It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, Really ?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
reply to post by jeremiah8401

Actually, they call them the "Abrahamic faiths" for a reason.

The epic of Gilgamesh is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to mythological plagiarism. Look up the time the Jews spent in Sumer and the impact it had on the Torah.

I know it the gilgamesh was the first one that came to mind. and checked out that site. really interesting stuff on there

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Let me know how that turns out for ya.

I'll tell you how it went when we meet on the battlefields of Armageddon.

Judgment Day is roughly 1,000 years after that battle, but sure, whatever you say man.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeremiah8401

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by jeremiah8401

Your grasp is pathetic
he Crusades were a series of religiously sanctioned military campaigns, waged by much of Roman Catholic Europe, particularly the Franks of France and the Holy Roman Empire. The specific crusades to restore Christian control of the Holy Land were fought over a period of nearly 200 years, between 1095 and 1291. Other campaigns in Spain and Eastern Europe continued into the 15th century.

I'm well aware of what the Crusades were. Your error was in claiming they were against the "heretics". That wasn't the Crusades, that was the "inquisitions" of the Catholic church.

Christians were the ones being murdered during the inquisitions ironically.

Because christians think they're all high and mighty and better than everyone else. ANd I never said the inquisitions I said blatantly the crusades so you're just trying to cover your tracks. You're religion is one of the most evil out there

You said the "CRUSADES" were a 200 year war "against the heretics".

That's false, the "INQUISITIONS" were the "war" against the "heretics".

I don't have a "religion", nor do I practice Catholicism. Catholics do that. Catholics were responsible for BOTH the crusades and the inquisitions.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Well talk to the catholics because they were fighting in the name of jesus christ and they call themselves christians tomato tomato. idc what you have to say anymore I have work in the AM it was fun nit pickin your beliefs. maybe we could do it again sometime. and seriously check out the OT in Sumeria you may be surprised. Night

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

You actually are of the atheistic religion that has a faith in unproven theory. Until science confirms the beginning of time any faith whether it is not believing or believing is a faith in a belief.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

They referred to anyone with different beliefs as heretics

her·e·tic/ˈherətik/Noun
1. A person believing in or practicing religious heresy.
2. A person holding an opinion at odds with what is generally accepted. More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
ATTENTION ALL:

Can we get some civility and manners back in the discussion!

(And please trim those quotes!)

Thank you!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
They are just buying insurance.

People think they don't believe or they are not willing to give up their vices to live like religion calls for
and then when they are dying you thing..." Why not embrace it now, I have nothing to lose".

The problem is what if you die suddenly without warning? No time to repent.

If your really an atheist, who's name do you call out during sex???
edit on 14-5-2011 by mwood because: (no reason given)

What ?!
Dude, I'm reconsidered my atheism!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheEmpath

Except it takes no faith to believe in something that is supported by the evidence...so where's the faith in accepting the scientific fact of evolution?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

No, atheists do not believe in a deity. I do believe in a higher power. The sun. It's a nuclear fusion reaction that contains 95% of our solar system's mass. Now, I don't worship the sun, but it is definitely high up in the sky and it's a lot more powerful than me...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by TheEmpath

Except it takes no faith to believe in something that is supported by the evidence...so where's the faith in accepting the scientific fact of evolution?

Evolutionism is not fact its theory.... You have faith in that theory that makes you religious... sorry
While it seems plausible there are millions of unanswered question that i am sure will shock every religion if ever they are answered before we kill ourselves off this rock.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Shaiker

What if I claim "I do not know what happened caused the beginning of time because there is not enough evidence to accept any claims?"

Atheism is not a religion. It is not even a claim about what happened at the beginning or anything else about the universe. It is a rejection of the belief in deities. I do not believe in any deity.

Where's the faith in not accepting a claim that has no evidence to back it up?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

He stuck to his Atheist beliefs until he was lying on his death bed, he told his mother he wanted to talk to a preacher . He asked the preacher about God and was it too late for him to be saved , the preacher told him it's never too late , and my friend accepted Jesus Christ as his lord and savior and passed away a few hours later. The point I'm trying to make is , Atheist go through life not believing in God, but when their on their deathbed their tone changes very quickly .
Isn't it interesting that the fear of death is what drives them to seek God. It's the exact same thing with most religious people actually. Atheists are simply less scared of death, until death is knocking on their door, then they suddenly worry that they might have been wrong the whole time. In the last seconds of their life, with fear being their ultimate motive, they seek forgiveness from the lord, as if a life of denying God can be forgiven with some last minute ass kissing motivated by the fear of death, and lacking any real desire to submit themselves completely to another being they've denied their whole life. Mark my words, I'm not that pathetic or weak, and even upon my death bed, I will not try to contact God unless God contacts me first.

edit on 15-5-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I don't really understand the meaning of this thread. You start out by saying how some Atheists can be smug and *pompous*, fair enough. Then you finish by telling us a story of ONE single person and his reaction to death and then say that we all would cry to god before our death? Sounds pretty *pompous* to me, just like pompous Christians who claim their religion and their god is the only god and anyone who believes differently is destined to burn in a fiery doom after death. Give me a freakin break, I try to be as respectable as I can to you religious people but when you display this kind of hypocritical garbage my kindness stops.

You wanna talk about Atheists acting like our sh*t don't stink? HA! That's a good one, when you sit there and say we are going to hell because we don't worship and invisible man in the sky? Come on now, really? I find it funny that every single politician caught cheating on his wife is a man of god, what hypocrites you are. I'd say out of all Christians in the world, only 3% can truly call themselves true people of god. Do you follow the "good book" EXACTLY as it is written? No, you don't you've displayed this in your post. Don't gimme this "you would pray for god if you were gonna die" bull. I will never pray to anything, I am a strong enough person to hold myself accountable for everything in my life.

Christian thinking: "I want something, I think rather than work hard for it I'll just pray for it." or "Something bad has happened to me, must be the devil, better get to praying!"

Atheist thinking: "I want something, if I work hard enough for it and set goals for myself I will get it" and "Something bad has happened to me, perhaps I should rethink the decision I made and learn from my mistakes, and work on what caused this problem so that it doesn't repeat itself."

As you can see, we use logic, you use "prayer".

Next please..

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom

Originally posted by pandapowerjamie
reply to post by bdb818888

First of all, discrimination, your assuming everyone is the same, We are all Human Beings. But every PERSON as a whole is unique, individual. We only share the same body, some smaller, some larger, some fitter, some more slugish. I find a sense of irony in your words, considering you sank to a level of what you thought all Atheists are at.

You may have figured that I'm an Atheist by now.

Jamie.

Your discriminating!!!
Its like your saying "yeah you suck at basket ball but its only because your fat, stupid, and have big feet."
And you make no sense what so ever. What should be said is that person just flat out SUCKS and should move on to something else. Does this have anything to do with what the OP was saying NOOOOO...but you went that route.
Now you want to talk about "IRONY." Isnt it an IRONIC FACT that atheist bash people for believing in a religion but they are in a religion themselves?

How about that?

Quit kidding yourselves atheists and just admit that your NO DIFFERENT than a Jew, a Muslim, a Christian...etc.

Now let me ask you *******....what is the problem with believing in MORALS?
Some of you jokers need a religion to keep you non-smart ones from being idiots.
edit on 14-5-2011 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2011 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

Hmmmm, I think this is going to be fun.
-

Did I at any point suggest that I am in a religion or not? I don't care if Atheism is a religion or not, because I'm not part of a cult. It is my faith, my faith in logic and science. The word Atheist has been twisted so much that anything outside what you might call a "religion" is called an Atheist, so essentially it's your pathetic excuse for a targeting system. Anything outside this circle, you must shoot at, k?

"*******" - I don't know if that's a divine gift from "god" to read stars, but I can't read that, would you mind clarifying that with your almighty book of the lord?

Why do we "need" a religion? And if by that you mean, a need to believe in something, then I do believe in something, always have, as a faith, not a cult.

I do have Morals (See below) Just because your too weak minded to comprehend the vast complexities and the simplicities of the universe that you conjure up some higher being who will look after you, awww, do you want a bottle? You have mummy issues.

Accept it, I'm a Human being, I strive forward to keep the next generation going, you know... how evolution intended?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Shaiker

Originally posted by Shaiker
Evolutionism is not fact its theory....

There is no such thing as 'evolutionism'. Evolution, on the other hand, is both a fact and a theory. The fact is that allele frequencies change over time, the theory is the explanations for why and how that happens.

You have faith in that theory that makes you religious... sorry

No, I don't have faith in that theory. I have evidence to support it. I have mountains of evidence and millions of published science documents that verify it.

Theories are things that are highly certain. Just like there is circuit theory.

While it seems plausible there are millions of unanswered question that i am sure will shock every religion if ever they are answered before we kill ourselves off this rock.

Plausible? It's factual.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

No point even trying to have a debate about this my friend. No matter what you say, you are wrong. :/ Noone has any real evidence to show that they are right but they are right because, wait because...?

why are they right again?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by mbartelsm

Is that attitude the main reason I didn't convert when my friends tried to convert me, is not about accepting Jesus, is the fact that you actually believe you are better than other people by believing, but the truth is you are not, after all isn't pride a deadly sin?

Jesus said the exact same thing. He was the way, the truth, and the life and NO MAN could come to the Father but by Him.

I'm not going to apologize for repeating that.

I came to the father without jesus. really, i connect with god every single day and do you know who delivered this salvation unto me? my daughter. perhaps that means that she is the 2nd coming? because I enmesh with the One True God on a daily basis and he told me that jesus was just a guy.

or am i actually talking to satan? since something I learned from god does't fit into your religion?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

No, I actually do have evidence to support my position. I can cite articles from all sorts of academic sources. The only thing that young-earthers can provide are videos from creationist seminars and books by apologists. Not a single piece of evidence from geologists though.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I wasn't pointing that question to you as I am on your side of the argument.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join