It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Often Are Sock Puppet Accounts Looked For?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
Yes, you have made yourself very clear. It's against the rules, except for when it's not, and will be enforced against, except for when it's not. That is in fact perfectly clear.

It is clear... You may be among those that prefer not to see it as such.

It's against the rules if you use a second account to collaborate, if you don't, it's not. If you can't fathom the difference, I can't help you.

But I have to ask... Are you advocating a proactive and aggressive approach regarding multiple accounts? Do you want mods approaching every poster and asking "may I seez your papers pleez?"

I'm on board if you are, I look fantastic in black wool and jack boots.

I think the system works just fine as it is.
edit on 5/22/2011 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
My wife and I both have separate accounts. She has chosen to be male on this site for her own reasons. We can flag each others threads but cannot star a post. Occasionally one of us forgets to log out for the other and sometimes this causes what appears to be a sock puppet but it isn't. Neither of us have been banned but I venture to say that if one of us is than the other is by default because of the IP. Also, from time to time she asks for advice in wording. I'm just saying that sometimes the evidence for a sock puppet is not what it appears to be.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by illusionsaregrander
strange starring and flagging occurrences that dont seem like the norm,

And where in there is there any mention of the more stars you seem intent on arguing about?

You aren't serious are you? You DO know it's not just the 2 of us reading this, right? What would the "strange occurrences" be? Glow in the dark stars and flags?

Im sure you arent embarrassed, but you should be.

I am now. Arguing ridiculous semantics. I recuse myself and let my words stand for the reader.

Personally, I understood exactly what he was saying, and it wasn't that there were just more stars being awarded overall. He was referring (I believe) to the strange pattern in which certain posts are starred, not the total number of stars and flags being thrown around.

Meaning, one person will always get a certain number of stars very quickly on their posts, but then no more stars after that, indicating several sock puppet accounts that keep starring this person's posts, when nobody else stars their posts. Odd behavior for sure, I've seen it several times, and if you look back through people's posts it is suspicious that like 90% of their posts get the EXACT same number of stars. Then watch for that person in the future, and they get that EXACT same number of starts over and over again, and usually VERY quickly, but then immediately their post stops getting starred.

I'm thinking you just misunderstood what he was saying. I don't believe he was talking about an overall increase in Starts (hence the reason he was arguing) I think he was talking about the specific instance of star activity that I previously mentioned. I could be wrong, though. Just my observation.

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Since no one has bothered...

I will... The Terms & Conditions Of Use are brief and to the point:

16c.) Multiple Accounts: You will not create multiple user accounts and "talk to yourself."

Pretty cut and dry... If you use multiple accounts in collusion, the hammer will drop... But if you have a second account that posts distinctly and separately from your first one, we'll probably never know, notice, or take action...

That is not and open invitation to open multiple accounts...

Someone actually did post that exact same part of the T&C, so someone else did actually bother to look at it. Perhaps someone didn't bother to read the whole thread?

Anyway, like I said in my previous post, I don't know what you people expect the staff to do about this? They already stated, if people get alerted, and it's found they are using multiple accounts, they are banned. There really isn't much more to do, is there? Unless you want to open up the idea of the mods banning everyone that posts in a similar manner to someone else... that might just backfire when you get banned for the same thing. It would be quite ironic.

There are two easy steps that can stop nefarious sock puppets/shills/disinfo agents from accomplishing their goals. One step is the responsibility of the members here, the other is the responsibility of the mods, as well as the members.

First of all, if you as a member think someone is a shill/disinfo/sock whatever, ignore them, DONT take the bait, and stay on topic. The easiest way to kill a thread they don't want, is to bait people into arguing, and then alerting the thread so the mods just delete the whole thing, instead of simply deleting the offending posts.

Which leads to the second way to stop them, but this step needs to be taken by the mods, not us average users. This is simply deleting/editing SINGLE posts in a thread, instead of just trashing a whole thread because 2 people within in are arguing. Both people arguing could even be sockpuppets. They don't like a thread, both go in there with opposite opinions, then they bicker and bicker until it gets so out of hand the mods trash the whole thread. Shill wins. If the mods would stop trashing entire threads, and just delete the posts in the thread that are against the T&C, this would take away a lot of power from the shills/sockpuppets. But it seems their power is pretty strong now, because all they have to do is corrupt a good thread, and they know that entire thread will get deleted.

Which leads to the third way to fight this, which again as a member you can personally do. Aside from just ignoring them in the thread, and not taking the bait, make sure to alert every single post as quickly as possible that violates the T&C. This will hopefully stop the thread from getting out of hand from the start, instead of waiting until things get too crazy to control. You can't expect the mods to be watching 100% of the threads 100% of the time, so by alerting people's posts in a thread, you can hopefully bring it to their attention by stopping an argument before it gets out of hand. This is assuming the mods will just delete the offending posts, and not the ENTIRE thread, though.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I was recently accused by a long-standing member of being a banned person on here. The idiot then proceeded to abuse me via PM when I asked what I had done to offend them...

It's not nice when people accuse you of being things that you are not, especially when the T's & C's prevent you from telling them exactly what you think of them - being civil is right, but not always enjoyable.

The Rev.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Something I have noticed is that when someone alerts the mods it is added to their thread count. I do not alert for this very reason. I do not wish for my thread count to be off. Also this is a way to single out the "Tattle tailors" and this can be used against them. Maybe an alert could not be counted as a thread or counted elsewhere non-public, maybe this will make people feel better about alerting.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
My wife and I both have separate accounts. She has chosen to be male on this site for her own reasons. We can flag each others threads but cannot star a post. Occasionally one of us forgets to log out for the other and sometimes this causes what appears to be a sock puppet but it isn't. Neither of us have been banned but I venture to say that if one of us is than the other is by default because of the IP. Also, from time to time she asks for advice in wording. I'm just saying that sometimes the evidence for a sock puppet is not what it appears to be.

My husband and I have the same type of setup, sort of. He's not home that often, being a truck driver, and has a mobile card for his laptop for when he's on the road. And plus he could also use his phone to go on the mobile account.

When he's home, there are 2 of us, each with our own account, but we have 3 laptops, so we don't always use our particular account on the same computer each time.

An IP is the worst way to judge, because of this, plus the IP addresses change every week - just the way the provider works.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Something I have noticed is that when someone alerts the mods it is added to their thread count. I do not alert for this very reason. I do not wish for my thread count to be off. .

Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean? How have you noticed that?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I'd be interested as well.... how is someone going to know that your thread count doesn't match the open threads? Is someone really going to go to the trouble of looking back at every single thread and compare it to number you have? I guess they could, it does seem a tad paranoid to me, though.

Couldn't you explain this as having threads in RATS?

I'm also confused how people are going to use it against you even if they do know for a fact you alerted people?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com... and ensuing conversation. Apparently when you open the comments section on your profile page does as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I just think that if someone is going to go through all the trouble of using multiple accounts they also do not want anyone shutting them down. If one realizes that this is happening and figures out by the difference of thread count an attack can be made(true or not) in the form of accused censorship or disinformation.

edit on 22-5-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

interesting. Thanks for that. Although I doubt the admin/mods mind people 'alerting', as they have the feature set there for people to use.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The system is set up for the mods which I have no issues with at all, they have to do their job. It is the fact that alerting is made public inadvertently through this count that bothers me.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

My husband and I have the same type of setup, sort of. He's not home that often, being a truck driver, and has a mobile card for his laptop for when he's on the road. And plus he could also use his phone to go on the mobile account.

When he's home, there are 2 of us, each with our own account, but we have 3 laptops, so we don't always use our particular account on the same computer each time.

An IP is the worst way to judge, because of this, plus the IP addresses change every week - just the way the provider works.

Yep yep yep there are multiple ATS users in this family, too.

Making the issue more difficult is the fact that I use more than one computer, plus several mobile devices, so my account is likely to show up from multiple IPs, while by the same token, more than one ATS account might show up from the same IP of a shared computer at home. So it seems like a hard situation for ATS to resolve without inadvertantly banning real people.

edit on 5/22/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

But I have to ask... Are you advocating a proactive and aggressive approach regarding multiple accounts? Do you want mods approaching every poster and asking "may I seez your papers pleez?"

No, we just want the issue of multiple accounts to be enforced with equanimity instead of some being allowed and others being banned for a violation of the TandC because of personality clashes between mods and members.

edit on 22-5-2011 by whaaa because: you have a mole

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

can still track what ip is going to which user even if it is dynamic, takes more work but is doable.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant
I was recently accused by a long-standing member of being a banned person on here. The idiot then proceeded to abuse me via PM when I asked what I had done to offend them...

It's not nice when people accuse you of being things that you are not, especially when the T's & C's prevent you from telling them exactly what you think of them - being civil is right, but not always enjoyable.

The Rev.

If someone is "abusing" you via PM, you should alert staff. This is not tollerated....EVER.
If people do not report this stuff, how is staff suppose to know and help?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by Agarta

interesting. Thanks for that. Although I doubt the admin/mods mind people 'alerting', as they have the feature set there for people to use.

No. We do not.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
No, we just want the issue of multiple accounts to be enforced with equanimity instead of some being allowed and others being banned for a violation of the TandC because of personality clashes between mods and members.

edit on 22-5-2011 by whaaa because: you have a mole

Yeah, but enforced how, dude?

"Hey you, quit creating multiple accounts and abusing the ATS information system, or we'll beat you with big sticks"?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cupocoffee

I prefer whipping with wet noodles myself.

I was looking for some clarity on how the issue is dealt with myself. I've seen insinuations that the matter is being dealt with, but no indication as to how or with what frequency or degree.

The answer appears to be, on an Ad-hoc basis, on demand, and not with rigour or on a regular basis by some program.

That'll do. Because of the sense that the issue was being looked at, I assumed it might be by some regular process, and therefore users need not alert about it as they'd be found and cleaned or challenged. I suspect I'm not the only person who had this sort of vague "we've got it covered" question about etiquette.

As this is not that case, then I'm happy to use the alert button.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
I was looking for some clarity on how the issue is dealt with myself. I've seen insinuations that the matter is being dealt with, but no indication as to how or with what frequency or degree.

Well, I know what I'd do if I had thousands of friends and a veritable army of hackers, cops, military and hot chicks under my command.

First, get one of the hot babes to seduce the offender. Trick him into divulging his real name and face and location in a U2U or email.

Then begin collecting evidence to use against the poor sod, enough to ruin his life forever if need be.

Then send a small army of cops and bikers to lurk around his house, scare the living #### out of him. Install that permanent paranoia, agoraphobia and PTSD in him.

And if all that still doesn't work, well.......

But this is all hypothetical of course! Madness like that doesn't really happen in real life..............

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Reply to post by cupocoffee

in that case you should apply for an admin spot

at 4chan, not ats though

but nevermind the hot chicks

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join