Islands in the stream: The extraordinary homemade dams holding back the Mississippi.

page: 1
116
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
+98 more 
posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
This brought a tear to my eye, I am so proud of my fellow Americans today. This is the heart and soul of our country, these are the descendants of the greatest generation, I'm sure they are looking down and nodding in approval of these great Americans.
They didn't beg for help from the Federal or state government, they didn't sit around and complain and cry "why me?", NO, they rolled up their sleeves and got to work. Let this be an example to us all.

Here is to you my fellow Americans!


so proud of you...













www.dailymail.co.uk...




posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Thanks OP star and flag!

True survivalists right there. Some people come into there own during disasters and these folks are prime examples, coupled with a little luck of course!



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying
 


bring on the false flag apocalypse, NWO. i think we can handle it.
great post.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
These are pretty cool. Wish they didn't have to do this, though. I wonder how long it took them to make.
I don't quite understand the whole deal with the plastic. The plastic seems to me that it would be useless.
Good Post.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying
 


Star and Flag

We never see this type of information in the MSM because it might think we could make it with out the nanny state



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
its cool to see but sadly I dont see a home owner doing any work except for spending cash to build those Dykes,

A crew was paid to come in and build those berms might only take a day or 2 with trucks bringing dirt in.

its sad that our tax dollars are so misspent that private citizens must spend their own money to fix an easily solved problem that is anything but new...



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnaChispa
These are pretty cool. Wish they didn't have to do this, though. I wonder how long it took them to make.
I don't quite understand the whole deal with the plastic. The plastic seems to me that it would be useless.
Good Post.
I think it may help with the erosion of the earthen dam due to the moving water?
or maybe to stop seepage? I don't know, just taking guesses.
edit on 19-5-2011 by i am just saying because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by i am just saying

Originally posted by UnaChispa
These are pretty cool. Wish they didn't have to do this, though. I wonder how long it took them to make.
I don't quite understand the whole deal with the plastic. The plastic seems to me that it would be useless.
Good Post.
I think it may help with the erosion of the earthen dam due to the moving water?
or maybe to stop seepage? I don't know, just taking guesses.
edit on 19-5-2011 by i am just saying because: (no reason given)


youre right its to help water runoff without eroding the soil. cracks may have formed in some spots so they covered it with plastic.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
its cool to see but sadly I dont see a home owner doing any work except for spending cash to build those Dykes,

A crew was paid to come in and build those berms might only take a day or 2 with trucks bringing dirt in.

its sad that our tax dollars are so misspent that private citizens must spend their own money to fix an easily solved problem that is anything but new...
seriously?
that is what you got from this?


+39 more 
posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying
 


If I lived there... I would not be able to afford to buy a bulldozer/labor and have the land rights to pull up earth surrounding my little parcel of home. That does not make me any weaker or less ingenious than those that can afford such things. It only makes me a health-care worker that gets paid poorly in America.

Be proud of your fellow Americans... but not just those with money and means.


+5 more 
posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It is nice and courageous, but do not also forget to notice, these are wealthy homes. People who live there have the wealth and resources to save their homes. These are ALL machine made works, not just labor of the homeowners' hands and backs. Woe is average Joe without the gold for the backhoe. And the poor, well they are just simply f*ed.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by i am just saying

Originally posted by -W1LL
its cool to see but sadly I dont see a home owner doing any work except for spending cash to build those Dykes,

A crew was paid to come in and build those berms might only take a day or 2 with trucks bringing dirt in.

its sad that our tax dollars are so misspent that private citizens must spend their own money to fix an easily solved problem that is anything but new...
seriously?
that is what you got from this?



yes this is what i got from most all of the pics except for the one with the men in the boat along that plastic wall.

I used to work heavy equipment and dirt work I know what shoveling dirt all day every day feels like. and I know what a dump truck, loader and bulldozer can do,

it makes me sad to see that these Very nice large homes are saved when the trailer park in the same city was flooded, both are peoples homes Citizens who paid taxes to the Gov. to build levees dams and Dykes.

this flood should have been avoided, and I am tired of being scammed by my own Gov.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
It is nice and courageous, but do not also forget to notice, these are wealthy homes. People who live there have the wealth and resources to save their homes. These are ALL machine made works, not just labor of the homeowners' hands and backs. Woe is average Joe without the gold for the backhoe. And the poor, well they are just simply f*ed.
yeah...no, that house in the first picture is pretty modest.

You're missing the point of the thread and I am really surprised that I have to explain this to you guys.

The point is that these people didn't just complain and cry to the government for help and money and feel sorry for themselves, they did what comes naturally from Americans, they fought back.

where are you guys from?



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying
 


I get you're point I feel you are missing mine.

my point those homeowners paid someone to come in and build a wall. they used $ not their tractor or even a shovel from their shed.

2nd point - this was our governments JOB that is why we PAY taxes, and why the army core of engineers built the first dykes...


I agree those people stood up and did what they could to save their homes that is great for them...
sadly their triumph is only overshadowed by the FAILure of our own Gov and the drowning of countless homes.

edit on 5/19/2011 by -W1LL because: Loc. under my Avy



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
reply to post by i am just saying
 


I get you're point I feel you are missing mine.

my point those homeowners paid someone to come in and build a wall. they used $ not their tractor or even a shovel from their shed.
We don't know this, for all we know they borrowed a tractor from a friend or maybe they owned it?? the point is they got it done!


2nd point - this was our governments JOB that is why we PAY taxes, and why the army core of engineers built the first dykes...
Can't depend on the government to save you or prevent catastrophes, that is what happened during Katrina...people waited for the guvment to save them, these people are a different breed..



I agree those people stood up and did what they could to save their homes that is great for them...
sadly their triumph is only overshadowed by the FAILure of our own Gov and the drowning of countless homes.
Not disagreeing with you but the government had no choice here, they sacrificed a few to save many. They could not build earthen dams around every home, it would be impossible. Those that couldn't or wouldn't build them made a choice. Their first choice was moving into an area where they knew one day this may happen.

cheers


+12 more 
posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying
 


No, I think you miss the point entirely. These people had the means to deal with the problem by paying contractors. Stop acting like they are heroic saviors of the Republic. You want heroism, how about the man who lost his home to the flood, wrecked his truck rescuing other people and before that happened spent two weeks piling up sand bags, He was undemployed and did all that. THAT'S heroism, altruism and something to be proud of. I did not hear him whining either.

These rich people rescuing their own homes are not people to hold up as heroes for Christ's sake. How much you want to bet their neighbors next door are under water. Hey, they saved THEIR ASSES, f the rest. Then again, maybe you are right, selfishness at my neighbor's expense IS the new America.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
reply to post by i am just saying
 


No, I think you miss the point entirely. These people had the means to deal with the problem by paying contractors. Stop acting like they are heroic saviors of the Republic. You want heroism, how about the man who lost his home to the flood, wrecked his truck rescuing other people and before that happened spent two weeks piling up sand bags, He was undemployed and did all that. THAT'S heroism, altruism and something to be proud of. I did not hear him whining either.

These rich people rescuing their own homes are not people to hold up as heroes for Christ's sake. How much you want to bet their neighbors next door are under water. Hey, they saved THEIR ASSES, f the rest. Then again, maybe you are right, selfishness at my neighbor's expense IS the new America.


Hey you, Shut up. You don't know what you are talking about. You think that by glancing at these few pictures, all of a sudden you know exactly what went on, that these are rich people who sat around doing absolutely nothing except write a check to someone to do the work for them..... I'm sure in a few cases, that may be accurate, although it doesn't make it wrong, they have every right to do so, and the guys who got paid to do the work may have taken the money they made to save their own home.

Something you should know, down here in louisiana while we were waiting for this flood to get to us, our local news was all over interviewing modest cajuns who were out making their own levees around their homes, so you see, their homes may not be in this set of pictures, but believe me, they exist. These people are very hard working, proud people who don't believe in sucking on the sour tit of america.

yes, many homes are devastated right now, many of which belong to family of mine, but those who had the chance to save their homes, deserved every right to do so.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying
 


2 out of the 4 are most definitely built by a dozer, you can see the tracks.

Also, if it were there own tractors that built the dam, they would have left it inside the walls with them, as they make for a very good escape vehicle if need be, or if they needed to patch up the wall.



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by i am just saying
 


2 out of the 4 are most definitely built by a dozer, you can see the tracks.

Also, if it were there own tractors that built the dam, they would have left it inside the walls with them, as they make for a very good escape vehicle if need be, or if they needed to patch up the wall.


i give up...i just....sigh



posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying
 


Just clarifying a point is all.





new topics
top topics
 
116
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join