It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida governor to impose drug testing on welfare recipients...will get rich out of it

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsleptIdreamt
People who develop useful and successful business should be rewarded. I don't see why it is corrupt for his wife to benefit - because it is a free market and competitors will benefit too. As long as this is public information, how does it harm anyone?

Can you "Conflict of Interest"?

Even though he may not have intended to cause a CoI. It's somewhat inappropriate for someone in office to have a relative benefit through his actions.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
All the people who are going on about welfare are blinded by the smokescreen that is hiding this blatant corruption. You guys are falling for his trap, hook, line and sinker. Lets just keep going on about welfare when this is actually about a governor's corrupt plan to hook-up his wife's business with an endless income through a government program. It is so easy for this guy to push your buttons and obscure the truth of the matter!

Edit to add: To all those who said that they have to drug test to keep their job, that is the same as saying you are guilty until you can prove you're innocent. That might seem to be a good business practice, but it is not something that our government should be doing. Let's just arrest random people off the street on drug charges and then test them. I'm sure it's not that hard to fake the results of your test, esp. if you are on their hit list.
edit on 11-5-2011 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last comment

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone
This is awesome, in my opinion
I had to pass a drug test for my job
I am subject to random testing by my employer
I am sick to death of paying taxes to support the gang banging drug dealer on welfare who:
-commits all the heineous crimes in the area
-sleeps all day
-sells drugs to the kids in the community
-keeps his crack whore girlfriend knocked up so they can get more assistance
all on MY tax dollar.

Simple solution: Dont wanna get drug tested? GET OFF WELFARE!

Amen my friend. As I was reading through the responses, I was wondering why I was the only one who thought it was a good idea. It sucks how they set up the drug testing process and how it will all be for profit. I could see if the welfare (or TANF) offices did the testing as they do pregnancy, HIV, etc testing. That might make more sense. But all in all, I totally believe that if you are going to apply for assistance, you should be drug tested. And it's not out of assumption that everyone who needs assistance is on drugs. It should just be standard procedure.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well good on the Governer! Now his solution isn't perfect, as I am sure the recipients could be just giving the money to the drug addicted mothers to go buy their crack. This is a big problem in Florida, these mothers should actually lose their children. (I am not talking pot here, and I still think this will catch the other offenders as it will be random and unannounced, hopefully.)

It's about time they're doing something about it though. Maybe they'll be referred to DCF too if they find them tested positive. Then they can get off the crack.

edit on 11-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It was almost a good idea, minus all of the corruption, expense and bad ideas

We do need stricter guidelines for people that government checks, though.
edit on 11-5-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Geez, that governor only has to look at these threads to see how many can be fooled by this obvious ploy. It's a trick and too many are falling for it! That burns me far more than his attempt at corruption. I personally will deny ignorance on this baloney. It not about welfare and drugs, its about lining his pockets from a position of power!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone
This is awesome, in my opinion
I had to pass a drug test for my job
I am subject to random testing by my employer
I am sick to death of paying taxes to support the gang banging drug dealer on welfare who:
-commits all the heineous crimes in the area
-sleeps all day
-sells drugs to the kids in the community
-keeps his crack whore girlfriend knocked up so they can get more assistance
all on MY tax dollar.

Simple solution: Dont wanna get drug tested? GET OFF WELFARE!

I agree with you 110%

AMEN BROTHER!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

yep the scum have completly taken over and they aren't even trying to hide it anymore

seriously this man and his wife along with the cronies he works for should be in jail

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

I agree with you 200%

Amen Brother! Someone who gets it!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Nice answer, but where do you think this government money comes from? They either have it printed for them in thin air by the Federal Reserve, or working people like you and I have it taxed from us. Suck on the government's tit all you want, at least some of the money is coming back to you instead of being funded for illegal wars.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If the governor wanted an effective program to eliminate street drugs in Florida he should be condoning a top down approach targeting the criminal elements at the top of the distribution network. Time and time again I've watched the police sweep down on the easy to prosecute street dealers who are considered expendable. Further up the distribution chain the smarter players keep a distance between the product and themselves. When the street dealers get busted they are just simply replaced.

Even when the police know who the higher ups are, they often do nothing. Its sort of like the Miami Vice glotification where the cops stay in bed with the dealers forever. There is this illusion of enforcement that gets satisfied by arresting the very bottom elements of society. So I guess I would have to agree with the notion that Scott is trying to make a buck off the problem without really addressing the issue.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Wether this is health care or welfare, it is about the power to corrupt what would otherwise be a great idea.
And we watch as it all unfolds, with our hands tied. No jobs, no healthcare, no safety net, from a system i've been paying into for 20 years.

Does it stop at drug testing, control of food choices, education level, eye color, hair color.

If I've paid into the system for 20 years...it is none of your damn business what I spend my money on...as far as I am concerned it has always been my my money!

They (politicians) are all the same. Guess what Rick Scott will get his money from both ends.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Denco

But all in all, I totally believe that if you are going to apply for assistance, you should be drug tested.

I totally agree - but only if their welfare money is completely withdrawn when they test positive for drugs. Yes? Otherwise what would be the point of the test? Yes?

But this is not what is happening.

Here is a present-day scenario from what I can gather:
Let's say I am a druggie and I apply for welfare and get drug tested at the state/taxpayers' expense.I TEST POSITIVE - BUT MY WELFARE MONEY IS NOT WITHDRAWN - I STILL RECEIVE IT.
I am the apple of my dear ole Granny's eye, and she just brings it right on over to me after they've paid it to her.

So, considering the above example, the purpose of drug-testing welfare recipients is ............... ?

Anyone?
edit on 11-5-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
reply to post by Denco

But all in all, I totally believe that if you are going to apply for assistance, you should be drug tested.

I totally agree - but only if their welfare money is completely withdrawn when they test positive for drugs. Yes? Otherwise what would be the point of the test? Yes?

Let's say I am a druggie and I apply for welfare and get drug tested at the state/taxpayers' expense.I TEST POSITIVE - BUT MY WELFARE MONEY IS NOT WITHDRAWN - I STILL RECEIVE IT.
I am the apple of my dear ole Granny's eye, and she just brings it right on over to me after they've paid it to her.

So, considering the above example, the purpose of drug-testing welfare recipients is ............... ?

Anyone?

I wish I could give you more stars!!!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
reply to post by Denco

Anyone?

Really good points, but I somehow think it's going to go a little differently. I think (now This is an assumption only) that they are saying some of it but not all of what really will happen. I think they will turn those testing positive into the Division of Children and Families, in other words they will end up doing one of two things: requiring a drug program to keep your children or if you deny the help, remove your children in both cases someone else has to be the payee under the law, until such time as they complete a program or prove they themselves to be clean to get their children returned. That is my belief because under the law they must turn in drug usage to DCF to investigate if they suspect the parent is using and if they know the parent is using (as per drug testing) they are obligated under the law to turn it into DCF.
edit on 11-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: fix spelling aaaaaaaaaaaaa

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

People will find a way around it, they always do. But we need to do something! I'm open to anything but you cant condemn a plan just because there are ways around it. This system was NEVER meant to be what it is and we can not maintain a system where the taxpayer foots the bill for generations of people who dont want to work. I have worked with these familys and seen first hand what goes on in these households. Children being taken by the state, rampant drug use, families torn apart by drugs, alcohol and prison. If these people just want sit around and smoke weed all day, fine by me, but I dont see why my tax dollars have to support your habit. The sad thing is, the people that really need this money, rarely get the help they need.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Everyone ignored the truth I posted...

I'm at my desk NOW because I work for the welfare program.

Firstly, being as I don't really fit in with this line of work, I talk freely to the customers. I know a good percentage of them personally. Most of you have this idea of welfare customers that isn't factual. It's a lie that has been created since at least the "Reagan welfare queen" days.

I'd say 90% of our customers don't use drugs! I live in a large Florida city too, not some lil neck town. I'd venture to say that the 10% who do use drugs...the drug is merely weed. I'm not scared to say I've dealt in harder drugs and know what those characters look and act like. I don't see ONE of those people in our office.

So educate yourselves on welfare and stop eating that tea party/Rightwing propaganda! You'll be surprised at who has to accept cash assistance in this day. Some of my customers were former CEO's. Many are educated. So some of you who are sitting here talking about the gubments tit need to hush. YOU may one day be on public assistance. In fact, unless things change for the better soon, a good number of us will need cash assistance!

There's nothing funnier to me than seeing clients at my desk who I guess are Conservative/Tea Party/Right Wing/Anti-Gubment. They sit there with their arms folded, as if they expect me to judge them. Before I can say hello, they yell something like, "This is my first time needing this!" I laugh inside because some of those people I can tell are posting at this site, swearing about "suckin the gubments tit".

What is "mooching off the gubment" anyway? I didn't know the government was a company.

What the governor did was two part in this decision, and I"m surprised many people at THIS site fall for it. Many people at this site talk out their neck that they are for freedom, but in actuality they're for freedom as long as everyone has their same beliefs. Those people are hypocrits and liars. They are oppressors.

But what the govenor did was he firstly, injected his personal belief concerning morality into politics. The instrument that causes much oppression. People who achieve positions of power and are intent upon legislating everyone into behaving a certain way, having the same beliefs, etc. The govenor believes people doing drugs is wrong...probably due to religion. The result; soon as he obtains a position of power, he attempts to CONTROL people.

Secondly, he KNOW there's plenty of people who think like him in their desire to control other people. And that right now, it's a hot topic to chase after "the people on the public dole", the "people who're STEALING from tax payors".

He is a member of the bully society as are most of you who support his decision. Why go after little, weak people who can't fight for themselves? You people are disgusting. It brings to mind something someone once posted on this forum:

A CEO, a middle class person and a poor person are sitting to a table with 12 cookies on it. The CEO proudly reaches out and takes 11 of the cookies. He then looks at the middle class person and says, "Watch out...that poor guy wants your cookie".

Using this situation, the people who support this Bill are the middle class person who are too cowardly to take 4 of the cookies from the CEO. Oh No...they immediately begin fighting the poor person over ONE cookie! DISGUSTING and COWARDLY!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyrodude
reply to post by doobydoll

People will find a way around it, they always do. But we need to do something! I'm open to anything but you cant condemn a plan just because there are ways around it. This system was NEVER meant to be what it is and we can not maintain a system where the taxpayer foots the bill for generations of people who dont want to work. I have worked with these familys and seen first hand what goes on in these households. Children being taken by the state, rampant drug use, families torn apart by drugs, alcohol and prison. If these people just want sit around and smoke weed all day, fine by me, but I dont see why my tax dollars have to support your habit. The sad thing is, the people that really need this money, rarely get the help they need.

This is wrong because the little bit of money they get isn't enough to survive on. It's a LIE perpetrated by LIARS that people receiving cash assistance are all drug addicts who use the little bit of money (the average family of three will receive 250-303 dollars per month) they receive for drugs. That single mother has to provide for two children with that little bit of money for the entire month.

Also, the money isn't free, so they aren't getting free money. They have to complete (depending upon the age of the kids) a minimum of 87-130 hours of community service in exchange for that cash. Most inform me that the cash isn't even worth it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
they're saying they are doing this for the safety and welfare of the recipients, yet if you test positive, they are not offering rehab or any sort of treatment.

if it was really on compassionate grounds, they would have the testing, with no penalties and offer alternatives.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
I wonder why Scott is stopping at illegal Drugs???? Why not alcohol, cig.'s, fattening fast foods, etc.....O' maybe this will come next.....will they ever stop trying to run a persons life? I doubt it.....
edit on 11-5-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

Huhhhh? State and federal money is OUR money. If an alcoholic staggered up to you and asked for a couple hundred dollars a month, would you give him the money, knowing full well he won't even feed his kids on it, but drink it in one sitting!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join