It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joplin Missouri Hammered Hard by tornadoes!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hey all- Here's a number you can try to locate people with. There are a ton of groups on Facebook now helping with locating and relief. My family lives and works near there, but they are all safe.

"Americorp has established a number to check on loved ones and for survivors to check in
417-659-5464."

Here's the facebook page with continually updating info. There is also a LOT of people listed missing on here. Also warnings that people can't return to their houses because of gas leaks (however, I believe, within the last hour the gas company has shut off the supply completely).

www.facebook.com...#!/joplintornadoinfo?sk=wall&filter=2

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Wow you guys in the states have been hit hard this year. What is going on with these crazy tornados? Is this normal?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lovelyc
I have close friends located on E. 24th street off of Duquesne in Joplin. Does anyone know of the damage in that area? I can not get ahold of anyone and am very scared!

I have friends on that same street. There was extensive damage there. My friends lost their garage, their vehicles, and the roof off the front portion of their home, but the people are all safe. There were a lot of rescue crews in that area last night, and most of the homes have been searched now. My parents were able to drive in from the backside of 20th and Duquesne and get far enough to see their friends home on 24th street, but they couldn't actually get to it. They did get a text message later that the family was safe, and there were big red X's painted on the front of all the homes in the area, so they have been searched.

Keep trying to contact them, you will eventually get through.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I was down there last night and I have seen destruction from a tornado but this is beyond what i have ever seen. Half of joplin is just a debris pile. And i am not liking what i see in oklahoma. there is another system capable of producing tornados right through joplin and southern missouri again. I am gonna wait till this system passes in the next couple of hours and prob head back down. I like seeing the amount of people grouping together to help out. Our dept had 20 and i seen quite a few deputies/firefighters and medical from other counties all over the state coming to help.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
I never like to say exactly where I reside, but I'm somewhere Out There by Iowa.

If you notice the ads that pop up for you, your IP already gives it away for anyone with server access. It is just like the GPS in your cell phone almost. Your cell phone is tracking you constantly. It used to be you paid for GPS service and now the powers that be demand that you have it. If you don't want to be tracked, then throw all your crap in the river. But don't worry, if the Presidente get's his way, then he will be able to telephone the entire country at the same time and before long the press will be saying that the Dear Leader invented an invisible cell phone to talk to soccer and basketball coaches. Oh, wait, that was the Dear Leader in N. Korea that did that. Never mind.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Going by the SPC outlook today midstates are set for yet more moderate storms breaking out in Oklahoma yet again, with a slight risk of severe storms breaking out elsewhere. The risk remains into tomorrow pushing upwards into Missouri with a higher risk of a Tornadic outbreak occuring in the states of OK, MS, TX as a result.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Here are some more contact information for those who are looking for people, or in the area and are looking to assist.

**The contact information is current, body count is not**

KOAM 7 Joplin MO

Quick Notes

89 confirmed dead

To located loved ones

Visit safeandwell.communityos.org...

Call 417.659.5464

How you can help

Complete spreadsheet of Joplin Relief Drop Off Locations

Volunteers are asked to report to Leggett & Platt (recreation center) at Missouri Southern State University

To give blood in Joplin go to the Community Blood Center of the Ozarks located at the Northpark Mall.

To find out how you can help call 1-800-RedCross or visit www.redcross.org...

Mail monetary donations to:
American Red Cross
P.O. Box 37243
Washington, DC 20013

Shelters
•Ignite Church
•Leggett & Platt Center at MSSU
•Memorial Hall
•Mount Hope Church of Christ in Webb City (call 624-1795)

Bus's to Red Cross shelters available at:
- Junge Stadium on 13th Street
- Forest Park Baptist Church, 7th and Rangeline
- Lowe's, 24th and Rangeline
- Vintage Stock, 32nd and Main

Pets

Amber Alert for Pets will issue free lost pet alerts families who have lost a pet in the area affect by the tornado. Go to amberalertforpets.com and fill out a lost pet report. Use the code "MS2011". A cell phone picture will work.

Central Pet Care at 224 West Central in Carthage is open to accept animal emergencies and displaced animals. Call 417.358.1300 for more info.

Golden Paws Pet Resort is accepting animals that need shelter because their owners have lost their homes. Please call 623-0842.

If you do NOT live in Joplin, please stay out of the area. Many of the roads are still not passable.

Blood Donations are needed - Check with the Community Blood Center of the Ozarks - They are set up at NorthPark Mall - North Rangline and 7th street area..

Law Enforcement from outside the area, in addition to National Guard are assisting. Due to the powerlines and gas breaks, most of the area is still shut down.

St. Johns Hospital has been pretty much destroyed after taking a direct hit. All patients have been evacuated to other facilities. Freeman Hospital is unaffected but only taking priorty cases. If you have non serious inuries please use one of the open, minor medical triage centers that are set up around the City. There is a triage area that was set up across the street from the St. Johns ER.

Again, if you do not have business in Joplin, remain outside the area and let emergency services do their jobs unhindered.

edit on 23-5-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sjewell57
I was down there last night and I have seen destruction from a tornado but this is beyond what i have ever seen. Half of joplin is just a debris pile. And i am not liking what i see in oklahoma. there is another system capable of producing tornados right through joplin and southern missouri again. I am gonna wait till this system passes in the next couple of hours and prob head back down. I like seeing the amount of people grouping together to help out. Our dept had 20 and i seen quite a few deputies/firefighters and medical from other counties all over the state coming to help.

Between this one and the Tornados in Alabama 3 weeks ago, there must be 400 dead Americans due to tornados so far this past month. In Alabama there was 1 F5, 3 F4, 6F3 and a dozen F1-2 in the same day. The one that destroyed Tuscaloosa was an F4 just like the one in Joplin.

It is unprecedented in the past 1000 years.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

St. Johns Hospital has been destroyed. All patients have been evacuated to other facilities. Freeman Hospital is unaffected but only taking priorty cases. If you have non serious inuries please use one of the open, minor medical triage centers that are set up around the City.

You will find a lot of head injuries. There was probably a 1000 head injuries in Alabama in the last outbreak. You have to take shelter in these things and add head cover if available which could include helmets. Basically it is like a bomb going off in your living room. Think IED preparation for your family. These are unprecedented events that people are not prepared for. The bad thing is that this is the start of what could be worse to come.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yes, definately, i got so tired of telling cars loaded with gawkers to leave the area. then they wanted to argue about why they wanted in. People trying to get a peek slow down all the services there to rescue people.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Yes, definately, i got so tired of telling cars loaded with gawkers to leave the area. then they wanted to argue about why they wanted in. People trying to get a peek slow down all the services there to rescue people.

Makes 2 of us.. The tornado hopped over my place.. I was very lucky.. A few blocks to my North though is the path of destruction.

You medical or LEO / National Guard?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Law enforcement

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sjewell57

Sent you a pm...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheReturnisNear

Between this one and the Tornados in Alabama 3 weeks ago, there must be 400 dead Americans due to tornados so far this past month. In Alabama there was 1 F5, 3 F4, 6F3 and a dozen F1-2 in the same day. The one that destroyed Tuscaloosa was an F4 just like the one in Joplin.

It is unprecedented in the past 1000 years.

In all yesterday there was 53 Tornado reports (of course the severity of them varies from Funnel cloud sightings to F4/5 sightings) but any given year there can be up to a thousand Tornado reports on the SPC website that go un-noticed. Unfortunately its the handful a year such as the recent ones that make the front-page. Tornados are indiscriminant and will touch-down regardless of the area, be it forest, mountain, lake, or city.

www.spc.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

My worker just left the office letting me know that her aunt an uncle and her 6 year old step son was lost.......along with his mother who was 8 months with a little girl.........

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Sorry about all the people in Joplin. It is pretty bad over there right now and i wish i could help. Good luck.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Sorry about all the people in Joplin. It is pretty bad over there right now and i wish i could help. Good luck.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Good information, but I think some of it is already outdated. Memorial Hall stopped being a shelter at about 2 a.m., it is only taking in injuries for triage now. I think the church filled up shortly after that and stopped taking in new people as a shelter also.

MSSU's athletic center is still a good place to go for information, to volunteer, or to find out about shelters opening in the area. I think most people are now being bussed out to surrounding communities.

The confirmed death toll was at 119 last I heard, but I also got a report that it was raised to 122, I don't know if that is confirmed yet or not.

Still, thanks for the phone numbers, and info! Information is the thing in shortest supply in Joplin right now! If anyone has friends or family there, CALL THEM! They are having a very hard time making outgoing calls, but they are receiving incoming calls pretty well. Call them and give them updates!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

The cell phone services are still intermittent. Text messages though have been going through a lot better than phone calls. With the cell towers beuing destroyed, its hit or miss.

The info was from there last update at 3pm, but yeah its a bit behind in terms of numbers.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

So sorry Mike! Stay strong, that is all you can do for now. We all wish we could do more to help you.

I am honestly thinking of driving up. I have friends in the Fire Department there, I am pretty sure they could put me to work. I feel so helpless down here 1000 miles away with all of my friends and family and childhood memories up there getting devastated physically and emotionally.

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join