It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islands in the stream: The extraordinary homemade dams holding back the Mississippi.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying

Nice to see Americans doing a bit of work for once instead of the usual precision bombing in distant countries

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Haha I would love to live in one of those houses!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Thatwhit

Do you mind if i ask where your from that way i can tell if you should be speaking German, Japanize, or Russian.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer
reply to post by Thatwhit

Do you mind if i ask where your from that way i can tell if you should be speaking German, Japanize, or Russian.

omg! best "shut the hell up" ever!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Regardless of whether the small communities built those to protect eachother or just a rich family trying to save their homes, its still inspiring to see people basically putting two fingers up to the goverment and not relying on them by taking matters into their owns hands and dealing with it.

Thanks to the OP for posting this

Edit:- Imagine how many more homes would of been lost if they hadn't of took matters into their own hands?
edit on 23-5-2011 by Artaire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

You're a troll. And I sure ain't feedin ya

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

I said it because I don't think it is heroic when the OP and multiple people have called it such. Duh.....

I'll say what I please, k thx

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

You're a troll. And I sure ain't feedin ya

Not only is that completely inaccurate, but that is also one of the weakest attempts of a rebuttal that I have ever read. You made an ignorant statement, attacking the OP, based on falsified fabricated evidence.

With this comment, I showed you the undeniable proof, that your comment was not substantiated. You don't have to prove to me that you were wrong, I already know it. Just admit it to yourself. If you do, you may be able to lose some of this rage.

I am sure that this puny attempt of an attack, was probably only made with the hopes of regaining some sort of self-esteem. Well, I am sorry, but that just don't sit right with me. Unless you can make another comment, that contains a minute amount of intelligence to support your argument against me, then there is no need to reply at all. I will not waste another reply back at your next feeble attempt.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think the most wonderful thing about this incident is that rather than twiddling thier thumbs,the government actualy did something to save New Orleans,rather than screwing it over, yet again.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

amazing

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
It's neat to see that some folks have the means to win against the odds. But honestly, these berms should have been built first many years ago, and then homes and garages placed on top. These places have a history, and flooding is part of the natural cycle. It's why farming has always been good along the Mississippi and other Midwestern rivers. (Going back before artificial fertilizing and the such was used heavily. Also the natives in Cahokia had the right idea... Waay way back. What, you thought those mounds were just ceremonial or for burials? At some point many also had earthen or wood structures on top, but those didn't stand the test of time.)

The failure not seen which others may have mentioned... (How many pages is it now?) Why the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers allows houses to be built in a known flood plain in densities greater than the occasional rural farm house, why such houses get gov't insured to repeat the process in another 5 to 10 years, the real estate industry's involvement, and the revolving door politics which may be related. But I guess that's another topic in its own right. (Then again people rarely ever build hurricane/tornado or fireproof where those natural phenomena are likely to hit on a regular basis too. And money is wasted plopping down the same crap again and again, even though we have the smarts and civil-engineering know-how to make such disasters into something much more manageable.)

But back on topic. A thumbs up to those that could pull this off without breaking the bank or having some form of red-tape get in the way. After the blizzards in January and February saturating the ground table, it shouldn't have been too hard to know that this was coming sooner or later.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Too often Americans forget what made us a super power - self reliance. The Missippi floods, Tornados hit Joplin, Katrina, St. Helens, all our disasters all Americans doing for ourselves. No foreign aid, nada. I wish we could just fix the government.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mantarey

I think that although theres plenty wrong with government , no matter where in the world you are, in this instance you have to admit that the government of the US has at least been proactive in dealing with the potential danger to mass population centers which this flood represented prior to thier actions at the spillway?
Surely it cannot be said that the government were slow to react here?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Nice if you live in a Mansion and can afford it I guess.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

Star and Flag

We never see this type of information in the MSM because it might think we could make it with out the nanny state

Umm, those are all images FROM the MSM.

And those people are very lucky to have access to resources to PAY to have those levees constructed around their very expensive homes.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
So explain to me what the difference is between some companies sending in their equipment, building dikes and then having to split the costs (which btw, if you read the article, is money spent in order to keep from losing more money by not being able to operate with their businesses under water, not some altruistic endeavor, the good done to the community is a side effect of them saving their own butts), and the army corp coming in and doing the same, and everyone sharing the costs in that our tax monies pay for this sort of thing?

How are the people in the communities doing anything at all other than reaping the benefits of the work that these companies must do to keep in business? How is this in any way an example of Calvinist work ethics?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

The same thing is happening in North Dakota right now. With the Missouri river being at record levels, many of the dikes and berms built years ago aren't sufficient to hold back the water. Too, with the high winds we have been having, the wave action wreaks havoc with them.

My husband's company, along with a couple of other companies all got together and decided to help their fellow man a couple of days ago, giving up their time with family, and in many cases, sleep, to help folks out. My husband in particular, worked a full day (12+ hours), drove 3+ hours to Minot, ND,worked another 12 hours,(overnight) and made the long trip home to our normal work site. The companies donated the equipment necessary, the materials necessary and the hours necessary to complete the project. The same thing is going on in Bismarck, ND, also on the Missouri river.

This doesn't benefit the companies involved. It's just the community banding together to save everyone's butts.

Hi-5 to those who have chosen to contribute to the solution!! It's nice to know that our northern plains values still hold true.

Peace!
SK
edit on 6/3/2011 by SweetKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tyrson

Hey Ya TYSON; You're a very inteillgent, no nonesense person,and I have to say that's
very very groovy Combo! ~I like what you said, how you said it, as well!
Here,Here!
If only more people thought a few .00001 percentile more logically,based on what is shown them in action and view, I can only imagine the FLOOD of Americans standing up for our Constitutional, and Existence-given *Free-Will!
You Rock. wish you'd be my 1st AST,"friend", any chance?I'm 50,married happily 15 years. Just got a new labrador puppy, have currently broken ribs from a Very smal(going less than 5 miles an hour Cycle accident;the Mud thre me ab 5 ft.LOL! Lucky just broken ribs!
With Best Wishes for peace, freedom, and healthy-smiles!~Shelly Bell

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join