It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher 'Refused To Hang Child's Drawing Of U.S. Flag Because It Would Offend Jehovah's Witness S

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Teacher 'Refused To Hang Child's Drawing Of U.S. Flag Because It Would Offend Jehovah's Witness Student'

www.dailymail.co.uk

An elementary school was under fire today after a teacher refused to display a child's drawing of the American flag for fear it would offend another student who is a Jehovah's Witness.

Frankie Girard, 11, drew the picture during his art class at Butterfields School in Orange, Massachusetts.
He claims his teacher refused to hang up his picture on a wall beside those drawn by his classmates as it would offend the other student.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I have to ask the obvious question, what is really going on here?

Oh, just llook at this "offensive" picture!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/540a5349f7c6.jpg[/atsimg]

This school flys a flag outside on a flag pole, just as most schools do.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/466379423276.jpg[/atsimg]

Did this teacher lose their mind?

The student asked if he could put his drawing of the flag on the window or on his desk but was told to take it home and hang it there.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

this has been posted already...I think what was first reported is the kid was suppose to do some other schoolwork but instead decided to draw...which sound plausible if the teacher said to do something else...I'm not ready to jump on the anti-american teacher bandwagon yet...this stuff always gets attention because it's an easy attention getter..(is getter a word?)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The education system is crap in the US, hell even here in Canada.

It all starts with th teachers I tell you. That and parents.

It's time for the west to stop neglecting it's education programs if it wants to produce the best minds in the world.

I was watching TV last night and somebody was talking about having a discussion with a CEO, who was creating 5000 jobs this year. 1000 in the US and 4000 overseas. When asked what kind of jobs, he said they are engineering jobs overseas and call center jobs in the US.

When asked why, he said: " Cause people overseas are smarter."

I digress though. As for this teacher, she should be fired. I'm tired of people not doing things just because it might offend a group of people. This whole PC stuff is really geting old.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
There is a limit what your religion should outlaw or however you call it. Its very understandable why in Islam they don't show pictures of their siginificant religious figures (because they don't want Muslims worshipping the picture), but for a flag of our country be ofensive to a fricken door hopper trying to convert others to their own religion,,, really? The teacher is crazy.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Unbelievable, the amount of ignorance and lack of common sense that teachers show now a days is positively mind boggling.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I actually grew up Jehovah's witness and this is ridiculous to me, I think judging a whole belief system on just what one teacher "might think" would be offensive to another child is like I said Ridiculous. Jehovah's Witnesses stand Respectfully when everyone salutes the flag, they go to schools where the flag is hung, (along with most buildings),
if that student was offended then maybe for their own spiritual growth, they should have their parents take them out of school.

As for the Teacher, I'm not too sure that is what she should have done. Thats like saying NO ONE can eat because this one child is NOT hungry? Not sure if thats a good example but it doesn't make sense.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Sarahraeann because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
We now live in a mil town. One of the middle schoolers wore a flag pin on her shirt as her father had just been deployed. They had a going away party with little bags of party favors for the kids. They contained little things and one of them was a flag pin. My kids even got the pins and the older girls decided to wear them every day till the girls dad came home. Teacher made her take it off.... no reason given. Just remove it. The mom was upset as was the child, so they called the newspaper after getting the run around by the administration as to why her small pin was confiscated and kept in a teachers locked drawer. Newspaper wouldnt pick it up. The mom removed her kids from school and is home schooling her. She also fears being harassed for removing her 3 kids from the system now. How do I know? Its my neighbor.

Im not offended when the JW kids dont participate in things and knock on my door at 8 AM on a Saturday. Im not offended with the Che shirts or the Mexican flags on shirts at schools. Im not offended by shows of pride in immigrants for their ancestral countries or even the confederate flag on t shirts at school. WHY IS IT SO OFFENSIVE FOR THE FLAG OF THE COUNTRY WE ALL LIVE IN TO BE DISPLAYED?

This is madness.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Advantage because: I cant type..

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
eh, this has nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses. I was raised a Jehovah's Witness, but I love my country, I respect the flag, and I even joined the Marine Corps. So i think it's just an excuse that the school is using...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco

(is getter a word?)

It's one of the bestest words I know!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

I hope you dont mind if I quote you, it needed to be said. Thank you!
And I so agree, this teacher should be fired!

I suspect this has nothing to do with another students
"imagined" sensitivity to the U.S. Flag...as this school has one flying out front.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Sounds rumor heavy and fact-less to me. Lost of 'claimed to' and 'says she' in there.

The only one claiming it was to prevent offending the Jehova's Witness is the kid and his dad. The teacher did not admit to stating that, and said the reasoning was he wasn't following the assignment.

'm smelling BS from the parents who ran to the ACLU but claim they just want an 'apology'.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

~Keeper

I hope you dont mind if I quote you, it needed to be said. Thank you!
And I so agree, this teacher should be fired!

Why should the teacher be fired? For not letting a student hang up a drawing that he wasnt supposed to be doing in the first place? Based on the article, it sounds like this kid is a known trouble-maker, and was previously harassing other students.

I suspect this has nothing to do with another students
"imagined" sensitivity to the U.S. Flag...as this school has one flying out front.

Exactly. It's only the parent and kid claiming it was because of the 'jehovas witness' (who the dad admits the kid had some personal problems with). This story is BS, and I hope the parent gets sued for libel/slander against the teacher.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Well either way, the word "offend" was used. The Jehovahs Witness aspect is just an aside to the story.

Mr Girard said that the dispute did not just start with the drawing of the flag. He said that the student in Frankie's class is a Jehovah's Witness and does not pledge allegiance.

He said: 'Frankie did not know much about Jehovah's Witnesses at the time and merely asked his classmate why he did not do it. But they don't pledge allegiance to anything.

'There was a bit of a misunderstanding between them but Frankie later apologised to him, explaining that he was just curious about why he didn't pledge allegiance. Now all this has happened.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Well either way, the word "offend" was used.

By who? The only person making that claim is the parent and student, both of whom admit to having personal problems with the Jehova's Witness kid. Sounds to me like the parent/kid are making a scapegoat out of the Jehova's Witness kid and are totally lying about what they CLAIM the teacher said.

I look forward to the Dad being sued for libel/slander.

Critical thinking, folks- Try it some time.
edit on 14-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Last may,I wrote a thread dealing with similar issues
as this thread.A school in california made a teacher
remove patriotic posters from a classroom wall.The
reason was not to offend hispanic children during cinco
de mayo.
I am posting my thread here,my link in the op,shows
a different news article now.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Perhaps you should read the whole story.

The child was already done with his work. He was allowed to draw becuase of that.

Where do you suppose the child got the drawing paper from? The crayons?

Give up on that already!

But Mr Girard disputes this and claims that Frankie had finished the work he was assigned to do and was given a page by the teacher to do what the school calls 'Free Draw', when the pupils can draw whatever they want.

He said: 'Frankie drew the flag because we have many members of our family in the service and he said he drew it for our brothers and sisters.

'Also with Memorial Day coming up, his older brother John is planning on coming home and we have all been very excited about that.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Youji69
eh, this has nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses. I was raised a Jehovah's Witness, but I love my country, I respect the flag, and I even joined the Marine Corps. So i think it's just an excuse that the school is using...

Edit - pre = Sry there, reply came out as to you, it was to the thread.. yeesh!! carry on...

Why? so you get to die, or to deny another soldier life by refusing your blood?

You guys crack me up, and you're related tom e - I love my cousin, but shes batwhoopsie.
edit on 14/5/2011 by badw0lf because: ooh snapped by the xnsr - fixed!

edit on 14/5/2011 by badw0lf because: made a intro aint i grand stella?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

What does that have to to with my post? I asked what proof you have that the teacher made any of the comments the dad is alleging?

So far, as reported, the only person making the claim is the dad. And, by his own admission, it sounds like he has a lot of personal problems with the Jehova's witness, therefore making his claims awfully convenient, dont you think?

This story is epically one-sided, and there are likely FAR more facts than being reported, so until there is actual evidence to support the father's likely dubious claims, i'll stop short of demanding someone lose their job over this.

It's quite clear to me that you are trolling for some 'fire the anti-american teacher' posts, but anyone who READS THE ARTICLE can see the facts are not all there to support your little witch-hunt.
edit on 14-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

It makes me wonder if it was the teacher who was a Jehovah Witness. As far as I know, jehovah witness' dont care what others do but what themselves do. It wasn't like the kid was asking them to pledge to his drawing.
Teacher should be reprimanded and the family should get an apology.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join