It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MAY 11th-EQ 5.3 magnitude SPAIN- Will Rome Get The "Big One" As Predicted Today?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I live 98km from Lorca. Didn't feel anything here, but have had phone calls from family and friends who were concerned.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by manticorex5
we had a 5.0 in Mexico the other day and not a single thing happened, i think it's kinda weird that 10 people died.

Depth plays an important factor in determining the amount of damage sustained during the event. The EQ you're referencing that happened in Guerrero, Mexico on May 5th was over 24KM deep, this one is purportedly only 1KM in depth.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

The I always say any earthquake is a foreshock to a megaquake/end of times, and am generally wrong guy, who talks down to anyone who has a different theory.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Another 4.5

Magnitude ML 4.5
Region SPAIN
Date time 2011-05-11 20:37:45.0 UTC
Location 37.71 N ; 1.60 W
Depth 10 km
Distances 51 km SW Murcia (pop 406,807 ; local time 22:37:45.2 2011-05-11)
9 km E Lorca (pop 86,119 ; local time 22:37:45.2 2011-05-11)

Source parameters provided by another agency

EMSC (is a bitch today btw)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Could there be any aftershocks that are bigger than the initial earthquake

If that was the case then the earlier ones would in fact be fore-shocks. Aftershocks at this level of magnitude may be within 1 or even less magnitude of the main shock.

For the time being if we assume the 'main shock' to be the 5.1 then you could get quakes up to probably 4.5.

Historically this area does not show that trend which makes the fact that there have now been 3 very unusual for the area indeed.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
Not too sure with not being a structural engineer, i'd imagine the first thing to check is the foundations and stability of the church. Then rebuild it back up in individual sections rather than as a entire project. I can't for the life of me remember which church in Italy it was, but before the L'aquila quake there is the infamous footage inside a Italian church with the spire collapsing into the structure while a quake was taking place.

I thought this might have been the one that hit the Basilica of St Francis at Assissi - an earthquake in 1997 damaged a lot of famous artwork, the frescos by Giotto, and vaults collapsed, but maybe not as I see no mention of a spire.

news article on earthquake at Assissi

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon
Another 4.5

Magnitude ML 4.5
Region SPAIN
Date time 2011-05-11 20:37:45.0 UTC
Location 37.71 N ; 1.60 W
Depth 10 km
Distances 51 km SW Murcia (pop 406,807 ; local time 22:37:45.2 2011-05-11)
9 km E Lorca (pop 86,119 ; local time 22:37:45.2 2011-05-11)

Source parameters provided by another agency

EMSC (is a bitch today btw)

Holy Crap! Aftershock or....foreshock??

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
I can't remember the place now exactly, but in NW Africa there is a volcano that has people worried that if it erupts and a big chunk falls off of it that the resulting tsunami would devastate the eastern United States. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Cumbre Vieja

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Regardless of predictions my thoughts go out to the victims of this tragedy.

Being right in these circumstances is no reward...

This could be a build up ....be prepared Please! Where ever you may be.
edit on 11-5-2011 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Shenon

This one seems to have vanished off the USGS listing.

Wonder if it will go from EMSC as well.

Edit: Don't think it ever made it on it actually. The 4 is saw was EMSC now up to 4.5.

edit on 11/5/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Could there be any aftershocks that are bigger than the initial earthquake

If that was the case then the earlier ones would in fact be fore-shocks. Aftershocks at this level of magnitude may be within 1 or even less magnitude of the main shock.

For the time being if we assume the 'main shock' to be the 5.1 then you could get quakes up to probably 4.5.

Historically this area does not show that trend which makes the fact that there have now been 3 very unusual for the area indeed.

Thanks for replying mate
appreciate it. I knew about foreshocks and stuff I'm wondering if these are the foreshocks?? Could they have foreshocks then a big earthequake a few hours later?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skittle
reply to post by Shenon

That would be terrible. The construction of the building in Spain are utterly sh!t and that is no understatement.
edit on 11-5-2011 by Skittle because: (no reason given)

The electrics are a shambles. I was eating al fresco at a restuarant in Hondon last year when all the overhead cables started arcing.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Ah here we go. St.Francis in Assisi (Italy) Mag 5.6 hit in 1997.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Could they have foreshocks then a big earthequake a few hours later?

Indeed, except they would have earthquakes which are not fore-shocks and then a big one later which would make them fore-shocks at that time if you see what I am saying.

They are not fore-shocks until a bigger one happens.

For example no one thought the Mag 7+ in Japan was a fore-shock on the 9th March until the 9.0 happened on the 11th.

edit on 11/5/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hundroid

Oh haha, "hopefully it won't trigger Italy's fault lines
" How hysterically FN coy of you to say that. Whats wrong with you? Do you have the feeling of compassion in you at all? Or do you really want to see An Ancient city turned into ruins? You are really sick for trying to use sarcasm in a situation like this. Especially with the use of that ridiculous caricature with the smiling face and waving tongue.

When I looked online at the news this morning and saw about the quake in Spain, I obviously thought, "Hm, Spain's right across the gulf from Italy. How ironic, considering a huge quake was predicted to happen in Rome today. Maybe it might trigger aftershocks in that small gulf, creating a tsunami." No, "haha, I told you so!", since I'm an ATS member and truly believed that a quake was going to happen in that region today.

It was so upsetting for me to see that stupid smiley face after the comment that (what? Humanoid?) that person left. I had to get my password from my email, log on and say something about it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
New images starting to emerge of the carnage unleashed. Hard to imagine one minute your in a quiet Spanish town, probobally the only annoying thing is those mopeds they have riding around. The next minute this...

twitpic.com...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

LMAO the mopeds. When we went on holiday this guy crashed his moped and some Russian guy looked at me and went "sweet justice"

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
New images starting to emerge of the carnage unleashed. Hard to imagine one minute your in a quiet Spanish town, probobally the only annoying thing is those mopeds they have riding around. The next minute this...

twitpic.com...

Those poor people, you can see one casualty being tended to by a would be good samaritan in the background of this image. It looks like the whole side of that building came down on top of him...horrible.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I'm in Madrid which is pretty far from the epicenter.
My wife said the fan shook and the clothes on the hangers moved.
but thats it. It didn't wake me from my ciesta.
people are surprised but thats about it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I love how the majority here are simply waiting for some humongous event, disaster, or alien invasion to take place, constantly, always on the verge, waiting, sitting idly, going around in circles, looking at anything or anyone that might fulfill the moronic 'predictions' by the charlatans that often linger around here like ghosts.. . .
Predictions about earthquakes, alien invasions are made, the date passes, and nothing. . . and then, some imbecile says that it's another date. . . and the game goes on. . . never ending. . . wasting their pathetic existence on absurd theories, predictions, and so on. . . ask yourself what THAT type of behavior does to a life. . . does it make it any better, does it fulfill some higher purpose?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join