCommander

A big star for your MSMReview link, Cobra. The wealth of
information and specifically old docs is most welcome!
A recently banned member of some notariety got me
started on more depth of research, and you've helped greatly
as well. Now to get me ignorant butt back to work.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I am from the Netherlands what I read here is like going back in time.

I am almost 30 and in my life the military never bothered me with anything.
As far as I remember, none of my friends ever said something about it.

How come some countries like the Netherlands do not bother regulars like me, with papers that should give me a feeling that I do not ow my life?

I was on welfare, had college funds etc, but never I encountered something of the military that stated I could go in selective service.

I think that is a crazy situation there in the US. How long could you go to jail for this?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The selective service is a mandatory part of life in this country. It is part of the contract you choose to accept by living here, like it or not. Until enough people can get the law changed that is it. By the time this country ever has to reinstate the draft it won't much matter whether you consider yourself a fighter or not, because you won't have much of a choice in or outside the army. Short of a world-war, the U.S. will never reinstate the draft, not with everyone making sure the rich kids exchange some fire right next to the poor folk.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
So why should the government help you if you haven't upheld your duty as a citizen to register for the selective service?
We all know there's never going to be a draft in America; unless, a true world war three breaks out and the US is attacked on our homeland. In which case I'd expect everyone man I know over the age of 18 would want to to help out..
just go over to sss.gov and go do it.. I did, my friends did when we turned 18.. What's the big deal? The military hasn't drafted anyone in a long time,,
just do it, it isn't a big deal

~CosmicClearance

The government is there for you and the people pay them so the gov should be a tool for the people. You should not be thankful for this, its sad already that people have to apply for aid.

In case of WW3 the last place I want to sign up is in the Military. Thats crazy considering the pawn you become on the frontline. I think I rather shoot myself then sign up for the military. My family is 1000times more important then helping US to win a battle.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

The government is there for ME? I didn't know I was a multimillion dollar corporation!! Hell I could use a nice 7 trillion dollar bailout!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
I am from the Netherlands what I read here is like going back in time.

I am almost 30 and in my life the military never bothered me with anything.
As far as I remember, none of my friends ever said something about it.

How come some countries like the Netherlands do not bother regulars like me, with papers that should give me a feeling that I do not ow my life?

I was on welfare, had college funds etc, but never I encountered something of the military that stated I could go in selective service.

I think that is a crazy situation there in the US. How long could you go to jail for this?

5 years I think. It's a felony.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I dont support US imperialism at all, but if I was drafted, I would go without a fuss.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Your situation has nothing to do with bailouts; your situation is ..You're asking the government, either federal or state, for money to go to school through either loans or grants which they will grant you. BUT you have to uphold your responsibility as mandated by federal law to register for the selective service before they're going to be willing to help you out.. There's no conspiracy here.. Plus, some employers have policies in place where they check the Selective Service registry to make sure you're registered before they will hire you.. Just like the school you applied to did.

I'm not saying I agree with the premise; but if you're going to ask Uncle Sam for help you have to play by Uncle Sam's rules... If you choose not to play; then you're going to have to come up with the money yourself.

Like I said earlier, it isn't that big of a deal. No one is going to get drafted. The US military has met their recruiting goals, and then some, for years upon years now... I understand how you feel. I was apprehensive when I filled that form out myself. But its going to hurt you more in the long run if you don't do it and you're risking legal issues and being denied both aid for school and possibly employment verses filling out a piece of paper that, chances are, is never going to effect a thing in your life..

~CosmicClearance

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Thats the law. You probably should have registered after graduating from high school and the fact that you didn't was illegal.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Register with The US Selective Service and you will get it and I guarandamntee you that. This was the only thing that was missing, outside of that what you reported tells me that everything went through but that.

You'll recive a mailing in about 4 - 6 weeks later confirming your registration and copy that and send the copy to the entity you applied with and a few weeks later it should go through no problems.
edit on 4-6-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
I don't know too much about this whole thing but it just kind of trips me out

In early april I applied for Federal Student Aid, which I'm sure plenty of others have done. I'm a married man with 2 kids making a sustainable living, however can't fork out the extra money for school. My wife also filled her application out at the same time. She got her approval a little under a month later, and I was like "hey, what about me???" (we're attending the same college).
About a week later, I recieved a letter that said "we've recieved your application for FSA, and it is being processed, however you are required to register for selective service before approval can be given. Visit www.SSS.gov, or fill out the attached form and mail it back to us in the pre-addressed envelope. If registration is not recieved, your application will not be processed and you will be prosecuted which can result in jail time. We don't want to prosecute you, so please register as soon as possible."

WTF is that?? I'm not a fighter, don't support the wars, but I DO support the troops. However I don't wanna be one, I just support them from afar. lol
It just leaves a bitter taste for them to say "register so we can come get you when we draft, or you'll go to jail".... I definitely would not be a proud soldier after having to choose between jail and combat.

How touching, and just a few days after Memorial Day that pays homage to our fallen troops over the years.
(And I certainly do not agree with all the wars that have claimed them.)

So you are a lover and not a fighter and want a free handout from the government? Get in line, the one that says, "Freeloaders apply here. No responsibilities required."

Oh, you did already and are miffed that you got rejected? Can you please explain with better logic your argument? I seem to have missed its validity.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Maybe this thread has some thing to do with it. www.abovetopsecret.com...
Students to be forced into military to repay debts

edit on 4-6-2011 by mkkkay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

don't they have rules about condescension and rudeness? ffs

To the OP - thanks for posting and pointing this out - as a female I had no idea either, and will definitely pass along the information to my sons - one being over 18, I'll make sure he gets it done asap - I don't like the idea of just "sucking it up" or doing anything the gov says just cause they say so either - but I figure its better than the alternative of having to actually deal with them for not doing it. If all it takes is filling out a little piece of paper to keep them out of our business, I'm all for it.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

If they are doing that to you...they must be putting pressure on a lot of other men too. It makes me wonder....just what exactly are they getting ready for? WW3?

Did you and/or are you going to fill out the forms? My heart goes out to you being put in such a difficult situation.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
So lets get this straight.
You want a Federal Govt hand out but are unwilling to go along with the restrictions they set forth?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Why was your wife not told to do the same? Did she already register?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Why was your wife not told to do the same? Did she already register?

Women aren't required to register. Only males.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Anyone forgetting the 60's when the Vietnam war was at its peak? 'Oooh they haven't drafted anyone since the 80's'

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join