Islands in the stream: The extraordinary homemade dams holding back the Mississippi.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

RYSSDAL: People must have thought you were crazy, building your own levee?

SPIVEY: Well, the ones we were saving didn't.

RYSSDAL: Tell me about that: how many people did you save?

SPIVEY: Two neighborhoods, one north of us and one south of us. That's roughly 100 households and six businesses.

RYSSDAL: We talked to your boss a little while ago. He said you guys are paying for this out of your own pockets -- about $85,000?

SPIVEY: Yeah. It's been a group effort with five businesses here, right around us. And everybody's going to tally up at the end and split the bills out and however much the damage is is what it is.

Is that hero enough for you?
marketplace.publicradio.org...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Under Water

RYSSDAL: People must have thought you were crazy, building your own levee?

SPIVEY: Well, the ones we were saving didn't.

RYSSDAL: Tell me about that: how many people did you save?

SPIVEY: Two neighborhoods, one north of us and one south of us. That's roughly 100 households and six businesses.

RYSSDAL: We talked to your boss a little while ago. He said you guys are paying for this out of your own pockets -- about $85,000?

SPIVEY: Yeah. It's been a group effort with five businesses here, right around us. And everybody's going to tally up at the end and split the bills out and however much the damage is is what it is.

Is that hero enough for you?
marketplace.publicradio.org...

God bless America...God bless the South

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

Indeed they do have a right and I don't disparage it. I just won't wax poetic about it while most of the rest suffer and do what they can on their own, with their own sweat and help from their neighbors. I know the area well and it is horrific and sad. God knows brave Cajuns have had more than their share of both nature and man screwing up their lives (Katrina, Rita and Ike and then BP).

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying

This is SO great. S&F

Thanks for posting!!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Here we see real Americans in action.

They are not waiting for the Federal Government to treat them like little childen and fly in with cheques and bulldozers to do the job for them.

They are not saying ' I wants mah big government. I wants mah welfare cheques. I wants mah free money' which seems to be an epidemic of government dependence that afflicts the people of all races in America today.

These people are REAL AMERICANS !

They have taken charge of their own destiny.

They have stepped up to the plate and saved themselves.

If America was run by people like this, then it would be the greatest nation on the planet.

Rise up real Americans - reclaim you country from the Federal Fascist Government - this is your country !

These images are truly beautiful.

They reveal to me that all hope is not lost in America, for as long as people like this are still in America then the country can save itself.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Wow these guys are awesome, are the levels still rising ? or are there walls at a sufficient height ?

+6 more 
posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

I know during the recent floods here in Victoria there was one wealthy guy in a town that owned a construction company..
He put all his men and machinery to work building a levee to protect the TOWN, not just his home...

That's heroic IMO...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Thats true heroism, not just looking out for yourself, but your community, the government is not something to be relied on for ANYTHING, i believe to break free from the bonds of slavery inflicted by the corporations and government, we must do things like this, be more self sufficient, take matters into our own hands !

Just out of interest, was the levee they built sufficient to hold back the rising water levels ?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Wow amazing. I heard on the news in Australia that they were releasing the water held back by the levies not becuase of fear that the levies will break but becuase they want to protect oil refirenies. It just goes to show who's running the government and I can tell you it's not the "people".

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

Just out of interest, was the levee they built sufficient to hold back the rising water levels ?

yep, it did..
A lot of towns folk jumped in to help..

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
thats really cool S&F. Im curious though are the owners of the houses that are islands leave the house or decided to stock up and see whats happens. i really hope it isn't the latter.

EDIT; I think i would have to stay. I'd be to worried about some pirates coming and getting my treasure.
edit on 20-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Good to hear, indeed, i would do the same thing, anything i could do to help if it was my community.

Everyone should have the same mentality, but it seems, at least over here in the UK, most people are too concerned with themselves and their own familys to worry about the bigger picture.

Its like that scene in Terminator Salvation, where they turn up at the gas station and all those rebels are there, The old woman is trying to give them some food, doing the right thing. But the 'leader' of these rebels living there, starts kicking off, saying 'this is OUR food, OUR gas' and saying how if they keep laying low the machines will leave them alone, then Kyle Reece says 'No matter what you do, they'll come for you eventually' The leader then says 'If we help you, maybe they will'

Then regardless, some huge machine appears and captures/kills all of them. Lessons to be learned, again, from movies

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

That's the kind of behaviour I expect off Australians, well done that man.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
I dont see a home owner doing any work except for spending cash to build those Dykes,

A crew was paid to come in and build those berms might only take a day or 2 with trucks bringing dirt in.
  • You do not see the homeowner doing any work.
  • You do not see a paid crew doing any work.
  • Well, actually you don't see anyone doing any work in these photos.

So since neither can be proven by looking at one image, let's just choose whichever possible scenario, that we can be most angry against. Good philosophy.

Do you know for a fact, that this did not happen?

Originally posted by -W1LL
    my point those homeowners paid someone to come in and build a wall. they used $ not their tractor or even a shovel from their shed.

Your point is nothing more than a guess.

Originally posted by dreams n chains
    If I lived there... I would not be able to afford to buy a bulldozer/labor and have the land rights to pull up earth surrounding my little parcel of home. That does not make me any weaker or less ingenious than those that can afford such things.

Be proud of your fellow Americans... but not just those with money and means.

True. Weakness is not related to one's wealth. Your weakness was shown when you chose to jump to a conclusion while knowing none of the details.

Originally posted by pajoly
    these are wealthy homes. People who live there have the wealth and resources to save their homes. These are ALL machine made works, not just labor of the homeowners' hands and backs.

Hypothetically speaking- If that is the case, then are you sure that none of them used their wealth and resources to help anyone else?

Originally posted by Chadwickus
    2 out of the 4 are most definitely built by a dozer, you can see the tracks.

Also, if it were there own tractors that built the dam, they would have left it inside the walls with them, as they make for a very good escape vehicle if need be, or if they needed to patch up the wall.
    Speculating.
    I can speculate too-

"Things have not been going so well for Farmer Billy. Financial issues. Billy had to sell his tractor a few months back. When needed, Billy borrows his brother Joe's tractor, which is how Billy built the dam around his house. He completed his dam; even stopped at a friends house, who lives between Billy and Joe, and helped out the friend also; before taking Joe's tractor back."

• posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:30 AM
    link   

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:37 AM
    link   
    I know one farmer along the Mississippi.

When he found out that the government was planing to do nothing after he lost his house twice in 30 years because the government will not dredge the river.
    Building dikes does not work when year after year the silt builds up in the river.
    Sooner or later the silt builds up till the rivers overflow.

He rebuilt his new farm house on two grain barges. when the next flood hits his home will float till the water goes down and his home is back on dry ground.

Its well anchored and can go up and down with the water.

Other farmers have built or moved to home on hills they built themselves.

This was after the government told the farmers they had to ether move off the farms or sell out to big AG companies because the government was not going to pay any more if there homes were damaged.
    You can not live in town and run a farm.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:19 AM
    link   

Originally posted by i am just saying

Originally posted by Chadwickus

2 out of the 4 are most definitely built by a dozer, you can see the tracks.

Also, if it were there own tractors that built the dam, they would have left it inside the walls with them, as they make for a very good escape vehicle if need be, or if they needed to patch up the wall.

i give up...i just....sigh

I agree. The first and the last to homes look to be far from being " wealthy" and your right it's not the point it the FACT that those people and many others chose to take it upon themselves to save their homes themselves and not expect the government to do it for them. But it's seems Will, dream n chains and pajoly that they've climbed on obamas class warfair bandwagon. I'm curious though, to these three, how do you know they saved their homes through a check book? Maybe their neighbors had a bull dozer and their home didn't make it in the picture, it is farm land down there. Maybe one might own a small construction company and used his own dozer to build his dam, maybe they rented one and done it themselves. But, no, they appear to be "The Evil Rich" so lets lessen their efforts, it's much easier that way.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:51 AM
    link   
    Regardless of who the heroes are or aren't something comes across really strong in this thread. When communities pull together as one, they can help defend themselves from mother nature...

When we rely on the government to wipe our ass, we get shafted!

In some ways, getting back to community focus, smaller government, more localised solutions and being able to respond to local threats, rather than overwhelming a national government. We don't need the gubberment to wipe our behinds, in any country. We need a respectful set of rules, community focus and the ability to work together - rather than giving into the fear of survival on ones own - survival as a community is far easier, and far safer!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:49 AM
    link   
    these people are stupid,so i take it those house's will be the last to be destroyed,not like you can go back to these house's,good luck getting gas and electricity or any mantinence done,again i'll say it ,stupid

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:09 AM
    link   
    Paying a bunch of money to a construction company and have them build a wall around your house is truly VERY American.

The only spirit I see here is the spirit of fear that your house will be swamped away while you are sleeping in it.

I fail to see what people in other countries would have done differently. Please elaborate.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join