It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher 'Refused To Hang Child's Drawing Of U.S. Flag Because It Would Offend Jehovah's Witness S

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Runaway1977

Excuse me?? If they can't read or write above 3rd grade level it's because they aren't trying, and their parents aren't trying, nor do they care what their kids do or don't do in school. Walk a mile in my shoes everyday.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

Thank you Brazil! Sorry to hear about your schools, but I can certainly understand, as that is how it is in the public schools here in the U.S.. I was beginning to think it was just here, but I see it is a shared experience.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

OMG have they changed. This last Friday I had a 5th grader throw a tantrum because I told him to turn around in his seat and be quiet. He stood up, threw his books to the floor and pushed the chair over. In the main office, a teacher reported finding a student wandering the halls, a student who is to be supervised at all times, and she walked him to the office. He called her a liar to her face, three times, said she pissed him off and said f--- you. Upon reviewing the cameras, he was indeed wandering the halls. He made no apology, and was suspended for five days. He is an 8th grader. This type of behavior happens every single day.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by aero56

Excuse me?? If they can't read or write above 3rd grade level it's because they aren't trying, and their parents aren't trying, nor do they care what their kids do or don't do in school. Walk a mile in my shoes everyday.

Excuse me? What is your reading level?

" and their parents aren't trying, nor do they care what their kids do or don't do in school." That was what I was saying. Did you just rudely contradict me just to make the same point that I did?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by aero56
reply to post by henriquefd

Thank you Brazil! Sorry to hear about your schools, but I can certainly understand, as that is how it is in the public schools here in the U.S.. I was beginning to think it was just here, but I see it is a shared experience.

I understand that even in Japan - which has always been about politeness and discipline - they are having problems with kids acting out - being rude - talking back - etc.

It seems to be built into this generation - - world wide.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I find it really curious that somehow so many posts in this thread have been
about kids acting out, acting up, acting manipulative.

This thread is not about that at all, and no where in the opening post was this story about
kids acting up or any such thing.

Clearly this shows a bias among adults and teachers towards children.

The probems of this world can not be blamed on children!

For heavens sake people, get a grip!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

This thread is not about that at all, and no where in the opening post was this story about

What are you talking about?

When you post a thread that directly involves children (child) and the topic is so controversial that one of the possibilities CAN be that the kid is, in fact, the problem to begin with, then it is DIRECTLY relative to the topic at hand.

Stop making blanket assumptions that all kids are innocent by virtue of their very being. If you do believe this, YOU are the naive one and should be the one getting a grip, not those with eyes wide open. What do you think, they all run around collecting butterflies and helping mom make chocolate chip cookies? Please.....go spend some time on the streets ok.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

You have made my point very pointed, thank you.

Blaming, its a very bad character trait.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Oh yes, and one other thing....

The moral of the story is ....

People who are so easliy offended.

Offended by a drawing of a flag.

People who are so easily offended are usually only interested in thier own view of the world.

Being offended is not a "right".

The world is full of people who wake up looking for something, someone,
some circumstance in which they will be offended.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

The problems of this world can not be blamed on children!

How many children have you raised?

Young and Idealistic - as I was once upon a time.

The real world is a lot different.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

How many children I have raised is not the issue.

I made a statement:

edit on 17-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Being offended is not a "right".

The world is full of people who wake up looking for something, someone,
some circumstance in which they will be offended.

You know what, this I will agree with to the maximum!

By the way, I didn't make your point....I called you naive, that was far from making your point lol
edit on 17-5-2011 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Youji69
reply to post by pityocamptes

lol why are you so angry at jw's? were you touched inappropriately by an elder?

i think that you have a lot of hate inside you and should seek therapy, my friend. a religious organization should not cause you to be so upset to the point of making fun of and offending other people on the internet. but then again you may be a troll, at least it sure sounds like it.

anyway, hope you learn to see things more clearly

Because it irritates the hell out of me that they can lead naive people down a road of self destruction!!!!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

So i suppose you are of a denomination yourself? And according to your denomination Jehovah's Witnesses are on a path to self destruction? That opinion is purely speculative, and really judgemental from a christian standpoint.

Perhaps you don't believe in religion at all, but thats your right, don't impose, or mock someone for having belief. If it's leading to self fulfilment or happiness and it isn't harming anyone then you have nothing to complain about.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I am soooooo sorry. Forgive me, I obviously posted to the wrong person.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I'm sorry, but I see this quite differently:

1. Boy drawing flag (will refer to him as boy #1) was drawing it instead of doing the work which was required of him. A stricter teacher might call him out for misusing class time and not doing his work. Quite simple, really.

2. Boy #1 asks the teacher to display it proudly in the room. The teacher understandably refuses, as misuse of class time isn't something to be encouraged, no matter how patriotic or artistic his doodling is.

3. Boy #1 complains to his father, and his father comes to the conclusion that it must be because of the Jehovah's Witness boy, boy #2, as he knows that Jehovah's Witnesses do not take part in nationalism, including saluting national symbols such as the US flag (he sees this as them being 'offended' by the flag). He does not think that perhaps his son was wasting his class time.
I think it's said somewhere that the two boys have had disagreements before, most likely about boy #2's religious convictions, and I wouldn't be surprised if his father disliked Jehovah's Witnesses too, or had an inaccurate understanding of them.

To me, it is perfectly reasonable that the teacher did not allow boy #1 to display his drawing. I think that it is irrational to jump to the conclusion that it was truly to avoid offending boy #2.
Also, considering that there is no reason why a Jehovah's Witness should be offended by a flag - they show respect for national symbols, just don't show allegiance to them due to political neutrality - I think that leaping to the conclusion that the Witness boy was offended is ignorant.
Certainly, we don't know for sure what the teacher's motivation was, but to me it seems most logical that it was because the kid was indeed 'acting up', and not doing what he was supposed to - he was being disobedient. And in my opinion, that is totally justified.

Would it not be biased for the teacher to celebrate the boy's drawing by proudly displaying it, when the other students were busy doing their work, as he was supposed to?

edit on 27/5/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: elaboration

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join