It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday promoters should be prosecuted for mass end of time suicides

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It would be to difficult to prosecute people who make stupid predictions, have visions or make outrageous statements. Some will react, some will not. I remember years ago, someone trying to sue Ozzi Osbourne because his son committed suicide after listening to one of his songs. Sad, yes, but not something we can or should try to police in a society with freedom of expression or freedom of speech.

If you were so weak minded as to commit suicide based on some lunatic making predictions, you were most likely going to find a reason or excuse sooner or later.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

How is the government at all have anything to do with the 2012 doomsday phenomenon? None of what you mentioned has the slightest relevance to the topic of this thread. Now I'm not a huge fan of the government, they are majorly corrupt and yes quite possibly many of them are criminals but that doesn't have a whole lot to do with the damage being done by 2012 proponents.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Prosecuted!? No way! If somebody makes 1500 completely useless skinbags off themselves, they should be commended! Give them a medal, I say. Keeping the pond scum out of the gene pool is hard work!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
To prosecute, there must be a crime. What would the charges be? There isn't one. You couldn't even win a law suit as such. If I could talk someone into killing themself? What would the charge be ? Suicide is self inflicted murder. One perp .
edit on 20-5-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You are right it is difficult to prosecute somebody on presumable fault or deeds, but those that are the leaders of those that will commit suicide should be scrutinized, after all it is under of many of this false prophets spells that people die in numbers, specially cult leaders.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
ummmmm....no. people choose to kill themselves...no one pulls the trigger for them. can't force people to eat hopelessness nor can you force them to eat glory. to charge a third party for someone's suicide seem's to support the idea that we possess no free will. i find it difficult to stand for this notion

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It's kind of interesting, a lot of people I ask in real life have never even heard of these doomsdays that are supposed to be coming up, they might have heard it once or twice but didn't give it much thought since there have been so many "end" dates.

Even if the world were going to end, how would fear mongering benefit anyone?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Avyuir

Actually it does benefit some, it benefit the Doomsday Entrepreneurs, they are reaping profits selling their doomsdays paraphernalia as we speak, this include churches, writers and Scholars.

This people looks for current events to match bible prophecies and then proceed to write about the relevant of the issue, then they sell this analysis or information to those willing to pay for it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Randy is right.

As angry as the subject makes me, when it comes the 2012 proponents and others who drive people into financial ruin and a mental state that might cause them to commit suicide attaching criminal or civil liability is essentially impossible. It's just like how Terry Jones said he was going to burn the Qu'ran and attacks ensued by radical Muslims - Jones himself could not be held responsible for their actions, similar deal here.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
this may be exactly why in the Bible, Jesus says that only God knows the hour and day of the end.

that's why i dismiss every end of the world prophecy because if a human claims that's the day, then it's a lie, because no human knows.

it could be 2012 or the year 14,009,234 a.d.

so if someone kills themselves over this, then more and more i suspect that satan is behind some of these predictions.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

What we have here is feeding fears and peddling it to be absolute truth.
Kinda like my government with there TSA and war on terror and "hey your neighbor may be a terrorist"

Sorry but people who kill them selfs because of what someone says is not the fault of the person who said it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Avyuir

Actually it does benefit some, it benefit the Doomsday Entrepreneurs, they are reaping profits selling their doomsdays paraphernalia as we speak, this include churches, writers and Scholars.

This people looks for current events to match bible prophecies and then proceed to write about the relevant of the issue, then they sell this analysis or information to those willing to pay for it.

That's true, but I meant if the world were seriously ending, reminding people over and over wouldn't do much good. People wouldn't really benefit because even if they made a great profit, they're going to die lol.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by randyvs

You are right it is difficult to prosecute somebody on presumable fault or deeds, but those that are the leaders of those that will commit suicide should be scrutinized, after all it is under of many of this false prophets spells that people die in numbers, specially cult leaders.

Oh I absolutely agree with your good intentions of this thread Darlin. But this is a ketch 22 all the way down the line. In the end as long as there are sheeple and carismatic leaders leading. You have the potential for a tragic
outcome. Society is actually producing people who just want out of this physical existence. Heavens Gate.
The very title is suggestive of what happened. You nailed it yourself when you said false prophet. I think someone warned us about them ? Oh that's right, J.C. Anyway the people of Doh's congregation were looking for a way out. They all had money and were still very unhappy . They were all very willing to go any way they could.
No UFO ? Still so sick of living they weren't about to stick around. Just a means to an end. Most of the time the
person you are angry at is dead too .

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Just as soon as i get back from the rapture i'm suing all of the profiteers who create , distribute and sell violent video games that turns everyone into mass murderers , everyone i tell ya , everyone . I feel zero sorrow for weak minded idiots who buy the books , quit the jobs , watch the videos and even kill themselves over a non-event . A sucker born every minute and two to take him and i have a slight admiration for those who can shear the sheep and make a bundle . Lots of cash going to be made the closer we get to 2012 and by 2013 the hucksters will be living large on some beautiful island with a vault full of cash . Nobody will ever be better than the Reverand Jim Jones . He convinced over 900 people to hand over their welfare checks , move to South America and drink the Kool Aid . Heavens Gate was a close runner up . How about all of the psychics , soothsayers , fortune tellers and remote viewers right on this site ? Where are they ? I can tell everyone , and have that we'll be here now and we'll be here in 2013 and i have no lucid dreams or psychic ability . A hoax feeding hoaxes but if the shallow end of the gene pool gets cleansed with idiots jumping off bridges or shooting themselves , who am i to complain . Useless and unproductive eaters .

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

yup i totally agree kill all who promote this mass hysteria its absolute nonsense and there is no scientific proof behind any of it

its just chicken little crap and boy who cried wolf nonsense

i would go a step farther then just sentencing the people who made these claims to death

i would also charge the news media and outlets that give these idiots their voices

we have severe things to deal with in our country and the world and for these people to be spending time on nonsense while ignoring the real problems is a serious crime against humanity

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

yup i totally agree kill all who promote this mass hysteria its absolute nonsense and there is no scientific proof behind any of it

its just chicken little crap and boy who cried wolf nonsense

i would go a step farther then just sentencing the people who made these claims to death

i would also charge the news media and outlets that give these idiots their voices

we have severe things to deal with in our country and the world and for these people to be spending time on nonsense while ignoring the real problems is a serious crime against humanity

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The Earth is better off without the fools who kill themselves over false predictions.
Does no one accept responsibility for their own action anymore? If you kill yourself over someone else's prediction based on myth, then it's your fault you're dead.

Are the people spreading mass hysteria good? No way, but they couldn't do anything without followers.

Same goes for war. Yeah, a leader can declare war, but it's the soldiers who kill. Without the soldiers there would be no war.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I do not believe people should be prosecuted. For what? Speaking their beliefs? Exercising their First Amendment rights? No, sorry. I strongly support the First Amendment's Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech. The government should not interfere.

Anyone who buys into this has already got some issues going on. And I firmly believe in personal responsibility. If a person gets all wrapped up in this fantasy and then commits suicide, it is that person who is responsible. Many of us manage to write off these crazy predictions and roll our eyes as the 'believers' play out their fantasy, so it's not like these predictions sway everyone. Only those who are looking for something to believe in or need some drama in their lives or something else is lacking.

Each of us needs to figure out how to get along and survive in this life. If someone decide it's not worth living, for whatever reason, that is THEIR responsibility.

I didn't know there were ATS members who believed this nonsense, but I guess I should have suspected. There are people who believe in all sorts of strange things. But my words are not responsible for what you do and vice versa.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I think people prophesing earthquakes and natural disasters should be punished in some form. False warnings about tornado's and earthquakes and tsunamis goes a long why In undermining policies governments have implemented in the case of natural disasters.

ETA: I guess my reply was slightly off topic, but people who commit suicide probably have more serious underlying issues
than believing in the end of the world... fix it damnit, the world probably won't end in our lifetimes anyway.

edit on 21-5-2011 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDevilOfLies

Media is a business supplying to what people want to hear, people will always be obsessed with the end of the world, been like that since the world started, for everything we know that has a start has and ending.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join