It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Often Are Sock Puppet Accounts Looked For?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Then why ban them in the first place?

Because they violated Terms & Conditions Of Use.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Reply to post by whaaa

right, no one gets banned for simply being a t&c abbiding valid contributions on the board member.

and i understand there are valid reasons for making new accounts, but that should be the exception and allowed only on a case by case analysis, and not as a norm that does provide a usefull cover for those with nefarious intentions.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU

on that note, im unsure of this but does ats allow for browsing and posting via proxies?

Well, you know, I was trying to be sort of deliberately vague there so as not to spell out to potential trolls and abusers exactly how to go about doing it......

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
on that note, im unsure of this but does ats allow for browsing and posting via proxies?

Once again, the ATS Terms & Conditions Of Use is your friend...

16a.) Identity Spoofing: You will not impersonate any person or entity, forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any posting. Doing so will result in removal of your Post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Do members use proxies to hide their "origin?" You bet... Is it an issue that we actively pursue? No... It's something that is usually brought to our attention by some other infraction.

A proxy won't help you one bit if you are posting in an unacceptable manner.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Not all returning banned members are persona non grata...

Then are we to assume that some members are given preferential treatment and actually allowed to make a sockpuppet/new account even though they were banned?
edit on 22-5-2011 by whaaa because: huh?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Posting on said topic instead of engaging in off topic banter and the hint of personal animosity will prevent any "embarassing" moments... Like misspelling embarrassing...

My original comment which included the disputed portions WAS on topic. And I am never embarrassed by misspelling. It happens. I just dont happen to enjoy having comments I make taken by members of the staff and twisted to make it seem as if I am arguing something I am not. I apologize for defending my actual position.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Reply to post by cupocoffee

my bad lol

i was trying to deny my own ignorance on that matter. point taken, but still i think those well intended members already know what a proxy is.

allowing those is pretty much setting up for abuse, but also from my moderating experience on other forums, im aware blocking proxies generates some conflicts with the indexing and traffic status by search engines.

and on a ad revenue dependent site like ats those issues always come first.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Then are we to assume that some members are given preferential treatment and actually allowed to make a sockpuppet/new account even though they were banned?

There's no preferential treatment... And it's a new account, not a sock puppet...

There's a difference between someone who got banned once because of a bad streak and someone who has been banned multiple times for the same kind of trolling and unacceptable posting... I would think that would be fairly obvious...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Okay, speaking as a web developer. Pretty much the only way I can think of to actually secure the site against this would be to use folders secured with .htaccess files. Then every site visitor has to enter a u/p to even access that folder at all.

But then that would make ATS a private club instead of a public site, and defeat the whole purpose of letting anyone on the internet sign up and post.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I can assure you I only have one account. I think that you are saying I am in some way causing adversity, and that is simply offensive...if you have a question about my standing on this site, feel free to ask and I will certainly awnser you.

Please don't accuse me of malice though...it's not nice!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
What should a member do when there is suspicion of a sock puppet account? Sometimes you just know there is something going on. In other cases there is not much you can do when two or more kids try to derail a thread or to crush an other member...just for entertainment.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
What I have seen here thats annoying is that people are accused of being a sock here when they arent. I have to look funny at the accuser from that point on... sometimes its not a matter of garden variety ATS paranoia, but an effort to discount a poster or what they are saying.

I suspect you are pretty spot on in regard to the topic at hand.

Sometimes, when people are overwhelmed by the amount of posters disagreeing with them, they can't accept it, and must make all sorts of accusations.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

hover over the member drop down menu then ALERT

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by Aeons

I can assure you I only have one account. I think that you are saying I am in some way causing adversity, and that is simply offensive...if you have a question about my standing on this site, feel free to ask and I will certainly awnser you.

Please don't accuse me of malice though...it's not nice!

I've never even seen your account before, so I certainly wasn't talking about you and I'm not sure how you interpreted that I was.

Unless of course, you ARE another account and you have been arguing with me and forgot to swap accounts before posting this.....

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Which I suppose brings up another interesting concept of the stalker poster.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

edit on 22-5-2011 by LadySkadi because: Curb the digital ego u sock-puppet peeps... Lol.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I find it highly ironic that you guys are spending posts attacking this person for a percieved T and C violation and are infact breaking T and C in doing so , by going off topic , amongst other violations including attacking other members........let the mods handle their own job.

Ah, see I am quite certain I am debating a person with at least one sock puppet right now.

I used to be pretty good at spotting them when I mod'ed another board.

I hadn't noticed an excessive number, but recently I've noticed an increase in what I suspect are sock puppets.

I find not being able to skewer them with the truth to be frustrating.
edit on 2011/5/22 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

I thought you were saying I was the one you were having a debate with...did I misunderstand you?

If that is the case...then my bad.

I am just saying that I am not causing problem (at least not of this sort) here and I only have one account...this one!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I don't think I could be any more clear about the issue.

Yes, you have made yourself very clear. It's against the rules, except for when it's not, and will be enforced against, except for when it's not. That is in fact perfectly clear.
edit on 22-5-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button likes my hair this way

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I was addressing your point, not yourself.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Please stop discussing each other. It is not on topic and subject to removal.

With that said, the proper way to alert staff to something is to either use the alert button or use the Complaint Form located on the blue menu under TOOLS.
edit on May 22nd 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join