It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joplin Missouri Hammered Hard by tornadoes!

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Xcathdra I can't reply to your U2U yet i don't have 20 posts. but to answer what you asked in it I'll answer here

no worries man the only way we'll get what really happened here in joplin is to compare what we've heard and get rid of the inaccurate reports and get the accurate info out there.

I'm just a regular guy but have friends that are leo and a neighbor who's son is an assistant fire chief here in Joplin. I also rushed to the St. Johns area to check on family that lived just a few blocks east of St. John's and then rushed back east to check on my grandfather that lives just northwest of the high school.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Mercenary2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Starling

am in wy.gl to all inso sry noone seems to care joplin.massive spraying here again today steering to midwest

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2012

how is it so many from joplin are on this post from rekamwodiw

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I know and that it was Sunday, the day everyone goes to visit the patients! If the death tolls are correct and the number of mobile morgues and temporary morgues are wrong, then Joplin is truly blessed beyond measure.

I realize that in what happened, even one single death is a tragedy, but when we gaze at the endless miles of absolute carnage and mangled metal strewn debris, it really is a miracle to hear so many members come on to give the good news they have about their loved ones and friends.
edit on 23-5-2011 by antar because: Spell check is off and I cant speeel

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rekamwodiw

because we live outside of the damaged areas and have power and internet.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

i mean so many members of ats in joplin

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

Those I believe popped up after the tornado- those are called Mammatus clouds and although somewhat rare I have seen them around storms since my youth. And I am old.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rekamwodiw

there's really not that many of us here in Joplin that are ATS members. But Joplin isn't a small city either.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Saw your post earlier, I am in the KC area too, grew up here, left for 30 years and am back. Also have lived through 4 hurricanes. Everything everyone has told you about being prepared is absolute fact, but there is one important thing to remember. After the storm passes, everyone gathers outside, and they begin to help others, this is the reason that things like what has happened in Joplin, and other rural areas, never turn into what we saw in New Orleans. When it is over, work with your neighbors, work with the LEO's, and survive.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The Greatest Article I have seen yet on the whole mess:

www.washingtonpost.com...

Caution: It is vitally important not to make connections. When you see pictures of rubble like this week’s shots from Joplin, Mo., you should not wonder: Is this somehow related to the tornado outbreak three weeks ago in Tuscaloosa, Ala., or the enormous outbreak a couple of weeks before that (which, together, comprised the most active April for tornadoes in U.S. history). No, that doesn’t mean a thing.

It is far better to think of these as isolated, unpredictable, discrete events. It is not advisable to try to connect them in your mind with, say, the fires burning across Texas — fires that have burned more of America at this point this year than any wildfires have in previous years. Texas, and adjoining parts of Oklahoma and New Mexico, are drier than they’ve ever been — the drought is worse than that of the Dust Bowl. But do not wonder if they’re somehow connected.

If you did wonder, you see, you would also have to wonder about whether this year’s record snowfalls and rainfalls across the Midwest — resulting in record flooding along the Mississippi — could somehow be related. And then you might find your thoughts wandering to, oh, global warming, and to the fact that climatologists have been predicting for years that as we flood the atmosphere with carbon we will also start both drying and flooding the planet, since warm air holds more water vapor than cold air. It’s far smarter to repeat to yourself the comforting mantra that no single weather event can ever be directly tied to climate change.

And it gets better throughout the article.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starling
Thanks for that Pop Science...Really heartbreaking.

But I'm here to bring to the attention of all here:

Check out photo #23.

If that isn't a HAARP cloud formation I'll eat my hat!

If it IS a Haarp formation, then what's going on here is GENOCIDE!

I looked at those pics and pic number 23. Very ODD. It looks like strait lines. Lanes of these clouds in those lines. Is that natural? It doesn't look natural.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
While following this thread I was searching the net for more info
I found a google map that had nice info on it
but later noticed a map was posted ,

Then I realized it wasn't the same google map this one has
the path , width,length, damage area and such
google map here

I also found out today my mother-in-law is from that area as a kid
moved away from Joplin in 1940. I always thought she was from CA
but learn something new everyday.

Listening to the scanner right now and it sounds as if they are getting flooded?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
While following this thread I was searching the net for more info
I found a google map that had nice info on it
but later noticed a map was posted ,

Then I realized it wasn't the same google map this one has
the path , width,length, damage area and such
google map here

I also found out today my mother-in-law is from that area as a kid
moved away from Joplin in 1940. I always thought she was from CA
but learn something new everyday.

Listening to the scanner right now and it sounds as if they are getting flooded?

The google maps link you have there doesn't seem to be working for me. All it says is "data is currently unavailable" =/

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratus9
The Greatest Article I have seen yet on the whole mess:

www.washingtonpost.com...

Wow, have they still got the balls to still peddle this 'Global Warming' junk?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2012
i only heard 5 patients died. i haven't heard of any staff deaths but I'm sure the total number of fatalities at the hospital will be higher.

MY info about the size of the hospital is first hand as well. I should have said that the entire outside of the building was still there minus the windows and a few sections of the roof.
I'm not a first responder so i could not enter the hospital. but a first hand account from a joplin firefighter that was in St. Johns was only portions of the 9th floor collapsed down to the 8th floor. the 8th and 9th floors are not patient floors they are offices for out patient services.
Also only the west tower has 9 floors not the entire hospital..

it took the first responders 90 minutes to evac the hospital they removed all 189 patients that were in the hospital when the tornado hit at last report from the hospital officials.

yes the structure is a total loss and St. Johns will have to rebuild.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Mercenary2012 because: (no reason given)

I haven't heard numbers or much detail, but my wife works at St John's in Springfield where a lot of patients were evacuated to and they were talking about doctors and nurses who died at the facility in Joplin. I do have another source there that's a lot higher up the food chain, I'll check on it in the morning.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

I know alot of the staff at St. Johns were injured in the tornado. But kept working through the night lastnight to help people in need

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'll make a map of the path the tornado took. and the edges of the damage path.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundowner

I'll try again
I think some reason it cut off the & in the middle of it

retry link

WOW that didn't work either
so here is a paste
These for lines are the url some reason its cutting it up when pasted in as one link

maps.google.com...
/maps?ftr=crisisresponse.kmlpanel:
southern_us_tornadoes_4_2011&
cad=southern_us_tornadoes_4_2011

edit on 5/23/2011 by EvilBat because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/23/2011 by EvilBat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

That is actually the scarry part. So far the offical count is 116 deaths total. The problem is search and rescue are just now getting underway. As of today, 7 survivors had been located, and no update on death total. Bodies are being transported to morgues setup within the city for identification and finger printing to confirm identity and family notifications.

If the number of deaths remains at this level, I will be amazed as Joplin is truely blessed just based on the devestation.

I live on the border of the affected area. The tornado hopped over our house and we suffered no damage. A few blocks north of me is where it looks like a war zone. We lost power, and had it restored by 1pm this afternoon. Apparently we are on a seperate grid than those North of us. Same with the cable/internet connection, so when the power was restored, we had cable and internet.

Its weird watching this on tv and looking out my window to see it. The media, as much as I have complained about there reporting in the past, really are not doing this story any justice through no fault of their own. Unles you can see this first hand, the videos you see just dont portray the amount of destruction.

The updated damage/destroyed figures for structures within city limits went from 25% up to 75% of the structures within city limits have been severly damaged / destroyed.

If anyone has family or relatives in Joplin and cant reach them let me know. I can try to get to some of the areas and ask around and relay messages.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Sorry about that.. didnt pay attention to the post count. I sent you a reply with some more info that I dont want to post.

check your pm

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join