It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joplin Missouri Hammered Hard by tornadoes!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yes, I was told there are only 6 cell phone towers functioning for the whole area! I don't know how many they normally have, but I think I can see 6 from my office window here! The radio in Joplin was also reporting that they were trying to block down some of the service to provide better signals for the emergency workers. I think that is the problem with making outgoing calls, but it is just a guess.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Makes sense.. My cell phone periodically dumps mass text messages and voice mails every so often. I have been getting radio resource interference errors on my cell phone, so I am assuming the bandwidth is being diverted to emergency services.

I use sprint and every so often when I try to call out I get error messages from other service providers.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Some rotation dropping down in Ringwood, OK
SPC 50% of a F5 today
60% of F3/F4
www.kfor.com...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Where the homes destroyed? My friends are cocker spaniel breeders and they converted their garage into a room where they kept their animals. I am curious if you or your family know about their status? I am very worried.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Don't know if this was posted but here is a personal view of the tornado hitting a store with people inside. Its freaking scary as the tornado comes.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Updated info is hard to come by.. Here is some more info, some info out of date.

KY3 - Springfield updated news info

Winds were clocked around 198mph.

JOPLIN, Mo. -- The city manager says the confirmed death toll from a tornado that struck the city on Sunday has risen to 116. It makes it the tornado with the second-highest number of fatalities in the state's history.

The tornado tore a six-mile-long, half-mile wide path through the middle of Joplin on Sunday. Much of the city's south side was leveled, with churches, schools, businesses and homes reduced to ruins by winds of up to 165 mph. Officials estimate 2,000 buildings were damaged.

There's some good news. City Manager Mark Rohr says seven people were rescued. Gov. Jay Nixon said at a news conference on Monday afternoon that he's confident other survivors will be found.

The National Weather Service says the tornado that swept through Joplin packed winds up to 198 mph. The weather service's director, Jack Hayes, says the storm was given a preliminary label as an EF4 - the second-highest rating given to twisters. The rating is assigned to storms based on the damage they cause.

Hayes said the storm had winds of 190 to 198 miles per hour. At times, the storm was three-quarters of a mile wide. He says survey teams from the National Weather Service are on the scene and will make a final determination on the rating on Tuesday.

A tornado outbreak last month killed more than 300 people across the South. At least three of those storms were rated EF5.

Status update as of noon Monday -

State's situation report at noon Monday

Gov. Jay Nixon deployed 100 National Guardsmen to the affected area with specialized equipment to aid in search and rescue and debris clearing.

Electric Outages – Empire Electric – 20,000 with restoration times to be assessed and reported after daylight.

New MAC Electric (Neosho)– reporting 1,500 residents out of power currently.

Shelter – Currently one shelter is open at Missouri Southern State College with 110 individuals reported at the shelter.

National Weather Service: Survey teams are en route and in close communication with Jasper County. They are experiencing quarter size hail and storms that should pass soon. There are concerns about additional storms this afternoon. There is a moderate risk for severe thunderstorms on Tuesday.

Region D/Joplin (Jasper County) – 90 fatalities have been reported. They have outlined a grid pattern and Search & Rescue teams are doing a full grid search.

Railroads have resumed operations, however they are moving slowly. Public Works and Mutual Aid are en route.

A shelter is open and 300 volunteers have arrived to assist in shelter operations. Utilities are working on restorations and there is a boil advisory in effect. There are 100 law enforcement personnel working to secure 30 roadblocks.

The biggest needs at this time are search and rescue as well as mortuary assistance. FEMA Region 7 is setting up a portable morgue and family assistance center. Widespread damage, EMD reports 2,000 structures destroyed including residences, businesses, schools, apartment complexes and churches. St. John's Regional Medical Center was badly damaged and patients were evacuated. Thirty (30) deaths have been reported.

Lafayette County – residence destroyed with minor injuries

Stone County – (Galena) A Cargil contractor with 4 turkey barns destroyed due to the damage of uprooted trees. Another Cargil turkey barn near Galena suffered minor damages. Two mobile homes and damages to two turkey barns reported.

ESF #1: I-44 was cleared this morning and is now open. Rangeline Road is closed. Recommending that people get fuel in Springfield or Oklahoma. Currently assisting the city with debris removal.

ESF #2: Report that there are fifty cell sites that are off the network. Ten of these sites are off the network due to damage. Radio communications are up and running. A Highway Patrol command truck is en route to the affected areas to assist with communications. A State Area Coordination Center kit is being sent to support emergency phones. The Joplin Police Department communications system is not functioning. Jasper County has limited radio capability. Jasper County 911 is fully functional.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sjewell57

I am sitting on the KS/OK boarder as it sits and builds. 15 degree drop in 30 minutes. Baseball size hail reported south of Wellington. 100% humidity with 73 dewpoint. I think we are ok, we are inbetween two rivers, but those north and maybe south of us might get a few touch downs.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Heres the video of the tornado as it starts to become bigger.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Joplin is under a sever thunderstorm warning.. News is talking about another system coming in that should arrive by tomrrow with the possibility of producing conditions for more tornados.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by lovelyc
I have close friends located on E. 24th street off of Duquesne in Joplin. Does anyone know of the damage in that area? I can not get ahold of anyone and am very scared!

I have friends on that same street. There was extensive damage there. My friends lost their garage, their vehicles, and the roof off the front portion of their home, but the people are all safe. There were a lot of rescue crews in that area last night, and most of the homes have been searched now. My parents were able to drive in from the backside of 20th and Duquesne and get far enough to see their friends home on 24th street, but they couldn't actually get to it. They did get a text message later that the family was safe, and there were big red X's painted on the front of all the homes in the area, so they have been searched.

Keep trying to contact them, you will eventually get through.

Where the homes destroyed on E 24th Street and Duquesne like the others shown on the news? My friends are cocker spaniel breeders and they converted their garage into a room where they kept their animals. I am curious if you or your family know them and their status? I am very worried. Any information would help.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lovelyc

That area was affected by the Tornado... I do know I was able to drive down Duquesne road this morning, but was difficult to do lines down and debris. There was a lot of damage in that area heading towards what use to be the walmart.

sent you a pm.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Some additional info:

MODS - Please do not delete. If possible please sticky for the time being.

Here are some more contact information for those who are looking for people, or in the area and are looking to assist.

**The contact information is current, body count is not**

KOAM 7 Joplin MO

Quick Notes

89 confirmed dead

To located loved ones

Visit safeandwell.communityos.org...

Call 417.659.5464

How you can help

Complete spreadsheet of Joplin Relief Drop Off Locations

Volunteers are asked to report to Leggett & Platt (recreation center) at Missouri Southern State University

To give blood in Joplin go to the Community Blood Center of the Ozarks located at the Northpark Mall.

To find out how you can help call 1-800-RedCross or visit www.redcross.org...

Mail monetary donations to:
American Red Cross
P.O. Box 37243
Washington, DC 20013

Shelters
•Ignite Church
•Leggett & Platt Center at MSSU
•Memorial Hall
•Mount Hope Church of Christ in Webb City (call 624-1795)

Bus's to Red Cross shelters available at:
- Junge Stadium on 13th Street
- Forest Park Baptist Church, 7th and Rangeline
- Lowe's, 24th and Rangeline
- Vintage Stock, 32nd and Main

Pets

Amber Alert for Pets will issue free lost pet alerts families who have lost a pet in the area affect by the tornado. Go to amberalertforpets.com and fill out a lost pet report. Use the code "MS2011". A cell phone picture will work.

Central Pet Care at 224 West Central in Carthage is open to accept animal emergencies and displaced animals. Call 417.358.1300 for more info.

Golden Paws Pet Resort is accepting animals that need shelter because their owners have lost their homes. Please call 623-0842.

If you do NOT live in Joplin, please stay out of the area. Many of the roads are still not passable.

Blood Donations are needed - Check with the Community Blood Center of the Ozarks - They are set up at NorthPark Mall - North Rangline and 7th street area..

*** NEEDS O Negative blood********

City of Joplin
City of Joplin website - Tornado Information

State of Missouri - Joplin Tornado website - needs, guidlines, links, resources, unemployment assistance etc

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
My heart and prayers go out to the people of Joplin.

God makes the wind, but God is not in the wind.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lovelyc

I wish I had better news, but in that area some homes were destroyed and others were only partially damaged. My friends house was about 1 block west of Duquesne on 24th street. The garage was completely destroyed, but the home was pretty much intact with only the front portion of the roof blown away. Just a couple of blocks away, closer to 20th street, some homes were entirely destroyed. The only good news I have for you is that rescue crews were on the scene in that area almost immediately yesterday. I will send you a PM and try to get more details.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
My heart goes out to these poor folk. What a nightmare it must have been, to experience, and then another nightmare as uncertainty and sorrow sets in.
Communication, community and empathy help, but they can't bring back loved ones.
As a 'survivor' of a recent natural disaster I can honestly say my thoughts are with you and while it may not seem like it at the moment, time will help heal the scars.
Remember community. It is the people who define that by their actions. People can and will surprise you with their resilience, hope, hard work and support.

Kia kaha.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by lovelyc

I wish I had better news, but in that area some homes were destroyed and others were only partially damaged. My friends house was about 1 block west of Duquesne on 24th street. The garage was completely destroyed, but the home was pretty much intact with only the front portion of the roof blown away. Just a couple of blocks away, closer to 20th street, some homes were entirely destroyed. The only good news I have for you is that rescue crews were on the scene in that area almost immediately yesterday. I will send you a PM and try to get more details.

I just received word that my friends, their family, and animals are all accounted for and safe. I do believe they lost their home. I appreciate all of you help and the information I have received via this website. Best of luck to everyone else, you are all in my prayers.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lovelyc

Great News! I'm happy for your friends and family!

I just found out that my brother lost a co-worker and his two sons. They were eating at the McAlister's restaurant on Rangeline. He is pretty sure he lost another friend that worked in that McAlister's, but he can't confirm it yet.

Supposedly there were only 68 people still considered missing, so if that holds true, then we are looking at a Max death toll of 188 or so. Some might still be found alive, so that is great news if it is true. I can't imagine how the number could be that low after seeing the devastation, but I hope it is true!
edit on 23-5-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
***Glad*** to hear your animals and people are okay, --- Lovelyc ---

I'm listening to the Jasper County law Enforcement Agencies Live audio Feed
And they said a policeman was struck by lightning. Goll, thats weird. What did lil Joplin ever do to recieve so much fury?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
My heart goes out to all those affected.

The devastation breaks my heart. Its so sad to see what has happened, and to know how quickly it happened makes it worse.

I live in Fort Worth, Texas, and I am terrified of what I know will come one day. This area is overdue for a major tornado, and I can't imagine how bad it will be when it happens. The local news/weather people are really good and stay on top of things sometimes a full week before it can happen. So at least we have that.

If the storms are this bad right now, I can't imagine what they will be like in September/October (the second severe weather time of the year).
edit on 23-5-2011 by riddle6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I just got a chance to watch the video you posted. That is some great footage. At the end of the video, it appears they are near 20th and main, just a little south from there, maybe 22nd street or so. The flashing lights up ahead are probably the intersection of 26th and Main where there was even more extensive damage.

That is really some amazing footage, they caught the thing when it was a couple of little small tornados, before it really took off and grew into a monster!

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join