It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Often Are Sock Puppet Accounts Looked For?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Not only do people do this to kill threads or support their ideas, they also use it to make threads thrive and grow that necessarily wouldn't, or to gain re invested interest in old topics they have posted, This will typically happen with youtube video that may or may not be partners.

I remember something strange when I first visited ATS...I was in a thread and about six people in a thread had all the same T&C violation..or a ban something like that..and when I clicked the link to view what they had done wrong or what the ban was in order for it all took me back to one original account..it was really weird and I wonder if it was a glitch or something that happened with duplicate accounts because the IP's were the same for all the violations...maybe..?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thank you and ATS member aivlas for the info.......

I asked what to do because I do not like accusing someone if I am not sure. This will lead to replies and discussions that can ruin the harmony and peace in a thread.

It is good that there is the possiblity to inform the member, board or moderator in private. I do not know if a (super) moderator can check IP information or have other means to be sure of a party pooper, but I do hope so.

I understand that there are members with different names but use the same computer and have because of that the same IP. I do not expect any problems with those members just because of the fact that they have an other reason for using the same IP than the clowns mentioned before.

edit on 23-5-2011 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The problem is very disgusting. Whenever someone disagrees with your point of view, they try to label you as a sock puppet. That version happens 99.99% more often than an actual sock puppet being here. And the various labels all mean the same, like puppet, govt shill etc. etc.
Basically when they do it to you, you know you've won, others know it, but they and their fans don't get it and never do.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

yes, but that is exactly what I would expect a sock puppet government shill agent like yourself to say, now isnt it?
/jk

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Originally posted by sepermeru
Yes, you have made yourself very clear. It's against the rules, except for when it's not, and will be enforced against, except for when it's not. That is in fact perfectly clear.

It is clear... You may be among those that prefer not to see it as such.

I said it was clear twice, so I don't know why you think I don't see it as such. I'm not sure how to respond to the eyerolling -- should I say 'Yeah, you're right, I am a jerk'?

But I have to ask... Are you advocating a proactive and aggressive approach regarding multiple accounts? Do you want mods approaching every poster and asking "may I seez your papers pleez?"

Why do you have to ask? I made my thoughts on that clear in at least two other posts in this thread. I said in no uncertain terms that I think it's better to be flexible with the rules, and that I think the individual mods all work hard at doing at a fair job. I used those exact words. Not good enough for me to avoid a huge faceful of snotty attitude though, eh?

edit on 24-5-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

...we pretty much just check if we're suspicious...or if something gets alerted to us by the membership...

No...no...we are completely omniscient of course. We see and know all...

So be good, for goodness sakes...Oh...wait, different guy...

Yeah, pretty much what he said.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

My GF has an ATS account as do I. Sometimes we switch each others Laptops and post under the others account. Is this sockpuppetery?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by Gazrok

My GF has an ATS account as do I. Sometimes we switch each others Laptops and post under the others account. Is this sockpuppetery?

Only if you use it as a way to bolster your arguments as if you are multiple people.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join