It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Animal Lovers! Pictures/Stories/Advice Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Awww I'm sorry about Cosmo.....
....you sure have some beauties! I love boxers too, but they pretty hyper right? My sister had one and she would jump 4 feet off the ground like she had springs on her feet! It was wild. That PUPPY is sooooooooo freaking CUTE!!!! I love puppies

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Right now I have an all white persian cat who is deaf, a red eared slider turtle, two adult crested geckos and 4 babies. All were rescues except for the babies.

The cat was found out in the woods and around the dumpster where we used to work. It would eat whatever food people would leave out for it. It was terrified and hissing and growling like a wildcat. We took it to the vets and found it had a bad ear infection and fleas. I had two other cats at the time and wanted to find her home but we ended up keeping her and my other two being elderly had passed away.

She is now the sweetest and most gentle little loving cat. I had spent a lot of time just lying beside her, not trying to pet her or anything just so she could get used to me and not freak out. With her being deaf, I would flick lights before entering so she would be aware I was entering the room. One day I heard her purring and tried to pet her and she still purred away. I knew her darkest hours were behind her and she could finally trust someone and be happy.

The turtle was just a baby when I took it in, the people who owned it previously only fed it lettuce and didn't have any special lighting for it. Its shell was deformed and had one eye smaller than the other, but I loved that little thing. It is now big and happy and healthy.

The geckos when I saw them on a few occasions had dirty water and no food. I talked the owner into selling them to me. They are always fed and have fresh water and had some babies together.

Animlas bring great joy to my life and it is my responsibility to make sure that they are well taken care of and happy.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Denco

Hey! Thanks....those EYES....gorgeous....are they that color in real life? I agree we should appreciate them, which is why I wanted to start this thread. I am just fascinated with animals....they add so much to our lives. I have an obsession with the big cats.....particularly Black Leopards. Since I can't own one, I have the smaller versions
....but they are really not that different....just miniaturized!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Awwwww I LOVE stories like that. You have a good heart. Those "rescue" pets usually turn out to be the best. Both of my cats were born to feral mothers who abandoned them...and they are the sweetest most loving cats. When I am having a bad day, they sense it and either love on me or act silly to make me laugh. I am so glad you took that kitty in.....

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

(let's see if I can get this right)

This is a pic of My Mollie, she passed away in Dec 2010 after a long and happy life. My grown kids said...if ever a dog was like their owner--It was Mollie and Me LOL! As she grew older she had lots of gray hair, she lost teeth, she had a low tolerance for ignorance, and if she loved you---she loved you.....if she didn't----you couldn't get within snout length of her. Mollie was always ready for a nap or bedtime! I have COPD and am ill quite a bit so If I was sick in bed....Mollie was right next to me....watching my back to make sure none of the kids or grandkids didn't rush up and get on the bed too LOL! If I was watching TV in the living room...she was in my lap or as close to me as she could get. Sometimes if I was up and about she would tolerate sitting in the recliner with my husband.
Though I have other pets, she will always be missed!

~~Linda

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by grumpydaysleeper

Ohhhhhh...... What a cutie!!! I am so sorry you lost her. I'll be facing that soon too as Heidi is getting old, and she's blind and deaf now. But I know animals have souls, and live on, so we see them again somehow. Thank you so much for sharing her with us!
edit on 5/23/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I was actually lookin g for some pictures of my dogs when I came across this. This baby kestrel was in my care for a short amount of time.

But the advice I would like to share is it is just an old wive's tale that a mother bird will abandon her baby if it is touched by human hands. That is not the case. If you find a baby bird out of the nest at too young of an age to be on it's own, if you can, place it back in the nest. That gives the baby it's best chance for survival. Otherwise, locate a bird rescue in your area, if there is one, and take the baby to them. It is good to have numbers of animal rescues on hand in case you need one.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaveTheWolves
This baby kestrel was in my care for a short amount of time.

That is so cool! Did it make a bunch of noise? I'm assuming it was entirely hand-fed...what's the story on this one?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

That was from a couple of years ago when I did volunteer work at a bird rescue. It was only in my care for a very short time before it went to the people who care for the predators. They do hand feed them and the main objective is to raise them and get them big and strong for release back into the wild. I have gotten to release two pairs of kestrels and it was so amazing! One of the most awesome feelings I have ever had. I highly recommend volunteering your time and services to animal rescues. You will feel so wonderful!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
I love boxers too, but they pretty hyper right?

Yes, indeed. They are extremely active dogs and some can easily jump over 6 ft privacy fences. Diesel jumps straight up (about 4 ft) right by the back door whenever he wants in. He's so smart. He knows it gets my attention if I'm watching TV or something.

I only recommend Boxers to very active pet owners though. They are extremely intelligent and get bored easily and when that happens, they tend to be destructive (chewing,etc)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheWolves

THAT is awesome! How long did you have him?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Right...that's what I meant because my sister worked long hours, and she would come home to a hyper MANIAC. He would dig HUGE tunnels in the yard because he was so bored. Not the dogs fault though. Those dogs need lots of interaction and physical activity...I finally convinced her to let the teenage boy next door adopt him, and before long he was pulling the kid around on his skateboard and having a blast!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

That was at the bird rescue. People bring in baby birds and injured birds. We get a lot of kestrels so how long that particular one was there, I really don't know. But it takes a few months before they grow from that size to being releasable. When they are older they go out into 'flight cages' where they learn to fly and strengthen their wings. They are at some point before release given live prey, mice normally, to make certain they are able to hunt. They are carefully assessed by the experts before they are deemed to be releasable. It is quite involved. Mostly I take care of baby and injured non-predators, lots of doves, grackles, sparrows, woodpeckers, finches and even pigeons. LOL

So while these are not my own personal pets, I feel they belong to all of us...

Baby sparrows

Baby woodpecker

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by Denco

Hey! Thanks....those EYES....gorgeous....are they that color in real life? I agree we should appreciate them, which is why I wanted to start this thread. I am just fascinated with animals....they add so much to our lives. I have an obsession with the big cats.....particularly Black Leopards. Since I can't own one, I have the smaller versions
....but they are really not that different....just miniaturized!

That's awesome! Big cats are so mysterious.

Yeah her eyes are like cat eyes. It's funny because she behaves like a cat also! She's a good 60 pounds, but will curl up into this tiny ball and lay in the sun on the back of the couch... it's hilarious. She also hasn't barked once in her life and will rub all over your legs like a cat. Silly dog.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

This is Mr Billy Houdini. He's a hot mess. He has two ladies, Bella and Sookie and two children Blue and Bonnie. He is the tamest and friendliest fella you could ever meet. He loves people and when he escapes from his large fenced in area, he will come looking for someone to put him back up!
He's a handsome dude LOL!

~~Linda

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Awww he is adorable! Is he a Nubian?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

This is my cockatiel, Corona. Corona was given to me by a lady who hand raised him and his nest mates. We taught Corona to whistle "how much is that doggie in the window", he says an array of other things like "Here Kitty...Kitty...Kitty...Kitty...Kitty", Meow, pretty bird, gimme kiss, come here--come here, I love you, and some other things.

True story,

about 3:00 A.M. one morn, my two house dogs came to my side of the bed to wake me up because they wanted outside...........so I got up and let them out the front door. Got back into bed, got comfy and was about to doze off when Rudy....my orange tabby started meowing....so I get back up...go to the front door and let Rudy out (he always has to have a personal invitation to go out...he won't go out with the dogs)....I go back to bed, get all comfy again and just about to doze off when I hear this voice hollar "COME HERE----COME HERE"

I gave up

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I believe Billy Houdini is Nubian!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I know just a little about goats. Enough to get me into trouble.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

This is my cat "Rudy"....He is spoiled rotten!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join