It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Teacher 'Refused To Hang Child's Drawing Of U.S. Flag Because It Would Offend Jehovah's Witness S

page: 9
18
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz
 


The flag contains no information on how to live one's life by any moralistic standard. It's a tool for indoctrination, a patriotic fetish and basically a fascist talisman. There is no substance, only emotion. Display it or not, I don't care.




posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota
Let's get some things straight here. I was raised Jehovah's Witness and I know all too well the prejudices associated with not reciting the pledge as I was badgered throughout elementary and middle school because of it.

First off, the doctrine of JW, which I no-longer belong, but thank God I did at the time because it probably was a catalyst in my ability to be a free thinker, is that saying the pledge with one's hand over his or her heart is a form of idol worship. As anyone who has ever seen a Kingdom Hall can attest, there is not even the cross to be worshiped in that religion, as even the cross is seen as an idol, a false metaphor for something else - standing in place of Jesus and his teachings.

That being said, I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask: Why in the world is 6th grade art-class concerned with crayon drawings of the flag (or whatever else be the muse of the kids)? By 6th grade, I had to learn about depth and shadowing. Hell, even by 4th grade we were learning about Picasso's blue period and Matisse and pointilism. I have vivid memories of such classes.

At any rate, the teacher probably went over board, but to be honest, it has more to do with the concerns espoused by not offending people that we forget that in that process we can also offend the would-be offenders (does that make sense?). However, where do we draw the line? Could a child come in on show and tell and present his grandfather's KKK uniform? Could a child's parent come in and explain why she has two "mommies" or why daddy doesn't believe in God?

Ok, Ok, it's the flag - not a racist institution or a hot-button topic. But look at it from the teacher's point of view. We train our teachers to accommodate dissabilities, differences of national origen and religion, of culture and of language.

Of course, all of this is bound to hit a flame point, especially in a half-assed fascist country that does require its youth to stand at attention every morning and recite a patriotic hymn. It's indoctrination of a sort, even if it comes without little Hitler Youth outfits, medals and calisthenics. Let's see both sides to this issue and why an 11-year-old would feel so over come with the Holy Spirit----I mean, patriotism, that he would need to draw the flag, which is already hanging EVERYWHERE in a public school, rather than drawing some other scene that evokes patriotism.

This whole story is like an oversimplified microcosm of a cross-cancelling cultural experience that is contemporary America: we worry so hard about others' feelings and trying not to offend them, but in the background, it's still all about one thing - serving the empire from craddle to grave.



Hahaha, in the JW cult Jesus is NOT the rank and files mediator, Jesus is only the mediator for the "anointed" - ie 144,000. If you don't believe me I suggest you do some research. JW's are caustic. For those who do break free it does help one in critical thinking. The thing that irks the hell out of me is those who left and become apologists...



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Be glad you at least have the freedom to burn or honor the flag in this country. Many take it for granted. try living in a third world cesspool for a while and see the difference... in many, if not most countries, military service is MANDATORY.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarahraeann
 


Your post made me think of the fact that if the other student the teacher thought would be offended drew one then how would they be offended? makes no sense to me.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Anyone who lives in this country regardless of religious or political or just disgruntled has a problem with the flag being flow or displayed somewhere can go ahead and leave the country because no one wants u here be proud of where your from.... that being said im sure theirs more to the story always is



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

I know lots of kids, and none of them spend time thinking about Federal Mandates,
and how to exploit them.



Why do you keep attempting to twist my words to suit whatever point it is that you think you're trying to make?

Why don't you read my post and comprehend it for exactly what it means?

I said, and I quote (yet once again)


Originally posted by alphabetaone

As it is, federal mandates have made it nigh impossible for most parents to actually DO any parenting


So which part shows me intimating that kids spend any time thinking about federal mandates? They dont HAVE to think about exploting them; their parents lack of ability to act lets them exploit it naturally without any contemplation on it at all. If you spend any measurable amount of time with kids as you profess, you know this to be true...they will push the envelope until a restriction is placed upon them.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I am now a Wiccan but was raised as a JW.
There is one thing JW's WON'T do and that is play the whiny "I'm offended" card. All they would do is to respectfully withdraw from saying the pledge, NOT demand the rest of the class to avoid things flag-related.
Sounds like the parent of the flag-drawing child is using a scapegoat.
JW's opt out of politics simply because they do not support an earthly government and paying homage to a flag is like idolizing something in the place of Jehovah God. It's really that simple.

Anyway, there are many reasons I am no longer a Witness but I am not going to go around trashing them either. There are a hell of a lot worse religions out there.


edit on 15-5-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone

If you spend any measurable amount of time with kids as you profess, you know this to be true...they will push the envelope until a restriction is placed upon them.


Exactly, which is not explotation, thats just being a kid.

The term exploit carries specific connotations, which easily apply to adults, stretching it to accuse
children of exploitation.

And certainly in this speciific case I dont think the child was exploiting the system, or the teacher.

He was just simply a child that drew a flag and like any child that is proud of his work, wanted to
display it.
edit on 15-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bastet11
I am now a Wiccan but was raised as a JW.
There is one thing JW's WON'T do and that is play the whiny "I'm offended" card. All they would do is to respectfully withdraw from saying the pledge, NOT demand the rest of the class to avoid things flag-related.
Sounds like the parent of the flag-drawing child is using a scapegoat.
JW's opt out of politics simply because they do not support an earthly government and paying homage to a flag is like idolizing something in the place of Jehovah God. It's really that simple.

Anyway, there are many reasons I am no longer a Witness but I am not going to go around trashing them either. There are a hell of a lot worse religions out there.


edit on 15-5-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)



Thats not the card the society is currently playing with Russia. Also the closure of the Spanish branch and publishing warehouses because the Spanish govt ordered that ALL religions pay something into the social welfare system. ALL religions but the JW's complied. In fact the JW's started to sell everything off and transfer the profits to the US headquarters until the Spanish govt said, whoa, and froze all assets. I've heard them play the whinny card for years...



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Maybe the teacher knows its really not the US flag. Not many do. But more than likely this has something to do with HOLY ROMAN LAWs. The VATICAN is EL JEFE(spanish for big boss man) on the planet.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes
Be glad you at least have the freedom to burn or honor the flag in this country. Many take it for granted. try living in a third world cesspool for a while and see the difference... in many, if not most countries, military service is MANDATORY.


Kinda like be glad we are in solitary confinement,,,and arent in general pop where the skins have a bounty on us.

I always hear this position of compare contrast with 3rd world nations. Keeps you and the majority stuck.

The most enslaved slave of all is the one who falsely believes he is free....and so it is.
edit on 15-5-2011 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2011 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think that it is absolutely ridiculous that we can't hang our flag in our own country because it might offend others. Go back to where you f****** came from then. Why would they live in AMERICA and not expect to see and American flag everywhere you go? If OUR country is offensive to somebody then go somewhere else. YOU are offending us by coming to our country and making us change things. This makes me so mad
.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Americans are mentally sick indeed. No common sense. Not only with this nazi-obsession with flags. No wonder with psychological indoctrination of children by "The Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America" and whatever comes next. It's too much. Whole world can see it but you. And it looks very dangerous. Looking in your tiny bloody history I see one big agresive bipolar schizophrenic with tendency to slip into extremes. At first you are most racist nation in the world and suddenly you spread positive discrimination all around the globe. Extreme bigotry in religion contrasts with the worst perversion and spreading satanic culture.
As well as positive discrimination also this MSM event is ment to make more harm than good and seed some hate.
Everything you do turns in the wrong. This nation looks to be possesed and ruled by devils. And these need to be cast out.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Exactly, which is not explotation, thats just being a kid.


This is taking advantage of an opportunity...just being a kid, yes...and that's what kids do...they take advantage.


Originally posted by burntheships
The term exploit carries specific connotations, which easily apply to adults, stretching it to accuse
children of exploitation.


Stretching it? Really? Let's explore then, the meaning of exploit.


exploit
— n 1. a notable deed or feat, esp one that is noble or heroic
— vb 2. to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc),
3. to make the best use of: to exploit natural resources



Originally posted by burntheships
And certainly in this speciific case I dont think the child was exploiting the system, or the teacher.

He was just simply a child that drew a flag and like any child that is proud of his work, wanted to
display it.


Undoubtedly, your opinion is your own, but I think it's as equal a chance of being a part of the equation as it is not.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
people, you are confused. What if a child drew a picture of a foreign flag?? whould you want it posted in the classroom?-schools are their to teach facts not worship some flag-its policy, like burning a flag is legal. If one kid posts a flag on the wall the teacher would have to let other students post their flags, or maybe satan worshipping symbols. Get real, you are blowing this all out of proportion. besides, the kid isnt old enough to understand america is evil and who would be prowd of its flag. teacher probably is doing the kid a favor, not letting him be brain washed into displaying a flag that means nothing.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes
 


lol why are you so angry at jw's? were you touched inappropriately by an elder?


i think that you have a lot of hate inside you and should seek therapy, my friend. a religious organization should not cause you to be so upset to the point of making fun of and offending other people on the internet. but then again you may be a troll, at least it sure sounds like it.

anyway, hope you learn to see things more clearly



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by Mercurio
 



No offense taken.



Its a childs rendering of The Unites States Flag.

I think that there is a moral to this story...no one has hit on it yet.

But your close.



Oooh! I know!

It's that people shouldn't believe a one-sided story based on one guys' claims as reported by people with a decidedly anti-teacher agenda?



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwareOfSurroundings
I think that it is absolutely ridiculous that we can't hang our flag in our own country because it might offend others. Go back to where you f****** came from then. Why would they live in AMERICA and not expect to see and American flag everywhere you go? If OUR country is offensive to somebody then go somewhere else. YOU are offending us by coming to our country and making us change things. This makes me so mad
.


LOL. You DO understand that there is no proof that the Jehova's Witness kid was offended by the flag, right? ust some guy's claim.

Also, Jehovas Witnesses are not from another country. It's an American religion, in fact. Like Mormonism. There is no Jehovas Witnesstan.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Flags are a part of histery.
it is wats use'd to make people feel they have an abligation.
it is pride or control.
but only your enmys hate your flag!



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
Flags are a part of histery.
it is wats use'd to make people feel they have an abligation.
it is pride or control.
but only your enmys hate your flag!


HAHAHA Nice.

I love it when histery is being made in front of my eyes too.

Enmy
you just dont get better than that



new topics

top topics



 
18
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join