It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islands in the stream: The extraordinary homemade dams holding back the Mississippi.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Honestly! Who the hell cares how they saved their homes or why? The fact that so many of you have focused on this crap shows me that there's no hope left for us as a species. Either you're rich and powerful or poor and stupid (with few exceptions, you know who you are and there is no need to respond calling me an arsehole, as your words will fall on deaf ears [literally lol])
edit on 20/5/2011 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Nothing to go ape about... just a good, logical initiative for areas threatened by this kind of environmental problem.

What about simply building your next house on a little man-made hill? Solves the problem, and gives you a better view on the horizon!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying

I am not sure why others are saying these are rich homes..I see only one home that actually looks "rich"..I think it's awesome that people found the means to try and save their property instead of just waiting for the water to come in and take their homes away. Thanks so much for posting this..it is amazing to see from above! I hope those dams hold.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
Nothing to go ape about... just a good, logical initiative for areas threatened by this kind of environmental problem.

What about simply building your next house on a little man-made hill? Solves the problem, and gives you a better view on the horizon!

Great idea but Louisiana = no hills

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Cue the patriotic theme country music. Wag the dog.

These are photos of DESPERATE people taking desperate MEASURES because the economy is failing, the government is failing, the levees are failing, our country is failing.

I don't understand the fascination with what these people did. They bought some dirt, paid a bulldozer to build a berm around their house....and people are getting teary eyed over this?

Sorry, but this isn't man or Americans triumphing over nature. Nature is kicking our butts. For every "island home" you see photographed, there are 1000 homes that are getting destroyed.

Are we supposed to feel that those unfortunate ones are less "patriotic"?? Screw that.

This is no time to fool ourselves.
edit on 20-5-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Amazing what can happen to an innocent thread when you let hate enter :-|

I never stated anyone was a hero, I never stated that they built these dams by hand, I never stated that Americans are better than anyone else, I never said that these people were not rich or poor... What I did say was that I am proud of them and they are great Americans because they didn't sit around waiting for the government to come in and save their homes.

And for this I and others that agreed with me have been attacked, mocked and made fun of, the homeowners have been classified as greedy, lazy, rich people that don't care about anyone but themselves. WTH?

Crazy times we live in.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I too share your pride. This is about Americans relying on themselves, pulling themselves up by their own boot straps, not relying on Big Brother, or rather Big Nanny. It shows that rugged individualism and optimism, not just emotional optimism, but making the best of your situation, is still alive and well in this country (at least during a crises, when it counts most), and that perhaps we aren't as screwed as we thought we were.

Even if they did pay someone to build those dams, they obviously had the balls and intelligence to go out and make a fortune to be able to afford it, or their families did and they inherited it, and they come from the same stock, so to speak. I never did understand why crabs in the bottom of the barrel want to pull down the crabs trying to climb out of the barrel as opposed to just following the ones climbing out.
edit on 20-5-2011 by Masinger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I think that's the point all these doom and gloom threads ignore... Tragedy brings out the worst in us, BUT ALSO the best!

Who sang 'a country boy can survive'? He was right.

In fact, not much will change in rural America if the entire Empire were to collapse. Back to horses, I guess.

If you want an example of how a community is supposed to be, get out into a one traffic light town. Look around, notice how everybody sticks together.

That kind of unity can survive anything.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dreams n chains

there is always a shovel and a wheelbarrow

so all is not lost for the poor people of the region

if they can afford to live in a real house , they surely can get a shovel and wheelbarrow... right?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Indeed. It is amazing how everything is misconstrued, twisted , beaten, then
It is manipulated to suit. It really is why people need to stop being ingorant, arrogant and uneducated

edit on 20-5-2011 by guessing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

This brought a tear to my eye, I am so proud of my fellow Americans today. This is the heart and soul of our country, these are the descendants of the greatest generation, I'm sure they are looking down and nodding in approval of these great Americans. They didn't beg for help from the Federal or state government, they didn't sit around and complain and cry "why me?", NO, they rolled up their sleeves and got to work. Let this be an example to us all. Here is to you my fellow Americans! so proud of you...

In fairness, whilst the photo's of the home-owners protecting their properties are impressive, the wording of your OP is quite jingoistic, I am sure that other nations that have experienced natural disasters have also "pulled together" .

Maybe you should have focused more on the human aspect of survival (with or without wealth) rather than insinuate that this is an"American" trait.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

This brought a tear to my eye, I am so proud of my fellow Americans today. This is the heart and soul of our country, these are the descendants of the greatest generation, I'm sure they are looking down and nodding in approval of these great Americans. They didn't beg for help from the Federal or state government, they didn't sit around and complain and cry "why me?", NO, they rolled up their sleeves and got to work. Let this be an example to us all. Here is to you my fellow Americans! so proud of you...

In fairness, whilst the photo's of the home-owners protecting their properties are impressive, the wording of your OP is quite jingoistic, I am sure that other nations that have experienced natural disasters have also "pulled together" .

Maybe you should have focused more on the human aspect of survival (with or without wealth) rather than insinuate that this is an"American" trait.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Never said other countries don't have these traits. If they were Canadians I would have said "These are great Canadians" for heaven's sakes guys!

This reminds me of when you give a woman a compliment and her friend thinks "what am I chopped liver?"

Alot of low self esteem floating around I guess.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

LOL......not at all!........It's just that in my opinion, if this were happening in another country, maybe you wouldn't be singing their praises quite so highly.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
This is what free human beings do. They do not wait for the government. They organize themselves and deal with the problem at hand.

I'm pretty sure none of these houses are owned by any Democrat/republican supporters, but are owned by free thinking people who rejects the lie of the two parties.

link   
reply to post by Argyll

If this were happening in another country, she probably would not have even heard about it, to be fair.
Its amazing how a simple, heartfelt sentiment can be misinterpeted twenty ways from Sunday.

Doesn't give one much hope that the Bible is the true 'word' of God, does it?

S & F, OP.

link   
reply to post by DarylHamblett

The SCOTUS has made it clear time and time again, the government has no obligation to protect anyone

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

Doesn't give one much hope that the Bible is the true 'word' of God, does it?

What's the Bible got to do with it?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
A mistranslation of the original intent, so easily possible in so short a passage, it makes one wonder what must have happened to the original Pentateuch. A digression, to be sure.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by i am just saying

Originally posted by Argyll

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Never said other countries don't have these traits. If they were Canadians I would have said "These are great Canadians" for heaven's sakes guys!

This reminds me of when you give a woman a compliment and her friend thinks "what am I chopped liver?"

You know where you went wrong? You dared say " Your proud of your fellow Americans." That's all wrong today Now if you said something like " I'm so disgusted by those evil Americans for defying our government and saving their homes." then they'd be happy. Sad, but that seems to be the way things are any more.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by i am just saying
This brought a tear to my eye, I am so proud of my fellow Americans today. This is the heart and soul of our country, these are the descendants of the greatest generation, I'm sure they are looking down and nodding in approval of these great Americans.
They didn't beg for help from the Federal or state government, they didn't sit around and complain and cry "why me?", NO, they rolled up their sleeves and got to work. Let this be an example to us all.

Here is to you my fellow Americans!

so proud of you...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Very nice, I like that the people are fighting for their homes like this.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join