It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being Gay is a Gift from God

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I happen to notice this billboard while driving to the mall a couple of days ago. It took me by surprise, but I was glad to see the message it's sending. Personally, I don't believe in the Christian God, but believer or not, everyone should be treated the same, regardless of sexual orientation. It would be great for larger churches to follow the lead of this small church.

( I know my windshield is dirty.
)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4eff0771225a.jpg[/atsimg]

The church has a Being Gay is a Gift from God campaign going on.

centraltoledo.org...

COMMUNITY CAMPAIGN: “Being Gay is a Gift from God” The purpose of this campaign is 1) to offer welcome to all persons who are gay; 2) to challenge the larger Church to fully accept persons who are gay into the life of the Church; and 3) to call on all people to bring all the gifts of who they are to God.

more from the church site:

Here are some important things about us:
-We are young and old, gay and straight, in committed relationships and single.
-We come from all sorts of faith backgrounds, from traditional churches to no church at all.

I believe in a creator, just not the Christian God and my opinion is that each and every life is a gift.
I don't want this thread to turn into a gay bashing/God hates gays thread so I won't respond to any of those replies.

+23 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
LOL No-one is born gay. Being gay is a choice. ...... gods gift

edit on 1-6-2011 by smartbuddy because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Yes it is a sin. No-one is born gay. Being gay is a choice.

The Bible is very clear on this matter both in the Old and New Testament.
When Adam and Eve brought sin into the world everyone has urges that is sinful, that is why if you have a relationship with Jesus Christ, He can help you overcome your sinful urges.

God loves all sinners and wants to save sinners from themselves but its your choice.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by smartbuddy

Why would anyone choose to be gay.
Seems to me, if the bible was right and considering all the persecution that exists there is no upside to being gay: therefore, why would anyone choose to be gay?

edit: on the billboard itself, it's likely they see all obstacles as gifts from god. Gay thoughts are just another obstacle to some religious folk.
edit on 6/1/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Church takings must be down, must widen the net

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
To believe it is a choice is insane.
Who would choose to face ridicule and violence?
If it was a choice then people would choose to be heterosexual
so they would not have to continually be attacked.
The idea that it is a choice sounds like recycled religious propaganda.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

LOL No-one is born gay. Being gay is a choice. ...... gods gift

edit on 1-6-2011 by smartbuddy because: (no reason given)

Is it really? Every friend I've had who came out had never been interested in the opposite sex before their decision to tell people of their sexuality.

I was born liking girls, other men are born and have always liked other men, the only choices come from those who choose to become gay after a horrendous childhood sexual abuse experience (I also know of people who had that happen) but those seem to be the minority of that culture.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

1 Corinthians 10:29-30

For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience? If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Oh dear im not sure how hard I need to face palm for this.

I dont consider my sexuality a gift from a supreme being. I just can't find any reasoning to that statement.....I mean......really?
New marketing strategy targeting a larger demographic? I just....no words....

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
yea.. the God of this world system~!! Lucifer! Hello ~!!

But was it was in the days of Noah .. so shall it be in the last days before the Son of Man's return.. I didn't say it.. I just read it..

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I figure gay couples have as much chance as making it in a relationship as the rest of us. Marry your dog...see how long you last...LOL. Truth is, love is hard and comitted relationships take work. Good luck to all of us.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
People said it was ok. God said it isn't. Choice, as any other temptation, you have a choice to rebuke or give in. Yes, it is a choice. It is a violent battle for your soul everyday. The devil will throw everything he has to distract you. The biggest trick he's pulled off to date is get people to forget.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Their choice to be gay is a gift to me. In the form of an extra female, from each of them, in the mate pond for me. Whether I was blessed with this by a God or not is yet another debate.

More seriously, I think that the personal choices made for sexual orientation should not be persecuted. I am happy to see a Christian church getting over it and welcoming gay folks to their flock.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I really appreciate this message. Rather than merely a message of blanket tolerance (which it is also) it seems to imply something I have always thought...that being gay is a blessing. I'm not gay, but my gay friends are much much happier than I, or any of my straight/married friends or family. Maybe it has something to do with loving someone who is so much like you as opposed to loving someone who will always remain a mystery. A baffling, frustrating mystery.
edit on 1-6-2011 by joechip because: grammar

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

1 Corinthians 10:29-30

For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience? If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?

yeah, have fun with all that.

Your book means about as much to me as all the other religions do; your beliefs will one day be discussed by people in a history class with laughter and derision. Just as we fail to understand peoples' belief in Ra, Anubis, Zeus and Hermes so too will they fail to understand the hate masked by "modern" religion.

The notion, that it is a choice precludes actual sexual preference. For it to be a sin everybody therefore must be attracted to both men and women at all times and only when they choose to act are they sinning.

So all people who believe it to be a choice are admitting their own latent bi-sexuality.
edit on 6/1/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

is it even worth getting into? christians see homosexuality as a "sin" so it has to be a choice because their god gave us the will to chose to be gay but would never have made anyone gay by design.
they more than likely know gay people and by knowing gay people it is clear as day that they did not chose anything, but they can never admit it because they have the fear of god in them. they lie to themselves so hard that they actually believe it... they have no choice but to do so or it is hell for them along with the rest of us sinners, same as a homosexual has no real choice.

my opinion though

Interceptor

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

The Bible is very clear on this matter both in the Old and New Testament.
When Adam and Eve brought sin into the world everyone has urges that is sinful, that is why if you have a relationship with Jesus Christ, He can help you overcome your sinful urges.

God loves all sinners and wants to save sinners from themselves but its your choice.

Yea, I am sure my good childhood friend choose to be gay so that his mother could repeatedly try and beat the "gay" out of him.
and be tormented by our classmates. (this was back in the 80's when people were less tolerant.)
He choose to be gay as much as I choose to be straight.

I hope you have never been divorced then remarried. If so, you are committing adultery against your first spouse.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Let's face it the more homosexuality is encouraged and accepted, the slower the population growth. This has to be good for the planet, yes?

Another point, if there's a 100% acceptance of homosexuality, over time wouldn't this stop them from propagating, and eventually becoming extinct, or will there always be a 'gay' gene even in heterosexual males?

Not a gay basher. These were just a couple of thoughts I'd like some reasonable responses to.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Personally, if a church congregation is okay with putting this message out, let them. As for me claiming what is wrong or right for anyone else, all I can say is if you live by the sword - die by the sword. I believe that goes for using Bible verses as a substitute for a sword as well.

To me it makes perfect sense that where and how your journey takes you in life, is the story between you and your belief system - in my case, God - and not the business of anyone else (with the obvious caveats of don't harm anyone, etc.).

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by smartbuddy

The bible also gives incest the go ahead...oh and rape and murder (not to mention killing your own children)...destroying civilizations...

I don't believe in fairy tales, but if i were to, I'd believe in the one from this methodist church.
edit on 1-6-2011 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join