It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher 'Refused To Hang Child's Drawing Of U.S. Flag Because It Would Offend Jehovah's Witness S

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by romanmel

What does that have to do with the information presented in the article? You hate young people? You hate teachers?

I hate seeing kids graduate from public schools who cannot read and write above a third grade level, because teachers impose their PC ideas upon those they are charged with educating.

Right, and ow does that relate to the information in the article? There is nothing in the article that proves the father's unsubstantiated claims. I'm curious why you immediately assume the teacher is being 'PC", despite all the story clearly not being reported?

Your beef with public education is not the fault of teachers. Perhaps you should try working with teachers and making schools better instead of blaming.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33

That teacher should have been fired for this, but it revealed the true nature of respect JW's have for what other people hold dear, in this particular case the national flag.

Yeah, see the problem with that theory of yours is the only person making that claim is the father (and, yes, his son is repeating what the father says). So calling for the firing of a teacher based on the word of a father and son who clearly admit to having an ongoing 'misunderstanding' with the JH kid seems a bit premature.

I almost spoke out against this too until I re-read his post. He meant the teacher doing the experiment with the spitting probably should have been fired or perhaps reprimanded for carrying out that experiment, not the teacher in the original OP.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

I have to ask the obvious question, what is really going on here?

Oh, just llook at this "offensive" picture!

This school flys a flag outside on a flag pole, just as most schools do.

Did this teacher lose their mind?

The student asked if he could put his drawing of the flag on the window or on his desk but was told to take it home and hang it there.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

No offense, but that's an incorrect drawing of the flag. It has seven stripes and not even any stars.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I say if the flag offends the kid him and his parents should GTFO of america

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercurio

No offense taken.

Its a childs rendering of The Unites States Flag.

I think that there is a moral to this story...no one has hit on it yet.

But your close.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Now us "old timers" will remember this pledge. Before the class started Every day we did this with our hand over our chest.

Getting children involved in the Politics and/or Religious ramifications is simply Wrong here !!

Oh yea..get a kid up there with a script of how the this or that is the downfall of the American way .. its friggin Sick IMO !!

Leave the Kids out of the POLITRICKS and have them spend more Time in the Mending of fences .. or just playing Outside instead of Playing games on XB or WII !!!!

Grow up and then send the Adults to to there thing.. Leave the Friggin Kids alone !!

Rant over...

JG.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaduguru
Leave the Friggin Kids alone !!

I have to say, I'm also not exactly on-board for over stating the fragility or innocence of kids. While it's all well and good to make this statement, remaining open to the possibility of the vindictive nature of some kids cant be left out of the equation.

As it is, federal mandates have made it nigh impossible for most parents to actually DO any parenting, and I applaud myself for having had the foresight to not have HAD any in all of my 45 years. It seems every time you turn around, another parent is getting jailed or criticized or fined for trying to keep their damn kids under control. Sure, there are abusive parents; but then the scale tips and the parents get abused by their own children and the parents can do nothing to fight it.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone

As it is, federal mandates have made it nigh impossible for most parents to actually DO any parenting, and I applaud myself for having had the foresight to not have HAD any in all of my 45 years. It seems every time you turn around, another parent is getting jailed or criticized or fined for trying to keep their damn kids under control. Sure, there are abusive parents; but then the scale tips and the parents get abused by their own children and the parents can do nothing to fight it.

I think your mistaken in your assement of the power structure here, just saying.

The real culprit in the above statment is not the kids, its The Government.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I think your mistaken in your assement of the power structure here, just saying.

The real culprit in the above statment is not the kids, its The Government.

No way. I have seen firsthand how kids manipulate the system to their advantage. Some portion of it is the Government, but the Government doesn't take a kid by the hand, tell him or her "listen when you dont get what you want, scream at your parents that you will call the cops and fake abuse". I *have* seen this happen....anyone who knows me, knows I am not apt to making things like this up.

I am not making a broad sweeping statement that it is a majority of the kids, simply that I wouldn't completely let my guard down to assume that the kids "innocence" prevents them from having anything disingenuous or nefarious in mind.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

As it is, federal mandates have made it

You started out saying "Federal Mandates" ....
please explain how children are responsible for Federal Mandates?
edit on 15-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAnnouncementMovement
reply to post by pityocamptes

I think we are talking about 2 complete different types of people. The JW's I talk to on the weekend talk about the illuminati and similar subjects. They also encourage questioning their teachings and finding my own answers outside of the book. And can you show me some evidence of these "religious studies?"

I'm pretty sure you're talking about catholics.

No, I'm talking about JW's. Everything is peaches and cream until you get baptized and then things change.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Youji69
reply to post by pityocamptes

it's true that the religion has its share of bad history, but what religion doesn't? christians have killed, muslims have killed, jews, etc..

but you are focusing on all the bad things that have happened, while ignoring the positive side, which is that it brings people together, it teaches morals, and the biggest goal of jehovah's witnesses is to simply preach the word of the bible.

anyway, it sounds like you have had family or you yourself have been a member of the organization, and got a bad taste of it. please understand that most jehovah's witnesses that i know do go to college, they work decent jobs, they run businesses or invest in them, they pay taxes, many choose to serve their country (such as myself, I am now a Marine Corps Sergeant), many choose to give blood and even accept it (though many prefer to take a blood substitute), and yes, we respect the flag.

love to all!

Most JW's you know go to college? I almost died laughing!!!! Serve their country? Once again I died laughing. Those would not be faithful CURRENT JW's but in name only or they separated from the religion....

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day

Originally posted by here4awhile
lol at the ridiculousness this country is becoming...jehovah's is such a boring religion by the way...they don't celebrate ANYTHING not even birthdays....so so so boring and bland

Ya...they are actually the conspiracy theorists of religion....they deny ignorance.

Research yourself to see if any holiday originates with the bible or some occult pagan roman sun worshiping origin.

The Bible allows ALL holiday celebrations... Romans 14:5 and Colossians 2:16...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

As it is, federal mandates have made it nigh impossible for most parents to actually DO any parenting

I fixed my own quote for you that you left out, with the applicable portion of it bolded and underlined so that it was clear. This doesn't suggest in any fashion that kids are responsible for federal mandates, but that because of them that it allows those kids to take advantage of their parents. Was it really that unclear to you?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercurio

This school flys a flag outside on a flag pole, just as most schools do.

Did this teacher lose their mind?

The student asked if he could put his drawing of the flag on the window or on his desk but was told to take it home and hang it there.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

No offense, but that's an incorrect drawing of the flag. It has seven stripes and not even any stars.

Teacher really didn't put it up because it looks ugly.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

As it is, federal mandates have made it nigh impossible for most parents to actually DO any parenting

I fixed my own quote for you that you left out, with the applicable portion of it bolded and underlined so that it was clear. This doesn't suggest in any fashion that kids are responsible for federal mandates, but that because of them that it allows those kids to take advantage of their parents. Was it really that unclear to you?

Its clear to me. Your saying you really believe that Federal Mandates are a problem.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Its clear to me. Your saying you really believe that Federal Mandates are a problem.

...and as a result, kids have learned to exploit them.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Agh! IT BURNS MY EYES!

If your going to an American school system, what do f*** you expect?! I'm sorry, this madness just infuriating.

I swear people can't think for themselves anymore!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

...and as a result, kids have learned to exploit them.

I know lots of kids, and none of them spend time thinking about Federal Mandates,
and how to exploit them.

However, I know a lot of adults that exploit kids.
And I see a lot of Federal Mandates that exploit taxpayers.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Let's get some things straight here. I was raised Jehovah's Witness and I know all too well the prejudices associated with not reciting the pledge as I was badgered throughout elementary and middle school because of it.

First off, the doctrine of JW, which I no-longer belong, but thank God I did at the time because it probably was a catalyst in my ability to be a free thinker, is that saying the pledge with one's hand over his or her heart is a form of idol worship. As anyone who has ever seen a Kingdom Hall can attest, there is not even the cross to be worshiped in that religion, as even the cross is seen as an idol, a false metaphor for something else - standing in place of Jesus and his teachings.

That being said, I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask: Why in the world is 6th grade art-class concerned with crayon drawings of the flag (or whatever else be the muse of the kids)? By 6th grade, I had to learn about depth and shadowing. Hell, even by 4th grade we were learning about Picasso's blue period and Matisse and pointilism. I have vivid memories of such classes.

At any rate, the teacher probably went over board, but to be honest, it has more to do with the concerns espoused by not offending people that we forget that in that process we can also offend the would-be offenders (does that make sense?). However, where do we draw the line? Could a child come in on show and tell and present his grandfather's KKK uniform? Could a child's parent come in and explain why she has two "mommies" or why daddy doesn't believe in God?

Ok, Ok, it's the flag - not a racist institution or a hot-button topic. But look at it from the teacher's point of view. We train our teachers to accommodate dissabilities, differences of national origen and religion, of culture and of language.

Of course, all of this is bound to hit a flame point, especially in a half-assed fascist country that does require its youth to stand at attention every morning and recite a patriotic hymn. It's indoctrination of a sort, even if it comes without little Hitler Youth outfits, medals and calisthenics. Let's see both sides to this issue and why an 11-year-old would feel so over come with the Holy Spirit----I mean, patriotism, that he would need to draw the flag, which is already hanging EVERYWHERE in a public school, rather than drawing some other scene that evokes patriotism.

This whole story is like an oversimplified microcosm of a cross-cancelling cultural experience that is contemporary America: we worry so hard about others' feelings and trying not to offend them, but in the background, it's still all about one thing - serving the empire from craddle to grave.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join