It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday promoters should be prosecuted for mass end of time suicides

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It seems that at least someone was taken away; the Family radio-website is still down. I'm really looking forward to 2013, people who want to predict doom and bad news will have to find another excuse.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Half of the problem we have with this whole world is no body is responsible for them selfs! We need to stop blaming everyone else for the actions of others.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Saying that a rogue planetary body or sun might cause destruction is fine, but to put a date and time to it especially when putting a name to it, like saying God will come or Jesus will come then, is wrong...

Otherwise, the Gestapo will go after anyone who is deemed a 'survivalist' and shut down legitimate concerns.

We need to follow the money but I have a feeling any following of the money in this particular case will be shut down in the interests of 'National security' especially since the media was pushing this garbage pretty hard.

Here's a clue for ya.

This whole thing may have been a psyops operation to water down legitimate concerns for the true 'big day'
edit on 21-5-2011 by star in a jar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I can only think of one situation in which it would be both legally and morally right to prosecute someone for spreading an end of the world belief that causes a suicide. That scenario would be if the person spreading the rumor knows for a fact that he or she is spreading a false rumor...for instance: If I said that a comet was going to hit the Earth tomorrow and that I knew this for a fact, but in fact, I had just made it all up. Most people are spreading such Ideas based on flimsy pseudoscience, or is based on some loose interpretation of some prophecy or another....no way to prove that they know such things are lies.
edit on 21-5-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: changed the wording a bit

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Exactly, if the bible already say that not man knows the day why the prophecies and lies then, is nothing but exploiting the gullible and trusting believer.

That should be a crime.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Exactly many people that commit suicide are going do it anyway, they just need a reason to hurry up and finishing with life faster.

edit on 21-5-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I didn't know there were ATS members who believed this nonsense, but I guess I should have suspected. There are people who believe in all sorts of strange things. But my words are not responsible for what you do and vice versa.

You need to spend more time in the 2012 and any religious forum, The preaching prior to may 21 prediction of the rapture will leave you with your mouth wide open in amazement.

Is going to get worst as the 2012 gets closer.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I heard he is worth 120 million dollars, is this true?? wtf

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
At the end we survive the Rapture, is May 21 we are still here, I have no problem with feasible predictions that can be verified by data, pictures or else.

But anything that has not bases but the opinion of the one expressing them should be forced to wear a warning sign.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck

Are you serious? We might as well start by prosecuting Superman illustrators and cartoonists for all the injuries and deaths incurred by kids jumping off roofs and bunkbeds.

Anyone dumb enough to off themselves because of a prophesy unfulfilled probably deserves it. If it wasn't this prophesy that pushed them over the edge then it will be the next.

You say "their lies are killing people"; no, the idiots are offing themselves. Even those idiots have reasonable thought, they just choose not to use it, which is totally within their rights.

If what your proposing does transpire, anything fiction will be illegal.

Thought crimes. Don't forget those. They'll have thought reading machines at every checkpoint.

At first it will start with our emotions. They'll identify conditions in criminals. They'll have you on a list. They'll take aside anyone that shows anomalous activity in the wrong areas of the brain and is showing other strange activity. Then they'll start predicting crimes before they happen. This is all within the realm of possibility once we understand the brain and can emulate it in software. By then a lot of our devices will be interfaced almost directly with our minds.

You're right, btw. This would all be fun if it weren't real. Makes good fiction.

Remember, it's all for our protection. Our childrens children will be more accepting of it. They'll grow up with brain reading devices. They won't be afraid of it. We'll be hostile and too old to change it. We'll be on the sidelines watching as the world changes slowly into a nightmare.

By then some old people will decline longevity drugs/services in favor of dying sooner.
edit on 21-5-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
These "end of the world" predictions are getting more and more ridiculous ...and it`s "prophets" either are lunatic crazy guys or have donation buttons on their websites/blogs

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
MARG6043,

I understand your intentions here may be good in that you want to help others, especially those who have trouble helping themselves. That is noble of you and so I want to point that out first. However, your emotions have blocked out your ability to reason correctly, at least in my opinion.

Using your rationale on this issue would we not also have to prosecute everyone who promotes an anti-gay agenda since there have been many suicides by those who felt being gay was so wrong they ended their lives. Or those individuals who for many many years now have promoted the idea that if you're not one of the beautiful/successful people in the world that you have no value to society? How many suicides have ideas like that caused?

You see, there are way too many bad ideas out there that others get swept up in to believing that in the end make them feel as if death is the only answer. You cannot rid the world of bad ideas by trying to root out the creators and/or their disciples, as that too is a bad idea itself in that it is against freedom of speech and freedom of imagination.

As others have said, we must STOP blaming others for our own inability to govern ourselves. Regardless of what event takes place I am not a Victim until I make the choice to be. THEY lose control of US when WE take control of OURSELVES.
edit on 21-5-2011 by mOjOm because: TYPO

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The direct link between prediction and suicide would be difficult to prove, even if the depression leading to the act was caused by the prediction being fraudulent. However - speaking of being fraudulent - I do believe that where there is clear evidence of soliciting donations or other monetary benefit at the expense of those following such failed predictions, charges of fraud should ensue.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

If thats the case all religiouse individuals should be exicuted for murders over the years because of the belief in god and whats been imagined to be rite and wrong, at least the people who believe the world will end based on scientific facts have proof!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I haven't read all of the replys to this posting, So maybe it has already been mentioned. The networks would be just as responsible in my opinion. The discovery channel has numerous shows on the the end of human life and the world without us, Probably more conditioning for depopulation than anything else. They also do the whole 2012 hysteria bit on Discovery. The Global warming fear mongering can be just as bad. My Daughter was watching Hannah Montana saying Blah blah blah...if global warming doesn't kill me first. Even the fake war on terror, how many elderly people supposedly died from the terror alert levels on TV during the Bush years. But in my opinion, as far as the networks or anybody else peddling the end of the world hysteria, it would be putting a foot down on free speech in a sense. So I think everyone should be intelligent enough not to fall for all of this stuff. I listen to Alex Jones once in a while, but not as much as I used to, for the fact that worrying too much and taking in a steady constant flow of negative energy, or anything that can create negative energy can possibly affect your health ( which most of you know anyway). I always keep a a few grains of salt with me when taking in any information, wether it be from Alex or even this website. So I think there is some sacrifice, and strain we put on ourselves to experience the somewhat exciting journey through the rabbit hole to try and get closer to the truth. I can't wait when 2013 arrives and people are out of their life savings because they spent it on their underground bunker...lol. Although I am a fence sitter on the 2012 issue. Depending on how much technology the government has, wether it is Haarp or a man made plague (H1N1 Beta test??)...etc, It is a good chance or window of opportunity for the government to depopulate and blame it on mother nature.
edit on 21-5-2011 by squad51 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2011 by squad51 because: Grammer

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
If there was such a thing as the rapture I doubt this preacher would be going anywhere.
Someone said he is worth millions of dollars, what does Jesus say.."It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man enter the kingdom of God.

This man preys on the weak and vunerable, should he be prosecuted imo no...but...maybe he should not have been given air time or been permitted to advertise as he did.
Don't adverts have to pass a standards committee in the US as they do in the UK? Would have been interesting to see whether these billboard ads would have been allowed here in the UK.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
If people commit suicide due to some prediction on the web, or even some ancient prophesy - I call that good news, we are thinning the human race of stupidity.

Humanity needs a bit more natural selection - I am seeing more and more idiots everyday.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
People have to many attention deficit disorders or something. If someone says the world will end on May 21, some will go with God others will parish, then what would the point be for quiting your job and selling your house? Your job and your house would be irrelevant if the event did happen. The money you made from selling your house would be irrelevant.

I find it hilarious that this guy takes donations and made over $17million. If he really believed today would be the day then all that money is useless. Are people that stupid? $17million says they are...

Mr Camping was raised a Baptist and belongs to the religious Right. He boasts tens of thousands of followers around the world and speaks to them through his Family Radio Network, which has made about $17 million in donations alone.

Source
edit on 21-5-2011 by jaydeePNW because: spelling

edit on 21-5-2011 by jaydeePNW because: spelling

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Natural selection works for me. Should we blame car makers for me killing myself at 200 kilometers an hour, after all cars can go that fast, or should we blame the idiot doing that speed I wonder, let natural selection have its way, its worked for thousands of years, we already have enough infective rules and are over legislated as it is. I am just gutted all the so called good people didn't leave last night, so that the rest of us can get some peace and bring back some reality to our lives. Hopefully next time.

Perhaps the rapture did happen and the God dude decided that there was no one worth taking lol.
edit on 21-5-2011 by marsend because: minor addition

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I believe that if someone is stupid enough to believe in such idiotic predictions and even commit suicide because of them, then they deserve what they get.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join