It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islands in the stream: The extraordinary homemade dams holding back the Mississippi.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This new religion called "Americanism" needs to stop, its cool to be patriotic but blah I wish people would stop acting like the people of the US are some kind of gods to be revered, its disgusting. The folks that could afford it went to great lengths to save their homes, cool we got it. That is sincerely awesome and the pictures are amazing in context, but that doesn't make them heroes to be worshipped like some people here are doing. Having money doesn't equate to be being "better" than others like a lot of you are suggesting, otherwise George W. Bush is better than every single person here... I've seen people say "...unlike the Katrina victims who waited for the government to help them..."

What did you expect them to do? Pack up their non-existent cars and drive away? New Orleans had the highest poverty rate in the country at the time and the government itself admitted that had the levees been up to standard and not built solely with the thought of saving money in construction, Katrina would have been a windy ankle wetter at most. So its the victimes fault the government short-cutted to save money and then didn't even give warning that the levees were subpar?? Stop being blind hypocrites.

Kudos to those that had thousands of dollars to spare to build a custom dam but get off of their d*cks. The real heroes are the ones that knew they were about to lose everything but still spent hours tossing backbreaking sandbags to help others that still had a chance. If you want to "honor" someone, find out who they were and make a repost.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I know some homeowners that created their own earthworks did so to save their home.... laws be damned about permits/authorization to do so. Those people are in an extreme situation, with the government having pretty much left them to their fate. I would also do whatever possible to save my home in that situation. Calling them heroes? Well, I wouldn't call it just that... certainly they are displaying some bravery in trying to resist the rising waters.

And while I can't see beneath the waters to know for sure if they brought in all that dirt to the site or just dug the earth up out of their property... it takes ALOT of heavy machinery to move that dirt or large crew to try and shovel all of that. Either you got about $15,000 or alot of friends with heavy equipment to lend you.

Overall tragic situation down their and I hope people will pull through this time.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying

I am aware of the causes of the flooding in the area in question. However, what I am saying is that the correct approach is to make areas which are prone to flooding proof against its dangers, rather than to flood great swathes of normaly un touched land.

That said, many lives and many billions of dollars of property, business, and livelihoods have been saved by the actions taken by the authorities. The unfortunate side effect of the water spilling over into normaly unflooded territories is the trade off. Realisticaly speaking the government of both the area and the nation, cannot allow the areas of New Orleans and Baton Rouge to flood, without being accused of systematic failiure to take care of the residents, who have already suffered and awful lot from natural disasters.

Frankly, a failiure to deal with this situation, to protect the people of New Orleans from this incident, would have resulted in absolute chaos, the like of which hasnt been seen since Katrina came blowing through. If you are seriously suggesting that the correct way to deal with the risk that this flood poses to New Orleans , is to sit back and watch the most vibrant and crazy place on the planet drown AGAIN, then I dread to think what the hell is wrong with your priorities.

Fact is , human lives are being saved RIGHT NOW by the action taken at the spill way. We find it too easy these days , to forget the errors of the past, and far to easy to forget what really matters. What really matters most, ALL that matters in this situation, is keeping people alive. The very SECOND people start prioritising property loss on a relatively small scale, over lives, is the moment we may as well push the button, and burn ourselves from the face of the planet with nuclear weapons.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
these home owners didn't have flood insurance?

it would be foolish for someone to pay homeowners insurance
and then on top of that cost... to fund thos extreme examples of engineering to
keep the home from the rising waters ---

just so the mortgage bank will benefit ?

our house is family owned, clear title, no encumberances/liens/mortgages, etc

but we'd be hardpressed to engage in those extraordinary measures shown in the series of pics...

i'd go as far a wrapping the house in a strong poly up to 10 feet high
and gluing the seams.... as a kind of prophylactic thing

that can be deployed then removed quickly (~lets say a 8 hour effort)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It's actually humans themselves that are genius - really - we can do all sorts of great things when our mind is set to great things.

I like to see stuff like this - and hate to see the great human mind turned to war and destruction, and petty control of others.

I'm very glad that those that could save their homes were able to. Wish others could have too.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Some of the coolest images I've ever seen

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Humans Winning!

Walking to the shops will never be a chore again

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Listen how you people talk to each other! Such dis-respect for one another! Telling others to shut up! That is SOOO darn rude! My child gets in trouble for telling other people to shut up...so disrespectful. I can't believe that Humans do this crap to each other! Yes...everyone has their own point of view...but no one wants to see any ones side to anything but their own...once again even more proof of the division that keeps us divided as a whole, and its pretty sad that something horrific has to happen for people to UNITE and have compassion and Love each other....for whom they are not their own personal beliefs!

Anywhoo....I love you all anyway...no matter what your opinions are, i have my own...and there are points on both sides of these threads that i agree with and yet disagree with! There is always someone who is not pleased with something there is no making everyone happy!

Peace

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Great post! These images are amazing. Its incredible what people can do when challenged. If we only put this much energy and effort into overthrowing and reorganizing our government!!!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Wow, that's truly amazing.
Kind of makes me want to go out and buy a bulldozer..

America!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well, they had the money and land to do so, good for them! Nice images and happy to see people standing for themselves as such, However, others, without resources, should not be ignored or put down. Next time they know to prepare if they can.
edit on 20-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: fixed

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It does not matter how many times you try to close it.
If you look closely, you will see that 'The-Door-Swings-Both-Ways'

Nonsense and childish bickering. Pure Gibberish. All of it.

Honestly, I do not know who first used the word 'hero' in this thread, but I do know how it has been used the most frequent.

Over and over "These people are not heroes!!!" ~~wash~rinse~repeat~~
Ok, fine, they are not heroes. Accepted.

They also are not evil, lazy, greedy, rich, spoiled, punks- Based solely on the fact that they wanted to save their dam house. Maybe they are ^^^that and much worse, but if they are, find another dam reason to degrade these people.

It does not matter what brought them to this exact location, or to this exact time in their lives. That is completely irrelevant. It is ridiculous to look down upon them for trying to protect their livelihood.

edit on 5/20/11 by BrokenCircles because: bbcode

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Those with the means and that foresee something like this flood coming, will have the foresight and means to avert, or better there chances. Those without the means and foresight will not see it coming, and even if they did would not have the means to better there chances. Really thats all it is, I mean the pictures are cool and all but all of us if we were in there situation and could do the same would do the same to save our homes if it was within our means.

Though the real problem I see with this whole "incident" is that I heard because of all the flood water and diversion of the rivers/levies to alleviate pressures lots of farmland's got flooded, and i would take a guess on who will be there to buy up those lands after the floods go away for cheep. And I am sure they can afford to build some high wall's in case this would happen again once they buy up the farmlands. Yup your friendly neighborhood giant corporation to the rescue to clean up the mess.

All in all good for them they did the right thing, having your house in a couple of feet of water cant be good, and cool pictures. That is all.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
OMG I'm CRYING RIGHT NOW... AMERICANS ARE SO BRAVE AND GOD-LIKE....

AMURRICA F**** YEARRRRRR

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Under Water
Wow, you really are a know-it-all aren't you.

If you live in the sticks in cajun country, you probably know someone with a tractor. I myself know several, and I live in the city. Oh and you will find no basements down here. Go ahead and dig a few feet into the ground, all you'll find is water. Your just going to have to admit that what you are preaching here is your opinion, nothing more. And it's a real messed up attitude to take on right now, considering that people are trying to help themselves instead of expecting someone else to help them. And I'm sorry, but there's not many "wealthy" people living in the areas that got flooded. These are mostly poor communities, and farmers.

A tractor is a completely different thing compared to a bulldozer used to compact soil. and if they used a tractor such as a farm type it would take too long they would still be moving dirt.

poor communities and farmers? are you implying farmers are poor?

its good you know people with tractors ever own one ever spend 8hrs a day on a bulldozer?

well I have an this is fact not my opinion which i have backed up with evidence and my experience all you have brought are insults because you don't like my observations.

Originally posted by -W1LL
this is addressed to all those claiming I am speculating or making assumptions which you are ALL hypocritically doing yourselves.
Wrong.

It is possible that both sides are correct. It is impossible to accurately reach a correct conclusion, that summarizes each and every residence, from only looking at aerial photographs.

Here is the way I see it-
It is very likely that some, possibly even many, of these dams and/or levees were built by a paid crew. That does not mean all of them were. Those few, that got out there, and did it themselves, do not deserve to be bad-mouthed by someone who just wants to show his anger, and pretend that he knows everything.

Even if only ONE man did it himself, then that ONE man deserves to be praised, and not belittled by you, or anyone else, that chooses to look down upon them, without knowing all of the details.

would you please bring some evidence as to why I am wrong in stead of preaching your word like its gospel.

again to clarify my last post Dirt work is my job, I am not belittling anyone sorry you take offense.

bottom line I dont expect our Gov to spoon feed US citizens...

but when I PAY my Gov to do a Job I expect it to get done. the Gov failed and citizens had to pay with their own money to save their homes....

you may want to look at the bright side of this story but I see that as ignorance.

there are no heroes here only people making due with what they have because their local Gov failed them.
sorry if you dont like the truth but thats it.
Engineers have known this was a problem for more than 15years and NOTHING has been done about it.

next time someone wants to tell me I am wrong please bring some evidence that what i stated is not true.
this is becoming childish and like another poster said just adds to the division of us as people.

I love you all no matter what, no hate from me, and i am hurt at all the hate being flung like baboons in a cage.
edit on 5/20/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I don't know what this has to do with the government...Ok, you don't like the government. We get it.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
These photos are of the homes of people with the money to, saving their homes, good for them. I don't feel there is anything heroic about that. I hope that is not what people think is heroic, I agree take care of what is yours but I consider that common sense, responsibility etc. I feel like heroic actions are such as the guy who caught a boat, got it started then shuttled over 200 people to higher ground during Katrina. Of course these are all my opinions.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
If the people cannot trust their government to do the job for which it exists - to protect them and to promote their common welfare - all else is lost.
Barack Obama

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

would you please bring some evidence as to why I am wrong in stead of preaching your word like its gospel.

next time someone wants to tell me I am wrong please bring some evidence that what i stated is not true.

I am unsure what religion has to do with it.

We have seen a few aerial pics. From these few pics, you have reached your own verdict. You are stating this as an absolute certainty. That is just not possible. There are too many factors that are unknown, at this time.

There is no evidence for me to provide, since there are many different possibilities. I never said that none of them had paid to have it built. I am sure that some, and maybe many, did pay to get it built for them. That does not mean they all did. Those that did build it themselves, do not deserve to be disrespected in this manner.

there are no heroes here
Then why do you keep using that word? I called nobody a hero.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie_lizzie79

Listen how you people talk to each other! Such dis-respect for one another! Telling others to shut up! That is SOOO darn rude! My child gets in trouble for telling other people to shut up...so disrespectful. I can't believe that Humans do this crap to each other! Yes...everyone has their own point of view...but no one wants to see any ones side to anything but their own...once again even more proof of the division that keeps us divided as a whole, and its pretty sad that something horrific has to happen for people to UNITE and have compassion and Love each other....for whom they are not their own personal beliefs!

Anywhoo....I love you all anyway...no matter what your opinions are, i have my own...and there are points on both sides of these threads that i agree with and yet disagree with! There is always someone who is not pleased with something there is no making everyone happy!

Peace

Ya I hear ya. To be honest with you that's the whole reason why I pretty much don't bother to post anything anymore, even if I know that my thoughts would be useful. I know that some lameduck would just point out some stupid grammatical error or something. I do have alot of respect for you being able to still say that last little bit, but I've honestly lost my patience with these people. Too much damn bickering.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join