It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Often Are Sock Puppet Accounts Looked For?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Since no one has bothered...

I will... The Terms & Conditions Of Use are brief and to the point:

16c.) Multiple Accounts: You will not create multiple user accounts and "talk to yourself."

Pretty cut and dry... If you use multiple accounts in collusion, the hammer will drop... But if you have a second account that posts distinctly and separately from your first one, we'll probably never know, notice, or take action...

That is not and open invitation to open multiple accounts...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Reply to post by jude11

lol thats another category of posters, im unsure wether to call them phage's groupies or phage's echo.

disclaimer: i have nothing against phage, just those who stalk his shadow pretty much like pigeons expecting cookie crumbles to fall their way, stars in this case.

thats why i like the mobile version, im totally unaware if i get starred or not, and makes me focus on what people type and not what their suposed virtual status is.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Im glad you posted that. I think a lot of people are suspecting something is different lately in terms of multiple accounts, strange starring and flagging occurrences that dont seem like the norm, sock puppetry, etc. I know I have lately noticed weirdness that makes me go "hmmmm." I actually do not have a paranoid personality, but I do have the sort of personality that notices changes in pattern.

If ATS wants to allow multiple accounts its their right. However, I do think its disingenuous of them to allow it, and then pretend that its all just paranoia on the part of the membership when people get suspicious that there are people using multiple accounts. It makes absolutely no sense to both allow multiple accounts and deny that people are using multiple accounts, when people are flat out admitting they do.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

An increase in stars and flags. Hmm, maybe it has something to do with the rise in members and traffic?

www.quantcast.com...

Also, on the Forum page:

Most logged-in members on ATS at one time:
1,239 on May 2 2011 @ 05:14 GMT.

Most registed members on ATS in one day:
8,092 on May 2 2011 @ 23:15 GMT

Most new posts on ATS in one day:
13,422 on May 2 2011 @ 23:15 GMT.

We're just damn busy.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Its actually not what I said, but take it as you will.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

No, it's not what you said. It was a rebuttal, the opposite of what you said actually but using logic.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Actually its not an argument against what I said, its an argument against what YOU said, also known as a straw man argument.

en.wikipedia.org...

A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

And its a logical fallacy, for the record.
edit on 22-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

A strawman? Do you know what that actually means, or just a lame debate tactic. Here's some more logic for you to make my point:

New member accounts: Past 24 hours: 117
New member accounts: Past 7 days: 791
New member accounts: Past 30 days: 3,978

From the Stats function at the bottom of the page. Like I said, we're getting busier. That's all.

Edit to add: I see that you don't know what a strawman is by your edit.

edit on 22-5-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Reply to post by intrepid

well you are right, but also all of us were new members at one point. and no
matter how much one has lurked, when registered it always takes some time to understand and get aquainted with some ats's features.

some "new" members though do display a knowledge of features, cliches and routines on ats that one only gets after a period of actual membership.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
If ATS wants to allow multiple accounts its their right. However, I do think its disingenuous of them to allow it, and then pretend that its all just paranoia on the part of the membership when people get suspicious that there are people using multiple accounts. It makes absolutely no sense to both allow multiple accounts and deny that people are using multiple accounts, when people are flat out admitting they do.

It's more that there's no way to prevent it. Web servers can only track IPs, they can't track actual people....

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Who is pretending that it's paranoia? Is there a staff generated thread that states it? Is there a post?

Multiple accounts exist on ATS.

Some members abuse their multiple accounts.

When we discover or are alerted to the aforementioned abuse, the member(s) suffer the consequences and the account(s) are terminated.

Some accounts that are thought to be a second or multiple account, are actually a unique and separate account.

Some second accounts contribute in a positive manner because they are used in a distinct and unrelated manner.

At no time does the staff or ownership advocate, support, or encourage the use of a second account; we merely acknowledge that they exist, and deal with those used for nefarious purposes with extreme prejudice... The benign and unnoticed ones are exactly that... Benign and unnoticed...

I don't think I could be any more clear about the issue.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Reply to post by cupocoffee

on that note, im unsure of this but does ats allow for browsing and posting via proxies?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

You are embarassing yourself.

I know exactly what it means. In this case, it means to keep mooing about how "more stars is associated with more member, here look at all the new members" when I did not argue originally that what I found strange was "more stars."

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
some "new" members though do display a knowledge of features, cliches and routines on ats that one only gets after a period of actual membership.

In the vast majority of these cases it is more likely to be a returning banned member, vice a second account. Sometimes it's a member with an old account that they can't retrieve a password, or even someone who wants to start over for whatever reason (yes, that really does happen).

Not all returning banned members are persona non grata...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I know exactly what it means. In this case, it means to keep mooing about how "more stars is associated with more member, here look at all the new members" when I did not argue originally that what I found strange was "more stars."

Really? Let's check then:

Im glad you posted that. I think a lot of people are suspecting something is different lately in terms of multiple accounts, strange starring and flagging occurrences that dont seem like the norm, sock puppetry, etc. I know I have lately noticed weirdness that makes me go "hmmmm." I actually do not have a paranoid personality, but I do have the sort of personality that notices changes in pattern.

You're right. I'm SOOOO embarrassed.

edit on 22-5-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Not all returning banned members are persona non grata...

Then why ban them in the first place? I sure hope you allow PT to return!

And even some of my rightwing opponents that had me on their foe list.
edit on 22-5-2011 by whaaa because: huh?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusionsaregrander
strange starring and flagging occurrences that dont seem like the norm,

And where in there is there any mention of the more stars you seem intent on arguing about?

Im sure you arent embarrassed, but you should be.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Yeah you can post via a proxy.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusionsaregrander
strange starring and flagging occurrences that dont seem like the norm,

And where in there is there any mention of the more stars you seem intent on arguing about?

You aren't serious are you? You DO know it's not just the 2 of us reading this, right? What would the "strange occurrences" be? Glow in the dark stars and flags?

Im sure you arent embarrassed, but you should be.

I am now. Arguing ridiculous semantics. I recuse myself and let my words stand for the reader.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I believe the topic is...

How Often Are Sock Puppet Accounts Looked For?

Posting on said topic instead of engaging in off topic banter and the hint of personal animosity will prevent any "embarassing" moments... Like misspelling embarrassing...

Stars and even flags for that matter are irrelevant... They seem to foster ill will, envy and a false sense what a "quality contribution" is... Post count isn't too far behind... This is my own and humble opinion and does not reflect the policies of ATS, The Three Amigos, or the Staff...

If you want to look at it from a Zen perspective, the member with only one great and enlightening post would be the greatest and most perfect member... Unless you could do that with none...

But I digress...

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join