It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got threatened with jail time after applying for financial aid

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Just do it and count yourself lucky that you don't live in a country that REQUIRES active military duty.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by idunno12

Originally posted by beezzer
There is not going to be a draft. You're fine. Relax.

See? All better now.

If there is no worry of a draft, then why do they even need the selective service? And why is it so important to them that they are threatening people with jail unless they register?

Good question. They already have something working for them which is baiting the lower class citizens with opportunities that wouldn't otherwise be posed. Jail time is serious. They could have at least threatened me with a fine.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Technically, you can be put in jail for a traffic violation. Doesn't mean that will be your sentence though. Especially since the judge is going to make you register when you show up for your trial.

You don't have a choice. If you are an American male citizen over the age of 18, you are required to register. Doesn't matter who you are or how much money you have or what your beliefs are. You have to register.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CobraCommander

I can't begin to describe how much I hate being told what to do by people I can't even trust. lol

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Lol, I hear ya. But it's as much of a requirement as paying taxes.

Keep this in mind too though, registering does not mean that if there actually were a draft, you couldn't object. It just puts your name in the lottery system in case there is a draft. If you were to get called up, you could still object on whatever grounds you chose to object on, and pull whatever strings you have like paying off your local congressman or something, lol.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander

Lol, I hear ya. But it's as much of a requirement as paying taxes.

Keep this in mind too though, registering does not mean that if there actually were a draft, you couldn't object. It just puts your name in the lottery system in case there is a draft. If you were to get called up, you could still object on whatever grounds you chose to object on, and pull whatever strings you have like paying off your local congressman or something, lol.

Taxes are nowhere in the constitution and you will see me on the news one day about that too. lol

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Just don't worry about it. They already have your name, address, everything, if you have a drivers license.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Yeah bud all males are required (usually at 18) to register for selective service. You stay in the mix for a total of 8 years which is the requirement for any military personnel (though usually only a fraction of that time is spent in active duty. The rest is inactive reserves. Like 4 years active duty, then 4 inactive reserves).

It's not really a big deal. They'd have to be seriously hurting to ever draft anyone in selective service. It is the law that you register for 8 years though.

Sorry. I know it sucks..
edit on 4-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

Exactly, so then why do I have to register? Is that like flippin me off after you rob me?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

This started 30 years ago. To my knowledge, no-one has ever served jail time. Just aother form to fill for the Peoples Republik. Maybe, at one time, there might have ben thoughts to bring back the draft. This started just 6 years after the fall of Saigon and the Vietnam draft. It's just a hold-over from the cold war.

Thanks for the reply. I decided to look up more information about this, because I was not aware of this either.

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register for the military draft. However, men who currently register are not automatically inducted into military service. Currently, the United States operates its military through volunteer enlistment. The last time men were inducted into the military was during the Vietnam War. Registration for a possible future draft is required to ensure America's preparedness in the event of a military crisis. In the event of a crisis that necessitates a draft to be invoked, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. They would then be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces. You may register as soon as you reach the age of 17 years and 3 months but must register within 30 days of turning 18.

Here are all the things they will do if you don't register:

Failure to register is a violation of Federal Law. Conviction for such a violation may result in imprisonment for up to five years and/or a fine of not more than $250,000.
You can expect to be denied a driver's license
You may become ineligible for federal benefits for life
DISQUALIFICATION FOR STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
DISQUALIFICATION FOR CITIZENSHIP
DISQUALIFICATION FOR FEDERAL JOB TRAINING
DISQUALIFICATION FOR FEDERAL JOBS
(I didn't put them in caps, I copied it that way and didn't want to retype it)

Source

And it makes me wonder...if its mandatory and no one has a choice, then why do they make you even register at all? Why not just draft a person through the IRS or the Social Security number system if the Selective Service is ever needed.

Also on a side note, I see that one of the punishments for not registering is the denial of a drivers license. It seems like more and more things are being tied to a person's drivers license, and the loss or denial of it is being used as punishment for non driving related things.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Ha! Constitution? What does that scrap of paper have to do with anything?

U.S. Federal Authority is Martial Law

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by idunno12

This started 30 years ago. To my knowledge, no-one has ever served jail time. Just aother form to fill for the Peoples Republik. Maybe, at one time, there might have ben thoughts to bring back the draft. This started just 6 years after the fall of Saigon and the Vietnam draft. It's just a hold-over from the cold war.

Thanks for the reply. I decided to look up more information about this, because I was not aware of this either.

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register for the military draft. However, men who currently register are not automatically inducted into military service. Currently, the United States operates its military through volunteer enlistment. The last time men were inducted into the military was during the Vietnam War. Registration for a possible future draft is required to ensure America's preparedness in the event of a military crisis. In the event of a crisis that necessitates a draft to be invoked, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. They would then be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces. You may register as soon as you reach the age of 17 years and 3 months but must register within 30 days of turning 18.

Here are all the things they will do if you don't register:

Failure to register is a violation of Federal Law. Conviction for such a violation may result in imprisonment for up to five years and/or a fine of not more than $250,000.
You can expect to be denied a driver's license
You may become ineligible for federal benefits for life
DISQUALIFICATION FOR STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
DISQUALIFICATION FOR CITIZENSHIP
DISQUALIFICATION FOR FEDERAL JOB TRAINING
DISQUALIFICATION FOR FEDERAL JOBS
(I didn't put them in caps, I copied it that way and didn't want to retype it)

Source

And it makes me wonder...if its mandatory and no one has a choice, then why do they make you even register at all? Why not just draft a person through the IRS or the Social Security number system if the Selective Service is ever needed.

Also on a side note, I see that one of the punishments for not registering is the denial of a drivers license. It seems like more and more things are being tied to a person's drivers license, and the loss or denial of it is being used as punishment for non driving related things.

So they take away certain jobs, financial aid, and your license? They cancel your life... lol

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by idunno12

You actually make a good case for getting rid of the draft. I've been in since 1981. I'm an old fart. The draft never did make any sense to me. I'd rather fight with people who want to be there than fight with people who were forced to be there.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CobraCommander

Yet we just submit... dear God..

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
do not sign up

supporting troops is fine and all

but it is patently unamerican to have a standing army

if you do not want to live off the man

do not play the game

if you can not afford schooling try another route

educate yourself

you should watch the college conspiracy

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truther9111776
do not sign up

do not play the game

educate yourself

Well unfortunately, I'm forced to try and pay stupid amounts of money for a piece of paper so I can support my children. If it weren't for them, I'd be living in a 1 bedroom apartment, dedicating my life to pissing off the people in charge.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truther9111776
do not sign up

do not play the game

educate yourself

Yeah right. The path to sovereignty is not for the layman. If you're not careful, they wind up showing pics of your dead @ss on 60-Minutes...

Freedom a threat to police

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Welcome to the "real world" citizen!

Yeah... turns out you gotta do the selective service thing to "vote" as well, that is if you are an able bodied male.

They made me sign up twice. Don't know why. (SNAFU?)

Threatened with federal prison both times.

I was already signed up when it happened the first time.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
All they need is a little terrorist attack, blame it on Iran, and boom, the US needs a boatload of troops to invade.

A draft will be needed. And since those bastards in congress gave all powers to Obama, they would give it to him in less than a second, especially since they are republicans and they love war...

You're a terrorist strike away from being sent to Iran.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
When my brother joined the Army his recruiter told him he had to register with Selective Service first. The recruiter was shocked when my brother pulled his card right out of his wallet and slapped it on the desk. Lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join